PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Had a Brush with Someone Famous?

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Letah's thread got me thinking about this topic...

Have you ever met anyone famous?

I'll start (I'm on a roll today)...

I once met Eric Estrada. Okay, okay, now I am starting to date myself. When I was a teenager, we went to France to visit family, and when we were going through customs, I saw him. Of course, he had been in first class, while we were stuck in the back. CHiPS was still going strong, so he was still cool. I got his autograph and saved it for years. Kind of hokey, but funny now.

We also saw Doug Flutie at Disney World once. My daughter's team was playing in a soccer tournament, and someone saw him. We got a picture taken with him. He was very nice and accommodating.

Yarnlady
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Probably 12 years ago we were on the tram tour at Universal Studios and Bill Cosby came out to talk to us. I offered to give him all my kids (6) and he complimented me on my new Mickey Mouse t-shirt. Short conversation, but it's my claim to my 15 minutes!:teehee:

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Ahhh now this one I can answer! We were at Disneyland once and they were filming a segment for the George Lopez show! I saw him and a few of the other cast members at various points around the park. ;)

And oh yeah.... I've met Mickey Mouse and Chip and Dale.:shifty:

:roflhard:

Carrie218
09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
More than I can count... I worked in the "entertainment" industry whilst living in SoCal and met dozens and dozens of supposed-stars.

John Cleese
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
Placido Domingo
Kevin Kline
Mandy Patinkin
Essa Peka Salonen
Angela Lansbury
Christopher Lee
Mary-Louise Parker

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind... but there are a tons more.

BinkyKat
09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Peter Tork and Davey Jones of the Monkees :thumbsup: :heart::cheering:Got their autographs as they stayed at the same hotel I did in Mpls MN in 1987 the summer I was 18 and the were on their 25th reunion tour...I got to see them in concert but this was a total bonus! (that's a total run-on sentence...)
Oh, and I also had a 10 second eye contact "I recognize you" type of deal with Spencer Christian, the weather guy from GMA...he was in first class (of course I passed him on the way to "stearage" on the plane back home from my summer in AZ in 1988. He was coming to ND to do the weather from the Steam Thresher's annual Reunion doings.
ETA: I also dated a local weatherman right before I met dh...we are still friends altho I don't hear from him very often. He lives in FL now and I think is on a local cable station there...

PaperGirl
09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Hmmm...

Ive met...

Rick Allen from Def Leppard
Phil Collen from Def Leppard

Earl Campbell...(I made him a hamburger...)

Clint Eastwood bough my DH a hamburger once,

Ive met Kinky Freidman...(local Texas celebrity..)

And I live 15 minutes from George Bush's ranch in Crawford.

My friend lives near Sandra Bullocks house in Austin.

jjminarcik
09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
You know, DH and I were actually talking about this the other night. I have never met anyone famous.:pout: But next week I'm going to a Yarn Harlot book signing, so ask me again next week.

Wait! I'm sitting here thinking about it and I do KNOW some famous people. Remember the news story about the Runaway Bride from Georgia? I know her; used to go out with her brother. And Kristi from season 3 of The Apprentice? I went to high school and college with her.

DH is a pilot and he has brushed arms with a few people: Dennis Rodman
Pauly Shore
Adam & Jamie from Mythbusters (:heart: them)

Braden
09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, at the Independance Bowl one year, I bumped right into Archie Manning and had a brief conversation.

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
No one that anyone in the States would know.. :(

But I've met a few Aussie stage actors, a couple of singers, and quite a few of their upper echalant of Jazz musos...

Debbie
09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
ummmmm.... PaperGirl .... are you my sway partner ??????????????????

blueeyes28
09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I met Tim Mcgraw the country music singer,I was 8 months pregnant and had a backstage pass at his concert right before I met him I had to run to the bathroom and throw up and when he shook my hand he told me not to be nervous.Oh yeah I also started having small contractions and the roadies picked me up and sat me on a big speaker case for a minute.

Jeremy
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I was Arthur Ashe's nurse. Friends of mine did private duty for Kathryn Hepburn.

kellyh57
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I was at a college conference in New Orleans and met Dham Delouis (sp???) I got his autograph but no picture :(

Then, we were shopping in the gift shoppe and Burt Reynolds walked in! We did get pictures with him (and an autograph!) He was COVERED with make-up :ick:.

Then, another time, we were headed down the elevator and it got stuck. Basically, if the elevator got a bunch of calls, it just got stuck and stopped until it figured out which way to go. Anyway, there were these two guys in there and one of them was saying something about how people like him shouldn't be subjected to this kind of treatment (jokingly!). One of the guys with us said he couldn't place him, although he knew he looked familiar. Apparently, he was the sheriff on Murder She Wrote. Didn't get anything though since we were all so embarrassed about not knowing him. He claimed we must've been JAG watchers....uh, no we were college kids and he was on an "old people" show that was on Friday nights!

Kelly

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
So, what have y'all thought about these people you've met? Were any of them down-to-earth?

Oh, I almost forgot...

We were in Atlanta last weekend for a soccer tournament. The coaches took the girls to Cheesecake Factory for dinner one night (in a limo, no less!). The girls saw Ludacrus at the restaurant. They weren't allowed to take pictures though.

newamy
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
When I lived in Portland, OR I met or saw several locally famous celebrities from the local TV station.
When I was a kid I knew a couple of the Portland Trailblazer basket ball players: Larry Steele, Dave Twardzik, and met Bill Walton once- this was back in the late 70's early 80's.
But I have also met Melissa Gilbert and got her autograph.
And I have been to a reading with author Clive Barker-my husband got his autograph.
Met and got a book signed by the author Starhawk.
And I have met Ann Shayne and Kay Gardiner of Mason-Dixon Knitting. They autographed my book!

momwolf
09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
One of my best friends brother is Phil from the Rembrandt's that wrote and and sing the Friends TV show theme.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_2.gif

Ingrid
09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Mary Tyler Moore was once in our local supermarket.

Jeremy
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I forgot to mention that I met and got autographs from Isaac Bashevis Singer the year he got the Nobel Prize for Literature. I have to be vigilant against my wife tossing them in with all of the other paperbacks (I was a poor college student and couldn't afford the hardcover) Once he won the prize, the university couldn't afford him anymore:)

Arthur Ashe was one of the nicest people I've ever met. (His wife was gorgeous :inlove:) He was a big Broadway fan and we talked alot about that. IBS was a little old man that reminded me of a dwarf in a fairy tale.

Julie
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I worked in the music dept. in college, and I got to meet a few famous people who most have never heard of. :teehee: Most notably I got to meet Dave Brubeck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck) (I was going to give him a ride to his hotel after a performance but his manager didn't think my VW Beetle was satisfactory :roflhard: so I gave the bass player a ride instead.) and I also got to drive Dominick Argento (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Argento) to the Civic Opera House. :) Both of them were so nice and down-to-earth.

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Met Art Linkletter in the airport.
Met Kenan Wynne (now deceased)

the highlight is way beyond the best!!

Have you seen the DVD The Secret? Read the book? thru a business we were in we met and consider Bob Proctor a friend, we've attended his seminars; he's an awesome teacher of the Secret's principles.. He walks the talk!!!

momwolf
09-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Ingrid said Mary Tyler Moore was once in our local supermarket.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif

SabrinaJL
09-09-2007, 10:13 PM
When I was a teenager we met Skid Row at the mall. We were thrilled.

I walked right by Quentin Tarantino at the Comic-Con. He was walking towards me and I was trying to figure out where I knew him from. I must have had a puzzled look on my face because he nodded at me. Then someone yelled "Hey Quentin!" and he waved at them and that's when it clicked.

While we were there we also met people from Angel and Buffy, some wrestlers, Elvira, Lou Ferigno and a couple other people I can't think of right now.

My husband on the other hand has met LOTS of famous people. Kid Rock, Pamela Anderson, Jay Leno, Tom Brokaw, Leann Rimes, Jenna Jameson, Tim Allen (he met him in a bar in Cabo San Lucas) and I don't even know who else.

Ingrid
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Ingrid said http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif

Why do you find that so funny? :teehee: My kids didn't believe I saw her. She lives not too far away.

:psst: She had no makeup on and looked awful. And that was 20 years ago.

JessicaR
09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Just this spring Ty Pennington walked right in front of me at Target where I worked at the time. I went nuts! I knew they were filming an Extreme Home Makeover in the area but had missed him all the other times. I'm such a retard around famous people.

stagebear
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
i've directly worked with

the four aces
kaye ballard
leonardo (the cute little italian plate spinner from "the ed sullivan show")
buddy greco
trina parks (thumper from "diamonds are forever")
kit smythe (the original ginger from the pilot of "gilligan's island")
**** williams (of the williams brothers)
johnny harris (musical director and producer for various artists and theme songs)
and several others.i also met tony kuschner last year.

dagny
09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Ingrid, I met Valerie Harper in college, she was filming a movie on campus. MTM was in it too but I didn't get to see her. I met Valerie in the elevator of my dorm!

misha rf
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Visiting/living in NYC, I've seen various celebs around (David Spade and Danny Aeillo come to mind, and I think I almost walked into Spike Lee one day. Wolf Blitzer once almost knocked me off the sidewalk--he was in a hurry).

I also used to canvass for Greenpeace, and that way met Bernie Seigel (Love, Medicine & Miracles) and Hume Cronin (he was SUPER nice, and I believe Susan Cooper was visiting at the time--I didn't know her then. Jessica Tandy was still alive then, but in the house). But my favorite encounter was Cyndi Lauper. Bless her heart, she was on the phone (2 calls at the same time, trying to set stuff up for a tour), and she let me ramble for about 5 minutes on saving something or other. (She said she gave from her other home. Like I cared about getting a donation at that point! I was trying not to sound like a blithering idiot!)

I also got to meet Wynonna Judd. She did a benefit for an organization I used to work for. She was incredibly nice.

Hmm...in more "mundane" sightings...once flew on a flight from NYC to Cincinnati with Donald Trump (right after his divorce from Ivanna--we joked that she must have taken him to the cleaners). And saw Andie MacDowell at the local World Market a few weeks after moving to NC.

kellyh57
09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh yeah, I talked on the phone to Larry the Cable Guy once. I used to work at a radio station and he did a bit with the drive-home guy. (They knew each other way back...) Anyway, i was filling in so the normal board op could leave early and he told me that Larry would be calling in. I got super excited, even though he wasn't very big yet. Anyway, he called in using his normal voice and real name and I put him on the caller list. Next thing I know, Chris takes the call and it's Larry! I was so mad that I talked to him and got all his info and it was Larry the Cable Guy and I didn't know it!

Kelly

debinoz
09-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I've shaken hands with John Travolta (when he played in Welcome Back, Kotter) Burt Ward (Robin from the Batman TV show) Bowser and Spider from Sha Na Na and, of course, my step-son. (Played in "Down to you" "Men of Honor" and is now writing, directing and starring in his own fan flicks. His latest was "Superman: Luthor for President")

letah75
09-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Kevin Smith :aww: but you know that....

Janet Jackson came to my elementary school and I have her first song ever released (yes on a record) signed by her. Never taken it out of the sleeve.

Madeline L'engle perhaps not famous but a writer.

Margret Cho, met her last year at the National Burlesque championship in Vegas. She was the MC.

Robin Williams in San Francisco at the Exploritorium. He's short and hairy but really nice.

I know there are others, but I'm tired, in a hotel, had a LONG emotional day and cant think.

AussieYank
09-10-2007, 01:26 AM
No one that anyone in the States would know.. :(

But I've met a few Aussie stage actors, a couple of singers, and quite a few of their upper echalant of Jazz musos...

I want to know who misstialouise met!

My DH and I saw Don King getting off the long delayed airplane we were waiting for.

AnnaT
09-10-2007, 01:44 AM
This is a funny thread!

I met Minnie Pearl once. What can I say? I'm from Tennessee. :mrgreen:

blueeyes28
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
I would love to meet John Travolta:inlove::inlove:

Silver
09-10-2007, 07:19 AM
I met John Stamos... long, long time ago during his Full House days. It was at a local car show and he was doing a celebrity appearance. I stood in line for hours just to shake his hand. I think I was about 15 years old.

I've also met Rob Lowe. My uncle used to be a cop and Rob was filming a movie in St. Augustine Florida. My uncle was hired as one of his body guards.

And Lyndyrd Skynyrd. The Van Zants grew up right near here (across the street from my dad, who used to play with them when they were kids). But it was a celebrity appearance that I met them at... well the ones still living anyway. Again, stood in line to meet them and had them autograph 2 CDs and my husbands Fender bass guitar. When I mentioned I was Ronnie Kirn's daughter, they remembered and started asking about him!

I have Trent Reznor's (NIN) and Brad Pitts' signatures... but I didn't meet them personally. :verysad:

BostonBecca
09-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Alec Baldwin hit on me in Venice, Italy. All my friends insist he was hitting on me, I think he was just being nice because I looked like I was lost. I didn't realize who he was until I was down the street. He was wearing a white dinner jacket.

We eat at the same restaurant as Michael J. Fox sometimes.

I met a few of the Red Sox a few years ago because they came to a bar we were at.

I used to play with Clyde Drexler's kids growing up. He was nice and very tall. I was just a little kid then.

One of my last roommates is a local celebrity, she is a reporter for the Boston Globe who is on NESN a fair bit because she covers the Sox and the Pats-Amalie Benjamin.

I probably have the opposite reaction as most people when I see celebrities out and about. I tend to ignore them if they aren't already talking to fans or unless they approach me first if they are out with their family or just doing normal things-like running errands. If I ran into Kevin Smith however, I might have to break that and just tell him how much I love his movies.

PurlyGyrl
09-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, geez! :pout: Living in the middle of nowhere, not a lot of famous people come my way. :verysad:I did meet Tim Irwin--he played football for the University of Tennessee and the Minnesota Vikings--but it was long after his playing days. He is now an attorney and was in our local court and needed a document. I prepared it for him. :sleepy: Can you stand the excitement????? :roll:

Chel
09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a friend who has been performing with Bret Michaels from Poison, but I haven't gotten to meet Bret yet. Notice the "yet".

I used to be friends with Jon Rechner who wrestles under the name Balls Mahoney. But I haven't talked to him in years.

Same with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. When Skid Row broke up AOL was just getting started and was the ONLY well known internet provider, so lots of bands had message boards on there and actually posted. I got mad about the way Sebastian was being talked about so I hauled off and let Rachel Bolan have it. I told him the band was lucky the Sebastian allowed them to ride on his coat tails and that no one would have ever known his name if it hadn't come behind Baz's name on the band line up. Sebastian e-mailed me back and thanked me. I saw the AOL screen name and IMed it back and we had a 20 minute conversation. Then we proceeded to have many more over the next 2 years. He invited me to several shows and work always interveined and I couldn't go. So finally Dec 3, 1999 I was able to make it to a show. I was in the front row and while singing Youth Gone Wild I got to sing with him. After the show I waited to get his autograph and when I got up there I said, "You may not remember me but we used to talk online." He asked waht my screen name was and when I said it was ANGEL1471 he blurted out "MICHELLE!!!!" then he leaned over the counter and hugged me and we proceeded to talk for about 5 minutes. It was just awesome.

I have it said that he is a primadonna and he was nicknamed "Sabitchin" by some writer but I have to say, he was never anything but absolutely wonderful to me.

I also know the guys from team Lloyd Irvin, which is a decent sized name in the world of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They practice across the hall from me. *drool*

Oh, and I have a friend who is a small time (hopefully soon to be big time) director. :)

Kaydee
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I've never actually met anyone famous but I've seen a few. I saw Nomar Garciaparra (back in his Red Sox days) in a restaurant I was at in Boston. I was also in a elevator with Rosie Perez in a Boston hotel. And I saw French Stewart (the squinty guy from Third Rock from the Sun) in Lake Tahoe.

Oh, and I'm about 99% sure I saw Ben Affleck running in Boston, he does have a home here.

Arielluria
09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Hmmm...I met Vern (from Trading Spaces) once.

DH once not only met, but DISCO-ed on the dance floor next to Bob Hope (Hope was doing a benefit to raise money at Stephen F. Austin University)! And of course DH got his autograph.

Also DH got Prez. Bush Sr's autograph for me...(I had just become a citizen, what can I say, we were both feeling pretty patriotic at the time!:roflhard:). DH & Bush were in the same restaurant in Houston. Funny story: DH was with co-workers at that restaurant and was the only one with the guts to go up to the ex-Prez...DH is a large guy (6' 3" and about 250 lbs. with a beard).........though a newspaper once described him as "unthreateningly bearish" he could sense all the secret service guys going on alert as he approached Bush. LOL. Wish I had been there.

JGM
09-10-2007, 10:07 AM
More than I can count... I worked in the "entertainment" industry whilst living in SoCal and met dozens and dozens of supposed-stars.

John Cleese
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
Placido Domingo
Kevin Kline
Mandy Patinkin
Essa Peka Salonen
Angela Lansbury
Christopher Lee
Mary-Louise Parker

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind... but there are a tons more.

I :heart: Mary-Louise Parker

Luvmyrottnboy
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Mick Jagger was literally 2 feet away from me shopping at a Capezio store in NYC.

I went to dancing school with Eddie Mekka.

David Frost was sitting at the next table at some restaurant in NYC.

I saw Elizabeth taylor and Tommy Tune at the airport.

Hilary Clinton attended the same performance of "Kiss of the Spider Woman" in NYC years ago...the secret service nearly mowed me down.

When I worked for Hertz Rent A Car I rented cars to: Loretta Swit, Gene Rayburn, Martin Mull

That's all I can think of just now

msmelody
09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I used to be a flight attendant. I have met:

Shaq Oneil (killed his name, I know)
Magic Johnson
Don Johnson
Elizabeth Taylor
Michael Jackson

and many more that I cannot think of right now.

msoebel
09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Only Robert Redford. Brief meeting on the street in downtown Dallas. Just smiled and said hi. He smiled back.

I did sit in traffic next to Noah Wylie (from ER) once. He had a convertible Porshe with the license plate "DR".

It was very cool. Until he started shooting me dirty looks because we were staring so much (I wasn't alone...I was driving a 15 passenger van with 12 teenagers in it, all pointing at him).

Misty

JGM
09-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Red Wings I met while working at the Red Wings merch store:
Chris Chelios
Curtis Joseph
Pavel Datsyuk
Dino Ciccarelli
Mathieu Schneider
Jiri Fischer

People I interviewed as part of an internship with the Pistons:
Kevin Jones (Lions)
Kevin Johnson (Lions)
Dre Bly (Lions)
Michael Phelps
Troy Gentry
Tommy Hearns
Steve Mariucci
Tom Izzo

I also work for the Pistons now, so I've also interviewed a lot of the players, but that doesn't really count.

I saw Stacy London and Clinton Kelly of What Not to Wear in Miami Airport, but they just walked by me, I didn't talk to them.

Probably my best celebrity meeting would be Henry Rollins (http://21361.com). We waited in line to meet him after one of his spoken word shows in Ann Arbor. It was really cold, but I got his autograph and shook his hand. He was really nice, and also really short!

I'm always at a loss of what to say when I do run into a celeb, so I generally tend to "admire from afar".

Mariblue
09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I met the band Ugly Kid Joe. Does anyone remember them? They did quite well in the UK, but were from California. They were really nice. I had a summer internship in the US Embassy in London, in the Immigration and Naturalization Dept., and they needed some paperwork. I just treated them like they were regular people, which I think they appreciated. Plus, it's not like I was a huge fan, because I was more into classical music, and they were a heavy metal rock band. :teehee:

feministmama
09-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I met Ian MacKaye http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_MacKaye once in Knoxville TN. I was living in Atlanta and we were following Fugazzi on thier southern leg of a tour (some of my friends went all the way to NewOreleans!) When we got to Knoxville, we got the last 3 tickets but we needed 3 more. So we were hanging around the venue to see if anyone was scalping tickets and Ian and the rest of Fugazzi showed up for a sound check. He started talking to me and he asked if we needed tickets and I said yes and he got a manager and put my name and two others at the top of the guest list! He was so nice. It was soo cool he took the time to talk to me.

Also met Ric Ocasic (sp?) lead singer for the Cars at a bar in the Chesnut Hill Legals sea food. He is soooooo tall. He was nice thouogh.

I met Susan from Sesame street when I was 10. She gave me her autograph and hugged me.

RuPaul used to come intot he movie theater where I worked. He would come in as a man, go into the bathroom and come as a fabulously beautiful woman. I went to art college then and there was this guy who would make movies with RuPaul a la John Waters. He was kinda like Devine. So we used to go to the open nights of all his movies. One night we went out dancing and we were all drunk except him so he took a few us home to pass out so we would be safe. And made pancakes for us in the morning! He came t our graduation wearing a huge chandalier on his head. I don't think he'd remember me if I saw him again. I was just part of the crowd. But he super nice when I would talk to him.

misha rf
09-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm lovin' this thread! :rofl:

I :heart: Henry Rollins.

A few more that I've remembered:

Flew from DC to NYC on the same flight as Al Sharpton. He sat in first class. His "person" sat next to me in economy. He was a big guy--I felt bad that he was stuffed in a tiny seat.

Met Bill Clinton. He went to Harvard with a (now former) employer & came by one afternoon. He was *very* nice.

In college, I worked at a hotel in downtown New Haven. Several tennis players stayed there for one of the tournaments (it's changed names so many times--I have no idea what it's called now). And some of the bands that played at Toad's Place stayed there. Marc Cohen ("Walkin' in Memphis") was incredibly nice, and one of the Black Crowes tried to get me to give him my vest (I said no).

misha rf
09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I met Susan from Sesame street when I was 10. She gave me her autograph and hugged me.

RuPaul used to come intot he movie theater where I worked. He would come in as a man, go into the bathroom and come as a fabulously beautiful woman. I went to art college then and there was this guy who would make movies with RuPaul a la John Waters. He was kinda like Devine. So we used to go to the open nights of all his movies. One night we went out dancing and we were all drunk except him so he took a few us home to pass out so we would be safe. And made pancakes for us in the morning! He came t our graduation wearing a huge chandalier on his head. I don't think he'd remember me if I saw him again. I was just part of the crowd. But he super nice when I would talk to him.

That is so cool!! :)

Arielluria
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Forgot I also met Elvin Hayes (Houston Rockets basketball player from the '70's), he was nice. Vern was soooooooo nice and patient and talked with ALL his fans, I was the last one! I'd post a picture but I look awful! LOL!

SabrinaJL
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I :heart: Henry Rollins.

Me too and I'm positively green with envy. He was at the Comic-Con this year and I didn't get to go. :sad:

Mulderknitter
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
When I was 4 my parents drove us from Michigan to California for Disney world. On the way back we stopped at a rest stop and I left my dolly there. We turned around and when we got back Willie Nelson had it and personally gave it back to me! Willie Nelson saved my dolly!

Arielluria
09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
That is SUCH a cool story!!!!!!! I hope you kept the dolly.

Riss
09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I used to do gymnastics with Ray Bourque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bourque)'s daughter, and went ice skating with them at a local rink..

I've bumped in to the brothers (Barry and Elliot) from Jordan's Furniture too... :)

zkimom
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I belonged to a health club that had previously been a co-ed club. A woman bought the club and turned it into a Ladies only gym. That didn't seem to bother Harvey Fierstein.

I'd be on the treadmill and he'd come in and get on his treadmill, put on The Price is Right and make all of us play along while we worked out. He was such a panic -- he'd be talking to the tv the whole and making jokes the whole time.

I love his voice -- it's so gravelly.

Mulderknitter
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
That is SUCH a cool story!!!!!!! I hope you kept the dolly.
I wish I had, but I don't even remeber willie nelson so much.I only remember that all of my crayons melted in Nevada. :pout:

cheesiesmom
09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
My family and I chatted with Della Reese about the long wait at the Firecracker Factory at WDW. My DH and I sat at the next table from Don Ameche (Cocoon) after a performance of No No Nanette. Also, we had lunch at an out door cafe in Kennebunkport and chatted with George Herbert Walker Bush (Babs had gone to the powder room). He was the ex-prez at that time. But in '92 we took our then 3rd grade DD to a rally for Bill Clinton. She wanted his autograph and the Secret Service practically tackled her to the ground because she had a pen in her hand. As if a 7 year old was a danger. Bill was very gracious and frankly, very good looking. (I know, he's not very popular.)

AND, I know my Daughter, Liz. She's currently anchoring/reporting at the NBC affiliate in Yuma AZ and she's definitely going to be more famous than Katie what'shername.

scout52
09-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I met the guy that plays Tad on all my children when I used to live in NY during the Italian Fair in Little Italy.

I met Keanu Reeves in Baltimore at a restuarant when it was only my party and his party eating. he's GORGEOUS!!! and SOOO NICE!!!! He saw that we recognized him saw came over and talked to us, and we had a little girl with us, who told him his hair was so pretty and that she wanted to touch it, so he picked her up and let her!! he told us to wait because Gene Hackman was coming if we wanted to meet him. They were in town, filming the Replacements.

I know Marisa from Apprentice 3.

I met Stacy and Clinton because the made over a coworker. They are so pretty in person. Stacy's hair is SOO SHINY!!

I know Joey from the Contender. He was my study partner in school, he's was a very sweet guy. I was so sad he lost.

I met Mark Walhberg when he still was in the funky bunch. very nice guy and down to earth.

I met football player Leslie o'neil. he actually asked me out. though he is too old for me.

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 02:43 AM
The only actor I ever met was Marc Singer (of the "Beastmaster" movies) I was an extra in one of his movies being filmed in Charlotte. I used to have a photo of us standing with our arms around each other, but it was in a purse that was stolen from me years ago. :pout:

I've met lots of NASCAR people, because I used to teach private piano lessons at a school where a lot of their kids went. I met Ricky Rudd, John Andretti, Ricky Craven, Jeff Burton, and Teresa Earnhardt. When I was a little girl, I met Cale Yarbrough.

I also met several contemporary Christian musicians when I was the organist for a very large church. (10,000 members) But, you all probably would not recognize their names.

I used to work with Michael Jordan's sister....I think. I never actually believed that she was his sister. :teehee:

BostonBecca
09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
I thought Bill Clinton was very popular still. Maybe it is being here in Massachusetts? Don't want to turn this into a political debate thread, but I like him.

I also met Senators John Kerry and Kennedy.

nonny2t
09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, I have this thing about celebrities. I kind of have this, "they put their pants on the same way as I" attitude so I have never been enamored of them, except one person, Lucille Ball, who I wished I could have met before she passed. I don't care who or how famous they are, I don't approach them. I know, they wouldn't be famous if people didn't want autographs and such, but that is the way I am.

Anyway, you would think with as many times as Jack and I have been to Vegas we would have seen some, but nary a one. We did see Wayne Rogers sitting in our boarding area the first time we went to Vegas. He was flying to Palm Beach though.

I grew up in South Bend, Indiana and we lived there for 12 years after Jack retired from the Navy. I was picking him up from a business trip at the airport once and the big mouth **** Vitale was in the airport as I think his dd went to Notre Dame. He was being "Dicky" that was for sure, holding court so to speak.

Jack sat next to Timothy Busfield when he was on a business trip once. He said he was really nice to talk to even though Jack recognized him but didn't watch the drama series he had been in (can't remember the dang name of it)

Oh, I worked at a law firm in Indiana and was at lunch and the kid who played Screech on "Saved by the Bell" was in the same restaurant having lunch with I imagine his girlfriend. Why he was in South Bend is anybody's guess.

I guess the best celebrity story is this one. Jack was stationed aboard the USS Kennedy, an aircraft carrier, in the 80's. It was the one and only cruise he had to go on in 20 years where he would be gone for Christmas. My children were 6 and 10 at that time, I believe. Wayne Newton performed for the guys on the ship that year and really went above and beyond. You have to understand there are over 5000 men on a ship that size, but he told the men that if they were married and would give their wive's names and phone numbers to his assistants, he would call them for Christmas when he got back to the states. He DID! He is a really kind and sweet man and I cannot ever say enough kind things about him.

auburnchick
09-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I also met several contemporary Christian musicians when I was the organist for a very large church. (10,000 members) But, you all probably would not recognize their names.

Do share! I'll bet there are more of us than you think who would recognize the names.

I would love to meet Chris Rice. He is such a wonderful musician and writer. His songs are very powerful.

JGM
09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I remembered a few more...

Jack White (of the White Stripes) was right next to us at the Magic Stick (really small club in Detroit) at a local band's show that he is friends with. The people in front of us got his autograph, but I was too shy to ask, plus I always feel like I shouldn't bug celebs, enough people do already.

I also waited in line after a festival performance to get Steve Poltz's (most famous for being Jewel's BF) autograph. When I got to the front of the line, he leaned in, took a big whiff and said, "You smell nice." :shrug: He was funny.

syndactylus
09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
The most amusing: Once upon a time I worked at the Strand in NYC and Michael Jackson came in to look at the first editions, etc. Through the side door with his bodyguard, wearing the mask. The floor manager, a 6 foot tall supermodel type who was friends with the Cramps and looked like a lost member of the band looks over, and says loud enough for everyone in the front half of the store to hear, "Who does that freak think he is? MJ?"
(Chirping.)

DQ
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
The only one I can think of that you might know in America is Terry Pratchett :mrgreen:

For any Brits reading this thread - I went to school and had a class or two with Kieran Richardson (Manchester United footballer, or was last time I checked anyway), and my stepdad is friends with Fred Talbot (Fred the Weatherman).

rebecca
09-11-2007, 10:15 AM
What an interesting thread!! We catch "glimpses" of stars when in town shooting movies. Although my daughter did meet and chat with Julia Roberts when they were filming "Something to Talk About." And, we have a few celebrities with properites around town and @ the beach. I met Diana Scarwid, the daughter in "Mommie Dearest" she actually lives here, Lonnie went to school with her. I've met a couple of Contemporary Christian singers, too...Mylon LeFevre and Steven Curtis Chapman when he was 1st starting out.
My daughter met and began chatting with Bruce Vilanch because he's big friend's with Bette Midler online when in late middle school or early high school and I had to step in and verify it was him..it was....and he actually ended up giving us tickets to a Bette Midler show in Atlanta so Shan could go back stage and meet Miss M, herself. And we met both Bruce and Bette and she was so very nice...she shewed several people away and out of her dressing room (one being Toni Basil of "Hey Mickey" fame in the '80s) so that she could chat with us, especially Shannon (who loomed over her, Bette is tiny) for quite a long time. It was very, very cool. Extremely nice of both Bruce and The Great Miss M. And then I saw and chatted with Bruce Vilanch again one day when I saw him in town.
Lonnie's (manages the warehouses for local large music stores) sees and chats with famous musicians all the time when they come in to get equipment and/or instruments when in town.
I think that does it with me...Shannon has met others, she has been on the set when filming "Now and Then" in town because a friend was an extra. Oh, and J-Lo is known to be seen in the local Best Buy now and again, she has a home here, too.

kemp
09-11-2007, 10:33 AM
This thread is too funny. My brushes with celebrity have been very limited! We saw Alison Sweeney (DOOL) in Scottsdale going into the Ocean Club and I met "boston" Rob at the Tontine casting. I must not get out enough :teehee:

beckyrhae
09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I've had a few odd brushes. I met Howard Jones when he was playing a concert at Six Flags over Texas. He was inline in front of my cousin and I for the Texas Cliffhanger. His wife was with him, I believe her name was Jan and she was pregnant and couldnt ride the ride, so he asked my cousin and I if we would ride with him. (It was a 4 person ride) We joyfully accepted and he screamed so loud! Well We all did. Heh. He asked if we were coming to the concert and we said no, we didn't actually know about it until we arrived at the park, so he asked if we WANTED to go and we got really excited and he got us tickets. It was the coolest night.

My mom and step dad were in Aspen once, at the time my mom didn't ski, so she spent her time outside the lodge in the hot tub drinking wine and reading her book. She was joined one day by Goldie Hawn, but my mom didn't recognize her right away . They spent several hours drinking cocktails and talking about their skiing husbands. When my step dad joined them, she asked them to meet her and Kurt for DINNER!! My mom is so lucky. They had a great evening.

kemp
09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Those are two great stories Becky! I always thought it would be cool to hang out with Kurt and Goldie...they seem like a fun couple.

Sanibelle
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
When I was in HS (MANY years ago) I did an internship in Manhattan for an ad agency. One day I got in the elevator and there was this really tall man in the elevator - he was REALLY tall. When he got out of the elevator the other people left in the elevator told me it was Wilt Chamberlain. Oh and the actress that plays Erica Kane on All My Children was in the elevator with me too a couple of times.

I met Chris Collinsworth when he first got drafted by the Bengals. He bought a house from the builder I worked for at the time.

I used to work for a mortgage company that sold a lot of their loans to 5/3 Bank in CIncinnati. Johnny Bench was their spokeperson. When he retired, 5/3 had a huge party for him I was invited and I got to meet him, take a picture with him and he signed a baseball for me.

I won a trip from work to Palm Springs the week of the Dessert Classic. There were so many famous people out there that week - every time we went somewhere we saw someone we recognized including Bob Hope and Sylvester Stallone. We were at lunch one afternoon and Micky Rooney was at the table next to us. We asked the waitress to ask him if we could come over and get his autograph. He came over and sat with us for over 1/2 hour telling great stories. We all got his autograph and pics with him. We was the nicest guy.

A couple of weeks ago I was in the city in Rockefeller Center and Alec Baldwin was standing there - I went over and said hi!

Kaydee
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I met Henry Winkler at a pizza place in New Haven, CT two years ago. We were waiting in a really long line to get seated in he walks in and starts talking to us about how long the line is. Then he goes right in and gets seated of course. We got seated near him and kept talking about The Fonzie the whole time.

Mulderknitter
09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I forgot, I used to work in an italian lunch deli, and the guy from mash came in. I can't remember his name... but he really was a jerk to everyone that tried to say hi. i do remember that much!

Shandeh
09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Do share! I'll bet there are more of us than you think who would recognize the names.

I would love to meet Chris Rice. He is such a wonderful musician and writer. His songs are very powerful.

Well, I met Mylon Lefevre and Broken Heart. I was one of the counselors at one of their concerts, and went backstage to pray with them. It was cool.

I also met Larnelle Harris. He came to do a concert at our church, and sat right beside me when the pastor was talking. I was moved to tears just sitting beside him, and he reached out and held my hand. :heart:

I met Sandi Patti, Twila Paris, Joni Eareckson Tada, Lulu (from Hee Haw), Tammy Fae Bakker, all the guys from 4Him, DeGarmo and Key (got an album signed by both of them), Josh McDowell, Steve Green, Steve Camp, and some others I can't remember right now.

auburnchick
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
This thread is too funny. My brushes with celebrity have been very limited! We saw Alison Sweeney (DOOL) in Scottsdale going into the Ocean Club and I met "boston" Rob at the Tontine casting. I must not get out enough :teehee:

I think that is way cool! I watched Days for years and year. I always liked evil Sam!!!

And Rob...what a competitor!

BostonBecca
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I forgot about Goldie Hawn. She was filming Houseguest in my hometown, and they were using our street for one of the scenes were she walks down the street looking for the right address. Well, apparently our backyard has the best cell phone reception on the street, because she knocked on our front door to ask me if she could use our backyard to make a call. She was very nice. If I had been more than ten I would have offered her a cocktail.

JGM
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I forgot about Goldie Hawn. She was filming Houseguest in my hometown, and they were using our street for one of the scenes were she walks down the street looking for the right address. Well, apparently our backyard has the best cell phone reception on the street, because she knocked on our front door to ask me if she could use our backyard to make a call. She was very nice. If I had been more than ten I would have offered her a cocktail.

Haha, how big was her cell phone? :teehee:

Quiltlady
09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Okay, I admit it happened over 30 yrs. ago but I'll never forget it.

I had just been to a Barry Manilow concert. I STILL love how he sings to this day and yes I just ordered his brand new cd of "songs of the 70's" that comes out this month..:woohoo:okay back to my story.

After the concert my friend and I went to a restaurant and on our way out I noticed a limo pulling up to the door. I stopped and there was Barry Manilow stepping out of the limo and I said to him "Barry you were wonderful". He smiled and said "Thank you".

I was thrilled!!:woot:

Now if I could only have a VERY "close encounter" with my favorite actor :heart:Gerard Butler:heart: I'd be in HEAVEN.

misha rf
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I had such a crush on Barry Manilow when I was about 9.

Still like him, too.:mrgreen:

Mulderknitter
09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
I forgot another one. About 2 years ago my favorite author came to St paul for a reading, Joyce Carol Oates. I have LOVED her since high school, and collect her first editions and signed books. Needless to say I was a bit nervous. so I sat through the reading with my DH, went up to have my book signed, and the most brilliant thing that came to mind was "I couldn't decide what book to bring":zombie: I felt like such a dork in front of such a huge literary genius. She said "you have a lot of my books" i said "yea, I collect them" I must have sounded like a stalker. But I have a personally signed book :blooby:

misha rf
09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I feel the same way at book signings. I've gotten to go to a few library-related conferences/events. I've now seen Chris Crutcher three times (:heart::heart::heart:...my husband worries whenever it involves Crutcher or Gaiman). Jane Yolen, Terry Trueman, ME Kerr...I'm slowly building my "autographed" collection.

I actually joked a bit with Crutcher the first time. I told him that I was glad that my husband let me attend. He laughed & said he was glad, too. He's such a sweet man! (Turning off the gush now... :rofl:)

Rorshach
09-12-2007, 02:36 AM
I've met Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton, while they were working on Dante's Peak in Northern idaho. and I've bumped into Demi Moore and Bruce Willis while they were shopping at Boise's Towne square mall. Both used to live in Sun Valley. And my Dad sold a car to William A Anderson, the author who wrote BAT21.

Just remembered that I had also talked to Elizabeth Shue while I was working at Dell, and I've met Michael Dell as well while he was touring the site at Twin Falls. heh, I was sitting on my desk at the time, and he had asked me why I was sitting on top of my desk. To which I replied, "Because the floor wasn't comfortable enough."

creativejesusfreak
09-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Hmm, i've met a few, though rather recently. I got autographs from most of the guys in Kutless and Disciple (christian rock bands) as well as Red and a couple from Run Kid Run (also christian rock). I couldn't get John Michael Sumrall's autograph though :waah: Oh! i also got to be an extra in a movie with Tantoo Cardinal ( The Education of Little Tree, Dances with Wolves) and Adam Beach (WindTalkers):woohoo: I've met a few local singers and bands too, had a class last year in college with the lead singer of a band up here actually. I saw Scary Spice in the broadway run of Rent 4 years ago in New York. I think the guy that plays Mark in the movie adaptation was also in it. I think that's it for me.

Andrea
09-12-2007, 05:51 AM
I went to the police academy with and was very close friends/roommate with Sean Hayes' ("Jack" from Will and Grace) sister. We went to the 2000 Emmy's with him...walked down the red carpet and everything! He ended up winning the Emmy that year. Met Louie Anderson at the after party :rofl:

I have Audrey Hepburn's autograph as we were on the same cruise a long time ago.

I have Greg Maddux and Mitch Williams autographs after sitting at the same table with them at a Japanese restaurant in Las Vegas.

I met my favourite NASCAR driver, Ryan Newman, at a signing. We are both Purdue grads.

Also met Jodi Picoult (author) at a book reading/signing for 19 Seconds. My coworker and I told her we'd love to tell her about the "insides" of a police department! :teehee:

debinoz
09-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I didn't, but DD talked to Dave Navarro of Red Hot Chili Peppers/Jane's Addiction.(One of her best friends cousin) She said she was so embarrassed because every time he asked her a question her voice wouldn't work so she squeeked all her answers.

kbagel
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I didn't see this post until after I posted something few people know about me. I'm going to be lazy and give the same answer I gave to that post.

When I was studying in Italy, I met the boys from the British band Athlete. We're still friends and whenever they come to New York, we go drinking at the bar across the street from the SoHo House. I've even refereed their games of pool because they weren't sure of the American rules.

I used to work in fashion and have met David Bowie, P. Diddy, Natalie Portman, and Claire Danes among some other people.

misstialouise
09-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I want to know who misstialouise met!

David Campbell & Brian Rooney are the two that come immediately to mind. There are others, but it's early here LOL.

I've also met Michael Buble!! (I can't beleive I forgot!) I actually have a photo of him using my mobile phone talking to my sister!! He's a really nice guy and so very friendly! We only asked for an autograph, and he kept talking to us as we walked from the Opera House into the city :D

I also met (just yesterday, actually) NICKY EPSTEIN!!!!! How cool is that??? She is in Australia (and soon to NZ) for a knitting tour with some Americans and her publishers and she asked to stop in to my LYS to do a little talk. She did book signings afterwards (I bought all 5 of her books :lol:) and told me how gorgeous she thought my 11mth old son was, and how good he'd been through her talk (he was very very well behaved :D). She was really lovely, and I'll be buying her future 3 books that she has coming out in the next 12 months.

Knitting_Guy
09-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I've met a few famous people over the years. Kenny Rogers in a hotel lobby, the entire cast of Who Line Is It Anyway? in an airport in Ontario, and Elvis served me a burger in Memphis a couple of weeks ago.

Shandeh
09-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Ha!

dagny
09-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Elvis served me a burger in Memphis a couple of weeks ago.

:rofl:

zkimom
09-16-2007, 06:12 PM
I also met (just yesterday, actually) NICKY EPSTEIN!!!!! How cool is that??? She is in Australia (and soon to NZ) for a knitting tour with some Americans and her publishers and she asked to stop in to my LYS to do a little talk. She did book signings afterwards (I bought all 5 of her books :lol:) and told me how gorgeous she thought my 11mth old son was, and how good he'd been through her talk (he was very very well behaved :D). She was really lovely, and I'll be buying her future 3 books that she has coming out in the next 12 months.

I think you get extra points for having met a KNITTING CELEB!

That is very cool!

Feef
09-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I met O.J. Simpson many times when he was in his heyday as a football player...long before he defined "slash 'n dash."

Eric Clapton at a blues festival in LA.

John Lennon at LAX when I was a kid; was running around with my girlfriend, and literally bumped into him. He patted my head, and my mom made me wash my hair anyway!!

Alec Baldwin in Montauk, NY during Hurricane Bertha. Was at a gas station to get the heck outta' dodge when he walked by and asked if I was okay in that weather.

Danny Trejo at a formal engagement.

James Caan: I met him through my ex-husband, who knew him but not all that well.

Dorothy Hamill and Dino Martin (Dean Martin's son) while at a Bee Gees concert :)
Andy Gibb at the same concert

kbagel
09-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Red Wings I met while working at the Red Wings merch store:
Chris Chelios
Curtis Joseph
Pavel Datsyuk
Dino Ciccarelli
Mathieu Schneider
Jiri Fischer

People I interviewed as part of an internship with the Pistons:
Kevin Jones (Lions)
Kevin Johnson (Lions)
Dre Bly (Lions)
Michael Phelps
Troy Gentry
Tommy Hearns
Steve Mariucci
Tom Izzo

I also work for the Pistons now, so I've also interviewed a lot of the players, but that doesn't really count.

I saw Stacy London and Clinton Kelly of What Not to Wear in Miami Airport, but they just walked by me, I didn't talk to them.

Probably my best celebrity meeting would be Henry Rollins (http://21361.com). We waited in line to meet him after one of his spoken word shows in Ann Arbor. It was really cold, but I got his autograph and shook his hand. He was really nice, and also really short!

I'm always at a loss of what to say when I do run into a celeb, so I generally tend to "admire from afar".

JGM - I grew up in Detroit and used to have the biggest crush on Dino Ciccerelli. Like huge! What girl didn't?! I guess I've moved on to Jiri Fischer now but sinceI don't live in Detroit any more, it's harder to follow all the sports. They're pretty NYC team centric in New York and it's hard to find other city's teams on air.

That's super cool you work for the Pistons. My little brother has an interview with the Shock coming up sometime soon.

JGM
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
JGM - I grew up in Detroit and used to have the biggest crush on Dino Ciccerelli. Like huge! What girl didn't?! I guess I've moved on to Jiri Fischer now but sinceI don't live in Detroit any more, it's harder to follow all the sports. They're pretty NYC team centric in New York and it's hard to find other city's teams on air.

That's super cool you work for the Pistons. My little brother has an interview with the Shock coming up sometime soon.

That's cool, good luck to him.

monkeymommy
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
This is slightly off topic but has anyone ever seen this? http://yscmama.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/20/lovepeace.jpg
It's sweaters inspired by John Lennon songs. Isn't it cool or what? http://yscmama.typepad.com/little_purl/2007/05/index.html
I wanted to show u the john lennon peace yarn i just picked up but can't find any pix for it, it's made by olympus... yea like the camera... whatever, I'll just post up the socks i knit with them when i done

KnittingNat
11-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I actually met Gerard Depardieu a week ago. I went to meet relatives who came to visit and he was staying in the same hotel. He's filming in Israel this month a movie about a Jewish couple from France who come to live in Israel. He was really nice and we had a nice chat (we were stuck outside the hotel because the security found left suspicious luggage and called the police and we waited for them to finish the check and let us in). I even have a VERY blurry picture from my cell phone:

cdjack
11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Let's see...
I met Shaq at a restaurant I was working at in Dallas. He's taller than he looks on TV. And I've met a bunch of the Dallas Mavericks.
My aunt's good friend since college is the grandmother on "Friday Night Lights".
My other aunt's cousin was on "Hee Haw".
I've met Reckless Kelly. They are my favorite band.
I met Bush 41 when I was 18. It means alot more than it did then.
Oh, and how could I forget, I met Geraldo when I was 12 and on a school trip to New York City. I used to have a picture...
And I would LOVE to meet Lance Berkman of the Houston Astros.
And they filmed "Reality Bites" in The Gap that I was working at in Houston.

drummerboi202
11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
My dad says I once met Jaleel White and the guy who plays Waldo (I cant remmber his name) at Universal Studios when I was little. I dont remember it. But it still counts, right? lol

kellyh57
11-14-2007, 02:38 PM
My dad says I once met Jaleel White and the guy who plays Waldo (I cant remmber his name) at Universal Studios when I was little. I dont remember it. But it still counts, right? lol

Ummm, I think it's Urkel, from Family Matters. I used to watch that show while babysitting Friday nights.

Kelly

HollyP
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Wow this is a really cool thread!
I met Vern Yip in Ikea. I loved trading space at that point and he was my favorite designer. He is so sweet! I was so excited to meet him I forgot to get an autograph.

I also met Jesse Jackson. I was waiting in line at an airport and he started shaking hands with everyone.

My brother bought a big screen TV from Allen Iverson off of ebay. He even helped him carry it out to his car.

My Mom taught at the high school the Vick brothers went to. She really liked both of them and was really surprisd when all the dog fighting stuff came out. My Mom also knows Phil Donahue, he is grew up across the street and was best friends with her older brothers.

SnarfyCat
11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
If I ran into Kevin Smith however, I might have to break that and just tell him how much I love his movies.

AMEN SISTER!!!

This probably doesn't count because I didn't actually _meet_ him, but when I went to a Chicago Cubs game (next year is our year!!) during the McGuire-Sosa home run year, I was with 9 of my guy buddies before the game started. I looked up in the Mez area et nudged one of the guys et said, "Hey, that looks like Scottie Pippen." He said it wasn't. But then about five minutes later we hear clapping from the next section over, et across the walkway comes Pippen. That was the best "I told you so" ever!!

alleusion
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I ran into the guy that was a detective on Law and Order, but recently died. I was at a convention in Vegas and we were checking into the hotel at the same time.

I also bumped into some of the members of O-Town...they were the boys that won the original "Making the Band" contest. We were at a minor league baseball game in Rancho Cuycamonga. One of the boys was from that town and they were preforming at the game.

knitncook
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I've met lots of "famous" people, but I'm not sure they count as "brushes" since I worked with them professionally. I've met Arthur Miller and several other playwrights thanks to the uni that I went to hosting playwrights during the summer. I've met quite a few authors from my editing work pre-kids. I used to work as a "handler" at a theater where all kinds of famous people would come with touring shows and musical acts. I've met Linda Rondstadt and Sally Fields and a whole bunch of people that I can't remember. My favorite person to meet actually was Dolly Parton. She is SO nice and accomodating. She was the least picky about what she wanted in her dressing room. Some of them are horrid. Certain brands of bottled water in certain sizes and organic foods and no roses (or no lilies or no flowers at all), and certain wattages of light bulbs and certain colors of throw rugs on the floor. I kid you not! But Dolly was very kind and charming. I was doing some last minute touches on her room and was humming (habit) when she came in and said I had a very pretty voice and joined in the song I was singing. She's always been someone I admired even when her music gets a tad too twangy for me. She's beautiful, kind and funny and even makes jokes about her own "accomplishments." :teehee:
Oh and I just remembered that the last time we were at Disney World we met Dan Castelanetta (sp? Home Simpson) That was pretty cool. We were staying at the same hotel.

inkaholic
11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I've met Cheyenne Kimball and Ryan Cabrera. I've also met several other musicians, like the lead singer of the Deftones, Cute is What We Aim For, and a couple guys from the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and some smaller bands. I met Tom Cruise when he filmed a movie near my hometown, and he visited the elementary school I graduated from :0. I've seen in person Lucy Liu and Bruce Willis. My sister dated a guy who was on a reality show. And one of my distant cousins is a famous author.

Doodknitwit
11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
My DS lives in San Fran... he works at a dog hotel and a few weeks ago Robin Williams pup was staying there .DS was asked to take Robin's dog home. He did met Robin, saw the house etc.... said R was very nice!!!
:woohoo:

usamacka
11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
About 4 years ago my daughter and I were going to London for a short holiday. Tickets were $99 one way from Phoenix as the war had just started. At the Pittsburgh airport, while waiting for our flight we saw Caroline Ray from Hollywood Squares. She was without make up, and wearing a long trench coat. We stood next to her and I said, we know who you are, but we won't make a scene. She said, Where are you going? We said London and she gave us some tips on shopping. While in London, Vanessa Redgrave walked by us on the street near Hyde Park. My daughter recognized her immediately and she was all excited! We had one more celebrity encounter on that trip...a pro football coach. I won't mention any names....but at the airport, a guy being shipped off to Iraq asked for his autograph and the DUFUS said I don't do autographs. I wanted to punch him.

Also met Pope John Paul II when he was in Phoenix for a visit in 1987. I happened to have the honor of cantoring for the Mass at the ASU stadium. After the mass he came up to me and spoke in Italian. I was glad I understood Italian!

letah75
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
So I just went on a trip to Mexico. When my mom and I were walking out of the airport to the shuttle, we were walking across the street with Charo.

Damn, I think I need to just hang out in airports that is were I see all the celebraties.