PDA

View Full Version : IBS- anyone?

Stonington
09-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Morning all,

not a great topic--but would really appreciate any words of wisdom from this great :heart: group of folks.

It seems that my IBS symptoms are getting considerably worse. I am getting desparate - the meds that the doc perscribed make me sooo sleepy that I can not function at work. I feel worn out- want to get back to as normal as I can.. There is a ton :passedout: of literature on the web--but what is really helpful?

TIA-- :hug:
anne

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Go natural, so to speak.

I would go to my local health food store and inquire. There are so many ways you can deal with this nutritionally. I speak from experience. I was "diagnosed" with this many years ago. The medicine made me quite sick, so I quit taking it and did a lot of research. I mixed aloe vera juice with fruit drinks (fresh, of course). It was very soothing.

Try reading Jordan Rubin's health book. He had Crohn's Disease (which my dh has) for years and got better by eating a more natural diet and supplementing.

Hugs to you. I've lived with it and know how it feels. My dh continues to fight the symptoms of Crohn's, so I know it can be an ongoing battle. :hug:

Stonington
09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Go natural, so to speak.

I would go to my local health food store and inquire. There are so many ways you can deal with this nutritionally. I speak from experience. I was "diagnosed" with this many years ago. The medicine made me quite sick, so I quit taking it and did a lot of research. I mixed aloe vera juice with fruit drinks (fresh, of course). It was very soothing.

Try reading Jordan Rubin's health book. He had Crohn's Disease (which my dh has) for years and got better by eating a more natural diet and supplementing.

Hugs to you. I've lived with it and know how it feels. My dh continues to fight the symptoms of Crohn's, so I know it can be an ongoing battle. :hug:

Aloe Vera juice.. I will have to go to the healthfood store this weekend and find some. Thank you for the advice. I did just come across this book:
Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy (http://amazon.com/dp/1569246009/ref=s9_asin_title_1/102-7446396-3384929?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=09DE2Z8DWNARYCDXN9VD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240701&pf_rd_i=507846)
I read some of the pages that were available online and I think I may pick it up on my way home.
Medication does not agree with me... I would really like to try and control this with diet. :hug:thanks again--and for the hug as well.

anne

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Diverticular disease, IBS and possible Crohn's here (dr. still testing). My experience is that diet change is the way to go along with supplements (I take acidophilus supplements). Limit fat intake, go light on meals and make sure you don't get constipated by taking a fiber supplement and drinking lots and lots of water. Also, keep track of your diet and see what flares you up. You might be surprised what will bring on an episode. I just ate some fresh peas a few weeks back and spent the weekend in agony debating whether to go to the ER again. Fresh corn did send me to the ER with a flaming case of diverticulitis that kept me there for a week. I don't eat anything in large quantities and monitor how it makes me feel before eating it again. Oh yeah and avoid stress! Fun times. :gah:

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Diverticular disease, IBS and possible Crohn's here (dr. still testing). My experience is that diet change is the way to go along with supplements (I take acidophilus supplements). Limit fat intake, go light on meals and make sure you don't get constipated by taking a fiber supplement and drinking lots and lots of water. Also, keep track of your diet and see what flares you up. You might be surprised what will bring on an episode. I just ate some fresh peas a few weeks back and spent the weekend in agony debating whether to go to the ER again. Fresh corn did send me to the ER with a flaming case of diverticulitis that kept me there for a week. I don't eat anything in large quantities and monitor how it makes me feel before eating it again. Oh yeah and avoid stress! Fun times. :gah:

Stress- yes I think that I am greatly influenced by it. I use to be able to go with the flow very well... the more pressure the better I worked.. now all has changed. and having this at work can just add to the existing stress lol... like the never ending story. I thought once they took my gall bladder things would change. Do you find that the acidophilus suppliments help? You poor babe though.. I have only ended up at the hospital once. but then all the tests.. only to find nothing....can be very frustrating :shrug:. I send you many hugs! :hug:and thank you for the response.

anne

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I have come to realize that medicine has such bad side affects that it sometimes is worse to take it than not.

Acidophilus is very important. It places the good bacteria into your system.

Another thing that is very important is a good probiotic. Do some reading for the specific benefits (dh got us started taking them after he did some research). The good brands usually have to be refrigerated. They will be in the refrigerated section at your health food store.

I don't know if you have a juicer, but I HIGHLY recommend this. Fresh carrot juice is very nutritional and will allow your cells to repair themselves. It has live enzymes that are so very important to our bodies. You can make it with some spinach and apple. Yum! It's really very good and sweet (if you get decent carrots). Plus, your body doesn't have to expend energy digesting the carrot because the juicer removes the pulp.

I bought a Champion juicer years ago, and it's just fabulous. You want one that masticates (sounds dirty, eh?). It mashes the item (fruit, veggie) to remove the juice. The pulp comes out one part while the comes out another.

Take it slowly with the research. It's very overwhelming. But do incorporate a few things at least until you get comfortable with the product terminology.

Like I said before, I highly recommend Jordan's book. He really does a great job explaining HOW our bodies work. By doing so, you understand why certain foods affect certain parts. It's just fascinating!

Hang in there. You're on the right road simply by being open-minded and asking questions.

vaknitter
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Crohn's ... stopped all meds about 4 yrs ago b/c of side effect. For me the Aloe Vera juice made things worse...Probiotics have been a saving grace for me. Go to a health food store and check out what they have. It should all be refrigerated. THe brand I buy is FloraMor in a blue bottle.

Can you re-evaluate your diet to see if there is something you're eating that is upsetting your system?

I must admit that when stress gets really bad and before my wedding/honeymoon I take a 6-10day taper of prednisone to reduce inflammation. That time frame isn't enough to give me weight gain or withdrawal symptoms.

If you would like any more info just PM me...I've been doing this for almost 10yrs and was down to 98lbs at 5'11" when diagnosed.

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I do notice a calmness with the acidolphilus pills and they seem to even things out. Oh yeah, one more thing....exercise!! You don't have to be an aerobic instructor but I find that a good walk around the block or 30 minutes on the exercise bike helps alot. Somehow the moving around makes the intestines do their job without giving me grief, I think it eliminates stress more than anything. I hope you can find your mix of what works for ya', don't quit trying, you'll get there.
I told my husband I wanted a new colon for my 40th birthday!:roflhard:

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I have come to realize that medicine has such bad side affects that it sometimes is worse to take it than not.

Acidophilus is very important. It places the good bacteria into your system.

Another thing that is very important is a good probiotic. Do some reading for the specific benefits (dh got us started taking them after he did some research). The good brands usually have to be refrigerated. They will be in the refrigerated section at your health food store.

I don't know if you have a juicer, but I HIGHLY recommend this. Fresh carrot juice is very nutritional and will allow your cells to repair themselves. It has live enzymes that are so very important to our bodies. You can make it with some spinach and apple. Yum! It's really very good and sweet (if you get decent carrots). Plus, your body doesn't have to expend energy digesting the carrot because the juicer removes the pulp.

I bought a Champion juicer years ago, and it's just fabulous. You want one that masticates (sounds dirty, eh?). It mashes the item (fruit, veggie) to remove the juice. The pulp comes out one part while the comes out another.

Take it slowly with the research. It's very overwhelming. But do incorporate a few things at least until you get comfortable with the product terminology.

Like I said before, I highly recommend Jordan's book. He really does a great job explaining HOW our bodies work. By doing so, you understand why certain foods affect certain parts. It's just fascinating!

Hang in there. You're on the right road simply by being open-minded and asking questions.
:flirt:Masticates - ok... :) I do not have a juicer. I think that I have seen them at Royal River though (HFS). It seems that most of the juices at the grocery store have lots of other "stuff" in them--and not much natural juice. I will look for Jordan's book when at Borders this afternoon. Thank you for the recommendation. I have read a little about probiotics--there is just so much information out there-lots of "commercial info" That is one of the reasons I thought I would post the question here.

Thank you so much! :cheering:
anne

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I take these guys for acidophilus: Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=802

I'm open for suggestions though to change if anyone has another brand they feel is better. My health food store recommended them.

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Crohn's ... stopped all meds about 4 yrs ago b/c of side effect. For me the Aloe Vera juice made things worse...Probiotics have been a saving grace for me. Go to a health food store and check out what they have. It should all be refrigerated. THe brand I buy is FloraMor in a blue bottle.

Can you re-evaluate your diet to see if there is something you're eating that is upsetting your system?

I must admit that when stress gets really bad and before my wedding/honeymoon I take a 6-10day taper of prednisone to reduce inflammation. That time frame isn't enough to give me weight gain or withdrawal symptoms.

If you would like any more info just PM me...I've been doing this for almost 10yrs and was down to 98lbs at 5'11" when diagnosed.

Wow! 98 lbs. :hug: I have changed my diet- no red meat, hardly any dairy, stay away from fried food-drink lots of water.. try to eat small but often. I get the shakes if I don't eat regularly, low Glucose I guess. But sometimes I just don't want to risk food lol.. sounds silly I guess. Some of what you read says fiber! fiber! fiber! But I find that I have a hard time with it... won't digest. So the hunt is on for a better diet. Thank you for your generous offer to answer my questions.. feel bad for DH-- just can't seem to get it all under control. Seems that whenever we go somewhere or schedule a vacation it gets worse.

Hugs,
anne

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 11:29 AM
So you like the word of the day??? Ha, ha!

The juice you buy at the store has added sugar and has been pasteurized...heated at such high temperatures that all of the "good stuff" (i.e. vitamins) have been destroyed. That's why you should never buy it. You should look at the number of grams of sugar in each serving. It is astounding!

As far as "commercial" information, I would stick to good ole science. Just the facts, ma'am! Biology is a wonderful science for a reason.

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
My hubby cannot do fiber either. He used to be in and out of the hospital a couple of times a year, and it always amazed me what the "dieticians" put on his tray! Most of the stuff was bad for him...salad, raw veggies (which he just could not digest properly).

Make sure you stay away from artificial sweetners as well. Bad stuff, it is!

Ok...I'll let you get the book now. ;)

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I do notice a calmness with the acidolphilus pills and they seem to even things out. Oh yeah, one more thing....exercise!! You don't have to be an aerobic instructor but I find that a good walk around the block or 30 minutes on the exercise bike helps alot. Somehow the moving around makes the intestines do their job without giving me grief, I think it eliminates stress more than anything. I hope you can find your mix of what works for ya', don't quit trying, you'll get there.
I told my husband I wanted a new colon for my 40th birthday!:roflhard:
lol... I have asked for similar! :roflhard: Exercise seemed to help before.. We just moved though and that increased my travel time to and from work to an hour and 25 minutes... going for a walk after dinner gets later and later and then none existant. Will have to try harder with that.

anne

debinoz
09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I was diagnosed with IBS almost 25 years ago. The tests back then were NOT fun... I was put on some kind of meds back then that made me horribly sick and constipated. Stress is my leading trigger and it doesn't help that I also have SAD. But, you name any building in town and I can tell you exactly where the bathroom is! I was told to monitor my diet, eat more fresh, healthier stuff, but that seemed to make it worse. So... being one of those that like to figure out my own treatment and what works for me, I've finally got it *mostly* under control. I take one otc loperamide hydrochloride (generic immodium AD) every morning. If I feel the "urge" coming on. (I can actually feel my intestines spasming sometimes) I'll take more.

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I can't eat rough, non soluble fiber, my diverticulosis won't let me. I do drink a glass of Metamucil each night though, I would be in serious trouble without it. It's a softer fiber and water soluble.

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I was diagnosed with IBS almost 25 years ago. The tests back then were NOT fun... I was put on some kind of meds back then that made me horribly sick and constipated. Stress is my leading trigger and it doesn't help that I also have SAD. But, you name any building in town and I can tell you exactly where the bathroom is! I was told to monitor my diet, eat more fresh, healthier stuff, but that seemed to make it worse. So... being one of those that like to figure out my own treatment and what works for me, I've finally got it *mostly* under control. I take one otc loperamide hydrochloride (generic immodium AD) every morning. If I feel the "urge" coming on. (I can actually feel my intestines spasming sometimes) I'll take more.

Deb,

The immodium does not cause you to have the opposite problem? I thought there maybe something that just kind of "coated" the intenstines--sort of protected them--? I hate to take prescribed medication.. for the most part because it usually makes me feel worse. hmm I know where all the restrooms are too... sad, but true. lol

Thanks for taking the time to share. :hug:
anne

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:47 AM
oh,,, my doc told me jello might help??? any thoughts or has anyone tried this?
anne

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
My hubby cannot do fiber either. He used to be in and out of the hospital a couple of times a year, and it always amazed me what the "dieticians" put on his tray! Most of the stuff was bad for him...salad, raw veggies (which he just could not digest properly).

Make sure you stay away from artificial sweetners as well. Bad stuff, it is!

Ok...I'll let you get the book now. ;)

Dasani water.. I really like the flavored water. The water here at work is awful :ick:. but I think it has splenda. Some of what I read said to stay away from sugar. :pout: what is left? lol

Stonington
09-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Go natural, so to speak.

Ummm Jordan Rubins has lots of books lol.

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Get The Maker's Diet. You don't have to do the supplements, although we did for about six to nine months. But the information is great.

Splenda is bad. You need to familarize yourself with all of the names of the sweetners. We discovered that many chewing gums...bubble gums for kids...had artificial sweetners. So does toothpaste. Every brand at Walmart has aspartame. I buy my toothpaste at the health food store. Took a little adjusting to, but we don't mind now.

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I strongly agree with eliminating any kind of artificial sweetners too. For whatever reason they reak havoc on me. I have to eliminate everything that says reduced calorie and all flavored waters because of it. I tend to use alot of honey to sweeten things, so far so good with that.

vaknitter
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
FIBER - there is soluble and insoluble and my guess would be that you will tolerate the soluble better than the insoluble as insoluble amounts to roughage.

I was told to stay away from fruit juices all together ... I do alternate drinking half a glass of low acid OJ or Ocean Spray cranberry juice every morning. When in a "flare" I avoid fruit unless they are cooked to break down some of the fibers - canned fruits are my friend and I make applesauce so there is no sugar added.

On the subject of fibrous foods - I have found that really lean hamburger once every couple of weeks makes me feel better as it keeps my iron level up - also eat lots of spinach for the same reason. Shrimp is out - to fibrous and tough on the tummy.

Caffiene is a trigger that I stay away from. No problems with Splenda, it is a derivitive of sugar and FDA has cleared it as non-carcinogenic. It has triggered migraines in some studies, but that was like 5000 packets/day.

Best of luck - I know how hard it is to avoid information overload on something like this. Every person is unique and so different things work for every person.:muah:

Stonington
09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
So splenda should be ok then..? I drink 2 bottles of flavored water a day..Coffee will be a hard one to give up.. love ice tea too and diet Mugs. I have been thinking that the soda might be an issue. I have noticed Asparagus does not agree with me... corn...lots of veggies. :( process of elimination I guess.. thank you all so much, I can't tell you what this means to me. You all taking the time to "talk" with me.
hugs,
anne

Ellen Edwards
09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Wow! Thanks for starting this thread! I've suffered silently for many yers with this. I'll be looking for a juicer, Auburn Chick--and Jordan's book, too!!
Thanks so much , Stonington--I'll be a better-feeling and healthier person because of you!:aww::aww::aww:

Stonington
09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for starting this thread! I've suffered silently for many yers with this. I'll be looking for a juicer, Auburn Chick--and Jordan's book, too!!
Thanks so much , Stonington--I'll be a better-feeling and healthier person because of you!:aww::aww::aww:..
:waving: Hi Trudy! You are so welcome.. it is almost like a support group lol. I hesitated in asking about IBS--kind of a weird subject for a knitting list... but have gotten desparate for some advise. :hug: to you all.
anne

*KnitPixie*
09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I was diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago after ending up in the emergency room doubling over with pain I could not bear. I guess the type of treatment depends on the individual person and their exact problem. I have trouble going to the bathroom and as a result get bloated and have lots of bad gas pain(gas ex does not help). I am currently tring a new homeopathic medicine from nativeremedies.com I will have to let you know how it works for me:wink:

debinoz
09-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I guess it also depends on whether you have IBS with diarreah or with constipation, there are both types.

I don't usually have any problems taking the 1 pill a day. Although I do go through a "dry" cycle every now and then, so I cut out the pill for that period. Usually just 3-5 days. From reading some of the other posts, maybe the artificial sweetners make the 1 a day work. I drink almost a 2 litre bottle of diet pepsi a day.

I haven't tried the jell-o thing mainly because I dislike jell-o. I really like to chew my food.

I can't do the metamucil or fiber supplements, it usually makes it worse.

When I first started having problems I also stopped eating, thinking that if I didn't eat, I wouldn't have to go. It's amazing how that doesn't really work! I lost over 65 lbs in 6 weeks. It's not really a weight loss program I'd recommend....

vaknitter
09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Splenda has never bothered me and a glass of tea here or there seems to be fine, things like coffee and Mountain Dew while they don't really set off a flare ...it sometime just rushes things along. Hot dogs - there is nothing worse for me !! I agree most veggies do kinda rush through, but they don't make me feel sick or give me cramps so I eat them anyway. One thing my MD told me back when I was really sick was that Crohn's is an autoimmune disease and more affected by internal factors than external factos - meaning stress is more likely to cause a flare than what I eat. What I eat may result in a bought of cramps and the runs, but it will clear up in a day or two. He also warned me that just b/c something bothers me once, doesn't mean it will bother me again. One day I can eat ice cream no problem - next day sick as a dog.

Not to offer too much information, but I also found that hormone fluctuations around my period made things unbearable and going on BC was one of the best decisions I ever made !! I heard friends of mine that I met via the CCFA that they felt 100% better and were sympton free during pregnancies and got hit hard afterward so I thought hmmm hormone fluctuations are a bad thing and my GI (whom I adore) said sounds good.

Also, there are some studies that link IBS/Crohn's to allergies so I also notice that by staying on allergy meds all year and eliminating allergens from my home (better filters in vacuum and heat ducts, installed hard wood in the bedroom, dust mite covers on pillows/mattress, washing curtains every few months) has helped as well. It keeps my body's histamine response lower and thus reduces the internal stress my body is under.

Again with the TMI, but if you are seeing blood in your stool that is nothing to mess around with and you need to get yourself to a good GI (not PCP). Ignoring that (I was young and embarassed) is what got me in dire straights and hospitalized for a long time and off work for months and on steroids for years).

Sorry this got some long - I really haven't talk about it in years, since I went off all 20pills/day - so once I got started it all seemed important to share.

Stonington
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I have blood almost everyday..and have had colonoscopies, upper and lower GI testing... the whole works.. and there is nothing there. The bleeding seems to be external according the GI. Do not want to go back to the doc again... was such a production the last several times. My hormones do seem to influence it.. but I am already on BCPs to regulate things... they do not seem to help (or maybe they do.. and I would be in worse shape without them lol... horrors!) jeeze.. I remember joking with my sister.... we will know we are old when we start talking about bodily functions lol. ugh. Thank you for all of your help. hugs, anne

auburnchick
09-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Try googling the juicer thing. I'm sure you can probably find it cheap by ordering it online. Here's (http://www.tunies.com/search_results.asp?ct=All&site_search_qu=champion&storeID=AA4DC8A2A7E54C35B6E3FF9417B88E92) a link to a store that I bought mine from. I used to live in the same city where this store is located, so I had the benefit of shopping direct. But, my mil ordered her juicer (and other stuff) from them. They are awesome! I just don't know how they compare price-wise.

As far as the Splenda, I would absolutely NOT do it. There are so many studies that contradict each other that it gets confusing. However, I like to stay on the conservative side and stay away from it. Artificial sweeteners can wreak havoc on your system, despite what study A or B might say. Health food stores carry a nice selection of healthier beverages. There is a really good line of sodas -- creme soda and root beer are my favorites!

To sweeten tea or coffee, you can use Stevia, which is a healthier sweetener. It's very concentrated, so a little goes a long way.

Try to stay away from processed foods...they just aren't good for you. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That's where your healthy alternatives lie.

Knitting_Guy
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I've had IBS all of my life although back when I was a kid they called it "spastic colon".

Heather Van Vorous has written a number of books, including recipe books for those with IBS, and is among the leading authorities on the subject and also is one who suffers from the condition. She has a website with loads of good information. Just google her name.

Everyone's triggers are different but the most common ones are stress, dairy products, and the wrong kind of fiber. Dairy is a huge one for me and so I avoid it like the plague. Straight water can also be a big trigger and is for me as the system simply can't handle it. I drink Gatorade instead of water as it's slightly thicker and doesn't upset the system.

The best thing one can do is to start keeping a food diary. Doing this, your triggers will become obvious and you can avoid them. As far as "going natural" goes, natural foods can be triggers as well so that's no solution.

One very common remedy to help sooth symptoms is mint tea. It has a calming effect on the digestive system although it does give some people heartburn. I find it really helps when I get an episode. Careful though as too much can cause constipation.

A dietary fiber like Citrucel can really help although it seems counterintuitive as it's commonly used to treat constipation. It helps bind the colon a bit and slow things down.

Stonington
09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Mason-
I guess it truely depends on the individual- dairy for me is a no no! beef - the same. We eat mostly chicken and fish--on a happy note my cholesterol is great! lol. The diary sounds like a good idea, but I have found that something that may bother me today.. horribly.. will have no effect on me tomorrow.. it is a strange thing. Thanks so much for your reply.
anne