PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your yarn?

SabrinaJL
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I've been keeping my yarn in plastic rubbermaid containers but was thinking of moving it onto shelves. I was wondering if that's even a good idea. Should it not be out in the open? I mean, I know my acrylic yarn would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I should have wool out.

Quiltlady
09-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I keep some of mine in a nice armoire that is kept open. Then I have two hanging fabric shelving units hang in my craft room closet. I also have some woven baskets with other yarns in them. :woohoo:

mrslevite
09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I've been keeping my yarn in plastic rubbermaid containers but was thinking of moving it onto shelves. I was wondering if that's even a good idea. Should it not be out in the open? I mean, I know my acrylic yarn would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I should have wool out.I don't have a lot of yarn at the moment, but I'm thinking that the clear rubbermaid type containers on shelves would be a good way to go.

SusanMarie1956
09-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Sabrina,

I keep all of my yarn in Palstic ( Like Rubbermaid ) container's that I buy at JoAnn's Fabrics.

dagny
09-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I plan on keeping mine in hanging closet organizers which you can find at places like IKEA. Or willow baskets on shelves. I con't have a lot of room for plastic bins, we have a small place.

JamOKnit
09-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Mine is in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels that I can pull in and out of my spare closet. The drawers are clear so I can see what's in what drawer!

dustinac
09-10-2007, 08:40 AM
I have some in a 3 drawer cart chariot (that's the name on the front :teehee:)...the rest is on shelves in my closet....

knitncook
09-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I also use Rubbermaid containers. Big ones. I have a big stash (OK, I adopted a lot of it). However, if I want yarn that is A) still in it's skeins or balls B) not covered in cat hair and C) not used as cat toys (see A) then it HAS to be contained.

Altough lately it seems as though I am storing a lot of my yarn on needles :)

mrslevite
09-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Mine is in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels that I can pull in and out of my spare closet. The drawers are clear so I can see what's in what drawer!Oh, I have one of those for some of my scrapbooking supplies. Great idea!

1to1
09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Currently I have it in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels, a couple 3-drawer units on wheels and in plastic bags in a basket. Plus of course, all the WIPs are in various knitting bags.

In the near future (once DD12 bedroom is finished), I am turning a spare bedroom (DS13 old room) into a "craft" room. :woot: I have some bookcases that I'd like to find nice baskets to put the yarn in. I still plan on keeping the yarn in plastic bags though.

I say "craft" room because I only knit and crochet. I did buy a sewing machine to line a bag I knitted.

I'm still trying to decide on the room setup. If I want wood floors or new carpet, what color, etc. Any ideas, tips, suggestions?!

Jan in CA
09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Because of my daughters young cat I had to rearrange some of my yarn. I do keep the wool in sealed large Ziploc bag and the acrylics and cottons are in one of those rolling drawer carts from Target.

I did have some on a bookshelf and in one of those hanging, multi tiered, stuffed animal things you can get from Ikea, but the kitten got into it. I really liked being able to see it though. Yarn is pretty!

City & Country
09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
This is a great question. I too store my yarns in large rubber-maid type containers which are up on closet shelves. I DO wish they were a little more accessible, but I also worry about moths. Has anyone here had trouble with them?

I once bought a drop spindle - at a fair in Woodstock, NY, I think - some cleaned fleece, and spun a medium sized ball of wool (which I was very proud of!). I put in in a 'baggie' with a twister seal. Many months later, I took it out to show someone, and it had holes in it (eaten right through the ball, as well as through the thin plastic bag it had been kept in). I haven't spun wool since :-( and I wonder/worry about moth larvae with my wool yarns.

Any thoughts?

bip
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I like to think that I keep my yarn in clear plastic drawers and boxes.

My cleaning lady would probably tell you that I keep my yarn strewn about the living room.:mrgreen:

Jan in CA
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
and it had holes in it (eaten right through the ball, as well as through the thin plastic bag it had been kept in). I haven't spun wool since :-( and I wonder/worry about moth larvae with my wool yarns.

Any thoughts?

:noway: I'm not sure.. I think I've heard that freezing it for a few weeks kills moths and larvae, but not sure. :??

HollyP
09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I keep some of my yarn in plastic rubber maid bins. I also have the hanging organizer from Ikea and an old bin of some sort that was converted into a table I found at an estate sale. Funny I didn't think I had a really large stash until I started thinking about all the places I keep my yarn!:teehee:

booskibabe
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
I keep mine in storage containers which are currently in my attic. I think my stash has outgrown the 3 containers that I have, so after we move I want to get some more. Storage AND yarn!:) I like PP's idea of a rolling storage thing. I think I'll either do something like that or hanging storage, because our new house has lots of closets so I can have a "yarn closet". Yay!

ArtLady1981
09-15-2007, 02:55 AM
For sure, in clear plastic zippered bags. One bag for each bunch of yarn. Smaller bags can hold up to 12 skeins of the same yarn usually. Medium bags can hold 18-30 of the same yarn usually. Some bags hold several types of yarn gonna be used for the same project.

The bags are in a yarn closet, a wicker trunk and my favorites are in knitting bags all around me. I call them my "ladies in waiting".

Mulderknitter
09-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I am a very lucky person, in that we have a 2 1/2 bedroom house for just me and Dh (and the 2 cats) when we moved in our second bedrooom with walk-in closet became "my" room. first it was sewing, books, library, then became "all my things crafty" room. We have a futon and tv for guests, but everything else is for me. one wall full of bookshelves, and everything else including the closet (about 8x6 or so I am so lucky!) is mine. In the closet I have ceiling to floor shelves that hold the zippered bags of yarn , and also ceiling to floor target plastic drawers with all of the other yarn and fabric. In the room itself is a nice antique writing desk that has my sewing machine ontop, and all of the drawers hold my various notions.
I also am lucky in that I have found some wonderfully designed hatboxes that go with our living room decor, so all of my favorite yarn and wips are right there in the living room without too much fuss from DH. I HIGHLY recommend finding some nice boxes that have lids for your living areas to hold your yarn for when you want/need it but don't want to show it off so much

Knitting_Guy
09-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I usually store my yarn in the 5th dimension and have fairies retrieve it for me when I need it.

SabrinaJL
09-16-2007, 01:25 AM
:hmm: Could you tell me how to go about getting such a system, Mason? My house is cluttered as it is and your way sounds pretty darn handy.

Rorshach
09-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Mine is conveniently located at my LYS. since I tend to only do one project at a time, this tends to work out well.

MrsDavis3
09-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Find info on clothes moths from Ohio State entomologists:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2107.html

My stash is not big, but if I get worried about moths, I freeze (the yarn or fabric, that is).

laikabear
09-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Mason! :rofl:

I just took a picture of my stash yesterday! I am sure it is miniscule by KH standards.

I was storing it in a yarn store bag on my nightstand, but it was beginning to overflow. I finally bought a clear bin to go under my bed at Target. I can't get out of that store with just one thing!! They have the pet Halloween costumes out, and I caved. My poor puppy. :teehee:

I think Kemp had posted a size meter for your stash on another thread somewhere that was pretty funny. Anyone else have stash pics? I love looking at yarn. :mrgreen:

laptop_knitter
09-16-2007, 10:52 AM
My stash is stored by colour in 6 plain plastic bags at the back ofmy wardrobe. not ideal, but I've no room for nifty boxes :(