PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering - does anyone else have this problem?

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
It isn't the pattern, and it isn't the stitches, but how it is presented.

I have pulled out my stitches and restarted this pattern 3 times in less than 90 minutes because I keep following the wrong "row" on the pattern sheet, for it is listed like

Row 1
Row 2 and all even rows
Row 3
Row 5
Row 7
Row 9

This time I am copying the pattern in another format and inserting the 'missing' rows.

But I am wondering:
Is it just because of my eyes or is this something others have struggled with too?

scout52
09-11-2007, 02:16 AM
that has happened to me. especially if its a complicated pattern. if its complicated then the pattern writer should not be lazy and just include all rows. its just easier that way.

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Reading any pattern is complicated for me still. I only learned how to start reading them in late June of this year.

And I think this would qualify for every odd row is a different pattern. So it is very confusing - at least to me.

But I have a unique disability and sometimes it is just a problem with my eyes, but my thought was the person who typed the pattern got a bit lazy. I am glad someone saw it my way. I feel much better.

Ronda
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I usually take my pattern and either make a copy so I can write on the pattern itself or I have the pattern and a blank piece of paper beside me, and I write down my rows or anything I need to remember.

MrsDavis3
09-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I do whatever I need to do to make a pattern easier to follow. Mostly I write all over it, everywhere, and make marks sometimes to keep track of the rows I've done. I don't have the particular problem you describe, for some reason remembering that every other row is all purl or all knit is easy for me, probably because it's kind of a "free row"; you don't have to think!

The thing that messes me up the most is all those numbers in parentheses. I am never using that first number, so I have to go through and circle my numbers throughout. If I download a pattern, I edit it to remove all extraneous information and I increase the size of the font.

Silver
09-11-2007, 07:57 AM
This is why I prefer charted instructions over written.

Once you get over the initial confusion, charts really are much easier to read. Every row and every stitch is clearly defined.

knitgal
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I always just rewrite the pattern anyways so that I can write out each row and get over that confusion. I also use a little sticky arrow to help me remember where I left off. Writing it out also helps make sure you understand the directions before you start.

bobi1218
09-11-2007, 08:14 AM
If its something simple, like Row 2 and all even rows - knit, I just write the even numbers in in between the odd rows so I can check them off as I go. But if the even rows are more complex than that, and its really bothering you, I would rewrite the pattern out. A little bit of time at the beginning will end up saving you tons of time later!!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
i have to add a "me too" to the "making a copy" and the "marking off the rows". and yes, i end up recycling the paper the pattern was on too courtesy of my 7 year old artist :)

I hate it when they don't at least add the "row 4: same as row 2" so that i can go through with my highlighter after finishing row 4 and highlight it as done.

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
none of the rows in this pattern are a simple k across or p across. They all have these "variations".

I gave up on this one. Even copied I can't get it right and working on size 4 needles the sts are so tiny I can't see the pattern in the rows I had knit to recognize mistakes at the onset - and I was using a pastel solid colored yarn. I never worked in size 4 needles before which wasn't helping me at all.

nonny2t
09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I know it is time consuming, but I have found that by typing out line by line of the instructions then printing them out, I don't lose where I am at. It has worked perfectly for me.

Ellieblue
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with silver. I always try to chart out any pattern with written instructions, and always use markers between each repeat. There's probably a website out there that gives symbols and how to use them. Good luck Ellie:star:

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I know it is time consuming, but I have found that by typing out line by line of the instructions then printing them out, I don't lose where I am at. It has worked perfectly for me.

That is what I ended up doing with this pattern but it was just too hard for me.

I copied and printed out the Falling Water Lace Scarf, which I am doing better with than the one I started this thread about. I deleted that other pattern together. The pattern didn't look that hard but even printed out and crossing out each piece *k2* knitted it, and crossed it out, I couldn't get it to work. Size 4 needles may be another thing I just abandon as not workable with my eyes.

I have done patterns where they don't list a row like all odds p across and not had a problem - but the pattern I gave up on had difficult rows with all kinds of inc and dec in each row, even the non printed repetitive ones.

Riss
09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Since I knit while sitting in front of the computer, I put the instructions into Microsoft Excel. Basically i'll create my own chart, and mark off each row with a Finished next to it.

Its a great way to count rows easily too, especially while doing cables.

HeatherFeather
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
heels heels heels heels....BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH for that same reason, k one more than the previous...OK...I forgot what I had for breakfast, or even if I HAD breakfast. I despise that kind of heel.