PDA

View Full Version : Skinny yarn for socks?

Suziblues
09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I am attempting to post a picture of some beautiful yarn I have. The only thing is, I am kind of a new knitter person and I would like to know if this yarn is too skinny to knit socks. It is Merino (spell?) 100% wool and really soft. I put a ruler next to a strand to maybe help see how skinny it is.
Would this be more for lace? The lady who sold it to me said it is fingering yarn for socks, but it just seems so skinny to me!
THANK YOU so much for any advice,
sue

Aello
09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure, but that could be fingering weight. I'm sorry, it's a bit hard for me to really see, thick glasses and all lol.
Was there a label on the skein when she sold it to you? That could be helpful. If not I am sure someone will let you know.

Edit to say maybe you can knit up a swatch on size 1 needles and see what the gauge is. That would be perfect!

Suziblues
09-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Maybe a couple more pictures of the yarn will help? I will knit up a swatch too using size 1 or 2 needles.

Thank you for any info regarding this yarn.
sue

mwedzi
09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Yarn to knit socks with is usually pretty skinny. The weight is usually called "sock weight" or "fingering weight". That looks about right. What does the label say? How many grams or ounces and how yards or meters?

Suziblues
09-12-2007, 10:24 PM
This is what the ad said:

Fingering weight,
rec' needle size: 1-3,
stitches per inch: 7-8
approximately 875 yds per skein
100% Merino Wool Handpainted

I knitted up a little swatch and used size 2 needles, there were 8 stitches to one inch.

Man, it's like knitting with a piece of thread!! I will have to get used to this!
I'm thinking I can make at least 3 pairs of ladies size socks, right?

THANK YOU
sue

bip
09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Sounds like sock weight to me. I am working with some Anne Schaeffer (Schaeffer Anne?) sock weight yarn that is the same gauge as you list above. I can't guarantee that they fit yet, I am only 1/2 way down the first leg (hence my motivation to finally learn the double knit technique mentioned on my brag thread).

I can't wait to see your finished socks!

knitncook
09-13-2007, 09:13 AM
A pair of socks generally takes around 350-375 yards (depending on pattern and length of the sock). Sock/finering weight yarn is usually sold either in 50g (220 yard) balls or in 100g (440 yard) skeins.

It does seem really small when you first start knitting with it, but it feels SO good on your feet! After a while the tiny needles don't seem all that tiny anymore. I remember the first time I held size 0 needles and thought they were like knitting with sewing pins. Now I wield them without thought!

Chel
09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree.... it looks like lovely sock yarn.

The only point I would make is that sometimes 100% merino sock yarn does not wear as well as a sock yarn with some nylon content. The nylon adds durability.

If this is a concern, you can carry along nylon on the heels and toes if you like, or simply knit at a tighter gauge in those areas. Here is an article on the subject. http://www.knittingnewscast.com/news/2006/07/reinforcing-nylon-thread-for-knitting.html

I have made socks out of 100% merino without problems. I just don't wear them with shoes where they would receive a lot of friction in the heel area.

:)

Suziblues
09-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks everybody. I will start to knit some socks right after I finish the red hoodie I'm knitting for my grand son.
I'm almost done. I will post a picture when I'm done.

When I was knitting the little swatch with this sock yarn, it felt so skinny and small! It took a minute to get used to it, I could barely see the stitches!

Thanks again!:muah:
sue

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
would lionbrand's microspun work for socks? saw some at joann's yesterday and was tempted to buy it...

Aello
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I can't wait to see your finished socks! Have fun with it.

FootballMom: I've seen people use microspun for socks, though I have never personally. I am sure if you did a forum search for "microspun socks" you'll be sure to come up with something

mwedzi
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
This is what the ad said:

Fingering weight,
rec' needle size: 1-3,
stitches per inch: 7-8
approximately 875 yds per skein
100% Merino Wool Handpainted

I knitted up a little swatch and used size 2 needles, there were 8 stitches to one inch.

Man, it's like knitting with a piece of thread!! I will have to get used to this!
I'm thinking I can make at least 3 pairs of ladies size socks, right?

THANK YOU
sue

875 yards? How many grams, does it say? 200? What is the brand? There is skinnier yarn than fingering weight, lace weight, and it really is like knitting with a piece of thread.

If it is truly fingering weight as the label says, you will definitely be able to make 2 pair of women's socks and if they aren't elaborate or really long, you should be able to do 3.

Suziblues
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
There wasn't any label on it. It was just a big, giant skien that I bought from Ebay. The woman who sold it had a very good feedback score so I'm sure she wouldn't put a bad thing for sale. (but you never know) When I found it on Ebay there was only about 1/2 hour left to the auction and the starting bid was $9.00, so I bid and I won it. I've since found other yarn from the same lady and people are bidding much more for the same type of yarn. The yarn was labeled as "Fingering Wieght Sock Yarn 100% Merino Wool".

Do you think I got a deal? Or is this really lace yarn? When I knit up a small swatch it measured about 8 stitches per inch.

The yarn is very pretty....I do like it. I think I am just not used to knitting with such small needles and such a skinny type of yarn.

Thank you,
sue

mwedzi
09-13-2007, 11:00 PM
There wasn't any label on it. It was just a big, giant skien that I bought from Ebay. The woman who sold it had a very good feedback score so I'm sure she wouldn't put a bad thing for sale. (but you never know) When I found it on Ebay there was only about 1/2 hour left to the auction and the starting bid was $9.00, so I bid and I won it. I've since found other yarn from the same lady and people are bidding much more for the same type of yarn. The yarn was labeled as "Fingering Wieght Sock Yarn 100% Merino Wool".

Do you think I got a deal? Or is this really lace yarn? When I knit up a small swatch it measured about 8 stitches per inch.

The yarn is very pretty....I do like it. I think I am just not used to knitting with such small needles and such a skinny type of yarn.

Thank you,
sue

Sue, sounds like fingering weight yarn and you just got a really really big skein. That was a really good price, actually.:thumbsup: