PDA

View Full Version : What podcasts do you listen to?

itsjustmeghan
09-06-2007, 09:55 AM
So, what podcasts do people listen to? knitting or otherwise?
i just got a job working at home, and i find podcasts nice to listen to because it's something to listen to that is similar to conversations (inside jokes and whatnot).

what secret goodies are hiding out there?

feministmama
09-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Wait Wait don't tell me and THis American Life. Keeps one side of my brain busy so the other side can knit.

Lady Violet
09-06-2007, 10:59 AM
i LOVE socks in the city. i think it's gotten me hooked on sock yarn. :teehee:

lauraknits
09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Cast On
Sticks & String
Lime & Violet
Stash & Burn
Its a Purl Man

NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Commonwealth Club - good talks by lots of politicians and business people - including presidential candidates

GardenGirlKnitsToo
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I would add Knit Science, and the Knit Picks podcast as well. And am I the only one who finds a new podcast and then downloads every single episode so I can get the whole story? I'm listening to Cast On from more than a year ago...:teehee:

Jax3303
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Here's the ones I listen to:

Lime & Violet
Sticks and String
Knitters Uncensored
It's a purl man
Mugglecast

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Mugglecast
Pottercast
Snapecast
Harry Potter Prognostications
The Leaky Mug
Spinnerscast
Wizarding Wireless

(It looks like a lot, but it really isn't. :teehee: I do a lot of dishes and knit a lot.)

My non-HP podcasts are:

Freetalk Live
Common Sense with Dan Carlin (He also does an amazing history lesson podcast!)
ThinkFuture (though he might go off my list soon. I don't feel he is a good representation of the Libertarian mindset. He's scatterbrained, and casts while driving a lot, but he is funny when he gets on a rant. )

I've been looking for some knitting podcasts, as well as some homeschool podcasts. Itunes doesn't seem to put them in update order, so I always end up grabbing ones that are old and never updated. Very frustrating, since I will listen through all the old eps in a very short time! I am such a podcast fiend!

Yarn Doc
09-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Let's see..

Non-knitting:
This American Life (love it!)

Knitting:
Cast On
Stash and Burn (this is quickly becoming my new favorite!)
Knit Picks (although I think the lady's delivery is really weird - it's like she reading a very boring story to very young children - and trying to pretend it's interesting.)
Socks in the City

I used to listen to Lime and Violet, but their podcast is lots of giggling and not enough knitting content for me.

zkimom
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
So far, KnitPicks is the only one I've really listened to and I'm addicted. In fact, Kelley was on vacation last week and I was seriously missing my Friday podcast.

I agree with Yarndoc that her delivery leaves something to be desired but I have gotten used to her voice and the way she speaks so now I don't care and I really enjoy the podcasts.

Great ideas, great book reviews, great knitting content.

Give her a try, she posts her new podcasts on Friday.

Best,
Susan

itsjustmeghan
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
keep em coming! i love this podcast thing! i've been listening to lime and violet, and i can tell you already, i'm thinking about pulling out some sock yarn from the stash and casting on...
(and i'm posting just so i can get the alerts, because for some reason it didn't alert me already. :teehee: )

MrsDavis3
09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I am in general disappointed with knitting podcasts. I can stand to listen to Stash and Burn, and the first KNit Science episodes were okay...but now M. Quinn's reading instead of talking. All the others I've tried I find unbearably stupid. Interviews with designers are good, but they are often too much like advertisements for whatever.

I will continue to sample knitting podcasts as I discover them, but my expectations are low at this point.

Non-knitwise I subscribe to New Yorker Fiction, NY Times "Times Talks", Fresh Air, and This American Life; I try to find university lectures and readings of both fiction and non-fiction, interviews with writers and artists, things of that nature.