PDA

View Full Version : More Options for your Options (New KP Harmony Needles)

jmp3775
09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
:woot:Just ordered a set of tips in every size of Knitpicks NEW Harmony wood needles. they're really purty, and they have them in the fixed and DPN's, too!
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/knitting+needles.html

angel4ever
09-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow, they look nice.

I may order just one size so that I can see how they feel.

brendajos
09-07-2007, 05:04 PM
oddly... KnitPicks is blocked at my job... and yet my agents spend all day on YouTube. *sigh*

lol

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 05:05 PM
:drool: OH MY. :drool:
they must have just added them. i've had the site up today and they weren't there.
next is a harmony sock set, right? :wink:

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 05:10 PM
okay, apparently they DO have really smart people at knitpicks! :teehee: i just delved a little deeper and discovered the entire world of harmony. hmm, i guess these are kind of like hippy knitting needles! :roflhard:
an extra needle in each size, plus they're just plum gorgeous and my stitches probably won't slide off. that totally warrants an extra 5 bucks! :cheering:

jmp3775
09-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I ordered the full set plus the extra tips. And of course I paid for fast shipping cause I am impatient! I was going to cast on for Zephyr's Juliet this weekend, but now I'll wait till Wednesday so I can use my colorful yarn on my new colorful needles!

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
don't forget to give us a full review! :wink:

lauraknits
09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
:cheering::happydance::woot:Holy Cow! I am beside myself. I was gonna get a second set of the regular tips. Now... I'm dumbfounded! Ok I guess I will get a few of each

suecq
09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
They look just lovely. I ordered some tips, 2 circular and the sock dp.

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh man...Oh man....

I am in love with the colors, but I wonder if the wood is like Brittany's, or if it is more like Crystal Palace. If it's like Brittany's that is no good, to slow...but if they are like CP's, with that little bit of waxy slickness...mmmmm.....

I think i'll get a set of DPN's and go from there. Those DPN's look like those 30.00 a set ones that were on the Yarn Harlots blog a while back. Nice!

chrislt8
09-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh aren't they lovely looking?!? I already have them in my wishlist but am trying to resist hitting the order button - don't know how long I'll make it though:roflhard:

Jan in CA
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Oooooo those are pretty!

IBAmyB
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh no....

Just when I was convincing myself that DH wouldn't really mind if I started a nice collection the Options/Nickel plated sets (so far I just have 1 set of tips, 3 cables, 3 fixed circulars, and 1 set of DPNs) they go and make these beauties too?!?!?!?

Decisions, decisions...

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.

Hehe! I just finished watching Season 3 of "House" on DVD and "Blackadder the Third" as well... so funny to see how much Hugh Laurie has changed in 20 years.... and how much he's still the same!

cristina61
09-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Emm, you know how a lot of times when you phone up a company to order one specific thing and they take your order and then try to talk you into buying something else you don't want?

Now I sort of wish KP was like that! I just phoned them on Wednesday to order some fixed circulars for sock knitting, and the CS lady was (of course) very nice and we chatted a little bit -- but she didn't say ONE WORD about the Harmony needles!:fingerwag:

Ah well, I didn't get all the sizes I wanted yet, so maybe I can still get me some . . .:inlove:

Chrissie
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
:inlove::heart::inlove: Those are so beautiful!!!

Eloewien
09-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I was gonna order some bare yarn on payday- may have to try a set of these tips. I really need extra 4's and 6's.

mum2caden
09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Aw- and I haven't even gotten the full set of the original ones yet! Now i will have to covet these for a long time too... :)

BinkyKat
09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
:shock:
:zombie:

:inlove:

I am SO getting these at the first opportunity I have!!!
Thanks for the post, I can't believe I missed it!!!!:heart:

Jess_knit
09-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh, WOW, I love those!

I've never knitted with wooden needles, but I was planning to cast on soon for the modern quilt wrap, and that would be the perfect test opportunity to see if they work well with mohair...

:drool:

Maybe I'll just order one..or two..or three..:inlove:

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 09:03 PM
:shock:
:zombie:

:inlove:

I am SO getting these at the first opportunity I have!!!
Thanks for the post, I can't believe I missed it!!!!:heart:

don't worry. you didn't miss anything. they only put them on the site a few hours ago. aren't they :woot:?

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm on a spending diet, and yet somehow I have the DPN set on the way along with Yarn Harlot's new book (to get the free shipping, right?!)

Check the buy/sell forum later this week for a big ole destash. :lol

BinkyKat
09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
aren't they :woot:?

Heck yeah! :cheering:
I went and told dh, "Guess what I absolutely HAVE to have?!" His reply: "What is it dear and when do you have to have it by?" :roflhard: Not that he buys me whatever I ask for, but his replies to my excitedness is pretty much, "what do you want and what do I have to do (to get you to calm down) to get it?" :teehee:

Spikey
09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
(insert zombie voice here) must...have cloud9
Not only are they gorgeous but the timing is great as I have slippery lace and angora projects OTN.
I immediately went to the website and ordered the set. Can't wait until they get here! :yay:
Thanks, jmp!!!!

jmp3775
09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
jessknit-
I'm starting the Modern Quilt Wrap soon, too! My Kid Merino is on its way so I'll be set when my needles arrive :cheering::woohoo:

Jess_knit
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I just ordered the Options tips in 4, 6, and 7. I can't wait 'till they get here!

robynbird
09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
:cheering: I ordered size 4, 9, 10 and 17 in the Harmony and I can't wait! Of course I also got EZ's Knitting Workshop too and decided to save on shipping so it will be a few days at least until I get them. They are gorgeous and I'm hoping they are as slick as it sounds like they are instead of like the clover bamboo ones. YAY!!! :woot:

evos524
09-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh WOW! I'm not a big fan of the wooden needles I've tried, but those are BEGGING to come to my house! LOL I wonder how slippery they are? Looks like I'll be buying some to try out! Great timing too, I was about to order the full nickel plated set!!

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 11:45 PM
anybody got their new Harmonies yet? :teehee:

momwolf
09-08-2007, 12:14 AM
I need some of those:tap: Soooooooo I ordered some :woohoo::woot:

panchita
09-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Oooh.. birthday gift to self! They're stunning! I've always loved those rainbow wood spoons. Can't wait!!

brendajos
09-08-2007, 02:24 AM
:wall: okay those are just pretty but i don't like wood needles anymore... they just aren't slippery enough for me... but i LUUUUUUV them! :wall:

Blaise
09-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Those are very nice! My son is so allergic to nickel he can't even touch it, so I just didn't want to take a chance making anything with the other ones; but now I might have to get some of these. :cool:

Debbie
09-08-2007, 07:37 AM
OH MY ..... they are BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRknits
09-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I know. They are georgeous! I am so excited. I bought a couple of tips and cords to just try them out and I am hooked on the KP Options needles. Now they are offering wooden needles :happydance: what am I going to do?

Quiltlady
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't own any of their needles but I may have to put them on my xmas wish list. I think the colorful wooden ones are beautiful!! I'd like a set of dpn for when I knit socks and maybe even get their options set then eventually get some of the colorful needles for the ends of them. I don't NEED any of them but I want some!!:woot: I do love my Denise set.

Brandy_m
09-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I have been debating purchasing the Options, but I LOVE my wooden needles!!! YAY!!! Now I can!! My birthday (10/8) can't come fast enough!!!!!!!!!

losnana
09-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I love m y Options too, but how great to add these for slippery yarns. Christmas is not TOO far away!!!

auburnchick
09-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I am not a super big fan of the wood needles, but when I saw these...oh my! They are just gorgeous! They sure make you rethink the wooden needle thing!!!

Samsam
09-08-2007, 10:18 AM
wow!!! that's sooo cool.
now I cannot decide if I want the metal set or the wood one for my birthday...
I think...I'll buy either and just get a few of the other ones extra.
Thank you for sharing that they came in! :heart:

chrislt8
09-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Well - I broke (and AM broke!:roflhard:). Placed an order for the harmonies....I was just saying that I wanted some wooden needles as I am knitting a project with slippery yarn and driving myself nuts on the nickel plated, but couldn't stand how stiff the cords were on all the wooden ones I had tried - it's like Knitpicks was eavesdropping! Evil, evil KnitPicks! Can't wait for them to arrive to try them out!:woot: I just LOVE tools and gadgets, and there is always something new calling to me! :roflhard:

yarnbee
09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I just got the metal Options set about a month ago, and this morning the email from Knitpicks announcing the Harmonies--what a teaser! :drool: They look so gorgeous--they ought to be framed in a shadow box and displayed on the wall. Big question--are they interchangeable with the Options cables?

