PDA

View Full Version : For Reluctant Ravelers!

ArtLady1981
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
To all Reluctant Ravelers: Hi'ya! :waving:

I have been a Raveler since August 28th 2007. After entering my profile, some "buddies" and the KH "Group"....I just stalled and stalled entering anything into MY NOTEBOOK!

I am the consummate Reluctant Raveler. Join my Club! Let's inspire one another! :grphug:

So, yesterday, I took the bull by the horns...and entered my Yarn Stash:
160 entries worth. (Yeah...you read right.) So, I finished up tonight.

It is waaay cool to click one of my yarn STASH entries...and see who else is knitting something with my same yarn, but maybe in a different color. THAT is worth a million!

Also, here was a nice feature....I had lots of yarn that I had no clue how much yardage was in the skein. Mystery Yarn. Back in the ole days, skeins did not divulge yardage...just the ounces. (eek...does that age me?:shrug:)

Well, the Ravelry software provided me with yardage info...as long as I knew something about the yarn. Sometimes I didn't know both the name of the yarn and the "company name" of the yarn. So, I entered the name of the yarn in both boxes...and clicked...and the next page gave me the correct name and the company name.

Anyhoo, if I don't do a single additional thing with MY NOTEBOOK on Ravelry...the YARN STASH is going to be very useful, I think. I have lots of patterns planned for the big bunches of yarn...15-18 skeins will build any cardigan...but whaddya do with 2,3,4 skeins that are leftover from past projects??? I mean, come on...ya can only knit so many scarves, right?

Well, if you are a Reluctant Raveler who has received your invitation, but are reluctant to jump into the pool...just wade in at the shallow end like I did. Enter your yarn data.

If you have not received your invitation...in the meantime...organize your yarn stash in a notebook...that will make your STASH entries in your Ravelry notebook go more quickly.

:woot:

suzeeq
09-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Back in the ole days, skeins did not divulge yardage...just the ounces. (eek...does that age me?:shrug:)

I have a bunch of that stuff...

I may join when it's opened up and past the beta testing. But I'm more interested in being a looky loo than having my own information in there. I keep it mostly in my head.

BostonBecca
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm on Ravelry as well and it has been great. I have found things I want to knit. I have added my stash in and can see everything made with the yarn I have.

It has also made me more confident in my knitting, because people have added my projects as favorites in a few instances.

I just added you as a friend ArtLady :) Add some of your projects!

ChristinaKnits
09-12-2007, 11:44 PM
ahhhhh...you have inspired me!!! As my stash grows bigger and bigger (I've had 3 orders to KP's in a month, plus others) I am going to need to add it in there...I'm just lazy when it comes to taking pics and uploading them...ack

Ingrid
09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll join you in about 10,000 people!:rofl:

Jan in CA
09-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Your sig link goes to the log in page..use this one.
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ArtLady
And then people like me can just click and add you to our friends! ;)

cinnamon_girl
09-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the tips!! Very cool, I'm getting anxious, but last time I checked there were almost 10,000 people still ahead of me too.
Oh wait, breaking news.... 9052 people are ahead of you in line:woohoo:

So I did start with a needle inventory recently. I checked all those circs that were lying around loose out of there original packaging. I guess I'll start on my paltry stash next. I wish I could say I have 160 entries!!! But way, there is time if I start buying now to plump up my stash.

ArtLady1981
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
ahhhhh...you have inspired me!!! As my stash grows bigger and bigger (I've had 3 orders to KP's in a month, plus others) I am going to need to add it in there...I'm just lazy when it comes to taking pics and uploading them...ack

I am still wading around in the shallow end of the pool...aka...no photos yet. Ack is right!

It might be my next thing to do...as a way of "paying it forward". :teehee: I have enjoyed the yarn photos that other Ravelers have entered.

ArtLady1981
09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Your sig link goes to the log in page..use this one.
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ArtLady
And then people like me can just click and add you to our friends! ;)

Thanks Jan! I made some changes to my Ravelry link...however...for the life of me...I couldn't get make that little Ravelry icon "hot". I just kept mixing up all the image tags and brackets. Bah Humbug.

So, I just inserted the "cold" icon...and turned my name ArtLady into the live link". SIGH.

Well, people who are interested in adding me to their buddy list will click the name ArtLady to migrate over to my profile page, I hope.

Thanks again!

ArtLady1981
09-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I'll join you in about 10,000 people!:rofl:

We eagerly await your arrival! Get ready, get set.....

Silver
09-13-2007, 07:24 AM
..and entered my Yarn Stash:
160 entries worth. (Yeah...you read right.)
:noway:

I have only added my handspun yarns and like 3 other yarns. I do not have the patience to add my entire stash... :thud:

dakatzmeow
09-13-2007, 07:46 AM
same here, silver. i've only added 2 entries of yarn. now projects, i got busy and even took photos i didn't already have. ;)

phisch
09-13-2007, 08:00 AM
You know what? Normally when I obsess, I go way, way in over my head. But, for the most part, I've been buying just what I need or for projects I really plan to work on.

(exception being when I bought 5 balls of Lion Brand microspun because it was there and they were on sale...something good has to come of that, right?)

If you ask the Yarn Ho, I'm not really and truly a knitter.

However, I am on Ravelry now and am reluctant to put my little stash up on there because It's most left overs from projects and I have absolutely no clue as to what to do with them. They're just too different from each other!

kristinw
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I actually made a spreadsheet about a year ago, so a lot of my stash was easy to enter. Now when I get new yarn, I just take a photo and enter it in. It is so much easier looking on there, rather than looking through drawers and bags and closets to see what might work for a project.

PS I'm over 100 stashed too. Oops! It grows weekly too. I seriously will never be able to knit it all. I consider myself a "collector" of fine yarns:teehee:

dustinac
09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I finally got most of my projects on... some I skipped...I tried to enter my stash and started out strong but then let that go as well... not sure if I'll get back to the stash adding or not :teehee:

PurlyGyrl
09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I'll be there in about 8,000 more people! :pout: The wait gives me time to get organized. :teehee: Yeah, right!!:roflhard:

SherKnit
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
...but last time I checked there were almost 10,000 people still ahead of me too.
Oh wait, breaking news....

If it makes you feel any better, there are 19,000 people in front of me!!! YIKES!!!!

ArtLady1981
09-13-2007, 12:01 PM
If it makes you feel any better, there are 19,000 people in front of me!!! YIKES!!!!

And, this Ravelry thing is still in its BETA stage! Phew.

Jan in CA
09-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks Jan! I made some changes to my Ravelry link...however...for the life of me...I couldn't get make that little Ravelry icon "hot". I just kept mixing up all the image tags and brackets. Bah Humbug.

When you are in your sig edit box just click the ravelry icon and it gets selected, then click the link icon and pasted your link in there. ;)

Most of my stash is just oddballs of this and that so it's impossible to put it in my stash list. I have a few though.

figaro
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I am guilty of not doing a whole heck of a lot in Ravelry yet but I have a good reason: my inlaws are here for just over a month and we are moving in about 1 week so most of my stash is downstairs in the garage boxed up. Once we get in to the new house, I will be organizing what stash I have and inputting it in then.

:woohoo: for moving!!

ArtLady1981
09-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi'ya!:waving:

Well, I was wading around in the shallow end of the pool...got my Stash entered...feelin' pretty darn good about the water...so I waded in further today...up to my knees...and entered my current WIP'S and two FO'S. Nothin' I haven't posted here at KH...but...at the Ravelry site...all of it is organized under my name. That's kinda neat.

If I wanted to see everything YOU have been up to lately...I could click your name in MY FRIENDS...and nose around your projects! Lurk? Me, lurk? Naaah.

Another interesting factoid I found out: when I entered my FO (Irish Hiking Scarf with Malabrigo Merino worsted)...the project automatically got entered into TWO other listings: 1) Malabrigo yarn projects...and 2) Irish Hiking Scarf projects.

So I migrated over to the Malabrigo yarn projects and was able to see how different colorways of Malabrigo knit up!
Migrated over to IHS projects...and viewed how the IHS looks in different colors, yarns, and some with modifications!

Well, I am up to my knees, and liking it!

Stay tuned. I might wade in up to my thighs one of these days! ;)

elicrochet
09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I am on there as Elicrochet (go figure). I don't have much entered yet. I am over overseas right now,so that is why I have been slow.

CindyS
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Wow, thank you so much for posting this. As a new knitter, I think I'll actually have a slight advantage when I finally get to join in...I only own five yarns so far. (ducking the flying needles heading my way)

chrislt8
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I got all my stash in and was surprised at how much I actually had - remember I'm a new knitter, how did I get this much so quickly?!?:roflhard: I even put in my "bits and pieces" left over from other projects - never know when it will be just what I want for some color work, etc., and this way I won't forget I have it! Since I'm a bit of an "organizational freak" Ravelry is a perfect tool for me. I'm loving that part of it - plus it is so helpful to see the different projects in the different yarns as I am trying to learn more and more about the various fibers out there. The "social" side of it is a bit overwhelming to me, so many groups, etc. I am more comfortable here in the smaller forum for "knit talk", but I do love the organization/research/project part of Ravelry :thumbsup:

chrislt8
09-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Okay, ArtLady, I just went over and looked at your stash...guess I don't have all that much :roflhard:

rebecca
09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
:noway:

I have only added my handspun yarns and like 3 other yarns. I do not have the patience to add my entire stash... :thud:

I'm with ya, Knitsta Sista! When we (meaning Lonnie) remodel the bedroom and I have to take everything out, I'll do it then...and my stash isn't even big, I just don't wanna do it, what can I say :shrug:, doesn't sound like fun to me right now...I'm a bad Ravelrier...I've input my books, those that are allowed, I can't get the others to input from the Library site.

DragonsChest
09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, thank you so much for posting this. As a new knitter, I think I'll actually have a slight advantage when I finally get to join in...I only own five yarns so far. (ducking the flying needles heading my way)

Don't worry - those five yarns will have a party while you're not looking, knock back a few drinks, and by the morning, they'll have undergone mitosis and you'll have ten yarns. You can't stop stash growth - it's what yarn does! :yay:

baronreads
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
ACK, I've been away it seems like for AGES! Like just got too hectic! I'm so glad you posted this. It made me log in to Ravelry which I haven't done since I joined. You are my first friend and I joined the KH group too. I'll have to check it all out over the weekend. I "should" add my stash now while it isn't too big! ;) See you over there!

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, I got all my stash in and was surprised at how much I actually had - remember I'm a new knitter, how did I get this much so quickly?!?:roflhard: I even put in my "bits and pieces" left over from other projects - never know when it will be just what I want for some color work, etc., and this way I won't forget I have it! Since I'm a bit of an "organizational freak" Ravelry is a perfect tool for me. I'm loving that part of it - plus it is so helpful to see the different projects in the different yarns as I am trying to learn more and more about the various fibers out there. The "social" side of it is a bit overwhelming to me, so many groups, etc. I am more comfortable here in the smaller forum for "knit talk", but I do love the organization/research/project part of Ravelry :thumbsup:

Hi'ya Chris! :waving:

I know what you mean about "overwhelming". But, I take it a step at a time. I'm still standing here in the shallow end of the pool. I only belong to one Group: KH. Period. And, I added all my fellow KH-ers in MY FRIENDS.

I took one more step outside the comfort zone tonight. I am knitting BORGHILD (started it for the KH August Challenge)...it is posted in MY PROJECTS...and I noticed that only one other knitter is working on Borghild. So I sent her a message, inviting her to be my knitting buddy for the project. Asked her how far along is she...and told her of my progress and one "brick wall" I hit...and overcame.

So, if she feels the need for a knitting buddy for BORGHILD...she has one!

That is a cool feature on Ravelry. You can find others who are suffering (or dancing!) through the same projects that you are!

And doesn't it feel kinda wierd :aww:when you nose through other Raveler's Stash?

Kinda feels like looking through someones' bookcase when they're not home! :teehee:

I really really do appreciate being able to view all of someone's projects. There is some really inspirational knitting. Some complicated, some simple!

The cross referencing is neat, too.

Well, I am off to bed. :sleepy: See ya tomorrow!

Ronda
09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
I must admit, I've stalled big time with Ravelry! I really need to sit down, take a look at things there, and add my "stuff."

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I must admit, I've stalled big time with Ravelry! I really need to sit down, take a look at things there, and add my "stuff."

You have lots of friends still wading around in the shallow end of the pool! Take my hand....here we go! I am in up to my knees. Feels good! :thumbsup:

sinistral_needler
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I see that they invited about 350 people today. Things are moving along! :D

AnotherBecca
09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow! That looks really awesome! The features look incredible...and, even though I can barely manage all of the on-line blogs/boards/etc. that I already take part in (hence the long absences from knittinghelp), I couldn't resist getting on the waiting list...surely I can add one more thing to my plate, right? Too bad 19,900 people are in front of me!

Mulderknitter
09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I just got in, seriously about 5 min ago. I am a bit bemused by the flikr thing, could'nt get my flikr pics to ravelry, and after browsing around for about 10 min felt like I was in a big huge mall that had tons of great stuff but was unsure as how to "unravell" it for myself. I am very excieted:yay: that I am in now, but a bit confuzzuled yet on how to get my actual stuff on it. I'm sure just like everything else it will work out. I have to say though, with all of the bits and pieces, this has got to be one of the most BRILLIANT ideas I have seen since the LYS/coffee house!:muah:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Ew...do you have to use flikr, or can you host them on your own site? I don't want to have to move pictures around and keep track of extra things.

Jen17
09-14-2007, 08:58 PM
you are lucky! There are 11,425 people ahead of me! I wonder how long await it will be. It said 38% of the people have been invited so far!
Jen

Jen17
09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I see that you are in Okinawa, Japan, my daughter just got stationed there last month with her husband and 3 children. I talked to her this morning 9/14/2007 and a typhoon was headed towards the island! Are you stationed there?
Jen

Jen17
09-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow! That looks really awesome! The features look incredible...and, even though I can barely manage all of the on-line blogs/boards/etc. that I already take part in (hence the long absences from knittinghelp), I couldn't resist getting on the waiting list...surely I can add one more thing to my plate, right? Too bad 19,900 people are in front of me!

I have 11,425 ahead of me! I already wrote that here, but I' new to this replying stuff and did it wrong, lol. Anyway I also wrote asking if you were stationed on Okinawa and wondering if you got the typhoon today. Sorry about that!
Jen

Susan P.
09-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I am curious, given that I am sure a number of yarn or other related businesses will be very interested in ravelry, has anyone been approached to do research on behalf of a business or anything similar? Or is anyone thinking of setting up a business based upon what you can see in the site? Two different issues there but I am curious (as suggested).

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I just got in, seriously about 5 min ago. I am a bit bemused by the flikr thing, could'nt get my flikr pics to ravelry, and after browsing around for about 10 min felt like I was in a big huge mall that had tons of great stuff but was unsure as how to "unravell" it for myself. I am very excieted:yay: that I am in now, but a bit confuzzuled yet on how to get my actual stuff on it. I'm sure just like everything else it will work out. I have to say though, with all of the bits and pieces, this has got to be one of the most BRILLIANT ideas I have seen since the LYS/coffee house!:muah:

Hi'ya Mulder!

1) Get your New Project all set up...the pattern, the yarn, notes, progress, etc...then click SAVE.down by the comment box.
2) After it saves, click Edit Photos up at the top left (tab)
3) A FLICKR thing will appear at the bottom of the project's page.
4) Click your Flickr user name, or click Search and all your Flicker photos will upload right there at the bottom.
5) Just drag and drop the photos that you want to insert into that particular Project. You can even re-arrange them in a different order after you have dragged them up there by re-dragging them.They are automatically saved into your project.

I hope this helps.

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 10:58 PM
I am curious, given that I am sure a number of yarn or other related businesses will be very interested in ravelry, has anyone been approached to do research on behalf of a business or anything similar? Or is anyone thinking of setting up a business based upon what you can see in the site? Two different issues there but I am curious (as suggested).

Hi Susan! :waving: I'm not quite sure...but I did read that Ravelry will allow knitting-related advertisements after the Beta stage is complete. This will allow for the Ravelry site to remain "free", no yearly fees...no "one-time" join fees.

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Ew...do you have to use flikr, or can you host them on your own site? I don't want to have to move pictures around and keep track of extra things.

Hi! :waving: I'm not sure. I do know that the software is linked to the Flickr photohost. When ya get a project all set up and click SAVE...then you can click EDIT PHOTOS...and all your Flickr uploaded photos appear at the bottom of the page...ready for you to just drag and drop the photo(s) you want to share with others for that particular project.

I was also reluctant to add photos into Flickr when I have them saved in Photobucket for KH insertion. However...Flickr works so smoothly with the Ravelry software. All my knitting photos were already re-sized for internet insertion...so all's I had to do was upload them into Flickr. BTW: Flickr photo uploads work as fast as lightening...much quicker than Photobucket!

