PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on 9/11/01?

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I saw this topic on another message board, and got curious.

I was at work. I had no clue until I ended up on hold and some businesses when you are put on hold have a radio station going so you listen to music and I happened to go into hold as an announcer said, "And the World Trade Center is no more!" and I just kind of froze. We had no radio or anything going at work, ever. None of us - as we all started work that day at 8am - had a clue that anything out of the ordinary was going on. A group of my co-workers were at the WTC that day - in the offices of a client - none of them survived, for the floor was above where the plane hit, and I believe it was one of the companies listed later as having only a few survivors - and the survivors were later determined to survive for they were not in the office at the time of the disaster.

We were sent home early but before I left the office, I got a call from my younger daughter's school, she was 12 almost 13. n this area you need a permission slip for literally everything - except this.

Many 'experts' were saying Philadelphia was a prime target for another attack. In this area, that was mentioned at least once a minute with all these "what you should do" clauses after it.

When you watch something live like that as it happens, they show the same scenes in various angles - but the announcers talk and say things and kids easily get mixed up. She was left with the impression that all of NYC was gone, not just the towers. She heard mention of Washington, DC and the Pentagon, but thought that entire city was gone as well. And with all the talk of Philadelphia and the plane that landed in western PA in a field, she thought that all of Philadelphia was also gone. The school called saying she was traumatized. What did I want them to do? My hubby and I both worked in different parts of Philadelphia at the time. The entire SE part of PA was in a panic, traffic was stopped for miles on every road as people tried to get home for work or school or where ever they may have been when the city started shutting every thing down. I told the one who called me to fire the teacher that allowed them to watch something so traumatic with out permission from parents. Ended up more than 85% of the kids in her school *ages 11 to 14* were traumatized and most did not try to return to school until some time the following week - schools were closed in this area on 9/12 and 9/13. The kids had sat there from before 9am when it first came on the air until they were sent home near 12pm - watching that over and over and over. Traumatized? I guess so, she thought she was orphaned that day *sigh*

Ronda
09-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I was working as well. I work at home, though. My mother called and told me to turn on my TV to see what was happening.

Silver
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I was at home, watching "28 Days" on HBO when they interrupted a MOVIE channel with a news crawler that the first tower had been hit by an airplane. I switched to a news channel to see what was going on. I called my dad and asked if he though it was terrorism. It was before the second hit. I was on the phone with him when it did...

marykz
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
I was about 1 mile from the pentagon, in my 12th floor office. I could see the smoke. my best friend was in NYC about 6 blocks from the WTC. we happened to be on the phone to each other.

it took me about 6 hours to get home: no metro service, no car... my DH and I work at the same place. we got a ride home from a co worker with a car going the same way.

The news images are seared into my brain: I just can't watch the footage any more. I'm just thankful for all the first responders and critical personnel who keep the world running no matter what.

Jan in CA
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Sunny that is awful! How scary for all of you!

I was home sleeping (I live on the west coast) and DH came in and woke me up. He said a plane hat crashed into the WTC. At this point we had no idea it was a terrorist attack, but that became obvious as we watched.

DH is a retired firefighter so this is all the more poignant.

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
The news images are seared into my brain

Which is why we avoided having the TV on after 9/11/01 for more than 2 months. The girls were allowed to watch videos but nothing else. The way it hit my younger one, neither ever complained about that restriction and more than once both of my girls came home from friends' houses for their friends had stuff on the TV and they couldn't handle watching it.

blueeyes28
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I was at work but I left early and picked my son up from daycare that was one of the scariest days of my life because no one knew what would happen next.

sinistral_needler
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I was working. I remember hearing something on the radio or maybe even seeing something on one of the message boards that I frequented back then. It was all too surreal. I was working with my mom then and we both were in shock.

