PDA

View Full Version : heretical musings re ravelry

MrsDavis3
09-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I AM on the list, but...
I've been asking myself:

1 do I need ravelry?
2 do I want ravelry?
3 will ravelry actually improve my life, or will it be yet another time-sucking/tush-expanding/not even knitting while I'm at it/self-indulgent pastime that my life would be better without?

Just asking.

kristinw
09-08-2007, 01:18 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes. I knit while on the site so it can be productive.

:teehee:

Lady Violet
09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
ditto.
if you want to knit your christmas presents, ravelry is a great place to research pattern and yarn options. there are also lots of local groups, kind of like our "knitters near you" forum.

Jan in CA
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think, for me at least, that the groups/forums can replace KH in any possible way. NOTHING can replace KH. However, Ravelry is a fantastic resource!

Lets use the sweater I think I'm going to knit for example. I am thinking of making Sitcom Chic. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsitcomchic.html) So I can go into the pattern section of Ravelry and look it up. It tells me there are 54 projects either finished/in progress/frogged, etc. So I click on the link to the Sitcom Chic projects. From here I can see pictures and comments about every project. I can also click a tab on this page that shows me all the yarns people have used in their Sitcom Chic sweaters so I can get an idea about that.

That's the tip of the iceberg, but as you can see, it's very cool!!

Lady Violet
09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't think, for me at least, that the groups/forums can replace KH in any possible way. NOTHING can replace KH.

exactly!!! i'm just thinking, the more the merrier. :wink:

suzeeq
09-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Lets use the sweater I think I'm going to knit for example. I am thinking of making Sitcom Chic. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsitcomchic.html) So I can go into the pattern section of Ravelry and look it up. It tells me there are 54 projects either finished/in progress/frogged, etc. So I click on the link to the Sitcom Chic projects. From here I can see pictures and comments about every project. I can also click a tab on this page that shows me all the yarns people have used in their Sitcom Chic sweaters so I can get an idea about that.

That's the tip of the iceberg, but as you can see, it's very cool!!

Yes that would be less time consuming than the method I currently use - using Google to get people's comments and pictures of a project.

Julie
09-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I would say that for the first week I was on Ravelry, it was a time suck. But I saw the importance of entering all of my project info and decided to devote the time. After all, it wouldn't be the awesome collaborative community it is if no one took the time to enter their stuff.

Since then, it's saved me gobs of time. I adore it. What used to take an hour of googling and clicking around on forums and knitblogs now takes like two minutes. :thumbsup:

brendajos
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
it took me quite some time to get in and start using it once i got my invite. after i did though, i really enjoy it. i am happy to have a place that catalogs almost all my yarn (i didn't waste time on the cwap yarn or the partial skeins... and there are a LOT of them...lol) and all my needles. I also like that i get in a mood and want to make a baby blanket i can go through and see pics of baby blankets others have done. i can also see if there is a link to a pattern and save it. There are some fun groups in there but i don't spend much time in any group these days (including this one. :shifty:) it is definitely worth it but i think the thing that took me so long was that it was so overwhelming. It is also written mostly for the firefox users of the world and since i have no issues with IE there are some things on there that can be a bit buggy. (ooh and i still hate that i have to use flickr for my pics but i am getting over that! :teehee:)

Silver
09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes. I knit while on the site so it can be productive.

:teehee:
I agree 100%. I :heart: Ravelry! :cheering:

Shandeh
09-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Ravelry is now officially my FAVORITE place to search for knitting patterns.

Like yesterday, I wanted to make a headband. So I looked under "Patterns", and was able to search for headbands very quickly, seeing photos of finished projects right there on the screen. Plus, I could read people's opinions of the patterns, and what yarns they used.

There is NOTHING else out there like Ravelry. It's a brand new thing that is WAY cool. :thumbsup:

knitncook
09-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm still waiting for my invite, but what I can tell you is that I think I can use some of the tools to better help me organize my "stuff" Needles, so I don't buy the same pair again and again, Yarn so I know how much of what I have and what are some projects I can use it with, and patterns. I doubt it will replace either my blog or my postings here, but if I use it as a tool, an organization tool, then just maybe I won't have too many uncontrolled yarnages.

I'm in no hurry, really. When I get on I get on. I'll use what works for me and disregard the rest. And if it doesn't work for me, oh well.

MrsDavis3
09-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, knitcook, I think that's how I feel. For example, I don't often search for patterns. Most of the time I know exactly what I want to make. I do like to know about other knitters' opinions of yarn, though: if it's easy to work, if it pills, etc. And I have manageable stash and needle collection.

Most recently I bought Meg Swansen's "A Gathering of Lace" and when I start looking through it, it puts me into an altered state. It makes me feel like knitting lace of that quality should be my raison d'etre. I'm not young, but reading the book makes me want to dedicate the rest of my life to getting to the point at which I could make things like that! In short, books of this nature inspire me much more than anything I have ever come across on line.

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Ahhh but see Mrs. Davis, here is the beauty of Ravelry. I put the name of the book in the pattern search and look what I found. Everyone who is making these patterns! You can see how they look in different colors, yarns and comments. Just way too cool! :cheering:

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
still... waiting... for... invite...

:S

dakatzmeow
09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
and don't forget, if you find others who have knit your same pattern, they make comments about it. so you can see the mods they have made, or the pitfalls they have discovered.

plus, if you have a certain yarn, you can search for it and see what others have done to get ideas of what to do for it.

i love the queue and project pages too. i can track my progress on projects and see how many wip's i have in progress at any one time. it is uber satisfying to complete a project and add lovely pics and then share them with groups i am in. i even had someone favorite MY palindrome hat about 2 minutes after i posted it! how gratifying is that?

for those waiting for your invites, have faith, it is sooooooooooooooooo worth it.

jodstr2
09-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I just got my invite. I just went in there and signed up and joined the knittinghelp group :heart::hug: and signed up for Flickr and I'm exhausted :zombie: . woooo... it's intimidating, aii. I need to work on it when I have more time and energy. I can see how it can be useful for me, but doubt I'm organized enough to try to use it to get organized :roflhard: :aww: ...

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I just got my invite. I just went in there and signed up and joined the knittinghelp group :heart::hug: and signed up for Flickr and I'm exhausted :zombie: . woooo... it's intimidating, aii. I need to work on it when I have more time and energy. I can see how it can be useful for me, but doubt I'm organized enough to try to use it to get organized :roflhard: :aww: ...

:cheering: It is a little :zombie: when you first see it. I still don't have any stash listed and not even all my projects, but it doesn't have to be all at once. ;)

Shandeh
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I just love the place. I've entered a portion of my stash, but not all of it, by any means. One of the cool things on the site is this: When you put in your stash, then list a project that uses that yarn, it automatically shows that you have used that yarn from your stash! I'm wondering what other "hidden" tricks there are.

And another cool thing. I've already been asked two times if they can use one of my project photos as the site photo for a specific pattern! :)

mrslevite
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I just love the place. I've entered a portion of my stash, but not all of it, by any means. One of the cool things on the site is this: When you put in your stash, then list a project that uses that yarn, it automatically shows that you have used that yarn from your stash! I'm wondering what other "hidden" tricks there are.

And another cool thing. I've already been asked two times if they can use one of my project photos as the site photo for a specific pattern! :)Oh, that is too cool! Now I'm starting to get antsy about getting my invite! :woot:

Mariblue
09-09-2007, 10:25 PM
And another cool thing. I've already been asked two times if they can use one of my project photos as the site photo for a specific pattern! :)

I've been asked two times too! But I could only say yes once. I made some gryffindor socks, but adapted the pattern from the original, so didn't think it would be right to use that picture.
I like the books section too. You can search the name of a book under patterns, and it will bring up patterns from the book, kind of giving you a better picture of what's in the book and whether or not you'll like it. I just researched the book "Junior Knits" by Debbie Bliss on ravelry, saw that it's got some great patterns in it, and went ahead and bought it, based on what I saw from ravelry. And it's an awesome book, I know I will make several of the patterns from it.

Kaydee
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I've been asked two times too! But I could only say yes once.

I was asked once too, I thought that was pretty cool!

MrsDavis, I hesitated signing up at first thinking am I really going to use this? I just signed up for the heck of it to see what it was all about and boy am I glad. I honestly didn't even think I would really use it until I was able to get in and see all the cool features. Maybe you'll decide you don't need ravelry (gasp!) but at least you'll be in if you do decide to use it.

Jan in CA
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I would also like to say that if we sound like we are pushing you into it it's just that we who use Ravelry can't imagine anyone not liking it it. However, if it's not for you that's okay, too. :hug:

1to1
09-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree, I think it is time consuming to start with adding ALL your projects, yarns, needles, books, etc. :passedout: I felt overwhelmed at first but now I realize its not a race and I will just enter it as I have time.

I have had fun joining groups and looking at projects. It is set up really user friendly and pretty easy to navigate. :thumbsup:

When I first heard about it I thought whatever and didn't sign up right away but then I checked it out, signed up and couldn't wait to get my invite.:woohoo:

MrsDavis3
09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh dear.

You see, the fact is, the better Ravelry is, the more I think I should avoid it. Now I'm almost dreading it! I know it will mean even more TIME away from my OBLIGATIONS, you know, what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing! I can just imagine saying, "Well, I didn't make dinner, but I managed to get my entire stash entered into Ravelry."

So that's what I mean. Do I really need the temptation? I can't imagine that it will actually save me any time at all. I think it will just enable me in my avoidance of things I don't like to do, but should do.

ready2knit
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I wish I could post this with some sort of paper bag over my head, but here goes.....:???: I don't use my Ravelry!! I signed up for because every one here was gushing with joy and envy, so obviously I had to jump on the band wagon to see what all the fuss was about. Well, I still don't get it. :shrug:

Please don't hate me, but I'm just not feeling the love.

Sorry,

Jana

feministmama
09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I wish I could post this with some sort of paper bag over my head, but here goes.....:???: I don't use my Ravelry!! I signed up for because every one here was gushing with joy and envy, so obviously I had to jump on the band wagon to see what all the fuss was about. Well, I still don't get it. :shrug:

Sorry,

Jana

OOOooooOOOO give it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Jan in CA
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Sorry,

Jana

No need to feel sorry! Have you seen my posts in this thread? I can't imagine not having it to search patterns now. I posted some reasons to love it, but if you don't, you don't. :hug:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh dear.

You see, the fact is, the better Ravelry is, the more I think I should avoid it. Now I'm almost dreading it! I know it will mean even more TIME away from my OBLIGATIONS, you know, what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing! I can just imagine saying, "Well, I didn't make dinner, but I managed to get my entire stash entered into Ravelry."

So that's what I mean. Do I really need the temptation? I can't imagine that it will actually save me any time at all. I think it will just enable me in my avoidance of things I don't like to do, but should do.

I struggle with my computer time in general, and have to set limits for myself already. I figure if I spend my time on Ravelry then that is how I chose to spend the computer time. Unless I set my timer, I always end up beating myself up at the end of the day for getting sucked into X, Y, or Z.

Jill A.
09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Ravelry rocks!!

I find that I am making much smarter decisions about patterns and yarn. You can see the pattern, see the comments (for instance, on the sweater I am knitting, which I found on Ravelry in the first place, almost everyone said that the sleeves were too long, so I can shorten mine without having to rip them back after knitting), and see the yarn. I have purchased or not purchased yarn based on the comments about wear, pilling, shedding, or softness. This saves me both money and time. I have purchased yarn I had never heard of but saw and read about for the first time on Ravelry, which yarn I absolutely love and pet every day!!!

Ravelry makes me a smarter and more organized knitter, and I am making great friends there as well.

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 12:07 AM
One of the things I like is that I have already found lots of knitters in my area. Established knitters and spinners that live just a few miles from me! Unbelievable.

scout52
09-11-2007, 01:10 AM
HOw do you get an invite?

suzeeq
09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Sign up at ravelry.com. It'll take a while, there's about 30,000 knitters ahead of you...

scout52
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM
aah ok. i saw that people were waiting for invites. I thought it was like gmail and someone had to invite you. I'll go sign up.

Silver
09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Ravelry is a yarn index, a pattern index, designer index, book index, yarn shop index, and people index.

It's a message board and a group center. It's your personal knitting brag book, your photo album. It's your tool and yarn manaegment book. It's your Everything-Knitting Notebook.

And it's FREE.
:thud:

And it's everything for crochet too... and soon to be spinning. How can any knitter/crocheter NOT love Ravelry? :noway:

Jan in CA
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
What I want to know Kristin is how they do it for FREE! :passedout:

Silver
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Advertisements. Every knitting company under the sun should want to advertise there.

They're also going to be selling shirts and whatnot. They'll make a bundle off that stuff.

I have a sneaking suspicion it will not be totally free forever though. They'll probably have a free plan, and a paid plan with more tools and goodies. I'd probably subscribe so long as it's a really reasonable price.

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
What makes me mad though, is that someone stole your name Silver! :pout:

ChristinaKnits
09-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I would totally pay for Ravelry too...I didn't really know what the fuss was about when I first got my invite, until I started playing and figuring out all the uses...and now...I cannot imagine life without it...I am a fairly new knitter, working on my first sweater, so I had NO CLUE as to what kind of yarn to use, etc...but browing others' FO's gave me the yarn, sizing, mods, everything I needed to know...it's awesome, plus I like the groups too :) I have yet to get my stash up there...I'm dreading that job..lol

iza
09-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion it will not be totally free forever though. They'll probably have a free plan, and a paid plan with more tools and goodies. I'd probably subscribe so long as it's a really reasonable price.

It's exactly what I think too. I'm not sure I would pay, but I have to say, this thing is truly amazing!:cheering:

Silver
09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
What makes me mad though, is that someone stole your name Silver! :pout:
I know! And she's from Florida too! :eyebrow2: Stalker! Stalker!! :teehee:

astonh
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
From here I can see pictures and comments about every project. I can also click a tab on this page that shows me all the yarns people have used in their Sitcom Chic sweaters so I can get an idea about that.

Despite the fact that it will be, ohh, about a BILLION years until I get my invite. I've got a LOT more people in front of me than behind me.:waah: in line BUT this is one of the BIGGEST things that excite me about this group. Seeing how a pattern looks in different types of yarn, on different types of bodies, etc...

NOTHING will replace KH for me though. This is THE place for knitting know-how? (I ask "how"...all you guys/gals "know"!)

Thanks!

sinistral_needler
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I am looking forward to the day that there are more people behind me than in front of me ..
:thumbsup:

kristinw
09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Advertisements. Every knitting company under the sun should want to advertise there.

They're also going to be selling shirts and whatnot. They'll make a bundle off that stuff.

I know their plan is to stay free forever if possible. You can also donate if you want to help them out.

ArtLady1981
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I AM on the list, but...
I've been asking myself:

1 do I need ravelry?
2 do I want ravelry?
3 will ravelry actually improve my life, or will it be yet another time-sucking/tush-expanding/not even knitting while I'm at it/self-indulgent pastime that my life would be better without?

Just asking.

:roflhard: regarding your comment #3!

Your questions 1-3 are exactly my questions...however, I am now a RAVELER...but, I have not as yet entered my yarn and pattern info. What a daunting task. It is a "round-to-it" at this moment. Cripes. This summer I created a YARN STASH SPREADSHEET (Excel) to organize my yarn...and THAT IN ITSELF is a time-sucking thing to keep up-to-date. :eyes:

Silver
09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I know their plan is to stay free forever if possible.
Really? :noway:
Yay for the non-greedy Casey & Jess!!:woohoo:

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I have yet to get my stash up there...I'm dreading that job..lol
It's not as bad as you think. Especially if the yarn you have has already been entered by someone else. When you enter the name of your yarn, it will automatically search to show you options to choose from with the same name. Then, the only thing left to do is click the matching yarn, type in your colorway, and the number of skeins you have. :wink:

I know! And she's from Florida too! :eyebrow2: Stalker! Stalker!! :teehee:
Hey, if I ever ONCE see her taking claim to your sock tutorial, I'm TELLIN! :-x

ChristinaKnits
09-11-2007, 09:24 PM
oh, see I thought they had to be original pics????

dakatzmeow
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
i think/thought they have to be your own pics too. i just added a new skein of dishcloth cotton. it was already in the index, and no pic shows up in my stash. :(

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Exactly! If you have a pic, you can enter it. If you don't, you'll still see the yarn listed in your stash, but without a photo.

G J
09-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I Can't Wait!!! I understand why they're doing by invitation (can you imagine a website getting hit with 10,000 new people wanting to enter their own data in a WEEK?), but I admit I'm getting antsy for my invitation! I'm thinking Thanksgiving, maybe! IF they hurry up, maybe Haloween!

ArtLady1981
09-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I struggle with my computer time in general, and have to set limits for myself already. I figure if I spend my time on Ravelry then that is how I chose to spend the computer time. Unless I set my timer, I always end up beating myself up at the end of the day for getting sucked into X, Y, or Z.

Yup, I'm with you! Too true! :thumbsup:

Julie
09-12-2007, 12:59 AM
From the site:

1. I know the site is being tested now but how much will it cost to be a part of Ravelry in the future?The site will always be free for designers, independent dyers, spinners, crocheters and knitters! We want it to be an inclusive community- not just for those who can pay for it. Instead, we are planning to have tasteful and targeted ads- products and companies that we as a community will actually be interested in and want to support!I'm guessing that if Casey already quit his day job and they're not even out of beta, they've got the money part figured out :thumbsup:

MMario
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Lordy, Lordy - I guess I am definately in the minority.

I am on ravelry - but I've yet to see anything it can do for *me* that I can't do better, faster, easier off the site then on. It is *so* slow to load that it's painful. It has what feels to me a clunky and awkward interface - and to be truthful; offers me no benefits. I wil stay signed up as an emergency means of contacting some people from other sites - but that's about it.

kristinw
09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Lordy, Lordy - I guess I am definately in the minority.

I am on ravelry - but I've yet to see anything it can do for *me* that I can't do better, faster, easier off the site then on. It is *so* slow to load that it's painful. It has what feels to me a clunky and awkward interface - and to be truthful; offers me no benefits. I wil stay signed up as an emergency means of contacting some people from other sites - but that's about it.

It doesn't move slow for me at all. It is quite zippy actually.

Mariblue
09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I used Internet Explorer with Ravelry, and it was a tad slow. Then I heard that switching to Firefox would help, and it is soooo much faster! It really makes a difference.

dakatzmeow
09-14-2007, 11:24 PM
another firefox user here, and no slow loading.

ArtLady1981
09-15-2007, 02:32 AM
A new convert to Firefox here...no slow loading AT ALL.

An extra benefit: my PC-Cillin anti-virus/anti-spyware scans and my spyware scans are dredging up FAR FEWER spyware thingies. Sometimes, none at all! :happydance:

I can only assume that I am entering the net using a
safer vehicle since my internet travels are just the same as when I was using IE7.

AND...I love how Firefox performs. I have 15 frequently used websites on my one-touch tabs at the top of the screen. Saves the step of looking in bookmarks, or starting to type the url.

Shandeh
09-15-2007, 04:01 AM
I'll have to check it out! :wink:

Silver
09-15-2007, 10:01 AM
It is *so* slow to load that it's painful. It has what feels to me a clunky and awkward interface - and to be truthful; offers me no benefits.
It's never been slow for me either. :?? How do you connect to the internet? Are other websites slow too? And I know the navigation is much easier and smoother if you use Firefox.

Eh, it's ok though. It may not be for everyone. But I swear, I think it's the cat's meow. cloud9

suzeeq
09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Firefox loads webpages faster than IE in general. And I love having the tabs on differents sites, so easy to open one to check a link someone's posted, and switch back and forth to email, KH, other sites.

SusanMarie1956
09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I am on the waiting list... And have been waiting...

Susan

jodstr2
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
I love :heart::heart::heart::heart: using it but it's preeeeeeetty sloooooooooooooooow loading for me most of the time - and I'm on Firefox. :sad:

syndactylus
09-17-2007, 08:54 AM

I signed up a long long time ago and got my name, but then didn't use it until this weekend either too.
But just since yesterday I've already found things to do with almost all the yarn I bought because it was pretty, but then had no idea what to do with... (:oops: & I had only a vague feeling how often I'd done that until I started listing all my stash.) So now I'm even excited about knitting with the yarn I already have again, instead of buying more stuff just to look at - and I have a very long list of things to do...:zombie: