PDA

View Full Version : Please help Baby Jonah (and others)

Spikey
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Dear Friends,

Several of you know me, but I am mostly a lurker around here.

Now I ask for your help. An old friend wrote about a month back to announce the joy of the arrival of their new son (after many years of trying and much medical assistance).

I received this email from them this morning:

"At 3 weeks of age, our beloved new baby boy, Jonah had a fever, and we brought him into the hospital. In the ensuing 2 weeks, he has been given a diagnosis of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), a very rare disease in which one of his own immune cells is eating up his other blood cells. This is a rapidly fatal disease, and he has thankfully been stabilized after some time in the ICU, and has already received his 1st of 8 weeks of induction chemotherapy. Unfortunately, the only way for him to be cured of this terrible disease is a stem cell or bone marrow transplant (SCT/BMT) as soon as possible after completion of his initial chemotherapy, and hopefully, by the end of this year. We will have to proceed to SCT/BMT even earlier if he fails to continue to respond to chemotherapy."

Jonah desperately needs a matched donor. The best chance for a match is within the same ethnic group - in his case, people of Asian (particularly Chinese) descent. Unfortunately, the national bone marrow registry has exceeding few Asian registrants.

They have set up a website www.savejonah.com (http://www.savejonah.com) with much more information, and are arranging drives to recruit registrants. There are links on the site to drives being planned all over the country.

All it takes is a cheek swab. When you register, you become a potential match for anyone in the country - adults and children who needs your healthy cells. Who knows how many future knitters we could be helping!

You all are such a wonderful, caring group of people who have consistently reached out to help those in need. Please take a moment to visit www.savejonah.com (http://www.savejonah.com) and consider joining the national marrow registry.

If you are inclined to pray, they are people of faith and would appreciate that very much.

Thank you,
Erin

Silver
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Bumping this up.

I hope Jonah finds his savior... :hug:

dustinac
09-10-2007, 08:27 AM
aww he is so cute... I hope they find a match soon...
:hug::heart::hug:

ritaw
09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I wish Jonah and his family all the best with finding a matching doner.