PDA

View Full Version : KIP - Iowa Truckstop

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
This morning I tossed the Irish Hiking Scarf I've been working on for what seems like forever now into my backpack and headed into the truckstop for some coffee and breakfast.

While I was waiting for my food I pulled out the knitting and set to work on it to pass the time. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had any time to knit and it was nice to be able to relax with the needles for a while.

Naturally I noticed some of my fellow truckers checking out what I was doing while trying to not look like they were checking it out. None of them said anything about it one way or the other which was fine with me.

The waitress finally couldn't stand it any longer and asked about it so I showed it to her and explained what it was. She was curious about the Options as she'd never seen anything like them before.

After that some of the drivers must have felt it was "safe" to mention it and starting making comments or asking questions about it. A couple of the other waitresses came over to check it out too and this caused one driver to comment that it seemed to him like a good way to meet women and I agreed. Of course some of the comments were the usual "I would never have the patience for that". I hear that one a lot.

I can't help but be amused at how uncomfortable it makes some people when they are faced with something unusual that doesn't quite fit into their neat little stereotypes.

I did manage to get several rows done, a couple of cables worth, in between the questions and comments. Now I have to hit the road again, for a couple of hours, and will have a little more knitting time this evening. I can't believe how much I missed my knitting time lately.

KnittingNat
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm glad you had some knitting done:cheering:! Maybe you should make a rule for yourself - knit 10 minutes every day? People are funny, aren't they? I was KIPing in the hospital the other day and everyone looked at me like i'm a weirdo... I even tried to take the knitting with me to the OR :teehee:...

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 12:35 PM
That's great, Mason! I'm glad you got some knitting time in!

I guess men knitting causes a stir because you don't see it too often, but men do lots of other small motor things with their hands (whittling, painting, carving) so it really shouldn't be a big deal. I love hearing your stories of the attention it attracts though. You are the Ambassador of Knitting Truckers. ;) BTW...have you met any others? I think I remember a crocheter... :think:

Songbirdy
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Happy for you!

About the guy thing. It was kind of neat. I 'accosted' a couple walking their baby one day to try on the Bolero I made for a friends baby to see if my sizing was okay.

Anyways the wife said she was trying to knit. Her teacher is her husband's best friend.

I thought that was great! and told them so too!

knitncook
09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I am not sure if it is the novelty of a man knitting or knitting itself. I get lots of questions when I knit in public. Even the "you look too young to be a grandmother." Huh? Obviously they haven't been anywhere near yarn lately!

Glad you had a nice morning knitting, even if people were asking you lots of questions!

SusanMarie1956
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Nat,

Tthe baby sack is great! Looks like sometihng I ought to make for my son's friend's who just had a baby!

SusanMarie1956
09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't see why it's so STRANGE for a guy to knit. I know it's UASUALLY a womans craft, but.... In World War ll the Sailors had to knit in the Navy.

I don't think it's in here... but a family member told me this when we were talking about ood stuff men use to have to do in the Navy.

http://www.redcross.org/museum/exhibits/knits.asp

ready2knit
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Mason,

You think a guy knitting gets stares?! Try dealing with the stares women get when nursing in public (despite the fact that they are completly coverd!)

Jana

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Mason,

You think a guy knitting gets stares?! Try dealing with the stares women get when nursing in public (despite the fact that they are completly coverd!)

Jana

Yeah, that's nothing new. People freak out over all sorts of silly things.

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm glad you had some knitting done:cheering:! Maybe you should make a rule for yourself - knit 10 minutes every day? People are funny, aren't they? I was KIPing in the hospital the other day and everyone looked at me like i'm a weirdo... I even tried to take the knitting with me to the OR :teehee:...

I wish I could make such a rule but honestly some days I barely have time to grab a bite to eat on the run.

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
That's great, Mason! I'm glad you got some knitting time in!

I guess men knitting causes a stir because you don't see it too often, but men do lots of other small motor things with their hands (whittling, painting, carving) so it really shouldn't be a big deal. I love hearing your stories of the attention it attracts though. You are the Ambassador of Knitting Truckers. ;) BTW...have you met any others? I think I remember a crocheter... :think:

So far I've only met the one crocheter. I know there are others because I've heard them call in and talk about it on the trucker's channel on satellite radio. It's becoming a more popular hobby among truckers although still pretty rare yet.

PinkRoses
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
""I would never have the patience for that". I hear that one a lot."

Funny, I hear that all the time too.:teehee: It gets rid of all my stress. Go figure.

Samsam
09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I was knitting on the bus to and from school today, it was our first day back. There were new kids (freshmen) who didn't see me knit last year so some sitting close by asked me what it was and stuff. I did get a "Heyyy that's coool what'cha doing there"

letah75
09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Little jr. was at my house this weekend, and saw me knitting. He turned off the t.v. and ran over, "Can I watch you yarn?" I said sure. He watched me knit a preemie cap for almost an hour in fascination....a 6 year old boy....if he can concentrate on ME knitting for an hour, I think a truck driver (or anyone for that matter) could muster up the patience to knit. :teehee:

We had a BBQ later that night, and Little jr. told all of the other little kids that "My second mommie can yarn...uh...I mean knit!" One of the little girls (7 years old) responded with "I know, she knits with my mommie, and I can knit too. But that's because I'm a big girl. You have to be 7 to knit." Little jr. responded with "well second mommie showed me how to knit last month, and I was 6 then. So boys can knit earlier than girls."

knitgal
09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I think the whole knitting in public thing can be hard for people to take in. I used to take my knitting to my cousin's hockey games and people would always stare and kind of snicker. Sometimes someone would ask what I was making, but usually people would just stare. I think the whole knitting in public thing needs to become more common before people stop staring so much!

JessicaR
09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Enjoy the corn! :wink:

mare-nitt
09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Being a new knitter, I have had a few people when they see me knit, ask: I didn't think people still knit, I remember my grandma did?

Does that comment age me?

Ingrid
09-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to drive a truck cross-country. :shrug:

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to drive a truck cross-country. :shrug:

No kidding. I don't think my butt could handle it either. :teehee:

PammieJR
09-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I have to be honest though...I have been a knitter since 1995 and I have never actually seen a man knit...in the wild, so to speak, although I know you guys are out there. I did see a guy crocheting once at a camp site about 5 years ago.

I guess I din't notice the stares, or don't care when I knit in public! LOL

ArtLady1981
09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi'ya Mason! :waving:

Knit on good brother! :cheering:

Ya' know...it occurred to me: Man knitting is a real "chick magnet"! Almost as much of a chick magnet as a puppy at the park! :happydance:

debinoz
09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't knit in this town. People look at you like you've suddenly grown 2 heads or are going to stab them to death with the needles.

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I can't knit in this town. People look at you like you've suddenly grown 2 heads or are going to stab them to death with the needles.

That's because you live in Oz. The witches don't want any competition... :shifty:

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Dangles
09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
That's because you live in Oz. The witches don't want any competition... :shifty:

:chair::chair:

Knitting_Guy
09-07-2007, 11:09 AM

:rofl:

sinistral_needler
09-07-2007, 11:37 AM

I could do it, but I wouldn't get enough work done, cause I would spend a day in each city being a tourist! :clink:

Queen of Rust
09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I've got 3 male knitting padwans so far. I collect them:)

People stare at me all the time in this town. I have two heads...:p

msoebel
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I was just thinking this morning, "I wonder where Mason is? He must be driving"

And sure enough, you are!

I was disappointed to find out that my brother in law (who I taught to knit almost a year ago) has given up knitting now. My sister got bored with it (I know! Sacrilege!), and he just couldn't get over himself enough to go to the store and buy yarn for himself. He said the pretty clerk looked at him like he was a pervert.:teehee:

Sigh...if only more men could just get out of their own way...I think they would have so much more fun! I am going to tell him about you...maybe hearing about the big bad trucker who knits cables will inspire him to get out the needles again.

Misty

Karrying Kolor
09-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm a commuter, so I alway get at least an hour of knitting in to and from the city.:knitting:

Of course, those in the "know" (and there are many on the LIRR) want to chat colorways, patterns and stitches! No male knitters sighted yet, but a number of guys ask me about yarn and notions because it's their SO's hobby and they don't get the addition.

Non knitters watch in facination, especially little kids (boys want to play swords mostly...little girls are attracted by the colors and want to try)

The most amusing encounter I've had was with a little girl who was looking back and forth between me and her Mom...finally, she loudly asked her Mom what I was doing, the woman looked at me, a bit embarrassed :aww:, then back at her daughter and whispered sheepishly, (No pun intended) "I don't have a clue!"

Now, that amazed me! I couldn't help but shake my head and giggling to myself...She changed cars at the next station! :roflhard:

I can totally understand not being interested in the craft...I don't understand not even knowing what the craft is!

The road to enlightenment is long all the way around!:shrug:

rissa
09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I think its great that you KIP Knitting Guy!

My father has knit his whole life so seeing a man knit, addicted to yarn, etc is old hat for me. :teehee:

Supposedly my dad had scarlet fever when he was about 8 and was home sick for months. My grandmother was driven crazy by him, lol. So she taught him to knit to keep him preoccupied.

Dad taught me to knit when I was in 2nd grade. I remember bringing a sweater I was knitting to show and tell! :rofl: I stopped knitting for many years and had to relearn, but there is no stopping me now!

Dad and I are always talking knitting, love knitpicks.com and have actually decided to knit the family scarves for christmas this year using yarn we've dyed, which is someting new to us.

Too bad I can't get my hubby to knit. ;)

dawnk777
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm a commuter, so I always get at least an hour of knitting in to and from the city.

Wow, I can't imagine the mom not knowing what knitting was! LOL! Of course, my mom learned how to knit, when I was little, so it's always been in my life!