PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried 'Ice Yarns' ?

mscarmen
09-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi all,
I am a big fan of yarn shopping on the net. My fave is ebay, great savings and usually you can get a whole pack if you're project is a sweater of something. I usually only buy brands that i know ( debbie bliss, rowan etc ) but Ive always come across Ice Yarns while searching on ebay. I went onto their proper site www.yarn-paradise.com and they have a lot of different yarns, from luxurious alpaca silk blends, to fancy yarns of all textures. They're very cheap too. But I've never heard of them. If anyone has tried their yarns, what are they like? I am afraid of buying then getting dissapointed as I should've known better than to buy cheap yarn I've never heard of.
So if anyone has anything to say about this yarn please do so here, as I'd love some truthful reviews rather than the companies own testamonials!
Thanks!

suzeeq
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
What's the shipping charge? I see they're in Turkey, which is where a lot of yarn is made these days, but it's a long way off.

willowangel
09-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I've bought from Yarn paradise a couple of times, as I'm allergic to wool so their synthetic range is good for me :-) They're very courteous and fast, and the yarn itself is not of the highest quality, but wasn't expected to be, but really unusual and great for the price. I can't vouch for the wool ones, obviously, but think they'd be better than the synthetics - but the synthetics are great for coats and cushions etc. I just love the colour blends and the amount you get for a relatively low price.

mscarmen
09-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Their shipping charge seems very reasonable as well. But I really want to know what their more luxurious yarns are like. Their alpaca silk, which comes in a pack of 10 balls at 30gr each and 60 metres each for 12.50 is very tempting comapred to other brands. But while you would expect an alapaca silk blend to be soft, this one might not be.
their synthetic stuff looks more suited to the price, and with a wide range and colours maybe this website is more suited for something unusual. It will still be interesting to see what the 'gold series' ( as they put it ) is like.

alboyett
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I just placed an order on Monday and received the shippment today which is 3 days total. The color is a off from the website picture but it is very soft and a great deal. I have been searching for a yellow yarn that is more orange than pale and cant find anything anywhere so I am trying everything at this point. I was glad to find this site because they have a bunch of options. Still not the yellow I was hoping for but for 30 bucks and that includes the shipping I got 2400 yrds of some great yarn. I am a fan of touching the yarn and seeing the color but this might be my exception.

cresmoon
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Don't know if this'll be of any help to you, but here's their official website from which you can also order if you're in the US:

http://www.iceyarns.com/

swcheng15
04-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh interesting! I saw the yarn paradise website here, but was deterred from ordering bc I was unfamiliar with the name of the yarn. Good to know. Thanks!

slowfingers
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I tried that link and two others, at least this one loaded, but no photos.
The first time that I tried yarn-paradise.com, I could see photos and had little difficulty until about 20 minutes into it, then couldn't get it to load again at all.

Their on-line help has been discontinued, and their email page won't let me create one. Very odd, think I'll wait for awhile and try again some other time. Tempted to place an order just to try it out, but not sure I could successfully place an order given the page-loading issues. I don't have any difficulty with any activity online, so I know it's not "operator limitations".

scap64
08-28-2009, 09:44 PM
They now sell their yarns on eBay
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Yarn-Paradise__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Their eBay ID is Yarn Paradise: http://myworld.ebay.com/yarn_paradise/

I ordered from them on the 23rd and received the package yesterday (in the US). They ship VERY fast and respond to emails.

yoder178
01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
I use Ice Yarns by GSC textiles, inc; it is very unusual and unique yarn and my mother and I knit scarves with it. The yarn cannot compare to anything here in the US as far as uniqueness is concerned. I usually shop the sales, this way it amounts to about $1-$2/skein with shipping. We love the quality for scarves:):

givemeanick5
07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
L use Ice yarn l find it fantastic the colour and wool is nothing like we can get in Australia and a lot cheaper
angelsiceyarn.yarnshopping.com
this site gives you prices for australia enjoy :)