With the exception of using wood DPNs for socks before I switched to magic loop on Addis, my only experience with wood needles was with a Clover bamboo circ. The yarn seemed to drag (I think I may have been using a synthetic blend baby type yarn) and it got hung up on the joins. However, I love the feel of wood and the lack of glare on my light-sensitive eyes. As for slippery yarns that some of you mentioned, besides the obvious hairy yarns like mohair, would wood be better than nickel-plated for 100% wool, including superwash?

dakatzmeow
09-08-2007, 12:26 PM
oh knitpicks, how i loathe thee. you are evil incarnate, i tell ya!

i just ordered fixed circs in the longest cable size (?) in 0 and 1, and the options tips in us7. i'm making wisp from knitty for my mom's birthday and the alpaca lace weight she picked out is driving me CRAZY! i'm hoping the wood will help it stay OTN better.

oh yeah, i had to order some yarn too. just made a pair of saartje's booties and now i need pink, baby blue, and black for all sorts of unborn babies. ;)

dakatzmeow
09-08-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't own any of their needles but I may have to put them on my xmas wish list. I think the colorful wooden ones are beautiful!! I'd like a set of dpn for when I knit socks and maybe even get their options set then eventually get some of the colorful needles for the ends of them. I don't NEED any of them but I want some!!:woot: I do love my Denise set.

what is this "i need dpn's for socks" thing you speak of? ;) you NEED the harmonies fixed circs so you can do magic loop socks. :cheering:

Wahlee
09-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Big question--are they interchangeable with the Options cables?

Yup. Fully interchangeable. That's what makes them so awesome!

As for slippery yarns that some of you mentioned, besides the obvious hairy yarns like mohair, would wood be better than nickel-plated for 100% wool, including superwash?

It really depends on what you prefer. I dislike wood and bamboo for wool, since wool is naturally more grabby. It just doesn't slide smoothly. I feel like I'm wrestling instead of knitting. But if you're a really loose knitter, or like it to be a bit grabby, then go for it.

Me, I'm ordering a set of tips in size 7, to see if I like them with my 100% silk yarn. Talk about slippery!

rozaroni
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Man, I'm such a sucker. Got the KnitPicks email this morning, clicked the link and ordered a set of the size 8 tips...all in less than 30 seconds! I already have the full set of the nickel-plated tips.

I need help....

barbara h
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I just ordered double points in 6" and 8"-I find wood easy on the hands and the nickel double point points have been great for socks-I hope each needle has a little bit different color or graphics!

Julie
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I am in love with the colors, but I wonder if the wood is like Brittany's, or if it is more like Crystal Palace.

I would guess they're more like Brittanys, because Brittanys are also made of birch, whereas CPs are made of bamboo. Who knows what the coating is like though :shrug:

(better buy some and fine out :) )

Doublereeder2
09-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I ..... MUST ...... BUY ...... HARMONY .... NEEDLES :inlove:

They are so amazingly beautiful!!! And they will fit right on the (already owned) Options cables!!! Life is sweet.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH - DPNs too! I love wood DPNS (can't stand the Options dpns, tho.)

ChristinaKnits
09-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I wanted to try the DPNs too...so I ordered some of those and some of the fixed circs and a couple of the tips...I love my Options....yay!

giedre11
09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I just wonder why they don't have a 16 inch cable? Otherwise they look fantastic!

Jess_knit
09-08-2007, 07:43 PM
There's no 16" cable because the needle tips are too long to make a comfortable circle that small. Knitpicks offers both the metal and the harmony as 16" fixed circs, though :) (the tips are shortened)

IBAmyB
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I just wonder why they don't have a 16 inch cable?

Here is Knit Picks answer about the 16" cable (http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/archive/16-cables-for-options-needle-tips/)....
The changeable tips are too long to use a cable to make a 16" needle. :sad: The "matching" fixed circulars are very nice make up for the lack of the 16" cable (and come in sizes 0-3 needle).

I was chatting with DH on instant messenger today and told him I found something he can get me for Christmas (he always complains I am hard to buy for). I sent him the link to the whole Options (nickel plated and wooden) line. He said "I wouldn't know which ones to get you"..... Um, ALL OF THEM! :teehee:

candicane
09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Beautiful! I am going to order some of the wood interchangeables for my SIL for Christmas. She loves rosewood needles, so I think she'll like these.

candice

Mulderknitter
09-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I must say that while knitting is addictive, the accumulation of all things knitting-wise is just as addictive. And Knit picks seems to have this beautiful business venture figured out. I have the options set, the sock dpn set, and now.... welll... now I must get the wooden set!:yay:

mwedzi
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I just so happen to lack a set of size 4 dpns that I need for the sleeves on tee I'm making, so I ordered some (and extra cables). I'm really excited about wood needles with pointy tips, and they say they laquer them up good so that they are strong, but I hope this also makes them smooth like Crystal Palace. If so, wow. First threaten Addis, then CP.

But I really don't care for the million colors on them. I think it will be harder to see stitches. I don't know, I just would prefer plain solid colored needles.

IBAmyB
09-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Those are very nice! My son is allergic to nickel, but now I might have to get some of these. :cool:

Be careful, I believe the joins on the circs are still nickel-plated.

lauraknits
09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Yep, they've got my number too! I have the entire options set already, and I just ordered a second set of the regular options needles in my most common sizes, as well as a few of the new Harmony tips!!!

auburnchick
09-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh, you guys are so, so bad!!!

Y'all feel free to let me borrow a set to test out! ;) I am so busy with classes that I just cannot justify purchasing even one set quite yet. Plus, it would be too tempting to cast on instead of studying (although I do post here, but I keep switching tabs in the middle of researching).

I can't wait to read your reviews!

auburnchick
09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I think that these needles are going to be on many of our Christmas lists, eh?

Or rather, a $500 gift certificate to KP would work just as well. :thumbsup:

:roflhard:

Jess_knit
09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I think that these needles are going to be on many of our Christmas lists, eh?

Or rather, a $500 gift certificate to KP would work just as well. :thumbsup:

:roflhard:

You read my mind :roflhard:

itsjustmeghan
09-09-2007, 12:17 AM
this is officially on my list of things i need to buy myself when i have spending money......when will that ever be?!

humblestumble
09-09-2007, 02:30 AM
WOW! That's so cool! This really makes me wish I had a job even faster now, I would love to have a set of all of them!

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 07:53 AM
awww man and it's not my birthday and Christmas is sooooooo far away :( Hmmmm maybe I can justify that between now and Christmas you all would have had these for a while and can tell us how they work...... then tell hubby I must have or gonna die (snicker)..... Thanks and please let us know how you like em all!!!

BostonBecca
09-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I really want them to make a set in plain colored wood. I love the dark wood against yarn look. These colors just don't do it for me.

PaperGirl
09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow....I so want to buy just ONE of those...but my yarn budget is non existenant ATM...

syndactylus
09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Thirded to plain, and I also love dark wood best.
Maybe if we found a bunch more ingrates and all wrote them email, they'd take pity on our eyes...
:violin:

losnana
09-09-2007, 10:54 AM
I love the plain wood best too. If they come out with those I'm a goner.

Slybella
09-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Knit Picks is so smart for making wood tips that are interchangeable with there nickel ones. I prefer wood to metal. But, all wood is not created equal. Clover's and Brittany birch is not near as silky and smooth as the Birch needles I have from Sam Bolton in Montana. His tips are much nicer as well. Since Knit Picks are laminated I bet they are very smooth. Now for a question the site doesn't tell how long the tips are. I have a Addi natural circ that I rarely use cause the tips are too short (3 1/2")and uncomfortable to knit with. Denise tips are about (4"). I know 1/2" shouldn't make that much difference but it really does.

IBAmyB
09-09-2007, 02:03 PM
maybe I can justify that between now and Christmas you all would have had these for a while and can tell us how they work......
You could say you *need* them to knit awesome Christmas gifts.... and the pretty colors will help get you in the Holiday mood! :teehee:

How long are the Knit Picks tips? Now for a question the site doesn't tell how long the tips are.
According to Knit Picks "each needle tip is 4.5″ long" (from the FAQ in the Knitting Room), and I just measured my nickel plated ones (cuz I am weird like that) and, yep, 4.5" from tip to end. :) (Which is why they can't have a 16" cable, the tips are too long....)

Slybella
09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Thxs IBAmyB I thought I had looked everywhere on that site)

dustinac
09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
:oo: I'm not sure about them... I also wonder if there is to much color.... I might get a dpn set and see how I like them first :teehee:

suzeeq
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
A few people have seen the prototypes and report the colors aren't as bright as they seem on the website.

Aliann
09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I've book marked Knit Picks, and some time this evening I'm going to begin my wish list.:woot:

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You could say you *need* them to knit awesome Christmas gifts.... and the pretty colors will help get you in the Holiday mood! :teehee:

Ohhhhhh I LIKE the way you think!!!!! :knitting: :teehee:

BinkyKat
09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
A few people have seen the prototypes and report the colors aren't as bright as they seem on the website.
I guess the gal mentions on there she was inspired by her wooden spoons of the same material...I've seen spoons like that. I actually would be ok with the colors either way...bright or muted. It's fascintating how the different layers are colored.
It's a good point to make Suzeeq...I know how easily one can be disappointed in the difference from a picture to "real life"

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
WWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY???

:( KP keep bringing out things I want... and I keep not being able to get them...

:(

PaperGirl
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
:!!!::!!!: Enablers.

I just ordered a size 3 32 inch Harmony Wood circ and a size 3 32 inch nickel plated circ.

Figured I should see which ones I like better before I order a set of either in the options. :roflhard:

If nothing else, I can practice Magic Loop on them. :woohoo:

Hsiaokuo62
09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I just saw these wooden interchangeables on the KP site, I'm ordering them right now!

I really love my nickel-plated options but my fibromyalgia makes my hands hurt, and wooden is much better. Problem solved!!

:cheering: Laura

scubasinger
09-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Mark me down as another one who is NOT a fan of the colors.

I love natural wood...the feel, the look, etc. I have several sets of Lantern Moon hardwood straight needles that I love. I use my KnitPicks interchangeables for lots of stuff, but I always get a little extra excitement when I can get out the LM straights. Wood just feels good to me.

If KP would put out a set of interchangeables in high-quality hardwood then God help my charge card!!! For a set of interchangeables in gorgeous rosewood I'd hock my own mother!!!

Vic

snowangel
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I have been wanting a new set of DPNs in pretty colors! I really like the feel of the wood so I ordered some size 1's Yea! Now I will be excited to go home everyday and look for a box on my porch!:yay:

knitting4babybear
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
:pout:

itsjustmeghan
09-10-2007, 11:17 AM
anybody get theirs yet?!
i'm dying to know how the double points are. do they slip well? or do they hang up on the yarn? i have some wood double points, and they just don't flow as well as my metal ones....but i'm trying to get wood ones so i have the possibility of getting into the airport with them (i travel a lot for work). i'm not sure if they allow metal ones at all, but i don't want to risk my needles by trying to get them in....

HumorMe
09-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Can I come over to your house and play, JMP? Those needles are the most beautiful things I've seen in a long, long time!

laikabear
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Oooh, I like the colors! :heart: I JUST ordered the set of metal sock DPNs (and cast on for my first sock). Sucks I did not know about these first, I would probably have rather had the wooden ones, being a beginner. I do have the metal options set of interchangeables and love those... Maybe I will try out the wooden DPN set if the metal ones prove frustrating... Or maybe I will try it out anyway. Soooo purty!! :inlove:

Um, is it wrong that my "stash" of needles is bigger than my stash of yarn? What? I need to buy more yarn?? Oh, okay... :mrgreen: :teehee:

Lady Violet
09-10-2007, 01:56 PM
anybody get theirs yet?!
i'm dying to know how the double points are. do they slip well? or do they hang up on the yarn? i have some wood double points, and they just don't flow as well as my metal ones....but i'm trying to get wood ones so i have the possibility of getting into the airport with them (i travel a lot for work). i'm not sure if they allow metal ones at all, but i don't want to risk my needles by trying to get them in....

all of a sudden i got this brain flash the other day. metal needles can be hard to get on to planes. they can be caught going through the x-ray machine, and they would definitely set off the metal detectors. BUT with the wooden ones, you could hide them on your person before you go through the metal detectors. so of course then i was picturing little ol' grandmas with wooden DPNs strapped on under their clothes going throught the detectors. kind of like the guys in dark alleys with watches strapped to the insides of their coats. :roflhard:
too much :think: and not enough :knitting:!

suzeeq
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I've flown with metal ones in my carry on and they've got through. You don't have anything on you when you go through the metal detectors, you have to empty your pockets. All carry ons go through an xray type machine, so either wood or metal will show up as `pointy things'.

Lady Violet
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
You don't have anything on you when you go through the metal detectors, you have to empty your pockets.

unless it's between you and your clothes. :wink:

for the record, i would never try this. it was just one of those (in this case, not-so-random) things that pop into my head. i seem to get a lot of those! :teehee:

Mommy22alyns
09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I probably shouldn't like you for sharing this, but... :woohoo:

colleenm
09-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Has anyone actually tried these yet? I am brand new to knitting, and I only just bought size 8s and size 10s of a craft-store-type aluminum needles for my class. I also have one pair of bamboo needles (also purchased at craft store), but I find that my knitting is just too tight for those. My sister-in-law said to try the KnitPicks needles, but now my dilemma is WHICH ONES?
Wondering if anyone has an opinion of which they like better - the new Harmony wood ones or the Options nickel ones.
Thanks!

Knitting_Guy
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
They look nice and all that but I really like the slickness of the regular metal Options. Somehow I think I would be disappointed with these.

Wahlee
09-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Has anyone actually tried these yet? I am brand new to knitting, and I only just bought size 8s and size 10s of a craft-store-type aluminum needles for my class. I also have one pair of bamboo needles (also purchased at craft store), but I find that my knitting is just too tight for those. My sister-in-law said to try the KnitPicks needles, but now my dilemma is WHICH ONES?
Wondering if anyone has an opinion of which they like better - the new Harmony wood ones or the Options nickel ones.
Thanks!

Well, if your knitting is tight, I think you might prefer the metal ones. Not that I've tried the wood ones yet (they shipped yesterday!), but slick metal is usually better for tight knitting. On the other hand, people have been saying that the Harmony needles are more slick than most wooden needles, so maybe they'd give you a balance between slickness and control.

What I'd recommend is buying two sets of tips: one each in sizes you'll use a lot--I seem to use 7s and 8s an awful lot-- and a set of cables. It's a pretty small investment, and it'll help you know which you prefer before making the plunge of the whole set.

robynbird
09-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I got mine yesterday and did a small swatch real quick to see how they were. They were very slick and non-grabby. I bought (and sold) bamboo needles when I first started knitting. I didn't like the wood but these Harmony ones aren't liek those at all. They are smooth and slippery. :)

itsjustmeghan
09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi robyn! :muah:
how are you?! i hope you are well!
did you get the double points? or the circulars?
i'm really trying to decide if i want to get the circular 32" for knitting socks, or if i want to move back to double points....
i like the ease of magic loop, but i like the look and feel of working on double points. just makes me feel like i'm smart or something! :teehee:
so dish!! DPNs? or Circs?

Silver
09-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I just ordered a couple size 1 fixed circs in the Harmony wood yesterday. I figured they'd be a pretty pair of needles for my preferred sock knitting method, 2 circulars. If I love them, as I suspect I might, I'll use them in my next sock tutorial.

I'm hesitant to buy a whole set because I love my nickel plated needles so much. I love the speed. But I couldn't resist the beauty of those Harmony needles. If they're very slick, I'm going to be asking Santa for a fat KP gift certificate for Xmas... *siiiiigh*

robynbird
09-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi robyn! :muah:
how are you?! i hope you are well!
did you get the double points? or the circulars?
i'm really trying to decide if i want to get the circular 32" for knitting socks, or if i want to move back to double points....
i like the ease of magic loop, but i like the look and feel of working on double points. just makes me feel like i'm smart or something! :teehee:
so dish!! DPNs? or Circs?

Hi Meghan! I got fixed circs in size 1 (2.25mm) and size 3 (3.25mm); cable needles and sizes 4, 7, 9, 10 and 17 in the interchangeables. The fixed circs are the 32" for magic loop. I went with the 2.25mm in the 1 because I have an addi 2.5mm and wanted to see what the diff was...wow it is a lot different but I like it. :) The tips I got in my favorites sizes, except the 17. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking.... LOL

Silver - they are smoooooth! Also, the colors on the fixed circs are lengthwise rather than really swirly like on the tips, but they are really gorgeous!