PDA

View Full Version : Have Pattern, Need Yarn

flipoid
09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I have a pattern for a baby sweater from a book by Erika Knight called "Simple Knits for Cherished Babies." It's a Jaeger cashmere yarn that's 90% cashmere/10% polyamide that, according to the book, is "a 4 ply yarn that knits as a double knitting weight yarn." The recommended tension is 28 stitches and 36 rows to 4 inches using US 3 needles.

Since the book was published in 2001, I'm supposing that the company has discontinued the yarn. I don't have a yarn store nearby (closest is about 2 hours away) and I haven't been able to find it online. Any suggestions for either where I can find this yarn or a subsitute yarn (doesn't have to be cashmere blend) that would be suitable would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

flipoid

jeanius80
09-04-2007, 01:05 AM
i would think any dk weight yarn would work....i would use a nice soft wool blend, or cotton blend. HTH

jillliv
09-04-2007, 08:45 AM
have a look on ebay - you can often find discontinued yarn on there.:thumbsup:

Julie
09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I just checked on Ravelry and here are some of the yarns that people have used to make that sweater:

Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere
RYC Cashsoft Baby DK
Dale of Noraway baby Ull (that one is soooo cute :heart:)
Blue Sky Alpacas Sport Weight
Rowan Wool Cotton
Sirdar Snuggly DK

Obviously there's a bit of variance as far as yarn weight goes...but with a baby pattern there's a little room for that, IMO. :)

flipoid
09-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; they will definitely help.

I did look on eBay for the Jaeger cashmere, but couldn't find any. Of course, they could call it by some catchy yarn name that I don't know about, but the book just calls it "Jaeger cashmere."

I want to do make this pattern because it's all in one piece and I won't have to seam sleeves into armholes. I am not ready to tackle that. I also want to get a kit (when I can get to a yarn store) for the famous tulip baby sweater because someone I met at a yarn store a couple of weeks ago was knitting it and she said that the sleeves are knit from stitches that have been placed on holders, not as separate pieces.

I have a large skein of a Bernat baby yarn (forget what they call it) that's dk weight (got it from Wal-mart--that's my "local yarn store!"); I might try this pattern with that just to see how well I can knit it.

Thanks again for your suggestions; I'm going to copy the suggested substitutions into a file and save it to look for some of those yarns to use.

Ingrid
09-04-2007, 09:10 PM
When I knit baby stuff, I always make sure it's machine washable. Who wants to hand wash baby stuff?