PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for 100% Mercerized Cotton?

astonh
09-04-2007, 05:45 PM
UPDATED QUESTION:
Pattern called for the above with the following gauge of 20 sts/27 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch on #5 needles. Best I can tell from gauge guides is this is a DK weight yarn?

Best options I could find (as I couldn't find this yarn in the colors I wanted) was from KP but I don't know WHICH is best substitute and would GREATLY appreciate you guys/gals' wise and all-knowing input on this.

First is the CotLin...
Content: 70% Tanguis Cotton, 30% Linen
DK weight
Gauge: 5.5 sts=1" on #5-7 needles

Second Choice is the prettier ShineSport...
Content: 60% Pima Cotton, 40% Modal®
Weight: Sport Weight
Gauge: 6 sts=1" on #3-5 needles (could you just use larger needles to get pattern guage?)

PLEASE Advise?? In case it helps any, this is for a simple sweater.

Mucho Gracias!

ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Is there anything that I could use that is machine washable (even if only on delicate?) With two young kids, I REALLY need machine washable...if possible, but the pattern wants this stuff.

Your help is appreciated.

Silver
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
You can machine wash and dry mercerized cotton. It may lose some lustre, but it's not going to damage the yarn any. If the yarn says hand wash only, it's probably just because they want to preserve the "fanciness". lol

If you'd rather not use mercerized, use a non mercerized cotton yarn. Sugar n cream is a good choice for kids because it's pretty hardy and inexpensive. Knit Picks Shine is also a good choice.

earthchick
09-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I would highly recommend KP Shine. It knits great, looks great, and has a bit more give to it than 100% cotton.. It's going to be my new "go-to" yarn for baby blankets and other baby gifts.

astonh
09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay, I found a KP Shine Sport and a Worsted (fear Worsted may be too large?) and a CotLin from KP as well. Guages are noted in the original post I did (updated). Which would you recommend I go with? It is for a simple adult sweater..

Thanks!!!!

suzeeq
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I've got the Shine worsted and it's pretty thick, so would not work as a sub very well. There's also Lion Cotton Ease and Microspun, and Paton's Grace to consider. Hobby Lobby has a mercerized cotton called Sinfonia.

Debbie
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I love CotLin from KP ... and have a picture of a swatch of all the colors somewhere here on KnittingHelp ... but I CAN'T find it !!!

Here it is http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=55045&highlight=cotlin

debinoz
09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I have some Sinfonia from HL. I haven't knit with it yet, but it is pretty light/thin. The recommended needle size is US4. I was going to knit more golf club covers using a baby sock pattern.