PDA

View Full Version : Small brag

bip
09-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I hope y'all don't mind if I share a little brag. I have been wanting to learn 2 socks on one needle using double knit since I learned of it last year (described in this Knitty article (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html)).

I sat down with it once or twice before, but didn't "get it". Well, tonight I finally decided I was going to stick with it until I got it. I took two brightly contrasting colors of worsted weight yarn, size 4 DPNs, and went for it. I have read the article many times before, but tonight I really studied the instructions, and since I wasn't trying to do it w/two balls of the same color sock weight yarn, I "got it". I can knit and purl w/o crossing the streams (um, strands). I haven't tried decreasing yet, but now that I get the concept, I think I will be able to do it.

I am so super excited! I have to thank the woman who wrote the Knitty article as well as Amy because I watched her video on double-knitting to help me better understand the concept (Amy's video is a slightly different technique, but very helpful nonetheless!)

I spend most of my knitting time frogging or otherwise trying to fix mistakes, so it's nice to have a success once in a while :happydance:

Jan in CA
09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Good for you!

sig
09-13-2007, 03:40 AM
OMG!! that looks soo hard!!! good for you! :thumbsup:

Cia
09-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Wow, that looks amazing! You should be proud! And I'm happy you bragged about it, otherwise I perhaps never would have found this tecnique...

msmelody
09-13-2007, 05:19 AM
I would love to learn how to do that. Do you have a pattern that you use, or just a general sock pattern?

Silver
09-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Niiiiice!!! :cheering: That's one way I have yet to try. :help:

Congrats on accomplishing such a feat! I figure that's analogous with climbing Mnt Everest for muggles. :notworthy:

Slim
09-13-2007, 07:41 AM
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Words fail me. You are the (wo)man.

lauraknits
09-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow!!! I tried that a while back and could NEVER get it! I am making 2 socks on one circ now so I've decided to let it go, but way to go for you!!!!

dustinac
09-13-2007, 09:11 AM
:woot:bip that is wonderful!! I want to try that as well... :woot:

knitncook
09-13-2007, 09:23 AM
:woohoo: That is great!! I totally get the theory, I am just so not coordinated to do double knit. I've tried many times and have even taught people how to do it, I just can't do it well myself. It would definitely slow me down!! Good for you, though!! That is fantastic! :notworthy: , :yay:, and :cheering: to you!

Cia
09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
:cheering: I've tried it now... it wasn't as difficult as I thought! For the first row I had to pick up and drop the yarn, but on the second row I tried that combined knitting, and it actually behaved!

bip
09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Right Cia? It isn't as hard as it seems! I think what helped me was reading a site about double knitting where it talked about getting into the rhythm.

I still need to go back and watch Amy's continental video. I can knit fine, but can't purl well at all. Makes purling that back strand very sloooowwww.

I don't need any more socks, but I think I am going to make these mittens (http://www.freevintageknitting.com/mittens/621-mittens-pattern.html)with my newfound skill. I just happen to have the perfect yarn - some really thin cashmere that my mom's friend found in sweater-form at a thrift shop.

Cia
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I still need to go back and watch Amy's continental video. I can knit fine, but can't purl well at all. Makes purling that back strand very sloooowwww.

Well acutally for me it's the opposite, I'm a continental knitter, and I have troubles keeping the tension while purling. but you're right it isn't all that difficult once one gets in to the rhythm.

msmelody
09-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Can you please tell me what site you read to explain double knitting? I have watched the video, but my brain still does not get it.

dagny
09-14-2007, 02:09 AM
:whoosh:

Maybe next year LOL

Kudos to you for being able to do that. Yeesh, I read through a bit of that and I'm feeling kind of :eyes: right now

Cia
09-14-2007, 03:25 AM
msmelody: the page I learned from is the knitty article which is linked to on the second/third row of the first post in this thread.

ArtLady1981
09-15-2007, 02:39 AM
:yay: Congrats on your success! :yay: Way to go! :yay:

losnana
09-15-2007, 10:31 AM
:cheering::cheering::happydance::happydance::yay:: yay:

Tutu Carol
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh my ... I am definately not ready for those!!