PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful scarf/wrap!

Jan in CA
09-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you seen this?! Gorgeous!
http://www.knittingdaily.com/posts/scarves_belts/208-1.html

zkimom
09-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I just looked at that about 15 minutes ago -- I love it.

But can you imagine how much it would cost to make out of the Kidsilk? That's about $13 a skein and I counted 10 colors in that scarf.

But dreamy it is! :inlove:

Jan in CA
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, if I do it I'm afraid I'll have to use something else. :think:

Nakia
09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
That scarf/wrap is beautiful. :inlove:

dip's mom
09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
the new 'issue' of knitting daily just posted the actual amount of yarn needed for each color. The actual amounts of each color are relatively small and can make the actual expense of this project less and the choices of yarn larger.

SusanMarie1956
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I know , it must cost a lot to make that. That's why when I see a pattern, I try to make sure I can use the yarn I have.

Jan in CA
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
the new 'issue' of knitting daily just posted the actual amount of yarn needed for each color. The actual amounts of each color are relatively small and can make the actual expense of this project less and the choices of yarn larger.

That's cool, but you'd still have to buy a whole skein wouldn't you? I wonder if it would work some other type of yarn..I'm not a fan of mohair anyway.. :think:

brendajos
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah you would probably still have to buy a skein of each yarn but i don't think you would have to buy more than one of any, unless your yardage was REALLY short. You could probably buy something soft and smooshy from KP even for it.

Sample scarf weighs: 2.7 oz/78 g

Total yardage: About 826 yd/755 m

Color A: (lime green) 94 yd/86 m

Color B: (orange) 94 yd/86 m

Color C: (rose) 98 yd/90 m

Color D: (lavender) 112 yd/102 m

Color E: (medium blue) 105 yd/96 m

Color F: (gold) 89 yd/81 m

Color G: (pale blue) 72 yd/66 m

Color H: (dark red) 72 yd/66 m

Color I: (grey) 90 yd/82 m

cookworm
09-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Just GORGEOUS! :muah: Must...resist...temptation...to plan for another project!

This might be made more affordable if a couple of friends wanted to go in on the total yarn purchase and make one for themselves sharing the yarn, if there's enough on each skein for each color to do so.

GinnyG
09-06-2007, 05:26 AM
That is beautiful. I haven't downloaded the pattern yet but it looks like ALOT of seaming (I'm assuming those are individual squares).

Mirl56
09-06-2007, 06:18 AM
I haven't looked at the pattern yet, either, but I was assuming after the first square, the next one has you picking up stitches so they are all attached, no additional seeming.

zkimom
09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I haven't looked at the pattern yet, either, but I was assuming after the first square, the next one has you picking up stitches so they are all attached, no additional seeming.

You are right -- I just looked at the pattern and it's all pick up and knit.

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
That yardage chart is great! If you don't have yarn you'd still have buy full skeins, but it's very helpful!

And yes, I think it doesn't have seams! Whew! :teehee:

Jess_knit
09-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I love that pattern! 9 balls of Kidsilk Haze is far out of my budget, though...I'm shopping around for much cheaper yarns. I'm wondering what kind of look the scarf would have in Knitpicks palette?

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I love that pattern! 9 balls of Kidsilk Haze is far out of my budget, though...I'm shopping around for much cheaper yarns. I'm wondering what kind of look the scarf would have in Knitpicks palette?

I was looking at the fingering yarn in KP, too. It would be about half the price or more!

dip's mom
09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
you don't have to seam all the squares-- you pick up stitches from adjoining squares. You will have to weave in the yarn ends though with the change in color.

brendajos
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
ooh look... you could go to Sarah's Yarns and get this Kid Mohair Silk in the natural colorway in 25 gram increments (which is 325 yards) for $6 each and then dye it to the colors you want.

http://www.sarahsyarns.com/SYKidMohairSilk.html

now i don't know anything about dying so i can't be held responsible for what is probably a really bad idea but still...lol. it SOUNDS plausible in my head anyway. ;)

(my real initial thought was buying cones of yarns and y'all who want to make this going in on it together and then splitting up all the cones etc.... the cost was super cheap to do it that way but i wouldn't want to be the one winding off all that yarn, even with a yarn winder....lol)

Jess_knit
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
ooh look... you could go to Sarah's Yarns and get this Kid Mohair Silk in the natural colorway in 25 gram increments (which is 325 yards) for $6 each and then dye it to the colors you want.

http://www.sarahsyarns.com/SYKidMohairSilk.html

now i don't know anything about dying so i can't be held responsible for what is probably a really bad idea but still...lol. it SOUNDS plausible in my head anyway. ;)

(my real initial thought was buying cones of yarns and y'all who want to make this going in on it together and then splitting up all the cones etc.... the cost was super cheap to do it that way but i wouldn't want to be the one winding off all that yarn, even with a yarn winder....lol)

Ohhh :inlove:

Thank you!

Quiltlady
09-09-2007, 06:19 AM
A few days ago I made three of the first blocks. I used wool yarn. The blocks are easy to do but I didn't like how it looked in the wool. Plus it has a "private" side to it so you'd have to be sure the "public" side is the side that shows when wearing it.

I ripped it out and may try it again when I buy a nicer yarn...something softer than the wool I tried.

Brandilyne
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Oooh Quiltlady, thank you for that update! I was going to come in here and holler :lol: at Jan for getting me all riled up to knit this, hee. After she mentioned perhaps using another type of yarn from KP, I went crazy searching online this weekend, and came up with a couple colorways out of some other yarns. The biggest problem is finding something that has 9 shades that look nice together that I can afford without being forced to live in a van down by the river!! I think you could do it in the Peruvian Highland Silk fingering weight or the PH superwash wool fingering weight at elann. Or perhaps a mix of the two? I'm really liking brendajo's idea of the silk mohair at sarah's yarns, but you have to dye that with real dye, not kool-aid, right? I'm not that advanced yet :oops:

I was wondering if not doing it in a mohair blend would look strange. Do you think it needs to have that halo effect? I've never worked with a lace weight mohair before and aside from being scared to death of it, I think that stuff is itchy :teehee: Honestly, I always feel up all the yarn at my LYS's and I've wanted to buy some mohair to do the Wisp pattern on knitty but everytime I touch it I get the heebie jeebies, hee.

Does anyone have any other suggestioins, because I think I've now convinced myself that I neeeeeeed to knit this.

Jan in CA
09-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Oooh Quiltlady, thank you for that update! I was going to come in here and holler :lol: at Jan for getting me all riled up to knit this, hee.

:teehee:

I don't like mohair so if it doesn't look good in something else I'll probably not make it. I'm still looking, but I'm busy with other projects for now so it's on the back burner.

Jess_knit
09-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm really liking brendajo's idea of the silk mohair at sarah's yarns, but you have to dye that with real dye, not kool-aid, right? I'm not that advanced yet :oops:

:oo: I was hoping I could use Wilton's dye for the yarn I bought! Yikes. Now I must do google research on dying. I really hope I don't have to buy dye too! (Though I will if I have to, I love this scarf) :-P

EDIT: After a quick check through a couple articles on dying with Wilton's/Kool-aid dye, I think they can be used for any natural fiber, including silk and mohair (which apparently takes it wonderfully). Phew! So, Brandilyne, don't rule out Sarah's Yarns yet :)

dip's mom
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I ordered (and received) kid merino by crystal palace from yarncountry in various colors. It was $5.15 a skein. There were several colors to choose from. The yarn is quite soft and certainly less expensvie than kidsilk haze. Kid merino is a mohair and wool blend.

Brandilyne
09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Jess_knit, ooops! Sorry about that, for some reason I was thinking it was silk that you can't dye with kool-aid/food coloring, but I looked last night too and saw that it is considered a protein fiber. Silly me :blush: So, I won't rule out that pretty silk and mohair yarn at Sarah's yarns yet!

dip's mom, thanks for pointing out that site! I can't believe I've never visited it before, I thought I was a thorough yarn whore, heh. That looks like a great price on the Kid Merino too!

I think I might have had a little epiphany on another yarn choice that won't itch me (or frighten me beyond all sense). I used some Ironstone Flake Cotton yarn (http://www.yarns-and.com/Ironstone/IScottonflake.htm) for a cute drop stitch wrap this summer and I think it might work very well for this scarf! It is a thick and thin almost slubby type of yarn and is soooo soft. Plus, it comes in lovely bright colors and one of my LYS's carries a TON of it for like $4 a ball. It won't have the halo effect, but the odd little slubs of cotton will give it a bit of texture.

You realize I have no business lusting after this scarf in ANY YARN, as I have a gazillion Christmas projects awaiting me, not to mention a charity fiber craft auction to knit for as well! :whistle:

Go away Modern Quilt Wrap of Gorgeousness, GO AWAY!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Jess_knit
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
So...my yarn came today from Sarah's Yarns, but there's a problem. On the website, it said 25 gram skeins, 325 yards each. I ordered 3 skeins total. When I look at the tag on the yarn, it says 25 gram skein, 230 yards each. Which means I'm about 200 yards short of what I need! :gah:

I really don't want to have to pay more postage to order another skein, so I'm going to contact the owner first and see what can be done...ugh.

Brandilyne
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
ACK!!! :noway: I hope she is willing to sell you another skein and ship it for free or at the very least, next to nothing!

On a happier note, how is the yarn? Is it pretty? I love to pet new yarn :drool:

Jess_knit
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, so I decided to see for myself what the yardage was before shooting off an angry email. I wound the lilac skein into three different skeins on my 2-yard niddy noddy, and ended up with APPROXIMATELY 310 yards - which means I should have enough yarn after all (as long as the two natural skeins have similar yardage)! Phew! I might send her an email anyway, just to let her know of the information discrepency...

The yarn itself is lovely, though! Cloudlike and soft. I think it'll make a perfect scarf once I dye it :heart:

Marni
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I saved that pattern a few days or so ago. It won't be made in no $13/skein though... ack!

I thought I read somewere on knittingdaily (which I conveniently can't find now of course) that after careful weighing of the yarn it's been determined that TWO scarves are possible from the required yardage. So ... only $65 per scarf. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

Jess_knit
09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, knittingdaily posted a breakdown of the yarn requirements for each color, and said it would be possible to get 2 wraps from 9 skeins of Kidsilk Haze :)

(Here (http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/wraps/Modern_Quilt_Wrap207-1.html) is the link)

Doodknitwit
10-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Have you seen this?! Gorgeous!
http://www.knittingdaily.com/posts/scarves_belts/208-1.html

Our LYS had a retreat last in the spring and had a few kits for this wrap left... Don't know the price ..

here's their link:

http://www.cottageyarninc.com/
:blooby:

worth a call :yay: