PDA

View Full Version : What are your Christmas plans knitting-wise?

booskibabe
09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm knitting a lot of gifts this year (mostly hats, with an occasional scarf) and I wondered who else is knitting gifts. If you are, what and for whom? Here's my list:
Hats, all different types and colors: 3 brothers, 1 (maybe 2) sisters, 1 SIL.
Scarf: SIL
Fingerless gloves: Mom
Purse: The maybe sister - haven't decided between a purse or hat for her.
Animals: Niece and nephew
Felted potholders: Grandma

I was a little more ambitious, was going to make some booga bags and maybe a shrug, but had to downsize cause we are now buying a house and moving and I'm afraid I'll run out of time.:cheering:

willowangel
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm making a blanket for my almost 2 year old nephew, which I've yet to get started, eep. Otherwise, armwarmers and hats.

Fi xx

Braden
09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Here's my list

Cabled Sweater for my Aunt. No problem!

2 pairs of socks (Good as gold)

Finish a crocheted afghan. It should only take about 20 minutes if I buckle down and get it done.

stirsmommy
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
This is my list:

Purses for sis and sil; 1 mosaic and one that I started said intarsia but the pattern talks about carrying a strand.

I also am amking shawls for the moms. Not certain about a pattern yet but I think it should be dk weight so that it doesn't take me a hundred years.

A set of fiber trend clogs for the dads.

fingerless gloves for my niece.

I haven't figured out my kids yet and I always make something for them although this will be my first year knitting for them.

I think if I knit like a maniac for the next few months that I will make it.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
finishing one son's sweater, making a shawl for mom...

dip's mom
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
a scarf for each of my sisters from Victorian Lace Today -- I finished one last night except for weaving in some ends and blocking. I really enjoy lace as I like the variety in the different rows but making a mistake is a huge pain.

Jess_knit
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I can't be too ambitious, now that I realize how little knitting I get done during the weekday since school has started, so it's a good thing I have a couple gifts already finished.

Mystery Stole 3: my mom
Fun fur (:ick:) scarf: aunt
Mittens (that probably won't get worn): grandma
Socks: 3 family friends
I need to find something to make for my dad, I think. I have no idea what, though.

Lady Violet
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
as of right now (this could change several times between now and december :teehee:):

rosalind (http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/rosalind.htm)for dad
knucks (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTknucks.html)for brother, mom (?)
rainy day scarf (http://yarndemon.typepad.com/demonic_progress/2005/05/rainy_day_scarf.html)for mom (possibly hand-dyed)
palindrome (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm)for grandfather
still trying to decide for grandmother (hoping for something lacey)

knucks, squatty sidekick, 2 hats for friends

that's assuming i can afford all the yarn. KP here i come!!!

:eyes:

booskibabe
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
So what do you make for a guy - or 4 - who don't wear scarves or hats or fingerless gloves?

Carla1019
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
So far "Barbie" clothes for my niece.. but I have not started yet.

Jeremy
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
So what do you make for a guy - or 4 - who don't wear scarves or hats or fingerless gloves?

Socks!

laptop_knitter
09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
two Iris (Knitty) tops I'm adjusting for my younger sisters, no idea yet for my mum. maybe a smock dress...

debinoz
09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Scarves and hats in team colors for my 3 nephews, nephew-in-law and brother-in-law to be. I thought about berets and scarves for sister, mom, niece-in-law, dil and niece. I was making grandkids sweaters, but probably will not have enough time. So I'm thinking I need to rethink a lot of things. None of it will probably be worn, my family is the type that if it's not bought at a store, it's junk.

Sunny_Singer
09-11-2007, 10:59 PM
None of it will probably be worn, my family is the type that if it's not bought at a store, it's junk.

We all end up with some family who see things that way. Sometimes I wonder if my family realize that it is the thought not the gift that counts, and creating your own is a lot more thoughtful than running to the store and buying the first thing you see that happens to be "a good deal"

My sister is notorious for her impractical, unusable store bought gifts that usually end up stored in a closet or given away. One year she bought fancy spangle evening bags for my daughters, as if they were heading to some fancy prom. The problem? They were 7 and 9 years of age - LOL.

I'm kind of debating this one still. First I haven't the skills yet to do some of these projects. Second, my family is all over the place, and in various climates. Sending winter type gear to FL isn't exactly sensible LOL so winter scarves are out.

I would like to find a good trivet knitting pattern for my MIL. She plays hostess way too often and her number of trivets has depleted mostly they are just so old they are falling apart or breaking, etc. I'd like to make 2 or 3 to match her kitchen and the same number to match her dining room as she uses both consistently.

Beyond that I am rather stumped but I'll keep skimming through patterns for other ideas. The only "men" I have to do anything for is my DH and son in law, both my father *4yrs* and FIL *11yrs* passed away quite a while ago.

Songbirdy
09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Well, I'm working on my DD's sweater at the moment. I've just finished knitting DS's sweater but have to seam it up.

The kids requested sweaters because Ron and Harry get the for Christmas, so they need them too. lol!

Then I want to knit my cable vest sooner than later. Plus two more for myself.

These are all 'Christmas' presents, but will likely be put into use right away. We are big on practical gifts in my family and on just giving whenever the gift is ready. We do wrap them up for giving on Christmas Day. It is kind of fun because we don't label so you don't know 'what you're getting.' lol!

Then I've knitted my baby nephew a sweater.

I've got 2 more nephews and 3 nieces so I'm thinking of knitting up Bobbie bears for them.

And the DH's monster elephant socks. Those will take a long enough time!

So... its going well, I've got 3 of the list basically knit up, 2 knit, and 1 completely finished :)

cando
09-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Purses for sis and sil; 1 mosaic and one that I started said intarsia but the pattern talks about carrying a strand.

stirsmommy, what mosaic pattern are you using for the bag? Is it felted?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-11-2007, 11:58 PM
None of it will probably be worn, my family is the type that if it's not bought at a store, it's junk.

this is why i adore my adoptive family. a LOT of them are crafters (crochet, sewing, woodworking, etc) and they fully appreciate the time and effort that goes into handmade gifts. The wife of the head of our tribe went and told me saturday that the afghan i made for them LAST december is displayed on their couch and everyone says how cuddly it looks and she tells them that it is :)

Right now i'm trying to figure out how i want to do a border and graph for the shawl for mom. I want to put a rune on it using the silvery chenille thick and quick (since i'm making it in monarch)

stirsmommy
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
stirsmommy, what mosaic pattern are you using for the bag? Is it felted?

I am using Thorne's Market Bag that I got at WEBS. It is felted and yet still really big. I actually wanted to start on it first because it looks easy after reading the pattern but I haven't gotten the yarn for it yet.

Jan in CA
09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm making fingerless mittens for my daughters and maybe a purse.

AnnaT
09-12-2007, 03:35 AM
There's so many wonderful ideas here!

I am making a scarf for my mother, father, and grandmother. I'm not really sure if my father will wear the scarf (very hot-natured) but I was thinking he might when he rides his motorcycle on a cool day.

Was also thinking of making fingerless gloves for my mother to match her scarf. I'm just not sure but I better decide because I'm probably the slowest knitter on the forum.

I asked my sister if my niece would be interested in a Harry Potter scarf, but no answer yet. I have NO IDEA what I could possibly make for my nephew, who's 12, and I don't like the idea of making something for her and not him. :??

AnotherBecca
09-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Mittens- cousin, mom, aunt
uh...hadn't thought any further than that.
maybe some dishcloths for my grandma, she always mentions how she's "just so proud" that I'm knitting. She'd love it!

I need to get motivated and get to work on some!

GinnyG
09-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Almost finished with my first gift, a Palindrome scarf for my DIL. Now that I know how easy and beautiful they are I may make one for EVERYONE.

Also want to make a sweater for my daughter.....

DQ
09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't know if I'm making anything yet. There's so much I still have to learn and want to try! I think I'm just going to keep going with trying new things and if I manage to get anything of present standard finished then I will decide who to give it to!

Oh, but if the bag I am making at the moment turns out nice I might make another one for my brothers girlfriend :mrgreen:

Cia
09-12-2007, 06:24 AM
I figured I could crash this thread with a question:teehee:.
What should I knit my dad for christmas? Any suggestions?

booskibabe
09-12-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm stumped on that one too. Someone suggested socks.:cheering: I like the idea but I don't know if I'll have enough time to make them, with moving and everything. Would that idea work for you?

Wow, everyone is so ambitious! I've got so many good ideas for next year, LOL:happydance:

Cia
09-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm stumped on that one too. Someone suggested socks.:cheering: I like the idea but I don't know if I'll have enough time to make them, with moving and everything. Would that idea work for you?

Wow, everyone is so ambitious! I've got so many good ideas for next year, LOL:happydance:
Well socks are a good idea, only problem is that once I get my new needles (options+ fixed circular!!!!!!!) I have already planned for another pair of socks... I was thinking of one of those felted clogs I've seen around here...

Slim
09-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Socks!

Great idea! I've been trying to decide what to make for my son & his wife who are moving to Florida in December. I'm thinking scarves & hats are probably out, but everbody wears socks, right? Ooh, or clogs!

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Stirs Mommy,

but I think it should be dk weight so that it doesn't take me a hundred years

I had to laugh at that! But it's so true!

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Lady Violet,

I love that Rainy Day Scarf! Tahnks, I copied It!

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Debinoz,

I'm knitting hats in Team Colors for our son's college friend who just had a baby.

So I'm making hats in Cincinnati Bengals colors. Orange and Black!

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by debinoz

Now in our family, it['s just the opposite. If you made it yourself, it's treasured.

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Cia,

Just think, " What Does Dad Like? "

Lieke
09-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I've got no plans, as I still live at home with my parents, so I'm not able to knit anything in secret.

dustinac
09-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I have several scarves finished, hat, dishrags, bath mitts, and then I'll finish MS3 for my mom... My dad is wanting a matching hat and scarf to his dashings...really that is all I have to start... :happydance:

HollyP
09-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I am knitting Sitcom Chic (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsitcomchic.html) for my mom
The better sweater (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_49939,00.html) for my Dsil
I am finally finishing a Ohio state university scarf for my brother
Palindrome scarf for my other brother
I didn't knit it but my sister is getting No sew fleece blanket (http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-jan03.htm) that I put together last weekend. It was so easy I was tempted to make one for everyone else!

I *think* (read hope!) I can get everything done in time. Both of the scarves are practically finished and the sweaters are both no seaming!

stirsmommy
09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Stirs Mommy,

I had to laugh at that! But it's so true!

Yeah well the scary thing is when I first thought up the shawl idea I was thinking lace weight. Of course they were getting clogs like the Dads but then I realized they would get upset if the the sisters got colorwork and they didn't get something that looked like it had some effort put into it.
I can't believe my list though. I just looked at it and wondered what I am thinking. Must knit constantly!

cftwo
09-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I have finished a sweater for a 8 yo nephew, and a cardigan for a 5 yo niece, and a poncho for their 2 yo sister. I have finished 3 scarves (for my hairdresser, a friend, and most likely one of my sisters), and have 2 more I know I want to do. Those scarves are going to be red and green totally frivolous Christmas scarves for my grandmothers. I may give my grandfather a scarf I've already finished since I kept thinking about him as I knit it. I think that's it.

knitncook
09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I've got a set of mittens and a hat for my oldest dd. Need to find similar for my younger. I'm making a "beehive hat" (series of knit and purl rows that make a beehive looking thing) for a friend of mine who is recently into beekeeping. "Something" for my son - maybe a sweater, he loves sweaters. I've got the instructions for the Linux illusion scarf for my dh, but I'm not sure if I am actually going to make it for him yet or not LOL!!

In actuality I really don't knit for many people outside of my own immediate family. I think it has something to do with their lack of appreciation. My beekeeper friend is also a spinner/dyer/knitter so she will totally appreciate the hat (and the whimsy behind it) and my kids all knit so they understand. Most other people just don't get it. They see a handmade scarf that has hours of time spent on it and they go, "Oh, it's just a scarf."

Cia
09-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Cia,

Just think, " What Does Dad Like? "

Life would have been so easy if my dad liked things. Me and my sisters take turns buying him tea for christmas. Really he doesn't like things...

Jax3303
09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I just finished my first gift this season. I made a Montego Bay scarf for my sister, Dawn. OTN right now for Holiday gifts I have:
Daisy cardigan for my niece, Talia
a small throw for my parents
Monkey socks for my sister, Jammie
cabled cardigan for my niece, Laney

and I'm planning on doing another cabled cardigan for my niece, Morgan, and a scarf for my BIL.

and somewhere in there I need tog et winter hats for my kids knit up (3) and a baby shower gift for my cousin. I'm enlisting DH to help knit the gifts this year....

Chrissie
09-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm knitting a cardigan for my niece's Christmas/birthday present, scarves for my brother and his girlfriend, dog coats for my mil and grandmother who have little dogs, maybe the modern quilt wrap for my mother, maybe some hats for some people.

Mulderknitter
09-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I am actually immensely proud of myself xmas knitting wise. I have my mom done, my grandpa, and halfway through grandma (gpa and gma are getting matching scarves). :yay:I am only knitting gifts for people that appreciate handmade gifts, and that I am limiting to "gosh that looks so complicated" but it's easy... hence, everyone is getting something cabled in bulky yarn!:muah:I highly recommend this technique, as I have finished almost 4 presents and they all look great!

JamOKnit
09-12-2007, 07:37 PM
I have three different skeins of Mmmmmmalabrigo so I'll be making scarves out of those....probably for my girl friends.

I was gonna do socks for my immediate family members, but it's taken me so long just to get my first pair done. I think if my first pair of clogs turn out good, I can whip a few pairs of those out in the next few months! :)

My MIL was jealous of the lace scarf I made last year for my mom so I want to make her something special too.

mdog182
09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
man i don't know what i'm going to make for everyone for christmas but i better figure it out soon! last year around thanksgiving is when i learned how to knit and got the GENIUS :rofl: idea knit everyone scarves. i was making garter stitch scarves until the wee hours of christmas eve!!!! oh my god, so boring. i need to start like, now.

Suziblues
09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Two baby blankets for my two brand new grandbabies;
Two afgans for their parents;
Maybe some pretty socks for daughter if I can do a good job;
A nice big warm afgan for my mother;
and a red hoodie for my grand son who is 8 yrs.

I better get busy!:knitting:

luv,
sue

booskibabe
09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way

:chair:

I LOVE this quote! Describes my SIL perfectly!:roflhard:

Mulderknitter - I second the thick cables! Most of my things are heavier yarn and cables - I love the "Looks hard but isn't" idea.:woohoo:

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Your dad may not SAY he likes certain tihngs. He does. He just doesn't talk abut it. Just surpise him. Think of things he HAS to have and add sometihng extra to it.

Is it cold in your area? If so, does he need a carf? Does he need a hat? Does he want a blanket or afgahn for his chair when it gets cold?

booskibabe
09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Tonight I told my dad I really wanted to make him something special for Christmas. (I'm desperate; I figured if Ijust ask him what he wants then I can't lose.) He said maybe he could use a really warm beanie or ski mask (for on his motorcycle). Now to decide on the perfect color and pattern!

I think I'm giving up on my FIL and 2 BIL's.

SabrinaJL
09-13-2007, 03:16 AM
The only thing I have planned right now is a pair of legwarmers for my mom (yes, she did ask for them). If I were a really nice daughter (and REALLY ambitious), I'd make her the blanket from the front of Cables Untangled (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11820000/11829705.jpg). She's been coveting it since she saw it. Unfortunately, I don't think my skills are quite up to making that by December and the thought of all that seaming makes me feel queasy. :roflhard:

pandaca
09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm making slippers for my mom, a stuffed animal for my best friend's baby and scarves for my grandma and aunt. I'm stumped on what to make for my dad and brother, though. Men har so much harder to knit for!

vaknitter
09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I am trying to finish my hubby's scarf (started earlier this year and it is just to gosh darn boring) so tonight I picking up lots of cascade 220 and my Fiber Trends felted clogs patterns !! Hope everyone needs to slippers !!!

knotmaker
09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
so far I have only 1 christmas knitting project I am doing the polkadot sweater from berrecco for my niece. Usually she is the only person that receives a knitted gift ... don't want to stress myself out (too much)

AnnaT
09-14-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm knitting a cardigan for my niece's Christmas/birthday present, scarves for my brother and his girlfriend, dog coats for my mil and grandmother who have little dogs, maybe the modern quilt wrap for my mother, maybe some hats for some people.

Sounds like a great list. You know, when I first learned to knit, the first thing I wanted to make was a sweater for my mother's massive 30-pound Scottish Terrier. It just didn't happen. Too bad she doesn't have a chihuahua. :mrgreen:

mwedzi
09-14-2007, 09:49 AM
1. Socks for stepfather (these were supposed to be for his b-day, but I realized it was too hot in August to think about wool socks.:rofl: Actually, I'm 1/2way through the 2nd sock)

2. Sweater for my father. This one (http://www.knitscene.com/images/fall07/highlands-zip.jpg), in black and white as the colors he requested.

3. Something for my friend in Korea. Either a cardigan or socks.

stacyk9
09-14-2007, 04:01 PM
A throw for my Grandma - she's in a nursing home and does alot of sitting in her room.

Golf club covers for my Dad.

My MIL would appreciate something handmade, but I just don't know what yet.

As far as the rest of my family, they are pretty snooty when it comes to handmade items, so I'll probably just buy them something.

Stacy

jcmom
09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been hesitating making any gifts for people because of an experience I had last year. My DH's son and wife had a 1 yr. old girl so I make her a red sweater and matching hat for Christmas. I had fun making it and made sure the yarn was soft and what I thought was a nice shade of red. No word at all as to whether they liked it, it fit, thanks for making a gift, etc. That made me wonder whether other people always appreciate the time it takes to make something by hand. I'd rather not burden them with it if they hate it. I will say I'm a good knitter and somewhat of a perfectionist so what I make is well done. So.........my question is this.......Do people appreciate your hand knit gifts?:??

Cia
09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
jcmom: see when it comes to handmade gifts I never give them to "people", I knit things for people I KNOW will appriciate the time and love that goes in to every stitch! My SO is nuts about handmade things and thinks there is no way to ever compare storebought things to handmade things. My mom is a former knitter and, as I by now have learnt more techniques than she ever knew, she thinks what I do is fairly complicated and know how timeconsuming it is. My dad is secretly impressed by my knitting. Them I wouldn't mind knitting things, but I'd be a bit more hesitant about knitting things for my sisters since they are more "materialistic" perhaps. So what's the point of my babbling? Knit things for people who appreciate it, and let the poor store-seduced ignorants remain as they are.

ctmax
09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
booskibabe I don't know if you already found a ski mask pattern but this is the one I am planning on making for my husband .

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html

Songbirdy
09-16-2007, 09:36 AM
lol! I had to laugh at what happened yesterday.

I went to a Bridal Shower for a cousin. My brother and mother were there with slippers I have knitted for them.

I got 4 requests for slippers, 'if I had the time...'

In this colour, and this width, and ...

LOL!

SusanMarie1956
09-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Songbirdy!

Those must be great slippers!!!!

Songbirdy
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
They are my Grand mother's slipper pattern. Grandma used to knit them for us all and we loved them lots and lots.

When she passed away... we used to check to see who still had their slippers. Then it got to the point that we'd only wear them on special occasions... :)

Then one day her Sister-in-law, who has cancer, called me... she was going through her stash and found Grandma's pattern... would I like it?

Since then I've knit over 40 pairs. I'm a bit of a sucker... lol!

And... well... I wore them but at our last house with really big stair cases (two) I fell down the stairs, then my kids did... and we hurt ourselves badly. So we bought other slippers.

But now we have one floor...

[sorry for getting off topic!...]

Mazie
09-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Dear songbirdy, any chance we could have a copy of that famous slipper pattern? Please?

Josette59
09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I've finished a BSJ for one granddaughter and am working on the tulip baby sweater for the other one. I made mittens for both my daughters and daughter in law. For one DD I am making a chevron scarf. I do not know what to make for my son. He doesn't wear scarves or beanies (He's 24).

Songbirdy
09-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll post the pattern in the right place later on.

It is more of a 'guide line.'

hob
09-17-2007, 05:08 PM
i have dont know wheter to give my family hand made gifts or not as i dont they would like them, sept my brother who is geting slipers i would love to make him a blanket but i dont think i have the time... i might make everyone slipers and maybe a scarf or 2.

Songbirdy
09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I've typed in my Grandma's pattern. I had to "flesh" it out a bit.

You can find it here:

Grandma Corrie's Slippers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=962976#post962976)

Mulderknitter
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Isn't that nice of you! thanks for the pattern!
I am actually quite proud of my xmas knitting so far this year, and am also sticking to the rule of no knitting complicated time consuming things for people who don't appreciate it. thus, my mom is getting a great big long chunky cabled scarf and matching mittens, and these are done! my Grandma and grandpa are getting matching cabled scarves (notice the cable theme, easy to do, looks complicated:roflhard:), these are done too. I rewarded myself by turning the heel on my second Uptown boot sock for myself, and casting on for Cozy, found on knitty.com. My stepdad is the last on my knitted gifts, and he asked for socks. But, he doesn't know how much time goes into socks, so he might just get a hat:knitting: Oh, and dh, but that is stealth knitting so I haven't cast on for that yet

mom232
09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
My DH, DD, parents, and grandparents plus my MIL all appreciate homemade gifts. I'm not sure about anyone else. I'm not sure on what to make my grandparents. Especially since they have everything in the world. LOL.

DH-Beanie he's been wanting me to make
DD-Hoodie, Tea set, Hat and maybe socks
DS-Hoodie [maybe], Bear, longies, unsure what else
Dad-Beanie he's wanted
Mom-Thinking socks, maybe a purse
Myself-Purse[Twiggy Tweed], and Totally Autumn.
G-parents-Unsure
MIL-Unsure

ChristinaKnits
09-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I've typed in my Grandma's pattern. I had to "flesh" it out a bit.

You can find it here:

Grandma Corrie's Slippers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=962976#post962976)
thank you!!!!
Right now I'm doing these ones (http://www.theirishewe.com/mt-static/2006/04/two_needle_slippers.shtml) for my kiddo and my nieces/nephews, but now I wanna try yours!!!! I have discovered that everyone likes slippers, even in hot weather, people's feet get cold ;)

Eir
09-19-2007, 05:52 AM
My grandmother is an awesome knitter/handicrafter, so I'd like to ask her to create something for me... but she's really weird (getting paranoia at times etc). So I think I won't. Shame really, she is indeed very good.

Personally, as a new knitter, I'll just continue practicing to Christmas, I doubt I'll be able to knit someone something! (My goal is to be able to knit very somewhat-advanced-in-some-way gloves in the spring, so that my handicraft teachers will give me good grades, heh!)

mari_13
09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
My mom stressed me out last Christmas about her scarf being done in time so I'm leary about making anything big!

So far, it will be chunky cabled slippers for my mom and DH. Crocheted slippers for DS. A scarf for DH (maybe). Dishclothes for my mom.

pauly81
09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
OH god Chismas has realy snuck up on me, but it allways does. I don't know anyone who wears hats. I might knit some people scarfs. I don't even have my X-Mas list of people I need to buy for. I am going to knit the other stylist at the shop scarves. One girl has a small dog who picks out doggie outfit every morning. I would love to her a little sweater, but every dog sweater I make just doesn't fit right. I have been trying to knit my own dog sweaters and it's just not working out. If any of you have easy to knit dog sweater patterns I would love to give it another shot. I also have a 1 year old nephew, but he refuses to wear hats I might make him a little set of booties. I found a simple pattern in DIY knitty Gritty. Good luck on all your gifts.....have fun.....and get knittin

WandaT
09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
I have so much on my list (and I've been working on it since spring!) that I sat down the other night and created a schedule for myself! LOL I've already made a few scarves and some crocheted stockings for my nieces and nephews - oh and a blanket for one of my niece's birthday. (You know, it's rough when the birthdays are in Christmas and Jan too!) But I've got so many more things going. Here are some of what I have planned:

Poncho and purse for my niece (4yo)
Felted wine cozies w/charms (4 or 5) ... and I'd like one too!
A couple sets of fingerless gloves
A couple of oven mit sets
Several HP dishcloths
Several more scarves
Felted purse for my 10 yo niece (that's a birthday gift but since her BD is 12/29 it has to be included in my plans)
Felted bowl

Whew! I'm tired just thinking of it all. I just finished a couple of crochet pieces for my sister for her birthday (10/5). They are so cute! And I'm finishing a felted tote for ME today ... just have to finish one handle and felt it - of course then I'll have to go browse fabric to line it too. :D

Oh and I saw this crocheted pattern for an afghan that looks like flannel ... so I want to make that for my Dad. His birthday is Jan 5, so if I don't get it done in time for Xmas, I'll give it to him for his birthday - which gets overlooked most of the time anyway b/c it's so close to Xmas.

OK, I've rambled enough now ...

miccisue
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
This year it's dishcloths for everyone.:knitting:

I've done scarves, headwarmers, lap robes - have pretty much run out of "basic" things to do, so decided on the dishcloths (besides that, I have a 35th class reunion coming up next year, and I'm knitting all of the little drawstring "goodie bags" to tuck our giveaway souveniers in so I'm about stretched to the limit for time, LOL!).:eyes::clink:

Quiltlady
09-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Last year I knit for everyone! This year I only plan to knit for my dd's step daugther who is 12. :knitting:

So far thats all the knitting I plan to do for the holidays.

Tinker
09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmm... Christmas again! Lemme see.... 3 scarves, 2 pair socks, 1 heart sachet, bath mitt & puffie, lamp shade cover (for moi), and whatever else I have time and fancy for.

hemmingway
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I haven't planned anything out for family yet. i guess i should get started on that.

I am making an elephant hat for a white elephant gift exchange that a lucky friend will get.

Knitter78
09-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Okay, I'm going to be knitted out by the time I finish these, if I can, never done it, but I'm gonna try. Here goes:

5 Quick and Finish throws for 4 nephews and 1 niece.

If I have time I want to knit also:

4 more Quick and Finish throws for 2 sisters, 1 brother, and my friend's daughter.

So, I do not know if I'll make it, but I'm gonna give it my all. I've only been knitting for a little over a year, and have completed only 2 shawls. So, we will see how this goes...wish me luck....ha!

Mockle
09-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Oh uh ...Christmas seems so far but really it is not.

I am making 2x baby shoes with seed stitch
1x luxury yarn shawl ( 1/4 of the way...much defrogging already)
1x baby blanket (almost finished that one) :yay: been working on it since march :hair:
1x kidsilk feather and lace scarf

And if have some more time a pair of noro socks

Phewwwww I better get on to it :teehee: