PDA

View Full Version : Morehouse Merino Yarn Question

zkimom
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Dear Ones,

I just found out that a friend of mine is due to have a baby around Thanksgiving. Oh my! An excuse to make another Baby Surprise Jacket.

I really love the look of the dear little jackets done in variegated yarns but the ones I really would love to buy are so very expensive. You know the ones -- Artful Yarns, Lorna's Laces, etc.

I think I may be able to make a jacket out of 2 skeins of Morehouse Farms Variegated Merino but I've never used their yarn before.

Is it soft? Should I be ordering the 2 strand or the 2 ply?

Anyone have any experience with their products?

Thanks for any advice.

Best,
Susan

Ingrid
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I have actually been there--it's not too far from me. Nice shop.

I made a sweater with their yarn, a worsted weight, and while it's squishy like most merino, it's not as soft as most. There was a lot of vegetable matter in it to pick out, too. Their sheep are down the road.

However, I haven't washed the sweater yet, so I don't know if it will soften up some.

Plus, it's hand-wash.

zkimom
09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Ingrid!

I googled them and discovered that I'm only about an hour and a half from the shop! Maybe I'll make a field trip out that way.

Then there's the NY Sheep and Wool Fest coming up soon. I really would like to be able to attend this year.

I'm not too far away here in Connecticut.

Best,
Susan

Ingrid
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm only about 40 min away, myself, yet I've never been. This year I'd like to make it. Maybe we can get a KH contingent.:happydance: