PDA

View Full Version : One Fact That Few People Know About You?

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm always curious about people...no, not nosy. ;)

Anyhow, I sometimes learn neat little things about people...maybe something they don't share often. Not dark secrets, mind you. Just neat tid-bits.

What's something about yourself that not a lot of people know?

I'll start.

I was the Alabama State Typing Champion (manual typewriter) in either 1986 or 1987. I can't remember which year it was.

Doesn't this sound lame? I think it's hilarious because I don't feel that old, but this makes me sound like it. We were just starting to get electronic typewriters at our small school. Remember when everyone took typing classes? I had the unfortunate luck of sitting in front of a manual typewriter, complete with the carriage return, the first day of class. That's where I stayed for two years (Typing I and II). BUT, I learned to type. And I had a wicked right arm (the arm you use when you throw the carriage return...for those of you not old enough to know). My bf at the time was the state typing champ on an electric typewriter.

What a dweeb I must have been, eh?

:roflhard:

Anyhow, share your stories. I need a distraction from my classes -- mid-terms this week...

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
did that make me a pin up girl :roflhard::eyes:

Miss Moosey
09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
My apgar score was 2!

Carrie218
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I went on a blind date with Weird Al Yankovic. I was 14 (but looked *considerably* older) and he was 17.

It was one of the worst dates of my life.

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
:think: Uhh... I'm kind of boring I think.. but my DH is related to Mary Todd Lincoln. :teehee:

dustinac
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
hrmm...well, I asked my dad to become a blacksmith in his spare time... he has taken it up and now when I go home I get to join him...it's a blast watching the metal change shapes and beating the metal...great for stress :thumbsup:

I've made several nails and helped him with a dinner bell... It's sooo cool!! :woot:

does that count as one? :teehee:

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
My apgar score was 2!

Oh my goodness! Your health has improved, I take it!

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 05:09 PM
:think: Uhh... I'm kind of boring I think.. but my DH is related to Mary Todd Lincoln. :teehee:

That is very interesting! I read a biography about her a couple of years ago. It was extremely interesting.

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I went on a blind date with Weird Al Yankovic. I was 14 (but looked *considerably* older) and he was 17.

It was one of the worst dates of my life.

That is too funny!!!!! :roflhard:

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
My 3rd cousin is lead singer of the Heavy Metal group the "Lime Spiders". Mick Blood... yes, that's his real name.

I'm also relative to the pirate "Captain Blood" (his real name too)

My maternal grandmothers surname was Blood.

I guess that's two though.. huh? :D

IBAmyB
09-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I weighed 2lbs 2oz when I was born (at 34 weeks) and am a Twinless Twin. (My twin brother was still-born).

blueeyes28
09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Captain John Smith is one of my ancesters.

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow! Y'all have way more interesting facts than mine!!!

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Just remembered another one.. :D

I'm related to Mary, Queen of Scots.

mum2caden
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
~I was born at 27 weeks and nearly died at least three times. I was slightly over 2lbs- so I was actually big for the age I was, lol.

~My family is Acadian -French Canadians that were expelled during the 1700's. Many settled in the southern US and are called cajuns, but my family came back to east coast Canada. I can trace my family back to one guy from France that came to Canada in the 1600's. We are actually one of the very first families that came to the area.

~When I was in high school, (during the late 90's when the spice girls were popular) I was often mistaken for 'baby spice' and was asked for my autograph, to pose for pictures, etc constantly! I had people following me around all the time... I couldn't see it at the time, but looking back at the pictures now, I can see why, lol.

Quiltlady
09-09-2007, 07:01 PM
My mother was a nun and her name then was "Sister Celine". Well she left the convent and eventually met my dad and got married and had three children. I was the "baby" the last child. Guess what she named me??? CELINE. I even have the small pocket watch that was her's when she was a nun and "Sister Celine" is engraved on the back of it.

That's my only claim to fame. No famous or infamous people in my blood line...that I know of....yet.:roflhard:

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm related to Mary, Queen of Scots.That is so cool!!!

I'm a naturalized citizen. I'm part French-Canadian and part French-French (as in France...don't you call that Parisian?). I've got German in me too. I would love to know who my ancestors are. There might have been someone interesting in there. Unfortunately, my dad passed away a few years ago. He was going to write down all of that information but never got around to it.

momwolf
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
One of my best friends brother is Phil from the Rembrandt's.Now you are saying who the hell is that? They wrote and sing the Friends TV show them.

I used to build houses for a living

snowbear
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
hmmmm My daughter was born on her due date, within 30 minutes of my Dr. appointment that day.. she was born at 10:17 appointment was 10:45 .

I kept asking what time it was... my Dr. finally asked if I was taking meds.. I stated no.. but I had a Dr's appointment w/ a Dr. that didn't like his patients to be late.. He asked "who?" I replied you...

The anethesia Dr. & the nurses roared w/ laughter... All my Dr. said was push.

I'm related to Zachery Taylor through my mother's side, his daughter married Jefferson Davis... (the Confederate President), but she died and he remarried and had the family.

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok...so the next thread needs to be how to trace your genealogy! This is just amazing stuff!!!! I'm such a history buff. I wanna be related to Einstein! :teehee:

Ingrid
09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm very secretive.

:rofl:

I can't really think of anything good, but if someone is secretive, how do you know?:teehee:

jodstr2
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I :heart: everyone's posts in this thread! :clap:
I can't think of anything about me. no famous relatives, no special talents, nothing unique in my childhood, etc.

BinkyKat
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I guess the only cool thing I can think of, and I'm pretty sure it was posted before, is:
When dh and I picked our wedding date to accommodate our best man so he could be sure to be there-May 30th brought up the topic with the priest. He pointed out that my church records showed I was baptized, had First Communion, and was Confirmed all on May 30th in various years. Telling my mom this (since through my life I never remember those dates) she added that my maternal grandparents' and god parents' were also married on May 30. I do also remember that my highschool graduation was that day too. So, I consider 30 my lucky number.:lol:

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I can't really think of anything good, but if someone is secretive, how do you know?:teehee:

Hmmm...could the avatar be a hint??? :teehee:

Keep these coming y'all! I am so totally burned out from school that I needed something fun to read!

dagny
09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I speak French, but most people irl know that

I can wiggle my ears

My great x 2 aunt was Hazle McCoy of the McCoy / Hatfield feud

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I can wiggle my ears too! And flare my nostrils.

Mariblue
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm related to Charlemagne.

In high school, during my junior and senior years, I interned at the US Embassy in London, England, during the summers. I worked in the Immigration and Naturalization Department, preparing papers for US citizens who'd lost their passports and needed proof of citizenship to get back home.

Brandy Wine
09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I've lived in over 35 different houses...and I'm 21!

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I've lived in over 35 different houses...and I'm 21!

:passedout:

Military family???

AussieYank
09-10-2007, 01:20 AM
On my mother's side I am descended from Roger Sherman, who signed the Declaration of Independence, as well as Civil War General William Tecumpseh Sherman - my apologies to all those in Atlanta! (My grandmother's maiden name was Sherman.) My great-great grandfather travelled the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon.

feministmama
09-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm a blackout baby. In November (or was it October?) of 1965 there was a huge blackout from Maine to DC (i'm from Boston). You guess it, 8-9 months later was a small baby boom. I'm one of them! :teehee:

Silver
09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness until I was 13 years old.

That's when we first celebrated Christmas. JW's also don't celebrate birthdays and my first and only birthday party EVER was when I turned 30 and it was a 2 day long event.

JWs don't celebrate any holidays, not birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Easter, and certainly not Halloween. We only celebrated wedding anniversaries. :verysad:

I celebrate everything now. :woohoo:

gingerbread
09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
My claim to a little fame is through my husband:flirt:.
His cousin is Mark Fidrych, The bird from the Detroit Tigers he was the pitcher.He had blonde hair and would redo the mound after the other team was done and it was the Detroits turn at the mound. I think it was his team mates that gave him that nick name the bird.
Plus Edgar Allen Poe he married into my husbands family, and Sarah Goode she was on trial for being a witch in Salem. She died in jail before she has a trial.:passedout: That's about all :aww:

marykz
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I studied Latin, French and Russian in school and almost majored in linguistics. somehow I ended up in Biotechnology....

iza
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
My grandfather's uncle was a Cardinal (in the Catholic Church, Cardinals are the ones who elect the Pope). I did some research to know if he participated in the election of Popes, but I discovered that he never did... because both times where he could have, the vote took place before he could get to Rome! :shock:

Kaydee
09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I am related to Hanah Dustin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Duston), she is believed to be the first women in the U.S. with a statue. My mother used to tell me the story about her when I was young how she was captured by Native Americans and killed them to escape. For some reason I always had it in my mind that my mom told me she was believed to be a witch (since she was from around Salem, MA) but when I recently when we were talking about it it turns out that wasn't the story. All these years I had made up in my mind that she was a witch, I have no idea why I thought that.:shrug:

PurlyGyrl
09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Geez, I just realized :doh: how BORING I am! I don't have anything cool to add--just :sleepy: stuff!

I have been able to trace my family tree (through my Dad) back to the 1400s.

One relative signed the Declaration of Independence--John Morton.

I, too, was a premature baby-six weeks early and 4lbs. I'm now (40+ years later) 5'10" and NOT 4lbs. :rofl:

auburnchick
09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I thought of something else this morning.

I once ate 40 buffalo chicken wings in one sitting.

It was all-you-can-eat (every Wednesday) at our local Ryans ($3.50...can you believe it???). We were living in Auburn while my husband finished school. We used to go with a group of friends. The waiters would carry out humongous round trays of steaming wings and set them down on the middle of the tables. We would count the bones as we went to see who could eat the most. Of course, I was usually the only girl, so I lost, but I still managed to eat quite a few one night.

Oh, and I'm about 5'3" and, at the time, weighed about 100 lbs. I never gained weight during that time...can you believe it???

That same night, my husband ate over 70 wings. He won. ;)

I worked at the university's library (someone had to pay for those wings, you know). Needless to say, I rarely went to work on Thursday mornings...too sick from the wings the night before. :chair:

msoebel
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
My dh is related to the author of the "The Red Badge of Courage.".

He also was pen pals with Sarah Ferguson, also known as Fergie, previously of the Black Eyed Peas. It was back when they were both in Jr High...they both lived in LA and she was on a show, so he wrote in, and they actually wrote back and forth for several years before he got really involved in high school stuff and they just kind of stopped writing each other. He still has a picture of her from her 8th grade awards ceremony with her dad. You can totally tell that she has had plastic surgery since then...her nose is completely different.

My claim to fame? I was diagnosed with osteogenis imperfecta (sp?) when I was 11 (this is otherwise known as glass bones disease). I was told that by the time I was in my late 20s I would be confined to a wheel chair or at least using leg braces. My parents were "advised" that I should never attempt to have children...the stress on my bones could cause a vital organ puncture.

I went on to play street hockey in high school...no pads. I have no mobility problems and I haven't had a broken bone since the 7th grade. I also have an amazing child that I was able to carry past full term (she was a week late) with very few complications during pregnancy...and none related to "glass bones disease".:cool:

Misty

laptop_knitter
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
we can trace my dad's side of the family to 1600 when the hugonauts wereejected from France, and we know where the origial family built their first house :)

Mum dated Charles Clarke (Head of UK Education ) and Al Stuart (Newsreader on News at Ten) when she was in university.
I'm too young to have interesting facts about me...

misha rf
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
No one famous on my side of the family (that I know of), but on my husband's side, one of his mother's Italian ancestors was the librarian for Lorenzo de Medici. Got a title and a villa out of it, but the villa was sold ages ago. There was no $$ to go with the job!

cindycactus
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I am one of my grandfather's 103 grandchildren. He had 16 children. I guess I really had nothing to do with either!:roflhard:

dagny
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
I am one of my grandfather's 103 grandchildren. He had 16 children. I guess I really had nothing to do with either!:roflhard:

WHOA :eyes::oo::eyes:

PurlyGyrl
09-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey, CindyCatus! Don't feel like the only one (how could you with that many cousins:teehee:) I'm number 66 out out of 67 grandchildren of my grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side! Grandmother had 10 kids herself and twins run the family (one aunt has two sets!!!:noway:)

Sharly
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I have an aversion to seeing a shoe in the road. Weird, I know - but it just gives me the creeps to see a lone shoe in or beside the road. Dress shoes are worse than tennis shoes or sandals, and a pair of shoes really makes me squeamish!

Mulderknitter
09-10-2007, 06:49 PM
my mother likes to tell me I am part gypsy, we have ancestors from Sweeden and parts of italy that were known to have "gypsy" populations. Maybe that's why I like to travel so much?
Also, I lived in green bay, wi for a while, and my mom dated the quarterback (not favre) for a bit.
Not sure if this is special to me, but my entire family is completely nuts...:zombie:

Ingrid
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
my mother likes to tell me I am part gypsy, we have ancestors from Sweeden and parts of italy that were known to have "gypsy" populations. Maybe that's why I like to travel so much?
Also, I lived in green bay, wi for a while, and my mom dated the quarterback (not favre) for a bit.
Not sure if this is special to me, but my entire family is completely nuts...:zombie:

My Swedish father's grandmother was a gypsy! We could be related!

auburnchick
09-10-2007, 08:32 PM
My mom came from a large family too. She is one of 17 children, and a twin to boot. There were three sets of twins in her family. The first babies were twins...boy/girl. They died shortly after birth. The next set of twins were girls (my mom and her sister). The last set of twins came several years later and were boys. All 15 children are living still.

momwolf
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
My mom came from a large family too. She is one of 17 children, and a twin to boot. There were three sets of twins in her family. The first babies were twins...boy/girl. They died shortly after birth. The next set of twins were girls (my mom and her sister). The last set of twins came several years later and were boys. All 15 children are living still. :noway: :passedout:

remclave
09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.soulgazersundries.com/genealogy.html :teehee:

feministmama
09-10-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.soulgazersundries.com/genealogy.html :teehee:

no. WAY. :doh:

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 05:51 AM
I started doing a lot of things as a child I continue to be active in today :

I started collecting bookmarks at age 8, my oldest dated is from a public library the date on it is 1969. It was created for National Library Week and the librarians gave them out to you if you checked out a book during that week.

I started bowling in leagues at age 10.

I started collecting stamps at age 12.

I started collecting post cards at age 14.

nonny2t
09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow, I would go along and read and want to do a quote, then see someone elses and want to do a quote, so just let me say, this has been really cool. Some of this stuff is pretty funny and the historical stuff is cool.

Few people know that I sucked my thumb until after I got married (I had a dysfunctional family and had emotional issues which my adorable dh of 35 years helped me overcome, at least some of them and I just stopped without ever realizing it several months after we were married) I never told him until long after. It was like a person who hides their smoking. I was highly embarrassed about being an adult that sucked their thumb.

I have a thing about live rodents, be they mice and rats or even squirrels. :ick: I can't walk past their cages in pet stores, see them on tv, have never even watched the "Stuart Little" films because he looks too real. My 7 year old grandson thinks this is such a hoot that he buys me cards and gifts that are mice and rats related. He gave me this cute little clay mouse once when he was 5 so of course I had to pretend it scared me. We are taking him to Ratatouille this Saturday so I am sure I will have to play the "I am scared game." It is just live ones that really creep me out. My baby son and I lived with my in-laws in New Mexico when my husband was on his first Navy cruise way back in 1974 and they have kangaroo rats out in the desert. My in-laws lived out in the desert and I used to sit in a car with my feet up off the floor boards as the rats would run across the dirt roads. Makes me shudder just to think about it.

As for famous people, my great great paternal uncle was Eldwood Haynes. He invented the automobile in southern Indiana BEFORE Henry Ford. One of my great uncles was shot and killed outside a bank by John Dillinger who had come out having robbed it.

auburnchick
09-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Nonny,

I have to agree with you. The participation in this thread has been amazing! I'm really enjoying everyone's responses. Plus, I think it's cool that we're sharing things that we probably either don't think about sharing with other people or maybe don't feel comfortable doing so.

What a blessing to have such a wonderful, interesting group of friends.

:grphug:

Nobones
09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I have over 120 extra bones. Long story!

DQ
09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm boring...oh wait you all knew that! ;))

Erm...My mums side of the family is Polish, although my mum and her siblings were all born in Britain and raised British.

Oh and my dad was in the Army so I was born in a military hospital in Germany.

Sharly
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
So many interesting replies!! Makes me wish I had something more to share!!

Nobones - your screen name is quite the misnomer, huh? :)

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I have over 120 extra bones. Long story!

OOH share some with me!!

LOL I was born with out the support bones in both of my ankles, the ones that help you stand up .. lol

Every time I see an ortho they freak. You should not be walking. There is no way you can be walking unaided.
You should be in a wheel chair.

Not yet, anyway. I sometimes have to depend on soft style braces to be able to walk but not all the time.

scout52
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I was born with my feet turn inwards and I had to wear these special orthopedic shoe braces that were connected with a metal thingee to correct my feet that I hated!! I used to bang my feet on the ground when i had to wear them. I was born that way because my mother was only 4 11 and she had twins that were both over 5 lbs. not enough space.

iza
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, speaking of bones, I also have a genetic disease, called the nail-patella syndrome (NPS), or Fong's disease. Bones all over my body are, well, weird. My arms are very weak and I have some trouble with my feet and knees, so any sport is difficult. But other than that, it doesn't show much and I have a normal life, so I really can't complain.

This is one reason however why I do not want to have kids (I have other reasons too). The symptoms can be worst than the ones I have (kidney problems, etc) so I prefer not to take the risk. But it raises a lot of ethical questions for me and I don't really know how to answer them yet... :shrug:

marykz
09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I was born with my feet turn inwards and I had to wear these special orthopedic shoe braces that were connected with a metal thingee to correct my feet that I hated!! I used to bang my feet on the ground when i had to wear them. I was born that way because my mother was only 4 11 and she had twins that were both over 5 lbs. not enough space.

Whoa- I've never "met" anyone else who had this as a tot- how long did you have to wear the brace? my mom said I had it until I was about a year old or so. I used to whack her hard on the wrists with it when she tried to change the diaper... I don't think mine was from a space issue, but mom did have a hard time bearing children. She was so sensitive about it that there are NO pictures of me wearing the brace at all.

do you still have trouble with your legs/hips/feet? I've developed bursitis in one hip. no one knows if it is connected at all to the brace thing, but who knows.

The things you learn online!!!

scout52
09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Whoa- I've never "met" anyone else who had this as a tot- how long did you have to wear the brace? my mom said I had it until I was about a year old or so. I used to whack her hard on the wrists with it when she tried to change the diaper... I don't think mine was from a space issue, but mom did have a hard time bearing children. She was so sensitive about it that there are NO pictures of me wearing the brace at all.

do you still have trouble with your legs/hips/feet? I've developed bursitis in one hip. no one knows if it is connected at all to the brace thing, but who knows.

The things you learn online!!!

Hey you're the first person I met too!!! I had to wear them until i was almost 3. I actually remember wearing them. My mother used to cry when she put them on me because of how upset i got. I used to wack her to when she changed my diaper so she potty trained us really early starting at 16 months finished at 18 months. My twin feet were fine but our legs are slightly bowed. One of my feet still turn slightly when i'm relaxed.

just recently i've developed a pain in my left hip but i just put it off to doing martial arts for so long because its in my fighting leg. (but also the foot that still turns in) but maybe its related to that. i guess i never put 2 and 2 together.

my hip becomes inflamed for no reason. its strange. but i don't test positive for arthritis. (thank god because i'm only 30).

so your mom wasn't small? I wonder what caused yours?

what is funny is my twin didn't need the shoes. lucky girl. my mom said i would scream for the first hour and just slam my feet. she still has the shoes. sometimes she would jsut put regular shoes on the wrong feet becuase she hated seeing me so miserable. (she was only 19 when she had me so she hated thinking she was being a bad mother)

I also don't have any pictures of me in the shoes because she felt it was her fault that I had to wear them.

marykz
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
my hip becomes inflamed for no reason. its strange. but i don't test positive for arthritis. (thank god because i'm only 30).

so your mom wasn't small? I wonder what caused yours?

I also don't have any pictures of me in the shoes because she felt it was her fault that I had to wear them.

this is so interesting!!!!! I'm no medical expert so I have no idea if the hip thing is connected or not- I actually have a type of arthritis, so it could be totally different.

Mom is 5 feet 8 inches and I'm just under 6 feet, so I don't think it was her frame size. She did have several miscarraiges before I arrived. the most difficult loss was a set of boy twins she lost when she was 6 months pregnant. (now a days I bet they would have survived) I was "placenta previa" (placenta on the bottom instead of the top) and mom had a lot of bleeding problems when she was pregnant. My sister (younger) was born with different problems. (hydrocephaly)

So we have lots of theories but no real answers. I developed the lupus when I was in college- no issues growing or anything. the rheumatologist just sort of shrugs his shoulders and says "well, we don't know why any one person develops lupus, or bursitis: we just try to treat it." he didn't really think any of it was related. (but I'm allways trying to connect things and figure out WHY!!!)

I am sorry you have to remember it and I really feel for your Mom- I bet my Mom can relate. and the fact that only you needed it and not your twin is interesting! (and 5 pound twins in such a small frame- wow!)

Every so often (every couple years) I get a cortisone shot in the hip. it reduces the inflammation but isn't a very good long term strategy.

I'm SOOOOO glad you posted about this!! Thanks!

iza
09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
scout52, marykz, is what you had similar to clubfoot? Because I was born with that and it is a symptom of the nps syndrome! :shock: They had to cast my right leg and I had to wear special shoes/braces when I was a baby.

Braden
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I actually file my nails. There, I said it.

scout52
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
this is so interesting!!!!! I'm no medical expert so I have no idea if the hip thing is connected or not- I actually have a type of arthritis, so it could be totally different.

Mom is 5 feet 8 inches and I'm just under 6 feet, so I don't think it was her frame size. She did have several miscarraiges before I arrived. the most difficult loss was a set of boy twins she lost when she was 6 months pregnant. (now a days I bet they would have survived) I was "placenta previa" (placenta on the bottom instead of the top) and mom had a lot of bleeding problems when she was pregnant. My sister (younger) was born with different problems. (hydrocephaly)

So we have lots of theories but no real answers. I developed the lupus when I was in college- no issues growing or anything. the rheumatologist just sort of shrugs his shoulders and says "well, we don't know why any one person develops lupus, or bursitis: we just try to treat it." he didn't really think any of it was related. (but I'm allways trying to connect things and figure out WHY!!!)

I am sorry you have to remember it and I really feel for your Mom- I bet my Mom can relate. and the fact that only you needed it and not your twin is interesting! (and 5 pound twins in such a small frame- wow!)

Every so often (every couple years) I get a cortisone shot in the hip. it reduces the inflammation but isn't a very good long term strategy.

I'm SOOOOO glad you posted about this!! Thanks!

Your welcome. I'm so glad to hear someone else's experience!! interesting to hear that you have been diagnosed with lupus because just recently i have been told that i have "probable multiple sclerosis" or migraine variant or both. I wonder if its related. they tested me for lupus but I came up negative. they just retested me again. I really never spoke to anyone else about this so it really is nice to talk about it. I actually feel worse for my mother than myself. I mostly remember hating not being able to walk and having to crawl to get to placing when i knew how to walk.

iza- i'm not sure. my mother never called it club foot but i just wikipedia it and the device thingee (which i had to google) is the same so i guess so.

HollyP
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
A few interesting yet little known facts about me
My mom's twin older brothers have been best friends with Phil Donahue for over 60 years.

My cousin is married to Tom Brokaw's niece.

I once met Vern Yip in Ikea. He was so sweet!

While waiting in line at the airport Jesse Jackson tried to shake my hand while I was holding two bags. I handed him my heavier suitcase before shaking his hand. My mom was mortified and my brothers couldn't stop laughing!

My mom ran over my foot with her car that I have since bought and drive everyday.

PurlyGyrl
09-11-2007, 11:16 PM
:roflhard::roflhard: ContiKnitter!!!! :roflhard::roflhard:

debinoz
09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
I *wish* my parents had put me in leg braces when I was small. I was severely bow legged and now they have over corrected which has cause me a great deal of hip problems and pain.

I could ramble on for half a page of things about myself that *I* find interesting, but y'all wouldn't think so!

Rorshach
09-12-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm related to the Hatfield's, and my best friend is related to the McCoy's.

kbagel
09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
This post is great! A welcome distraction from my job hunt. I don't know how many Americans will appreciate this but I know all those from the UK will.

When I was studying in Italy, I met the boys from the British band Athlete. We're still friends and whenever they come to New York, we go drinking at the bar across the street from the SoHo House. I've even refereed their games of pool because they we're sure of the American rules.

I used to work in fashion and have met David Bowie, P. Diddy, Natalie Portman, and Claire Danes among some other people.

I guess that's about it, not too much interesting about me.

Sharly
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Kbagel - that sounds very interesting to me!

A few more odd things about me...

I have attached earlobes. I don't have the little hangy down part. It made it real painful when I got my ears peirced for the second time!

Also, I have a hitchhiker's thumb. On my right hand, my thumb will bend back to almost 90 degrees (that's a right angle, right?).

Also, I either have Lyme's disease and it is in remission, or, I was mis-diagnosed. Because the first doctor botched things up, the second doctor said there was no way to tell for sure unless symptoms manifested (which they haven't for over 10 years). I had two out of three abnormal lyme titers. :shrug:

All of you had such interesting things to tell...I just keep trying to come up with something to share!

kellyh57
09-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Ooooohhhh, I finally thought of one! I have a crooked thumb and so does my 1st son! Haven't figured out if 2nd son does or not yet. My right thumb never straightens out and there's a bone that sticks out right below it. I have no idea why. I was convinced that I broke it or something at a very young age (don't tell my mom, she gets mad) but now that Grant has it, I think it's some sort of hereditary thing. I've never looked up funky thumbs though to see :)

Kelly

Samsam
09-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm related to the first person born on the Mayflower.
My family (they were Dutch) long ago settled on Wall street and had a farm..so technically they owned Wall street. But there was this other family (that were our neighbors) "claimed" they owned it..and you hear their name mentioned for having once owned it.

fun times :teehee:

auburnchick
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Sam, that is way cool!

I just thought of something else.

My sister and I are married to brothers. And none of us have other siblings, so it's a very small world. Three of our kids are doule-first cousins (my sister's oldest is from her first marriage).

I know that's not too uncommon, but when I tell people, they are like :shock:

strawbz
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I have an aversion to seeing a shoe in the road. Weird, I know - but it just gives me the creeps to see a lone shoe in or beside the road. Dress shoes are worse than tennis shoes or sandals, and a pair of shoes really makes me squeamish!

AHA! I have a theory on this one, I reckon that alien abductees are sucked up into the spaceship with such force that it leaves their shoes behind :shock:. Hope that doesn't freak you out too much :oops:

*scurries back to Lurksville*

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
I met John Kennedy Jr and Carolyn Bassette in 1999 when they spoke at my college's commencement, 2 months before they died.

Knitting_Guy
09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
My ancestry includes Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Presidents John Adams and John Q Adams.

syndactylus
09-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm not a hypochondriac.

Shandeh
09-13-2007, 01:27 AM
I've only seen my real father about 4 times my whole life.

blueeyes28
09-13-2007, 06:29 AM
In fifth grade I took a field trip to Henry Wadsworth Longfellows house he lived in Portland Maine.

mare-nitt
09-13-2007, 06:50 AM
My first husband was a professioinal magic clown, he did shows for adult and kids parties. Dressed up in full clown make up, and yes I was his assistant, wearing the evening gowns and helping with the doves in the act. I even had to pop out of disappearing tricks.

It is weird to think back to those days.

Sharly
09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
AHA! I have a theory on this one, I reckon that alien abductees are sucked up into the spaceship with such force that it leaves their shoes behind :shock:. Hope that doesn't freak you out too much :oops:

*scurries back to Lurksville*

Gee thanks!! And, no, that doesn't help at all!!! :hiding:

sinistral_needler
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Ok...so the next thread needs to be how to trace your genealogy! This is just amazing stuff!!!! I'm such a history buff. I wanna be related to Einstein! :teehee:

Re: the genealogy stuff. I grew up in a small town, and there are several families with my last name residing there. However, we are not all immediate family. Evidently, there was a set of brothers in the Civil War - one went with the North, the other with the South - and our family spit at that point. The interesting thing is that there are members from the split families that somehow ended up in a little town in Wisconsin. The City Mayor and my dad are like, cousins 34 times removed or something like that.

msoebel
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I am bigger on texture than on taste when it comes to food. What do I mean? There are some foods I cannot eat, no matter how appealing their flavor, simply because the texture makes me queasy.

Examples: Yogurt. Cooked veggies. Some brands of ice cream. Cream of anything soup.

Misty

LoAnnie
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I also wore leg braces as a child. I even had to sleep in them. I wore them until I started Kindergarten, because my mom didn't want the other kids to make fun of me. The braces did no good as my feet still turn in. The only option to fix them is surgery, and I'm quite attached to my legs at this point. My mom was also 4'11" and I was born late. An issue of crowding.

Other interesting things. I actually do look like Little Orphan Annie. I'm decended from Eric the Red. That's about all I guess.

LOAnnie

marykz
09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I also wore leg braces as a child. I even had to sleep in them. I wore them until I started Kindergarten, because my mom didn't want the other kids to make fun of me. The braces did no good as my feet still turn in. The only option to fix them is surgery, and I'm quite attached to my legs at this point. My mom was also 4'11" and I was born late. An issue of crowding.

Other interesting things. I actually do look like Little Orphan Annie. I'm decended from Eric the Red. That's about all I guess.

LOAnnie
Wow- how interesting about the braces!!! Clearly I was lucky I only needed them for a year. glad you are still attached!! I wonder if now-a-days they do anything differently, like deliver the babies earlier, or have a different intervention....

and now I'm thinking about Little Orphan Annie in Viking headdress!

giedre11
09-13-2007, 07:58 PM
My second and third toes on both feet are grown together approx. 1/3 of the way up. My mom and sister both have the same thing, except theirs is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way grown together. I know, so fascinating. Don't know who I'm related to, most of my relatives are still over in Lithuania. My parents fled to the US during WW II. I was the only family member born here. Didn't speak any English till I was about 4 or 5 years old. I picked it up in about 3 months living with my cousins who did't know any English. I still say things like "plug it out" instead of "unplug it". Do I win??

Knitting_Guy
09-13-2007, 09:49 PM

LOAnnie

I also wore those damnable braces when I slept. I hated those things.

debinoz
09-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I wrote 2 books... both of them were rejected. They made a nice little bonfire.

scout52
09-14-2007, 12:05 AM

LOAnnie

Wow- how interesting about the braces!!! Clearly I was lucky I only needed them for a year. glad you are still attached!! I wonder if now-a-days they do anything differently, like deliver the babies earlier, or have a different intervention....

and now I'm thinking about Little Orphan Annie in Viking headdress!

LOAnnie- Interesting I was born early by a couple weeks and I still had crowding issues-but that's probably because i was sharing the real estate with my sister.

marykz-i researched and it appears that the options are the brace or surgery and alot parents choose the brace bc they don't want to put their kids through a risky surgery.

Knitting guy welcome to the brace club!! it totally sucked didn't it. How long did you have to wear it for?

Lisa Kay
09-14-2007, 02:20 AM
I've gone skydiving.

dagny
09-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Gee thanks!! And, no, that doesn't help at all!!! :hiding:

OMG I thought I was the only person with a complex about shoes on the side of the road. Where do they come from? I really cannot accept the UFO theory.

I have spent many hours talking about this topic with reluctant friends. It's so funny to find someone else who has even given it a thought! :aww:

Sajomaro
09-14-2007, 02:37 AM
My toes are curled, except the big one. When you look straight down at my feet you can't see my toe nails. It's genetic. My father's toes are even worse. His curl right under.

remclave
09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
:eyebrow2:Oh I just remembered! When I was in 4th grade, I used to live in a house that was converted from an old stagecoach stop near Valley Springs, CA. The interesting thing about it is that it is supposed to be the place where Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote his story about the Rancho Calavares Frog Jumping contest.

Sharly
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
OMG I thought I was the only person with a complex about shoes on the side of the road. Where do they come from? I really cannot accept the UFO theory.

I have spent many hours talking about this topic with reluctant friends. It's so funny to find someone else who has even given it a thought! :aww:

Christine! I can't beleive you feel the same way! Most people think I'm nuts when I admit it to them!

I once told a coworker, and she laughed and laughed. Then, when I went on vacation and came back, she was on vacation but had left me a note:

"...workstuff, blah blah, workstuff, blah blah, and oh, by the way, I saw a shoe on the side of the road and thought of you!"

Yeah, that's what I want to known for! :eyes:

Mariblue
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Christine! I can't beleive you feel the same way! Most people think I'm nuts when I admit it to them!

I once told a coworker, and she laughed and laughed. Then, when I went on vacation and came back, she was on vacation but had left me a note:

"...workstuff, blah blah, workstuff, blah blah, and oh, by the way, I saw a shoe on the side of the road and thought of you!"

I'm always a little worried when I see one shoe, and wonder about the person who lost it. :teehee: Maybe especially because I once saw, in the middle of the road, a pair of jeans. And then, a little further down the road, a button down man's shirt, and some socks. And then, one lonely shoe. And I couldn't help imagining some poor naked man running around in the wilderness with one shoe on!:shock:

Sharly
09-14-2007, 10:44 AM
It does fire the imagination, huh? For some reason, clothes don't bother me. Only shoes!

ecb
09-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I too can wiggle my ears, so much that I can look under the edge of my glasses if I do it right.
if I bend my first finger join, I can disconnect my second one, so there is ZERO muscle controle and I can flap them
I never did understand about Fame, I grew up aroundpeople other people looked up to, so never saw celebreties as anything special (made it hard to learn to Kiss @$$ later in life)
When I was born I was 10# 3oz, and my First child was 10# 7oz, and my 3rd, (my RUNT at 8# 13oz) I caught her myself when she was born
my Xh learned Englih from the TV and Grade School, even though he was born in this country

and about that shoe thing
I once stopped on the highway becasue I saw a babies shoe on the side of the road, then a couple miles later I saw another shoe, a sock and a hat, then a couple miles after that another sock.
at the next rest stop I found the mother of the kids who had nearly stripped in her car, and thrown a BUNCH of stuff out the window. I handed it back to her and I went to the bathroom, Story over.
maybe it bothers me too, I know the gang shoes bother me a lot (the ones on the phone lines)
and I once left my parents house and climbed a mountain, and was gone for over 24 hours and no one noticed
I was about 13 at the time

ecb

dagny
09-14-2007, 10:52 PM

I can't believe I found someone else with the same quirk. I am having a total small world feelilng right now. People riding in the car with me always say "look, shoes" as if I WANT to see them... nope, they make me sad and nervous!

I'm always a little worried when I see one shoe, and wonder about the person who lost it. :teehee: Maybe especially because I once saw, in the middle of the road, a pair of jeans. And then, a little further down the road, a button down man's shirt, and some socks. And then, one lonely shoe. And I couldn't help imagining some poor naked man running around in the wilderness with one shoe on!:shock:

:rofl:

I wrote this almost two years ago:

Why are there always shoes on the road? They are usually in pairs.

Hypotheses:

1) Someone goes shoe shopping, puts on the new ones on the way home, and tosses the old ones out the car window;
2) Someone takes off his shoes while riding in the car; their stench becomes overpowering and revolting, and they must be tossed out the car window;
3) The (pairs of) shoes are strategically placed on highways as a joke, by hippies.

newamy
09-15-2007, 12:55 AM
I cannot contribute to the shoe comment except one time I drove by an accident where a pedestrian was hit and one of her shoes had flown off and was at least a 1/4 of a block away. So now if I see stray shoes I wonder about that. But I'm not squeamish about it.

Ancestry: My grandparents used to do lots of geneology. I am directly decended-meaning she's my many times great grandmother from Elizabeth Winthrop. She was quite scandalous for the times-she divorced her 2nd husband and remarried. Her first husband died. Second husband was insane. Her 3rd marriage was not recognized in the English colonies where she would have been arrested for adultery. She had to stay in the Dutch Colonies. She arrived in The New World with the Puritans. Her Uncle was John Winthrop the 1st govenor of the Massachusettes Bay Colony.
I am somehow a very distant cousin to Winston Churchill through his mother.
I have a Mayflower ancestor but do not recall the name just now.
For all of that I have no pioneer ancestors- the family migration stopped in the mid west and my grandparents moved to Oregon in the 30's.
Someone mentioned being related to Sherman, my grandma's uncle was in Sherman's army but lost an arm before they entered Georgia and burned Atlanta. The family has always been glad that he didn't participate in that.

As far as what few people know about me... I once worked at McDonalds. Ugh. I also once worked at a radio station. I once saw fireworks on 4th of July at the Mall in Washington DC-it was 1988.

ScandaKnitvian
09-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Hmmm...don't think I have anyone famous in my family tree, at least that I know of, but the guy who played the organ at our wedding is the brother of Sinbad, the comedian.

I always wonder about shoes on the road, too. Doesn't creep me out...I just wonder why there are so many of them.

Patty

ScandaKnitvian
09-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Here's a poem about abandoned shoes:

http://www.candlelightstories.com/Stories/TheAbandonedShoe.htm

SabrinaJL
09-15-2007, 02:13 AM
I am bigger on texture than on taste when it comes to food. What do I mean? There are some foods I cannot eat, no matter how appealing their flavor, simply because the texture makes me queasy.

Examples: Yogurt. Cooked veggies. Some brands of ice cream. Cream of anything soup.

Misty

For me it's bananas. I LOVE the taste of banana, but the actual texture of a banana makes me gag. Sometimes I can eat them, but most of the time, I can't get past the texture.

Mariblue
09-15-2007, 12:54 PM

That's a cute poem!

Sharly
09-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Oh! Mariblue, that poor guy!!

and about that shoe thing
I once stopped on the highway becasue I saw a babies shoe on the side of the road, then a couple miles later I saw another shoe, a sock and a hat, then a couple miles after that another sock.
at the next rest stop I found the mother of the kids who had nearly stripped in her car, and thrown a BUNCH of stuff out the window. I handed it back to her and I went to the bathroom, Story over.ecb

Well, that is certainly one explanation!!

I can't believe I found someone else with the same quirk. I am having a total small world feelilng right now. People riding in the car with me always say "look, shoes" as if I WANT to see them... nope, they make me sad and nervous!

Yeah, why do people do that????

I cannot contribute to the shoe comment except one time I drove by an accident where a pedestrian was hit and one of her shoes had flown off and was at least a 1/4 of a block away. So now if I see stray shoes I wonder about that. But I'm not squeamish about it...

Ugh!! That's exactly the kind of thing I always think about when I see them!!

I always wonder about shoes on the road, too. Doesn't creep me out...I just wonder why there are so many of them. Patty

Funny!! I didn't know so many other people gave this much thought to shoes on the road! I kind of liked the poem :)

rebecca
09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
OH, the ancestry reminded me of something, but it's all on Lonnie's side of the family, lol! Descendants of Sir Francis Drake and a Monsignor Mercier. And, ya'll know I'm an open book.....let me think:think: Oh, okay, even I don't remember this..when I was very young I was very, very pigeon toed (don't know the "correct" term) and at night I had to wear a brace holding my feet apart and I was the last child (the accident/miracle child, bro, sis 12 &10 yrs older than I) so I slept with my parents when I wanted and seems like I kicked them all night with that brace...shows the love of parents, doesn't it?!
I was a respiratory therapist before I became disabled.
I was a clinical instructor at a local university and the wreck that began this mess with my leg...well, just so happens that the person who hit us in the wee hours that night was ONE OF MY STUDENTS:roflhard: I'm just happy to know that when he ran the stop sign that there was no way he could have known who it was he was going to hit because then I would have felt hated all of my life:roflhard::roflhard:

Sharly
09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Rebecca! I was a suprise baby, too...and get this: My brother is 12 years older and my sister is 10 years older! I've never met anyone else in that situation... Cool!

Braden
09-15-2007, 05:55 PM
:roflhard::roflhard: ContiKnitter!!!! :roflhard::roflhard:

I don't see what's funny about it. I could never clip them without cutting too far, so I just started filing them.

angel4ever
09-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Hmm, let me see...

I had a benign tumor removed from my breast 11 years ago.

People assume that I dye my hair because I am a woman of color. I really was born with brown hair. It used to be more of a rust color when I was younger. Now it is a honey brown.

When I attended public school for the first time after attending private school from K-2nd grade, my school was going to skip me right to the 5th grade after finishing 3rd grade because I tested well above a 7th grade level. My grandmother said no because I would have only been 8 years old.

I'm allergic to eggs, but I like them.

I'm allergic to tomatoes & tomato products which is bad because I love eggplant parmigania, pizza, & all types of salsa. I have to take a benadryl to keep from breaking out in a horrible rash all over my body that makes me itch something terrible.

I'm sure there are other things....If I can think of them I'll post them

ETA: I don't eat foods that are white in color. The only exceptions are mozzarella cheese (browned), mashed potatoes (lots of gravy). For some reason I just can't.

I cannot eat foods with a creamy texture or I will totally gag. The only exception is home made banana pudding and mashed potatoes with gravy.

auburnchick
09-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Rebecca! I was a suprise baby, too...and get this: My brother is 12 years older and my sister is 10 years older! I've never met anyone else in that situation... Cool!

My dd used to play soccer with a gal who had a brother who was 11 years older than her.

When dd's teammate was 11, her mom found out she was pregnant with baby #3. A total surprise. She called her husband, who was at the doctor's office making an appt to get a vasectomy. She was like, "Honey, I don't think you need to worry about that appt...it's too late."

:chair:

So all of the kids are 11 years apart. Second two were unexpected...the mom didn't think she could get preggers again. NOT!

:clink:

scout52
09-16-2007, 12:51 AM

my uncle was a surprise baby. he is 17 year younger than my father and only a year and half older than me. My father had me at 18. we went to the same pre-school, elementary school, day camp, then i moved to a different state.

People are alway surprised when they meet us. He just got married and i'm older than my new aunt by 9 years. :) it freaks her out a little. the only one she is older than in my family is my little sister and only by one year.

SabrinaJL
09-16-2007, 01:28 AM
My siblings and I are pretty spread out too. Our ages are 40, 39, 33, 30 (me), and 20.

Shandeh
09-16-2007, 02:16 AM
When I was growing up, our neighbors had a very late surprise baby like that. I used to babysit for him. He was just a baby, and he had nieces and nephews in their teens! :teehee:

Rorshach
09-16-2007, 02:38 AM
I don't see what's funny about it. I could never clip them without cutting too far, so I just started filing them.
Nothing funny about it, better than what I do, which is tear my nails off, can never find a decent pair of clippers.

bjc1050
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
My husband 's family tree includes John Alden and Priscilla Mullins...also, Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman).

Not so sure I should reveal this...don't want to scare anyone, but my family tree includes the Jersey Devil.

Gloriapike
09-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Hehe, I've got you guys beat for family gaps. I'm 20 years older than my youngest brother! He wasn't really a surprise. There's 6 other kids in between us. ;)

Hmm.. interesting little-known facts:

- I was a state spelling bee champ once.
- My father-in-law (who I have only met in person once) was one of the original members of The Lettermen. Oddly enough, my grandparents may have seen him perform when they were young. Also, my father-in-law was once kidnapped by Ferdinand Marcos.
- Remember that tv show version of "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego"? Well, I was on the scaled-down, traveling version of the show. I came in second place to a kid who had cancer or something so he probably deserved to win more than I did. : p

hummingbird
09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, I have hyperextension. My elbows bend a bit past 180 degrees. My wrists and ankles go farther than normal. Mostly it just weirds people out, but in the ankles its helpful. I can step on my ankle with it turned 90 degrees to the side and not get hurt. I only got a sprained ankle once when I fell on it on gym class.

Acording to my cousin who is into geneology, I'm related to Henry Hudson.

Krystal
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Let's see... I secretly sucked my thumb till I was 12. I have an inkling it was my security related to my dad, as when I lived with him for a month when I was 12, I just randomly stopped, and haven't since.

My parent's chose to have a baby when they made me, because of cigarettes... My grandfather (moms side) had been a smoker since he was 8 back on the farm with the old fashioned hand rolled filterless cigarettes. In the early 80's he got Lung cancer, and underwent chemo. He had numerous heart problems because of the smoking, and the chemo didn't help that. After my moms last visit with him, she felt he wouldn't live long enough to see grandchildren, and she was the only daughter who was married and in the position to do so. So they made me. 2 weeks later he passed away, and 1 week after that they found out that I was cooking in her oven.

I have a TON of things in common with my grandpa and it always freaks my mom out when she finds more, especially since they aren't things she had in common with him. (food tastes, personality trait type things)

Every male I have been good friends with in highschool, has turned out to be gay. Only one of them I knew was gay before he admitted it. This became an inside joke with me and my friends joking that I was in fact the "Gay Fairy" so for hallow e'en one year I dressed up as a gay fairy and went up to everyone at the bar and tapping them with my wand saying "Tap! You're Gay!" (since it was a gay bar, they didn't mind :))

I am a huge holiday nut. I planned my wedding to be in the beginning of October, specifically so I can "kick off" the Holiday Season. So it will go Wedding, Thanks Giving, Halloween and then Christmas...

Also I start celebrating Christmas November 1st. I quite literally blow out my Jack o'Lantern, put away the candy and costumes and pour myself a glass of eggnog. I decorate the first weekend of November.

A local radio station makes it easy, (100.3 WNIC) since they start playing 100% Christmas music and nothing else November 1st till Christmas Day. :heart::heart::heart:

Also, every year my mom gives me a hippo -something for Xmas, because of the Hippo Song (http://www.members.shaw.ca/grandmafaith/hippo.htm). last year was a really cute stuffed purple hippo.

Misty

I am the same way about textures, but with the opposite foods. I can't do Jello, and any 'crisp' fruit or veggie... I hate hate hate apples and grapes. I force myself past the crispness for Green Red and Yellow peppers because I just love the flavour so much. But I enjoy veggies if they are in a soup, and baked apples...yum.

gingerbread
09-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Oh wow my poor parents we were surprise babies. Twins girl-boy my sisters were 10 and 13 when we were born.

letah75
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm related to Pleasant Tackitt (the "Fighting Parson") (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasant_Tackitt) and his brother Mann Darius Tackitt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Darius_Tackitt).

I'm a direct descendant of a survivor of the Mountain Meadow Massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre). Actually related to the Tackitt, Jones, Poteet, Miller and Cameron families that were on the train! Directly descended from all but the Cameron's (they were cousins).

I'm also a direct descendant of the Fort Tackitt (http://www.stalbanswv.com/history.shtml) Massacre in 1790.

My family was on the Trail of Tears.

I'm descended from Alexander Selkirk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Selkirk), the person Robinson Crusoe was written about.

I'm also descended from Jonas H. McGowan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_H._McGowan).

My great grandmother was born during the Civil War, but I'm only 31 (long generations in our family).

Myself, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great grandfather and great-great-great grandmother are all scorpios.

My thumbs are double jointed. :teehee:

Arielluria
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Gosh, I don't know. My life's a pretty open book........besides, HOW can I compete with going on a blind date with Al Yankovic. LOL! That's a great one!

OK........I'm teaching myself to speak, read and write Hebrew. I guess nobody really knows that about me because they don't speak it! LOL!

JIC you wonder why....I learn languages easily (I speak 4 fluently) and was looking for a new one to learn for years. I figure it would be good brain exercises for me. Hebrew became more and more interesting and beautiful as I heard phrases spoken here and there in Messianic music and Scripture teaching.

As we say in the south.............Shalom y'all :waving:

auburnchick
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Lu, that's just fabulous. What a wonderful way to enhance your Bible study too!!! Very impressive! :thumbsup:

madametj
10-28-2007, 04:48 PM
what a great thread! i just stumbled on it in a search and read the whole thing!

well, lets see, did you know that i knit?:teehee:

i was part of a handbell choir in junior high.

oh, and i can think of at least to very famous relatives. Adam and Noah. :thumbsup:

Arielluria
10-28-2007, 06:10 PM
oh, and i can think of at least to very famous relatives. Adam and Noah. :thumbsup::hug:Well, then, we're related ;)

auburnchick
10-28-2007, 06:17 PM
My long lost sista's!!! :hug:

I knew I liked you...I just didn't know why! :teehee:

Madame, I played in a handbell choir at two churches I belonged to. The church I currently attend just started on up, but I'm too busy to join right now. :cry:

Oh, and I thought of something else about myself. I can't remember if I posted it already. I'm a naturalized citizen. I got naturalized in 1995 or 1996 when I lived in Miami...a truly awesome experience! Right next to voting that first time. :thumbsup:

Kels Joy.
10-28-2007, 06:34 PM

two twin boys i'm friends with at school [about 16 years old now] got a new little sister last year [they were 15, and their older brother was 18]. their parents were divorced, and their father remarried. it's his wife who had the baby.

i always have to have things straight, or symetrical. like things have to be even on each side or it bothers me SOOO much. i'm super scared of deep water, so i wont wade out into unfamiliar lakes or oceans past my waist, if even. i even got scared/panicked in class the other day while watching a video that showed a passenger ship [the lusitania] sinking during world war one.

Mommy22alyns
10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
If you knew me IRL, these would shock you:
I like some rap music.
I used to have a tongue stud.

:wink:

Songbirdy
10-28-2007, 11:21 PM
That was fun and I enjoyed every last post!

Lets see... my mother's side of the family has their lineage traced back to the late 900's A.D.

I grew up in Bangladesh, I was born there and came to Canada when I was 14.

I've met Queen Elizabeth, Ronald Regan, Pierre Trudeau, and Pope John Paul (the recently deceased).

I sung "Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock" for the Queen.

I told the Pope that I was the kind of Christian that didn't need a Pope, and I was also the kind that didn't believe in Santa Claus or Halloween either. He blessed me and told me to keep the faith. Then 6 month's letter my parents received a parcel from the Vatican with a picture of the Pope blessing me and a letter signed by the Pope telling them about how I made an impression with him.

I was wearing my red gym shorts and pigtails. I knew about the whole thing for ages and that I was going to meet him. But I was mad because I wanted to do Pole Gymnastics's that day and I had to give it up instead. I was 8 at the time. So I decided that I was going to sneak out of the event.

But my gym teacher caught me and sent me off in a hurry to meet the Pope.

My father also met him, and recalls that when he came home that night I had remarked that I thought it was silly to get so worked up about a man but that he had a great car!

Now I know I was... not so smart! [and I just realized that my son is 8~ eek...!]

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I love your story, Songbirdy!

Arielluria
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, and I thought of something else about myself. I can't remember if I posted it already. I'm a naturalized citizen. I got naturalized in 1995 or 1996 when I lived in Miami...a truly awesome experience! Right next to voting that first time. :thumbsup:Me too! I was naturalized in 99, and got to vote for the first time in 2000!:waving:

auburnchick
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Lu,
Wasn't that just the neatest thing?? I remember walking in and being so unsure. Of course, the volunteers (all nice retired folks) were thrilled to help me once they found out I had never voted before.
I was also part of the voting block that was severly questioned during the Bush/Gore election. After only having voted a few times, I was highly concerned that I had voted for the person I intended!