Kaydee
09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Iíve always listen to my parents talk about how they remember the exact moment that they found out JFK had been shot and never understood it until 9/11. I was a senior in high school and in the guidance counselorís office meeting about my college applications. One of the other guidance counselors came into her office and said that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. We went into another room with a little tv to see what was going on and then all of a sudden the other tower was hit. I donít think I really even realized or thought about how serious it was at the time. I ended up going on to my next class and it was all anyone could talk about. Or school got news channels on the tvs, so many of my teachers put on the news. Eventually the principal came on the announcements to announce what had happened. I think everyone was just in complete shock, Iím from southern CT and many peopleís parents commute to work in NYC so there was a lot of worried kids.

I donít think it was too much later that we started hearing things about how they thought Osama Bin Laden was behind the attack. One of my teachers who was in the National Guard was told to get his affairs in order and that he was going to duty. It was so sad hearing this and his wife had just had a baby.

I remember coming home from school and just watching the news with my dad crying. It was horrible watching the people try to escape running down the streets and hearing families who didnít know where their loved ones were.

Every year on 9/11 I get a little teary eyed. I know people say this all the time but it really does feel like it was just yesterday that this happened. I canít believe its actually been 6 years.

In the months after the attack, I thought it was amazing to see all of the American flags and supportive signs everywhere. It was like everyone really came together came together during a hard time.

IBAmyB
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I was at home... on a military post (Ft Polk, LA).

DH was already at work and I was watching a re-run of ER on TNT. They interrupted the show to say the Pentagon had been hit. I called DH at work and he said he knew and had to get off the phone as they were in the middle of securing post. (He is a Signal guy, so they deal with all radio communications, etc.)

I sat in front of the TV all day watching the news coverage and DH didn't get home until late that night. I was go glad to have him home.

For the next few days/weeks it was really eerie living on a military post... Our housing area was guarded by Soldiers on Armored Humvees with 50 caliber machine guns. Besides having to show ID when we came onto post from town, we also had to show it when entering our housing area. My friends and I would go for walks and had to make sure we had out military/dependent IDs with us.

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
it took me about 6 hours to get home: no metro service, no car... my DH and I work at the same place. we got a ride home from a co worker with a car going the same way

Usually it was less than 1 hour between where my DH worked at that time and home. We both got off around 1pm and we didn't get home until after 8pm that night. I got stranded, the transit service shut down more routes than it left open. I had to call him to come get me from a distant station between routes. I couldn't get to work the rest of the week, the transit lines were all down. The threat in Philly was monstrous... and although we live in a small town way out of the metro area, it affected the entire SE sector of the state.

stitchwitch
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I had just gotten up. Turned on the computers like I do first thing in the morning. I looked at CNN and saw where a plane had hit the world trade center. I figured it was a small plane and no real big deal. I kept up with the news and realized it was a big deal real soon.
My husband was in Phoenix. He ended up making a speedy retreat when one of the guys he was conventioning with came up to him and said "I'm leaving in 15 minutes, I have a minivan I rented. If you want to get home, grab your stuff and let's go." On the way home back to Florida they picked up a guy (neighbor) who was stranded in Texas with no way home and dropped him off. It was quite the ride, straight through from Phoenix to Houston to Tampa, only stopping for gas and potty breaks.
I remember one thing vividly about that day,....I called my mom to express concern that my hubby was not home and I was scared to have him all the way across the US during this time....she told me to grow up. :grrr:

debinoz
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I had just dropped off the kids at school and stopped at the grocery store for something for dinner. They play different radio stations over the intercom and I remember I was debating fritos or cheetos when the news broke. I didn't get either. I checked out as fast as possible and drove home to watch the news. The kids knew about it at school. My next to oldest said they were watching it until the principal made the teachers turn off the t.v's.

brendajos
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I was at home. I was still in bed as I had a doctor's appointment that day and was going into the office late. I had the TV on but wsa facing away from it. We get the Today show and hour late here and it struck me that it didn't sound right because it sounded like it was actually live. I turned to look and they were talking about the first plane hitting the building. They were still calling it a commuter plane at that time. Then when we watched the 2nd one hit live I jumped out of bed and went running to the phone. I had to find out where the sometimes b/f was. When I was talking to him, we still didn't know what was going on but it was clear that it was bad. His question to me was "WHy did they fly TWO planes into the WTC?" He was at an appointment and hadn't heard anything yet himself. Of course I had no answers for him, just relief to hear his voice.

I bought the DVDs that came out of the footage after 9/11 because I felt like I wanted to have them, sort of as documentation I guess. They are still in their cellophane. I can't watch them. I truly wish I hadn't seen Flight 93 but felt like I had to.

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I was nursing my baby girl and watching my morning news. I watched the whole thing unfold from the very beginning.

I grew up by DC, and ended up calling all my relatives after the Pentagon got hit. I had already had a trip planned in October, and went on it. Got to see the damage firsthand. Simply staggering.

Jan in CA
09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I
I remember one thing vividly about that day,....I called my mom to express concern that my hubby was not home and I was scared to have him all the way across the US during this time....she told me to grow up. :grrr:

:noway: :passedout:

figaro
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I was laying in bed with a very pregnant belly (my oldest) flipping thru the channels when I saw the second plane hit and called my husband into the room. I was in shock, complete shock, could not believe what I was watching was real. Husband had to go to work and I kept calling him and letting him know what was going on. I know I will remember where I was for this but I do not remember the shuttle tradegy, I just remember the sadness when I saw it explode, that was the same (if not worse) sadness I felt when I saw the WTC fall to the ground.

I am in NJ and this morning, all the local stations had the memorial on and a few of the news stations too. MSNBC basically put in the footage from that day and let it run for however long, not sure because I would watch it for a few minutes, I actually tuned in just in time to see the second plane hit again then I had to change it. Oprah is on right now, she taped the show yesterday with kids whose parents died that day, so of course I am getting a little sad again.

marykz
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Usually it was less than 1 hour between where my DH worked at that time and home. We both got off around 1pm and we didn't get home until after 8pm that night. I got stranded, the transit service shut down more routes than it left open. I had to call him to come get me from a distant station between routes. I couldn't get to work the rest of the week, the transit lines were all down. The threat in Philly was monstrous... and although we live in a small town way out of the metro area, it affected the entire SE sector of the state.

yeah- I remember almost the whole Eastern Seaboard was shut down. no rail, no subways in any major city. we were so lucky our coworker (that we didn't really know) drove us to where we had left the car. (usually a 45 min ride on the subway) We stayed home 1 day, but then Metro was running again.

I'm still surprised at how they let your kids watch it on TV. sometimes people have no common sense.

I started to watch the flight93 movie, but it is just so sad.

Despiteknowing people in NY and living in the DC area we didn't know anyone (personally) who perished. but those who did are still on our prayer lists.

We didhn't have our DD at the time (I found out I was 1 month pregnant a week later) I can't imagine being separated from your kids during a crisis like that. it must be a helpless feeling.

But now we have a disaster plan, supplies, and possible routes out of MD if we ever need them.

Doodknitwit
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
My mother died on 9/9..her memorial was the afternoon of 9/11... Like many people we had not watched tv news for months prior because of the negative energy.. My neighbor called and said turn it on....

I hope you all have been driving with your headlights on today!!! a tribute

Secksiebrat
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I was in my sophomore year of college. I was at George Mason University, which is in Fairfax, Virginia.

I went to my first class that morning, which was an art class and was preparing for my 3 hour class when I heard my cell phone beep and checked it to see that it was my dad. I was a little confused b/c it wasn't like him to call me knowing I was in class. He was calling to tell me he was at work... and that I might have to come get him. I was really confused and then the teacher came into class and started telling everyone what was going on. She immediatly told us to go back to our rooms/houses and wait for more word.

I remember walking back to my dorm and thinking about the fact my dad was 15 minutes or so from the pentagon, heck I was 25 minutes or so..

I watched tv on my computer in my dorm room that day. Classes were canceled and they opened up the Mason theater to live tv so everyone could watch. I didn't have to pick up my dad that day b/c he managed to get a ride out of town. But I remember the the moment I got his call and thinking about the fact we were all so close.

What boggles my mind most, is that 3 years later, to the day, my son was born. It just goes to show that God can take life but he also gives life.

~danielle~

scout52
09-11-2007, 05:17 PM
I was in california in my 3rd year in law school. my roommate woke me up bc i'm orignally from NY. and he knew my father was flying that day to Las Vegas for a convention that I was going to go meet him later in the week. I ran to the tv in Shock.

My mother calls in 2 minutes later in a panic because my father didn't leave his flight information like he normally did and I didn't bother getting it because I wasn't seeing him till later in the week. For the next 3 hours my mother, twin and I called every airline trying to figure out what airline and flight my father was on. He was on american airlines but luckily he wasn't on that flight. He flew out of newark and got rerouted to Philly and he said when he landed he had no idea what was going on but saw everyone standing around the tvs. He saw the flames on the towers and then booked it to the rental cars but they were all gone. luckily he had a friend in philly that could drive him home.

I had family who worked in the towers but thankfully they all got out safe. One got to work late and saw the plane hit, one was going downstairs to get coffee, one was a security guard who happened to switch shifts, and one who didn't listen when they said to just sit and wait when the first tower was hit. He just left. One of my cousins wife we couldn't find for a few days but she got a out safe and was at a hospital with some injuries but was ok.

I still can't believe this happened. When i went back for thanksgiving and it was still smoking it was so surreal.

Belphoebe
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I was teaching in a northern Virginia middle school near a military base. Some of the kids at school's parents worked for the Pentagon. Needless to say, it was a horrible day. :pout:

scout52
09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I was teaching in a northern Virginia middle school near a military base. Some of the kids at school's parents worked for the Pentagon. Needless to say, it was a horrible day. :pout:

Oh god as a teacher of those kids, I can't imagine how you felt. What did you feel you could say to those kids?

jjminarcik
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I was in my Senior year of college. I had went to my art class early to finish a project. No one else was showing up for class and I was thinking that I confused my days or something. Then one of my classmates ran in and told me about it. We both ran to the tv and I remember standing there and everyone was crying. It was such a shock.

Another thing that was so weird, was my sorority had its Rush the weekend before. Things didn't turn out exactly the way we expected and did not get very many members. And our "theme" that year was "Tomorrow the whole world won't be the same". Then two days later was 9/11. We all believed we were living in a dream and we hadn't woken up yet.

I will never forget that day, ever. I can't watch the news stories about it, they make me teary.

misha rf
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I was driving to work, listening to the radio, when they said they had "breaking news." (I was living in Austin, TX at the time.) They started talking about a plane hitting one of the towers. I thought it was a little plane that hit the antenna. As I was waiting to get through the security gate (I worked in a shelter), they started talking about the second plane & this being a terrorist attack. I went to my office, but the internet was down, so I walked across the compound to the resource center, where I knew they had a tv. People started coming in, and sat down to watch. We had the tvs on all day. You did what you had to do, and the rest of the time we just sat and watched the coverage. I lived near the airport, and for the next few days, the lack of airplanes was eerie.

Mulderknitter
09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I was driving to work when I heard about the first plane. I didn't beleive them, actually thought it was a radio stunt or something, and then I literally heard the horror in the newscasters voices when the 2nd hit and then I believed it. I remember watching the news for weeks afterwards and I got more and more upset over time went on. And even though I know that only 18 people died recently here in Minneapolis from the bridge collapse, both hit me the same way because of the visual footage. Watching people jump from the WTC and watching the bridge collapse are just as horrifying to me. Neither day I will ever forget. Nor will I forget watching the WTC footage at work and having my then boss come in and say "are you crying?" in a condescending voice.

auburnchick
09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
You know, I replay this every year...

I was a SAHM. I usually watched the Today Show after taking the kids to school, but I had scheduled a hair appt (highlights too...so it was going to be a long one) immediately after school started, so I hopped in the car. I stopped at a gas station to get a drink and remember hearing someone say something about a tv. I wasn't paying attention and went on my way.

I heard about the first plane on the radio. My dh is state law enforcement, so I figured he might know what was going on. He explained what he knew thus far. Then, as I was driving, the second plane hit. I remember pulling into the hair salon's parking lot and sobbing. I lost my dad in April of that year, so all I could think about was the loss of all of those family members and the pain the relatives would be going through. I was still grieving heavily over the unexpected loss of my dad five months before.

I wound up staying at my hair appointment, believe it or not. I knew my children were not far away, and it helped to be with other people. The owner did my hair, but he didn't have a TV. He and his wife were from NY and were on the phone constantly checking in with relatives. We listened to updates on the radio. I called my kids' schools to ensure that they were okay. I went straight to my son's school after my appt and just sat with the kids at lunch. They were totally confused about why kids were getting pulled out of school. I just tried to avoid the subject and talk about normal stuff to get their minds off of it.

I did not see any footage until late that afternoon. I think I'm glad because I just don't know how I would have handled the visuals so early on.

I did watch United 93 at the theater, and I found it extremely touching and heroic.

zkimom
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm a transplanted New Yawker. No matter where I live, I'll always be from New York. I grew up in Queens and I can remember the towers being built while I was in school.

I live in Connecticut now and I had just dropped my children off at school. I came home and my dh called and told me to turn on the tv. I watched for a while and then called the school cause I knew no one there would know what was going on.

I know that friends of mine living near the shore in Norwalk, CT said that they could see the smoke from across the sound.

I was thankful that I was in CT at the time and not in Brooklyn Heights where we had lived prior to that. We had a view of the towers from our apartment when we were there and my parents had an apartment right across the river from the towers at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. That would have been too close for comfort for me.

I still feel funny doing anything on September 11th other than just being quiet and remembering just how frightening and sad it was.

Belphoebe
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
All you can do is comfort and try to keep them calm until they know things are o.k. or not. These kids were involved near the I-95 sniper incidents a year later.

Oh god as a teacher of those kids, I can't imagine how you felt. What did you feel you could say to those kids?

vaknitter
09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I was in NY doing some last minute packing before leaving to fly to Reno, NV for 2 wks vacation. I had the Today show on saw all the coverage from the very beginning.

My mother called in tears to tell me that I was not getting on my airplane (little did we know at that time that my flight would be cancelled) and to head home. I went to their house and sat and watched TV with my father until we couldn't take it anymore. My father is retired military and was deployed for various conflicts as where my uncles. I remember it suddenly occurred to me that he could be recalled and I was so nauseated ! I called him every morning and every night for months just to say I love you and make sure that he hadn't been and couldn't be recalled. Unfortunately one of my uncles was recalled and deployed away from his wife and two beautiful daughters.

dagny
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
I was in uptown Manhattan working at my college's media library. We gathered around a radio that a painter working in the building had and listened to WABC shaking with fear. I went to the front desk and wrote an email to let DH (then DF) and my best friend know that I was all right, because there was no cell coverage, then ran across campus and went to the 16th floor of my dorm and watch #2 fall in shock. I went to my room and called my mom crying when I was finally able to get a phone line out a while later. Gathered in the common room and watched TV later when it came back on. The Dean of the school got us all together out on the lawn and gave a speech and she had to stop several times because of the military jets flying over so loudly. I didn't sleep that night, or the next, I was too scared. My room was right on Broadway and I could hear the equipment trucks all night carrying to and from ground zero..

Easily the most frightening and stressful day of my life.

BinkyKat
09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
:heart: to all those lost and affected by what happened. That seems so odd...I mean to refer to a date like "9/11" or "the events of 911", I still can't wrap my mind around it. Like the date is defined by what occurred.

I was getting ready for work and actually was naughty about watching morning tv instead of getting ready and being all nicely done up. I barely give myself time to get my hair dry it seems. I was brushing my teeth and the channel had a Little House on the prairie rerun so I flipped the channel to see what the Today show had to say. I immediately saw the smoke from the first plane hit. Katie and Matt were scrambling with information about a plane hitting it and I thought, "how could somebody be that off course?" and just the next second, the next plane hit!! :shock: I couldn't imagine that a air traffic controller or pilot could make the same mistake...they immediately started saying there is something going on that is more than just an unfortunate accident. I just stood there with my mouth gaping open with toothpaste on my face. I ran to the bathroom to rinse and just paced around thinking..." I have to CALL someone!" and called a gal at work. she had no clue. By the time I had gotten in the care on the way to work, it was 9 our time and 10 Eastern so it was on the radio that I heard that one tower began to fall. I called my dad and he had no idea as he hadn't had the news on. My friends who just got married that weekend didn't know until they got the airport that flights all over the country were grounded...they didn't have the tv on while they packed that am.
I can't bear to watch a whole lot of footage because my heart just broke for those that realized as the hours and days went by and so many people were missing and found dead. I still get almost sick to my stomach to think of those in the other planes that called their families knowing they were not going to make it.
I am not terribly inconvenienced by the changes since then as I don't travel by plane a lot, but it does sort of make me mad that we aren't able to be the way we used to be.
:sad:

feministmama
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I was getting my son ready for his first day of school. (we live in Portland OR) Kindergarten. I didn't have a car then so his father was coming to pick us up. But he was early, running up the stairs. "what?" I said opening the door. He said "turn on the TV, it's WW3!" Just as I turned it on they played the footage of planes hitting and then my mum called. She lives in Boston. SHe was watching the Today show live and saw the second plane hit. I turned around and the buildings were falling. I screamed. Through the phone my mother said "don't scream, you have to keep it together for your son." I thought, you know this is the one time when screaming is appropriate. I cried, no I balled my eyes out. The school called and said he can go to school or stay home. He said he wanted to go to school. he was looking forward to it. So we took him. Only half the school was there. His dad had to go to work so I went home, blew off work and stayed in bed watching the TV till noon. I slept till I had to pick up the boy and then I got him and hugged him all the rest of the day.

dakatzmeow
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
i was in anatomy & physiology lab. i had no clue it had happened until i left lab and went to the bathroom. someone asked me what i thought about the plane crashes. had no clue. i went from there to the computer lab where the lab asst was watching the towers fall live on line.

knitwit88
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I was in second grade! Everybody was getting sent to the principal's office because their parents wanted to take them home. I was too young to really understand the gravity of what had happened. Mrs. Wissen was my teacher. Wow! I havent thought about her in years.

sig
09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
At that time I was living in Miami and was at work. We had a small tv at our lunch room and i whent to get me some coffee. They had the news on TV. We where soo scared! Some of my coworkers where from NY. My mom called me from spain at about 3p.m. that afternoon and she was scared, she was trying to call me for 4 hours!!! The news where just terrible, and there was no way i could go back home as she wanted! My best friend from school (i when to college in New Orleans) was getting married that weekend and i was the maid of honor. I was not able to go to the the wedding!! Pff, terrible, sad time...
I was also in Madrid when they attact us. Again, scared as hell and soo sad! and angry!!!

AussieYank
09-12-2007, 05:07 AM
I had already taken my son to school (we were in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania at the time) and was home with my younger son. He was watching Nickelodeon (which they did not interupt) and my DH called and told me to turn on the TV. By the time I switched over, both towers had already fallen. We were called to come pick up our older son from school.

What really worried us was that a very good friend was a pilot for American Airlines and flew out of New York. Thankfully, it turned out that day he was flying for the navy, but was allowed to fly back home before being grounded.

When they showed the previews for United 93 in the cinemas here in Perth, it was very strange - my heart started pounding and I felt sick to my stomach - just watching the preview! I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie, although I did see the World Trade Center one with Nicholas Cage.

Andrea
09-12-2007, 05:43 AM
I was in Disneyworld at our timeshare with my then DH.

I had just woken up and went to the family room to watch tv while he still slept. My mouth dropped as it was just after the cameras started rolling after the first plane hit.

My DH came out in the family room after he heard me going "Oh my God!" and we sat together and watched the tv all day. Such a strange week as we were away from our family. But each year after, we took a "09/11" trip back to Florida. We're now divorced, but still very close.

We are both cops, so we gave a lot of thoughts to those first responders, along with all the other victims. :heart:

suziehomemaker
09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I had just gotten married the week before so I was still in wedded bliss. Our second day back to work was Tuesday, 9/11/01 and we worked in the Sears Tower in Chicago. I got to work early as normal and one of the guys coming in said some jerk just flew a plane into one of the towers.

We thought it was a drunk pilot of a Cesna or something like that so we went on CNN.com for more info. Soon after that site crashed and a building wide announcement was made that the Sears Tower was closed and we should evacuate immediately. That building can hold 30k people so I think we were lucky that this happened before most people got to work.

We got on the first METRA train available and sat next to a co-worker that had a portable tv player with him. On the train ride home we saw the second plane hit the tower live and then heard about another plane hitting the Pentagon.

My thoughts were that we were going to war and the big cities were a target. I kept thinking about all of the possible ways to get back to Upstate NY safely and out of Chicago. I thought that if they instituted a draft we'd have to move to Canada. Isn't that sad? I grew up about 20 mins from the Canadian border so I figured that was a better option then sending my new husband off to war.

I called my Mom at her office and she had no idea what was going on. She was a banker at the time and actually told us to go to an ATM and get out as much cash as possible just in case the financial systems went down. Very scary.

The hardest part was getting an email from our CEO saying that we would be open on 9/12. It took alot of courage to go back to work that day when it was on the news that the Sears Tower was one of the suspected targets. We came very close to quiting our jobs in the next couple weeks because of all the scares that kept happening.

Luvmyrottnboy
09-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I was at work (I managed a condo back then) on the phone with my best friend who called to tell me a plane had crashed into the WTC. As we spoke she screamed...she was watching TV and saw the second plane.

I ran upstairs to my friend's condo and we watched the news. It was so horrible as you all know. We were terrified for one of the condo residents who was a United flight attendant. Later we found out one resident had a meeting scheduled at the WTC but canclled out and another's BIL was missing.

Our flight attendant friend turned out to be on an FMLA in CA to care for her ailing mom and one of her co-workers took her shift on the UAL flight. When she finally came home to Boston I just burst into tears when I saw her I was so relieved. She, however, had huge issues of guilt to deal with.

I live on Boston Harbor and Logan Airport is one mile across the harbor, directly in front of my house. We always complained about the noise. After that silent week when no planes moved in or out I was craving that noise. When I heard the first plane leave again I burst into tears. I have never complained since.

Sometimes when I am on my deck watching the airplanes come and go it hits me that they were HERE. Those horrible men were HERE one mile from my home and it makes me so sad.

hob
09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
i was on my way to school and i was walking past a shop(thats no longer there) they had the tvs all lined up showing the twin towers being hit. i rember standing out side the shop thinking 'how on eath could that of happend its america thing like that dont happn to us(i mean the westen world)' when i got back home i just sat in front of the tv trying to make some sence out of it all.for days after thats all i did every day it seem get biger and biger i was young but i still rember thinking the world is never going to be the same. i live in england by the way so it must of bean so much harder being there.

msoebel
09-13-2007, 10:40 AM
I was in college and was getting ready for my computer class. I had the Today show on and was walking out of the apartment when I heard them say that a plane had crashed into the first tower. I was watching the footage of that when they broke in and said that the other plane hit the second tower. I remember sinking down to my floor and yelling for my dh to wake up (he didn't have to work until 11 am that day). We sat there in disbelief, until he had to go to work and I had to make my last class of the day. I had to walk across campus (we lived in apartments on the outskirts of campus) and I cut through a dorm...the giant screen TV was pulled into the middle of the lobby and the lobby was packed with college students sitting and standing around it.

I had to work that afternoon, as an after school program teacher, and all of the kids were scared because one of their teachers at school had panicked and said that Dallas would probably be next (we lived just outside of Dallas).

The thing I remember most? Seeing the bodies fall from the towers. I think that image is seared in my memory.

My sister's mother in law was in the pentagon that day...she managed to escape with a broken collar bone and some scrapes and bruises.

Misty

Magaly
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I was getting ready for work. I was working for United Airlines at the time. I was a Supervisor at the Chicago airport. It was really scary. People where everywhere really scared and didnt understand what was going on.

I was with a very wonderful lady who lost her husband on our airline. I had to spend the day with her til the notice was given that it was her husband. This was the hardest thing I have ever done. Letting her know it was infact him.
to this day losing my friends, coworker and the fact it hit to close to home was very very heartbeaking. I take live very different. to top it off the love of my life was told he had to leave for Iraq. this is where I began to learn to Knit and Crochet. I still get nervous talking about it i get cold and calmy and i just cant get aroound to watch any of the movies cause all i do is think about who.

today i just take time out and say thank you Lord for given me another day

cftwo
09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I was at work and a coworker from the next office came and told us. I thought it was a joke at first. We "worked" the rest of the day, really watching the newscasts and being horrified by everything which happened. I worked at a college and our first concern was students who may have had parents working in Manhattan.

bjc1050
09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I was home. Had just gotten out vaccuum cleaner preparing to vaccuum and mop floors which should have only taken most of the morning. However, I turned on C-Span's Morning Journal a few minutes before the 2nd plane hit the towers. Needless to say I was glued to the t.v. most of the day. My morning chore ended up taking me ALL day to finish. Didn't know whether to expect an onslaught of evacuees from the Northern VA area.

msmelody
09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I was at home in my apartment getting ready to get online to go to class. Saw the news and lost it. My parents where traveling from TX to Delaware (the scenic route), and I did not have a clue where they were. I am still not able to watch the footage for very long, nor can I watch the movies. I ended up having to reroute my parents around a nuclear power plant in TN, because they shut down all the roads going near it.

My now husband was in Groten, CT at Navy sub school. He ended up doing security detail, and could see the smoke from the Towers from where he was at in CT. Kind of glad I did not know him then, because I think I would have become a basket case at that point and time. I certainly would not let him stay in the Navy.

ecb
09-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I was working in an office in a highrise in Center City Philladelphia
one of my co-workers sent us a link to a streaming feed to news footage
we were not allowed to leave until about noon, but once the city shut down the airport and bridges and subways (basically shutting down the city) we were told to go home
I sent out and I sent an e-mail to my co-workers telling them that if they could not get home to their families, they could come to my home, and then i drove to a groceryand bought enough food to feed a small army
only 2 called me, and only one came over
but still it was one of those great moments of Self

the next weekend I cooked up all the food I had bought and froze it for later, but at least I tried

ecb

SusanMarie1956
09-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I remember getting dressed for work. I had the radio on while getting dressed for work when I heard it. I thought the D.J. was joking. BUt then I thought, " They would NOT joke about something like that. " So I ran in to the computer room and turned a T.V. on and watched the second plane fly into the Twin Towers.

I still remember that.... :sad: All I could really think of is, " Is Johhny ( my cousin )In The Twin Towers ? " BUt he was safe. He was in the Pentagon Building.

Knitting_Guy
09-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I was in NJ, right across the river.

rennfamily
09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I had just gotten to work 4 miles from the biggest air force base in the state of Maryland. I immediately called DH who works for the government and was told he might be going to Colorado that evening to work round the clock. My next call was to my dad who worked in downtown DC at one of the hospitals. They were gearing up to take casualities.
My prayers still go out to all the families each and every day. We lost a family friend in the pentagon.