PDA

View Full Version : If you need a giggle...

JGM
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
:teehee:

Jan in CA
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I DID needle a giggle. That's cute! :teehee:

iza
09-05-2007, 05:14 PM
:teehee: Very cute!

Ingrid
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
:teehee::teehee:

knitncook
09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Did anyone else think Dustin Hoffman from Rain Man with his identical twin brother?

BillSpace
09-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't want to start a flame war here, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't understand why this is funny. Because two men are knitting? Surely you know that men knit. Because the caption has one of the men calling the other girlfriend? Maybe I'm over sensitive, but this seems anti-gay to me. The assumption that men applying themselves to a "feminine" craft are therefore feminized and we can laugh at them -- every step of the way, that's just offensive to me.

If I missed some aspect of the humor, let me know. Again, I don't want to insult the people who did find this funny -- I just wanted to share with you how some kinds of jokes can be hurtful, even if you don't mean them to be.

Ingrid
09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I see your point. Certainly NONE of us here believe that a man knitting implies anything other than he likes to knit. (And we all know that liking to knit is an excellent character trait! :teehee:)

I think JGM (who is male) just wanted to lighten things up. I'm sure he meant no harm.

BillSpace
09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Understood. I never thought anyone in this forum meant any harm -- we're a good crew. Just wanted to share my reaction to this.

Funny, but knowing that JGM is a man actually does make a difference. Don't ask me to explain the logic of that.

iza
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
:shrug: I think 2 women in the same pose would have been funny too...

There are plenty of men knitting on this forum, we all know this. This was not the reason why it was funny. At least not for me.

Ingrid
09-05-2007, 06:26 PM
We must have been thinking along the same lines, because I felt it was important that his gender be pointed out. Maybe it's something along the lines of we can make fun of ourselves, but nobody else can?

ekgheiy
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
:teehee:
Hahahaha - dude, that's more than just a giggle! :rofl: Good find. ;)

dreamsherl
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I think that it was cute no matter what the gender or preference is.

SusanMarie1956
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I thought it was cute too. I got a giggle. The pose itself is silly. I didn't even see the caption until someone pointed it out.

Susan

Knitting_Guy
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm a straight guy who happens to enjoy knitting so if anyone could possibly be offended by this it would be me. I didn't find it (the caption) especially funny but wasn't offended either. Lot's of people assume I am gay simply because I knit. I find it rather amusing but then I find life in general rather amusing.

Bill, perhaps you should lighten up a bit and not take yourself (or others) so seriously? Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Jan in CA
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
:passedout: I never even saw the caption! I just thought it was two men knitting and that it was cute. :doh: I don't really think about anyone's gender preferences when they knit although I might have before I started knitting. Maybe that's why we laughed at it..because we know it makes no difference. ;)

JGM
09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
We must have been thinking along the same lines, because I felt it was important that his gender be pointed out. Maybe it's something along the lines of we can make fun of ourselves, but nobody else can?
Ingy ,that's pretty much the spirit with which I posted this. I kind of took it to be making fun of those people that are close minded enough to assume that all guys that knit are gay. I'm a straight male knitter and proud of it. It's one of the reasons I started my blog, to let people know that. :hug:

P.S. That's not to say that I have anything against gay men that knit.

dustinac
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
:teehee: I found it funny because I could just see my dad and my husband grabbing our knitting and saying that to each other...to tease mom and me...

:hug:bill:hug: I'm sorry it was offensive to you...I didn't even think that when I seen the photo till I read your post... I can see where it could be...

it's been so tense around here I really believe JGM was just trying to get us to laugh a bit... I know I keep noticing that I'm reading and re-reading all my posts afraid it might be taken wrong... I feel like I'm walking on egg shells and don't like that feeling... :wall:

knitncook
09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
There was a caption? I never saw the caption until there was mention of it. Regardless, I found the picture "giggly" with or without the caption. And because of this picture I dreamt I was knitting with Dustin Hoffman last night. ROFL

JGM
09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
it's been so tense around here I really believe JGM was just trying to get us to laugh a bit... I know I keep noticing that I'm reading and re-reading all my posts afraid it might be taken wrong... I feel like I'm walking on egg shells and don't like that feeling... :wall:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Just trying to get things back on track in my own little way.

debinoz
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Gay, straight, bi..... I don't really care... I thought it was funny. I think it was more the pose and the look on the face of the guy on the left that got me! JMO

PurlyGyrl
09-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, it made me laugh, I admit it--the expression on that one fellow's face made me giggle--BUT???????????? It has a caption???????????????????? :doh:I had to put on my glasses AND zoom in to see the caption (one of the many disadvantages of growing older):eyes:

Sorry for the un-PC giggle. :oops:

Yarnlady
09-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I thought it was funny cuz my best friend is a gay man and just the other day while we were knitting, he said, "You just dropped a stitch, girlfriend!" And I had! :lol:

ekgheiy
09-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I thought it was funny cuz my best friend is a gay man and just the other day while we were knitting, he said, "You just dropped a stitch, girlfriend!" And I had! :lol:
:chair: