PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want to knit this colorful scarf?

Quiltlady
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I think this Log Cabin scarf is so pretty. I am going to start it and wondered if anyone else is interested in Knitting Along with me? Here is is...

http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/wraps/Modern_Quilt_Wrap207-1.html?ET=knittingdaily_blog:e757:26766a:&st=email

spasmo
09-05-2007, 10:51 PM
That scarf is beautiful! If I weren't about to start a clapotis and trying to finish a Lady E and a Lizard Ridge I would be joining you. I do think I'm going to have to get Folk Style there are so many cool patterns in this book. I look forward to seeing your scarf soon!

:wink:

misstialouise
09-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I totally want to make this!!! But as we're about to go into summer... I need to get a few christmas presents done first.. lol!

I have this on my list to start just after my birhtday in Feb.. :D

Mrs. D.
09-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Quilt lady, I have about 5 projects started and none finished but I really want to do this one, so I think I am going to join you on this. It will be a slow go for me but I really like this one. Any yarn substitution suggestions?

zkimom
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Quiltlady,

I LOVE that scarf and it's on my queue. However, I need to finish a few things first as well.

I was just wondering if you were planning on using the kidsilk the pattern calls for or if you were substituting for the yarn.

If so, what are you thinking of using. I haven't started researching possible alternatives but I don't want to spend $13 a skein for the kidsilk.

Can't wait to see yours in progress.

Best,
Susan

New Girl
09-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I, like everyone else, have too many projects left undone in my 2 bags. I cannot wait to hear and see how the project goes. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. What a perfect project for a beginner.

knitncook
09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
That's a gorgeous scarf! I bet it could be made with other like weight yarns. I'm thinking that a yarn with an interesting colorway could probably be substituted and then you wouldn't have to change yarns throughout. Just do the mitered squares. Noro yarns come to mind as I've done mitered squares with them and they turn out absolutely gorgeous!

Brandy_m
09-06-2007, 06:48 PM
That is gorgeous!! But looks hard!! Is it? I"m pretty new at this (I was good a few years ago and just started up again!)

knitncook
09-07-2007, 10:37 AM
That is gorgeous!! But looks hard!! Is it? I"m pretty new at this (I was good a few years ago and just started up again!)

Mitered squares are easy and fun. You cast on an even number of stitches and place a marker between the middle two stitches (so for a 20 stitch mitered square you would put the marker between stitches 10 and 11) For a scarf where you could see both sides you would probably do garter stitch, so knit every row. Every odd row you knit across to the last two stitches before the marker and K2tog, slip the marker then K2tog (sometimes ssk) then knit to the end of the row. Every even row you just knit across. So you are decreasing in the middle by 2 stitches every row. This causes the long edge to eventually be pulled up to make two of your sides. They are fun little squares to make.

Brandy_m
09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I will give it a try!! Can you recommend a yarn?

Do you make all the squares and then sew them together?

Quiltlady
09-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Well I've knit three of the blocks and I used a nice wool yarn. But I am not satified with that yarn. I want something that looks more "elegant".

The blocks are actually very easy to do. I think I'd like to use a better yarn for this. Of course there is a "public" side and a "private" side to this scarf. So you'd have to make sure the "public" side is showing when you wear it or you can see the rows where you changed the yarn colors. Unless you use a colorway yarn like knitncook suggested. I think that's a great idea for this scarf!!

I'll have to see what I have in my stash.

Brandy_m
09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Another newbie question...what's a colorway yarn?

Jess_knit
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I've got a couple projects on the go too (socks, Christmas Mystery Stole) but I fell in love with this scarf and had to make it.

I ordered Kid Mohair Silk from Sarah's Yarns (1 skein of lavender, 2 of natural) and I'm planning on dying it myself. I also ordered some of the new Harmony option tips from knitpicks. Can't wait to start it!

ann in ma
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I had 8 coordinating skeins of Cascade 220 in my stash, so I bought a 9th color and casted on. After knitting up the first 4 small squares, I came to some realizations:

1. It's good that I did these for practice, because I need some refining of the picking up stitches technique. I have some gaps where the squares join, and I think it's because I was only picking up one loop of the stitch instead of the whole stitch.

2. The worsted weight yarn will give me a finished width of 18" before blocking, and probably 22-25 after blocking -- which is too wide for a scarf, too narrow for a blanket. And I don't like the fabric to wear as a wrap. Though I used size 10 needles, it still has very little drape. So this is now a practice piece -- I will probably do 2 more of the large squares to refine my techniques.

3. I need to learn to weave in the ends as I go. Mags Kandis posted a link to a tutorial with great photos on the Knitting Daily website. That tutorial is at: http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-to-weave-in-ends-while-knitting.html

4. This style of knitting is addictive!! I definitely want to make the scarf/wrap now, but I am going to splurge on either Kid Silk Haze or Frog Tree Alpaca sport. However, I am going to make myself finish 2 WIPs before I can buy the yarn and cast on.

zkimom
09-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Did anyone read the email from Knitting Daily about the yardage on this scarf? It seems that you can get 2 of the wraps out of 1 skein each of the Kidsilk.

I still don't think I can splurge on all that yarn right now but it would make a difference if I was making 2 and gifting one -- especially with Christmas so close at hand.

Best,
Susan

Marni
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Another newbie question...what's a colorway yarn?

I asked myself the same question. As defined by Wikipedia...

colorway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorway): variegated yarn with two or more distinct hues (a "parrot colorway" might have green, yellow and red)

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I'd love to see your squares!!

I'm looking at getting some more of the Grignasco Bambini (which is a fingering weight) as I have some in my stash. The colours are gorgeous and it's sooo soft... Plus, it's not hugely exxy.. and I can probably get 3/4 wraps out of the balls :D

Quiltlady
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking of buying some silk Noro yarn. I love their colors. I have to do some more research to make sure before I order it on line.;)

Sanibelle
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I had 8 coordinating skeins of Cascade 220 in my stash, so I bought a 9th color and casted on. After knitting up the first 4 small squares, I came to some realizations:

1. It's good that I did these for practice, because I need some refining of the picking up stitches technique. I have some gaps where the squares join, and I think it's because I was only picking up one loop of the stitch instead of the whole stitch.

2. The worsted weight yarn will give me a finished width of 18" before blocking, and probably 22-25 after blocking -- which is too wide for a scarf, too narrow for a blanket. And I don't like the fabric to wear as a wrap. Though I used size 10 needles, it still has very little drape. So this is now a practice piece -- I will probably do 2 more of the large squares to refine my techniques.

3. I need to learn to weave in the ends as I go. Mags Kandis posted a link to a tutorial with great photos on the Knitting Daily website. That tutorial is at: http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-to-weave-in-ends-while-knitting.html

4. This style of knitting is addictive!! I definitely want to make the scarf/wrap now, but I am going to splurge on either Kid Silk Haze or Frog Tree Alpaca sport. However, I am going to make myself finish 2 WIPs before I can buy the yarn and cast on.

Thanks for posting. I have so much Cascade 220 in mys tash that when I saw the scarf my first reaction was to use up some of it to make the scarf. So i guess that plan will not work. I guess I will have to check out my LYS to see what else there is but I have to finish:

Almost done with a clapotis - working on the decrease rows now. Must finish it by next Friday to take on my cruise. Same with a Noni bag I am making for my mom. I just have to felt it and sew the flowers on the bag. Also need for next Friday. One sleeve left to do on a baby sweater - the baby will be born on the 15th of October so that should be a piece of cake! I just started a Juliet sweater - I love this pattern and if I can get it done for the cruise that would be great - if not it will be a great project for the plane - we have a 9 hour flight to Amsterdam!

QSG123
09-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi, I looked into all of the prices for Kids silk in the last two weeks, if I can get all colors at the lowest price, it is still another $100.00. I never knitted with Rowan's Kid silk, so I cannot really compare, but I found Crystal Palace Kid Merino, for 1/2 of the price. (anyone knows both yarns?).
The colors are not so coordinated and subtle, or springlike, but it would make a nice Jewel tone one. Kid Merino, is 28 % merino, 28 kid mohair, and 44 Nylon.240 yards).
I have 5 Xmas projects going, but hey..... the more the merrier:-))))
Thankls.
G.

Quiltlady
10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I still love how this scarf looks but have not found a yarn that I can use for it yet. Guess I'll have to file away until I come across something that I like.

Quiltlady
10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I went thru my stash and I "found" some pretty 100% Peruvian Highland Wool in fingering weight that I bought from Knit Picks called "Palette" I have seven colors but still need to order a few more. It's very light weight so I think it may give me the "look" I want in this scarf. Wish me luck!!:knitting:

Has anyone else been working on this? Have any tips?

misstialouise
10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
I have all the wool I need. Once we're done spring cleaning, I will be getting it ready to start. It's going to be the first thing I cast on once my two Drake's are done :D

sugarfunpouch
10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
That's gorgeous! BTW: Hi misstialouise! :waving:

Quiltlady
10-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I have to admit its a very EASY pattern to follow. Once you do a few rows you memorize the directions. That's the kind I need. :happydance:

I made the first two blocks today and ordered five more colors from KP's so I have to wait until I get those before I do more. The colors I had already are three shades of purple, three shades of green and a white. I want to wait until I receive the orange, pink, red, blue and yellow yarns so I can then mix them all up like they did in the photo. But it is a very easy knit and would be a good take along one too.:knitting::knitting:

Doodknitwit
10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I think this Log Cabin scarf is so pretty. I am going to start it and wondered if anyone else is interested in Knitting Along with me? Here is is...

http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/wraps/Modern_Quilt_Wrap207-1.html?ET=knittingdaily_blog:e757:26766a:&st=email

A beauty we are doing at the Cottage Yarn Knitting Retreat!!
I saw the sample a lady made today it is such a nice size and dthat yarn is lucious and light!!!

Quiltlady
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
A knitting retreat sounds wonderful!!! My LYS has one every year maybe some year I can go.

Please be sure and post the pics. when you are done.

I'm still waiting for the five colors of yarn to arrive from KP's then I'll continue on with mine. I was only able to do the first two small squares and have to wait for the other colors to arrive. I hope they will get here this week. :yay:

jeanius80
10-10-2007, 12:18 AM
someone on ravelry made one out of 220, but turned it into a baby blanket, very cute!

Quiltlady
10-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Brother...I'm STILL waiting for my yarn to get here from KP's. It must be coming by camel across the Sahara. :??:shrug:

Quiltlady
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I finally got the yarn in the mail today from KP's. :woot::woot:Took a week to get here. Seemed like forever. So now I can begin making more squares. I'll post a picture as soon as I get a few more of them done.:knitting::knitting:

Lucyjane
10-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey Quiltlady and anyone else interested in knitting this wrap! My LYS is hosting an after Christmas KAL for the Modern Quilt Wrap. The owner is even selling complete kits at a discount. If anyone is interested in joining the KAL and purchasing a kit, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Modernquiltwrap/

I spoke with the owner and she said that if more than 15 people sign up, the price for the kit will drop. She said that there is enough yarn per ball to split kits between people too!

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

jeanius80
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
how much are the kits? and how many are signed up? ...:shifty:...

Mommy22alyns
10-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I would love to knit this! I nearly passed out at the price of the pattern yarn though - anyone have less $$$ ideas?

Lucyjane
10-22-2007, 03:07 PM
jeanius80
The yarn kits are $100.00 as of now, and last check there are 10 people signed up so far.

Mommy22alyns
The best way to save $$$ is to split a kit with someone else.

Here is a link to the kit purchase site. http://fromrobinsnest.com/product_info.php?products_id=563

Quiltlady
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I knit about nine of the blocks. I think my colors are too "bold". It will work out better as light weight baby blanket since they are primary colors. If I had to do over I'd use all pastel colors for a scarf. The pattern is very easy to follow without even reading any directions after the first block.
I tried to post a picture but it's too big. I will post it when I get my dh to make it smaller.

Quiltlady
10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I am using KP's Palette fingering weight wool. It's nice and light but I have to say that I wish I used pastel colors. It's just too "bold" for a scarf. I will continue on this and it will become a baby blanket. The pattern is SIMPLE to do and would be nice for other projects.

Quiltlady
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Hopefully the picture will show up this time. I don't know why the picture isn't showing up. It's not to large. Oh well...trust me it's bold colors.

Cathy W
10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I would love to. I will also have to price it out, but its a great idea, and I am doing Xmas scarves for gifts now, so it fits it. Alsi, I have never done miters.
When would you like to start?
Cathy W

Cathy W
10-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I see now you did start it. I am going to look around for different yarn--I would like a warmer one--sport weight is kind of light, and we are cold in the north. But I don't want a really heavy one either.
Will report back!
Cathy W

Jennifer6493
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
quiltlady what happened with the scarf. I just caught this post. A year has gone by. I would like to knit it as well and would love to see your photo

Quiltlady
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, this is an old thread! I did a lot of the scarf but really was not happy with my colors. They were too bold. I did a lot of research trying to buy the right yarn but I was not willing to spend that much on it. So I abandoned the project. The pattern is simple to do. I still may try it again sometime in the future because I do think it's beautiful.

wezyus
01-15-2009, 05:11 AM
@Quiltlady
Gud luks to u in this project but cant join u as i am doing a cardigan for me ...start it since end of Nov 08, dont know when i will finish it...hope to get it by June bcoz here winter start end of may n jun