PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted for cascade 220

mornnen
09-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi All--

I checked knittersreview and they haven't reviewed this yarn, so I need your help. My plan is to knit the great american aran afghan one square at a time. I don't mind plymouth encore, but I want to keep consider other yarns as well. I saw online somewhere that someone had used Cascade 220.

I know it is 100% wool--but I don't know what it feels like. Is it appropriate for an afghan in terms of softness/scratchiness factor?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mornnen

Lady Violet
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
i wouldn't recommend it for an afghan. i've got a felted purse WIP in red cascade 220 and i know that if i wasn't felting it, i wouldn't want to use it for something next to my hands.

i suppose you could felt an afghan, but it would have to start out REALLY BIG and it might end up kind of stiff. :roflhard:

Jan in CA
09-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use it for an afghan for 3 reasons..
1. I can't imagine hand washing an afghan!
2. I think it pills if I remember correctly. :think:
3. It's great for felting, but I wouldn't want it next to my skin. I'm wool sensitive though.

Julie
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
There is a superwash (machine washable) version of Cascade 200 that is very soft -- I'd use that for an afghan -- but it is more expensive.

dakatzmeow
09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
i made a wallaby for my dd in cascade 220. so far so good.

zkimom
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I have bunches of Cascade 220 and I think that for wool it is pretty soft -- not merino soft, mind you, but soft enough for a sweater. In fact, I'm planning a Cable-Down Raglan in some Sapphire Heather that I got from LittleKnits as a bag sale.

I also love how it felts and I love the yardage you get for the money.

I think it's an all around great yarn for the price.

Best,
Susan