PDA

View Full Version : why is it twisting?

washforestlion
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm trying to teach myself to knit (I have a 7 month old). I got the hang of casting on and I think I'm doing the knit stitch right. The knitting is coming out twisted. I'm thinking I must be knitting too tight but I've tried to knit looser but I still get the same thing. Any suggestions?

dagny
09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Hello! I'm new also and have an almost-7-month old too, nice to "meet" you! :knitting:

Is it twisting, or just rolling up? Stockinette stitch always rolls up as far as I know until you put a border on it and there is a thread about this in the How-To Questions area: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

Sunny_Singer
09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
If you are only straight knitting, try loosening up a little on your next stitches... if it is still twisting, it is probably another mistake other than tension. You might want to start over. The best way to learn is to practice. Try to watch some of the videos in the basic section tab at the top and see if you can see where you might be making a mistake.

suzeeq
09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
If the stitches are twisted, you may be wrapping your yarn the wrong way around the needles when you purl or knit. Or sometimes the yarn might cause the stitches to look odd and the piece turns out biased.