PDA

View Full Version : She is gone now....

figaro
09-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I have had Hobbes since she was a little wild hissy face kitten and now I need to let her go. She is 21 years old and in the last month, she has really shown her age. She never plays anymore, just sleeps about 85% of the time. She is just not the same cat I remember from a month ago:cry:. There are more reasons that these, but I did not think you all would want some of the visuals. I told my daughters tonight and they both got sad, I told them it is ok to be sad but they get to grow up with our new kitten like I grew up with Hobbes.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Nov0905.jpg

R.I.P Hobbes 9.7.07

She used to sleep on my stomach or even my hip if I was laying on my side. Then she would want to lie next to me with her tail end near my face, nope I did not leave her like that! It is so weird to think that she won't be here anymore, she was my cat, she would follow me from room to room when I would clean the house.

I am going to miss her so much...:waah:

Belphoebe
09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
:hug: I had to put my cat Grover down two years ago. Know that you are doing what is right for your kitty, as they won't have anymore pain or suffering...only eternal cat nip and butterflies to chase. :heart:

Susan P.
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I had to have a very very very loved black lab put down once because he was so ill and in pain. It's a difficult thing to do but much kinder than seeing them in pain and struggling. It's hard to find the words to express how much I feel for you but I admire your courage in doing what you know to be right. :grphug:

auburnchick
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
What a beautiful cat! I am so sorry for your sadness. Pets are so tremendously wonderful. I know you will miss your dear little friend.

My heart goes out to you...

:cry:

Please know that I will pray for you in the morning when I get up (although I couldn't stop myself from praying right away). I'll be thinking of you...

spasmo
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Debbie I am so sorry to read about you having to put your cat down. I am new to being owned by cats but I have been owned by a lot of dogs. It hurts when we have to lose a beloved family member.

:heart:
Sending warm thoughts your way.

bellium
09-06-2007, 11:04 PM
i am sorry to hear this - it sounds like you gave your kitty just about the best home possible for the past 21 years. the worst part of having pets, i think, is losing them - but the years of joy they give you is certainly worth the pain of losing them. i am a vet tech, i deal with this every day, and i feel for every owner and every pet who goes through this.

a little suggestion to you - if you can, arrange to have someone take you home - driving can be dangerous when you're upset.

Jan in CA
09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry! I know from experience how hard this is. Not much to say, but give you a hug!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Mariblue
09-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry, figaro, :hug::hug::hug:.

traceleighj
09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm so sorry! This is the part of pet ownership they don't tell you when you take home your new little one! I can't imagine having to do it to mine, but the day will come...

My thoughts will be with you!:cry:

momwolf
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I know how hard it is to put a animal down,but you are showing the the animal how much you truly love it by not letting it suffer.Will be thinking of you tomorrow.:muah::hug::cry:

AnnaT
09-07-2007, 01:25 AM
I have had Hobbes since she was a little wild hissy face kitten and now I need to let her go. She is 21 years old and in the last month, she has really shown her age. She never plays anymore, just sleeps about 85% of the time. She is just not the same cat I remember from a month ago:cry:. There are more reasons that these, but I did not think you all would want some of the visuals. I told my daughters tonight and they both got sad, I told them it is ok to be sad but they get to grow up with our new kitten like I grew up with Hobbes.

She used to sleep on my stomach or even my hip if I was laying on my side. Then she would want to lie next to me with her tail end near my face, nope I did not leave her like that! It is so weird to think that she won't be here anymore, she was my cat, she would follow me from room to room when I would clean the house.

I am going to miss her so much...:waah:

Figaro, I know exactly how you feel. This is one of the hardest decisions. I had to do it, too, for my beloved Gato on May 10, 2000. I still miss him. The one thing that helped me make it through was I still had Miki (still do!) to take care of. So I'm really glad you have a new kitty to love and focus on. Never doubt that it is a decision born out of love.

Take care and I'll be thinking of you and Hobbes today.

GinnyG
09-07-2007, 05:09 AM
I am so very sorry. What wonderful memories you must have after so many years, what a great life. Hang on to those memories to comfort you.

Jess_knit
09-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm so sorry :sad: It's always hard to lose such a beloved family member. I'll be thinking of you :hug:

DQ
09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
I know how hard it is to put a animal down,but you are showing the the animal how much you truly love it by not letting it suffer.Will be thinking of you tomorrow.:muah::hug::cry:

I agree.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Silver
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm so sorry Debbie. 21 years... wow, she's lived a long, and certainly happy life! My sympathy through this difficult time. :hug:

chillawilla
09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm so sorry figaro.

:sad::hug:

jcmom
09-07-2007, 09:25 AM
What a beautuful cat she is. So sorry for you. I've been there more than once and it's never any easier. Take care.:hug:

marykz
09-07-2007, 09:36 AM
I am so sorry. hugs for you all. it is the hardest decision to make, but often the most humane. Blessings and hugs, MKZ

stitchwitch
09-07-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm so sorry. I've been in your shoes, it's not easy. I'll be thinking of you and so will my hubby. He just walked past and said what a pretty cat and I told him the story. He said to tell ya' he's sorry and thinking of you too. :hug:

msoebel
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and the girls are able to find some comfort in your newer kitty, and happiness in your memories.

Misty

HamaLee
09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
:verysad:
:grphug::grphug::grphug:

mommydearest
09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I am so sorry for what you will have to do for your cats sake. It is one of the hardest things we have to do for our pets. I had to put down a 10 mo. old kitten of mine who was very ill at such a young age. My son (9) insisted he go with Hannah (kitty) and me to the vet while his sister (13) refused (it was her kitty). My son also asked to hold her after all was done. I also held her one last time. I can honestly feel your grief. I still have 2 cats (one-Pepper- before Hannah and another-Oreo a couple of months later) The three of them were very happy together.

spectorkitty
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Figaro, I'm so sorry to hear that. I have had two cats pass away and it was heart breaking. I'll tell you what I told the kids. They are never truly gone as long as they live in your heart. I send you all my best wishes. :hug:

threesmom
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
:hug:Oh, I'm so sorry - I'll be thinking of you and your family. It's so hard to lose a pet. She's beautiful, and hopefully your 21 happy years of memories will help comfort you. :hug:

newamy
09-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm so sorry. Your beutiful cat looks alot like my Pounce that died a year and a half ago. He was only 151/2. I still miss him. :pout:

susanc
09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I know how hard it is to reach this decision, but know that at least she will not be suffering any more. She's beautiful and she was blessed to have such a caring and loving owner and you were blessed to have the joy and love she brought into your life. I'll be thinking about you today. I've gone through this twice and I know how devastating it is. Take care. :grphug:

Sunny_Singer
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. :hug:

My kitty does the same things Hobbie did. We rescued her from a farm that had an overrun of kitty litters when she was just weaned. She is now almost 2 yrs old and very tiny, she still weighs less than 5 pounds. She sleeps on me like your cat did, complete with the tail in the face.

cftwo
09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
(((((((figaro)))))))

Carla1019
09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
:grphug::hug::hug:

I have a cat who is 16.. I know the day is coming.. She was a SIL cats so we have only had her for about 6 years.

Will be thinking about you.

VictoiseC
09-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Well Bless you both. You are so lucky that she lasted SO MANY years, wow. I pray everyday my Toisie cat will last a few more years (she just turned 14) and I have to stop myself from thinking of the end. A very nice vet said to me once "A good friend knows when to let go."

I was so upset when I put down my other cat several years ago, he was with me almost 14 years, I chanted for an hour or so, whenever I started to cry, I chanted his name as a way to accompany his soul. Sounds stupid maybe but it really helped. I learned it from a book written by an American Indian. All else I can say, is try to celebrate your cat's life today... it was a good one.

figaro
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
:grphug:

Thank you all so much for the caring words! She is gone now, it looks like she may have had a sarcoma on her left jaw so that is the reason for her not being able to eat for a little while. They are going to put her into a curled up position so she will look like she is comfortable. (although I do not think I will be able to look at her:help:) I was not there with her when she went as I do not think I would be able to deal with what her body may do at that moment.

Now I have to try and teach our new kitty (4 months) how not to get on the table and eat our food!

spectorkitty
09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
oh Figaro, I have tears in my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss and hope you are doing ok. You did the right thing even if it was hard.

PurlyGyrl
09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
:hug:

Doodknitwit
09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
so sad for your loss Hobbs a faithful companion.

mornnen
09-07-2007, 03:00 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

Mornnen

Silver
09-07-2007, 03:14 PM

scout52
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry. I lost my cat when he was still only a year. I now I have 2 other cats now. I hope i have them as long as you had yours. I hope this new kitten can help you through this pain.

jjminarcik
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you! :hug::hug::hug:

Ronda
09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
:hug:I'm so sorry.

stitchwitch
09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
:verysad: I hope tomorrow is a better day.

momwolf
09-07-2007, 07:12 PM
He is in a peaceful and happy place now where he can act like a kitten:hug:I admire you for your courage to do what was best for HIM.And he loves you even more for that

Ingrid
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I had my last cat until she was 21. I was spared having to make a decision--she faded fast and died peacefully.

That was almost 5 years ago. I still expect to see her tapping at the window or feel her hopping on my bed, even though I have two young cats now.

Hobbes was an important part of your life, and you will miss him. But remember, he had a good life because of you. :hug:

spasmo
09-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Figaro I thought about you all day today. I wish I was there to give you a huge hug in person.

BinkyKat
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
:hug::heart::hug::heart::hug:
Love and hugs to you and your precious Hobbes...I'm hoping the happy memories you have will make you smile all the time soon!:heart:

Spikey
09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Hobbes. How wonderful you are to ease her transition. :hug:

mintdee
09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
:hug::hug: Hang in there :):hug:

Quiltlady
09-08-2007, 05:00 AM
She sure is a beautiful cat. I'm sorry for your loss.:grphug:

KnittingNat
09-08-2007, 05:52 AM
I guess we all know our pets live much shorter lives than we do, but we're never prepared to lose them. Think that Hobbes is now in cats' heaven. Big hugs :hug:

GinnyG
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I am so very very sorry. I know how much our animals become a part of our lives and memebers of our family.
HUGS to you.

Susan P.
09-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Hobbes - another star in the night sky.

wildforyarn
09-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your cat Hobbes. It is never easy to lose a pet, even if you know they had a good life. We lost our dog this past March and it was so hard. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Samsam
09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm so sorry =(
I can't believe she lived soo long though! that truly is amazing. She'll always be with you no matter what!

Lots of love for you...:heart:

willowangel
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I hope that you can find some comfort in your memories in time. I dread that day for me, and know how important a loved pet can be. Remember to be kind to yourself and find peace where you can *hugs*

HollyP
09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
What a beautiful cat! I am so sorry for your loss! :hug:

jodstr2
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
:hug:hugs for figaro.:hug:
I am so sorry, it's a tough decision, but you did the right thing. it's the right one.

City & Country
09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
What a beautiful photo of a beautiful cat. My eyes teared reading your post. I too will send good thoughts your way.

I am new to being parent to a kitten. Although he's only been in my life since May, I cannot imagine my home without him. He often sleeps with a wool blanket I knit for him.

The memory of my family's cat when I was growing up (a Maine Coon - type found in the woods) is still with me, though, and no other cat will replace her in my heart. I think our hearts just become bigger when we take in another animal/friend/family member, which I know you will do at some point.

Condolences to you and your family.

- Mark

Dangles
09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Aww, Figaro, :hug:

Mulderknitter
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
:muah:I am sorry, but I kinda avoided this thread because it always makes me cry when people lose a pet:pout: I have to give my condolensces though, I am VERY sorry for your loss. I have a 12 yr old cat that dissapeared when we moved into our new house. He was only gone for about 12 hrs, but I was hysterical. I couldn't even walk in the parking lots of the places we went to look for him, my DH had to carry me. For those hours I really didn't think that I would be able to go on if I didn't find him. When I found him (right next door hiding in the plants... darn cat...) I cried so hard I thought I would explode.
So, I understand how sad you are and I extend all of my kittie love to you:muah:Maybe it helps, and maybe it doesn't, but we know that he knew he was loved all of his life and loved you just as much

knitwit88
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm so sorry! I got my cat as a kitten and she has been my buddy ever since. I dont want to think about her dying... ever. Lots of love

pandaca
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so sad to have to put down a beloved pet. It shows how much you really cared about her, putting her needs first.

AnnaT
09-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so sad to have to put down a beloved pet. It shows how much you really cared about her, putting her needs first.

I completely agree. And I was thinking, Hobbes was 21 years old! What a long and wonderful life.

Figaro, I hope you have a good day today.