Give it a try with just a few. Add a photo or two as you go along adding a project or two into your Ravelry projects.
It is less pain that way. :thumbsup:

dakatzmeow
09-15-2007, 10:28 AM
and remember, you really aren't REQUIRED to enter your stash or projects. i have chosen to enter my projects, and i've only entered 2-3 yarns in my stash. i'm just not there yet. kwim?

Mulderknitter
09-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I just went through and tried to add as many of you that I saw were in to my friends list! see you on the ravelry!

AnotherBecca
09-16-2007, 03:06 AM
I have 11,425 ahead of me! I already wrote that here, but I' new to this replying stuff and did it wrong, lol. Anyway I also wrote asking if you were stationed on Okinawa and wondering if you got the typhoon today. Sorry about that!
Jen

Jen,
Yes, I am stationed on Okinawa, for about 10 more months! The typhoon came and went without much ado. They tend to come in the middle of the night, and I just sleep right through!

Thought I'd add that I'm about 400 closer to the front of the line now! Woo-hoo!

ArtLady1981
09-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Jen,
Yes, I am stationed on Okinawa, for about 10 more months! The typhoon came and went without much ado. They tend to come in the middle of the night, and I just sleep right through!

Thought I'd add that I'm about 400 closer to the front of the line now! Woo-hoo!

Well, the longer the wait, the better the Ravelry software performs. They are in their Beta stage, with lots of work to do yet. The site is very useable as it is...but, by the time you get on board, it will be even better.

We will await your landing!

AnotherBecca
09-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Well, the longer the wait, the better the Ravelry software performs. They are in their Beta stage, with lots of work to do yet. The site is very useable as it is...but, by the time you get on board, it will be even better.

We will await your landing!

That's a good way to look at it! Thanks! In the mean time, I suppose I could be working on some projects to post, couldn't I?!?

suecq
09-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Becca,
My husband was stationed in Okinawa many years ago. He was at Kadena and I worked at Sukeran. We lived in the Awase area. Many good memories.

ArtLady1981
09-16-2007, 08:28 PM
That's a good way to look at it! Thanks! In the mean time, I suppose I could be working on some projects to post, couldn't I?!?

Yup! Exactly!

1) Get all your knitting related digital photos cropped and resized.
2) Get all your stash data organized.
3) For posting your projects, you will need info like: pattern name, source, needles used, date started, date finished if applicable, yarn used, your comments and notes about the pattern.
4) Put all your knitting related photos into your Flickr.
5) Install (free) Mozilla's FIREFOX internet browser.

If you have any questions about anything at all...POST! :thumbsup:

See ya at the Ravelry Ranch real soon! In the meantime, you should poke around in some of the Raveler's cupboards and see what they have, and what they are working on! I just love snooping around in Raveler's cupboards! Of course, for those that are privacy minded: you can't see anything the Raveler hasn't made public already! :eyebrow:

ChristinaKnits
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Artlady,
I told you...you inspired me...I am slowly going deeper...the shallow end is safe, but boring ;) Lookie what I did last night (http://www.ravelry.com/people/ChristinaKnits/stash), and I haven't even begun the Knit Picks stash *ugh*

syndactylus
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
artlady, thanks for being my very first friend!
:muah:

ArtLady1981
09-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Artlady,
I told you...you inspired me...I am slowly going deeper...the shallow end is safe, but boring ;) Lookie what I did last night (http://www.ravelry.com/people/ChristinaKnits/stash), and I haven't even begun the Knit Picks stash *ugh*

Hi! :waving:
Way to go girl!!!! :cheering:

I also began by entering my stash. Having your stash entered is a gateway into the Ravelry network! By entering your stash...you can take a peek at what others are doing, or have done, with that yarn! You will see links on your yarn page. The box says "About your Yarn"...and in that box will be a link that states how many projects have been entered into the Ravelry database using your yarn! It is a nice, useful feature!

Now, let's see about your KP stash!!! :teehee:

Prazzie
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm also a new knitter and very careful with THE STASH. When I took up scrapbooking, the best tip I got was to always take your photographs to the store and buy the cardstock you are going to use. Otherwise you'll end up with a STASH of paper and no pictures that go with them.

I've tried (very hard) to keep this tip in mind for my knitting. Unless you've been naughty since your post, we have the same size stash - I also have five skeins that have not been purchased for any other reason than "PRETTY! I WANT!". The rest are all in use or with a definite project planned, so they don't count...

I've added my name to the list, the site looks very useful. I only added my name today, so I am #34033 on the list. 19669 people are ahead of me in line. :nails:

Thanks for posting about this, ArtLady.

ArtLady1981
09-19-2007, 05:14 PM
artlady, thanks for being my very first friend!
:muah:

Hi'ya Syndactlus! :waving: My privilege! All of us KH sisters and brothers gotta stick together over at the Ravelry Ranch!!

ArtLady1981
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm also a new knitter and very careful with THE STASH. When I took up scrapbooking, the best tip I got was to always take your photographs to the store and buy the cardstock you are going to use. Otherwise you'll end up with a STASH of paper and no pictures that go with them.

I've tried (very hard) to keep this tip in mind for my knitting. Unless you've been naughty since your post, we have the same size stash - I also have five skeins that have not been purchased for any other reason than "PRETTY! I WANT!". The rest are all in use or with a definite project planned, so they don't count...

I've added my name to the list, the site looks very useful. I only added my name today, so I am #34033 on the list. 19669 people are ahead of me in line. :nails:

Thanks for posting about this, ArtLady.

Hi'ya Prazzie! :waving: U R Welcome! Your wait time will go quickly!
You are right about "stashing" yarn, or any other craft materials for that matter. I have been sucked into buying yarn without a project in mind...and here is the big problem with that: not enough yarn to make something! I mostly knit garments...and so many times I have NOT had enough of a certain yarn for a project. Sigh. So then it is onwards and upwards in the PATTERN SEARCH! Sigh.

I don't do that anymore...or....if I spot a FABULOUS YARN that I KNOW I have patterns for...I just buy a boatload of it. I do some quick math and buy the yardage I know will make almost any cardigan I want. If I have extra yarn...I make a scarf, hat or wristlets, etc. The lady at my LYS will also take unused skeins back if within a reasonable time.

Well, the software over at the Ravelry Ranch has feature in your notebook called : Queues. As you find a yarn that fits a project...you enter the "match" in your QUEUES. You can even arrange them in the order that you want to knit them...who they are for, etc. I like that. I entered about 14 QUEUES in my cupboard last night.

Previous to this, my "matches" had been written down of 3x5 cards paper-clipped together. One card has the pattern data, the other card has the yarn data. If I change my mind about the "match", I un-clip them...and put them back into the "looking for a mate" pool!

misha rf
09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought I had all my stash in there, but I've found a few odd balls here & there recently. I did a stash reorganization, & added it all as I reorganized it. (119 entries! Ack!) I didn't do much in the way of individual photos, though, Group shots, and then re-centered them once I added them in Ravelry. So it looks funny. I don't care.

ElenTikvah
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I finally got my invitation to Ravelry tonight! I'm so excited! ...but I have to admit, that so far, my stash is embarassingly small...but maybe that just means that I'll have a chance to easily update my Ravelry info! :)

~Tik

ArtLady1981
09-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I finally got my invitation to Ravelry tonight! I'm so excited! ...but I have to admit, that so far, my stash is embarassingly small...but maybe that just means that I'll have a chance to easily update my Ravelry info! :)

~Tik

Welcome to the Ravelry Ranch, Elen! :waving: What is your nickname over there? And be sure to join the Knitting Help Group! See ya over there!

Prazzie
09-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Previous to this, my "matches" had been written down of 3x5 cards paper-clipped together. One card has the pattern data, the other card has the yarn data. If I change my mind about the "match", I un-clip them...and put them back into the "looking for a mate" pool!

Hello ArtLady. I've read some of your other posts, including the nice tutorial on making stitch markers. I could tell (and you stated) that you were very organized, but sheesh! Those cards are a brilliant idea.

I should stop reading this thread, because reading about what we can do on Ravelry is making me drool in anticipation. I should also stop checking the queue, because I've still got 18929 people ahead of me.

ArtLady1981
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Hello ArtLady. I've read some of your other posts, including the nice tutorial on making stitch markers. I could tell (and you stated) that you were very organized, but sheesh! Those cards are a brilliant idea.

I should stop reading this thread, because reading about what we can do on Ravelry is making me drool in anticipation. I should also stop checking the queue, because I've still got 18929 people ahead of me.

Hi'ya Prazzie! :waving: I checked on my "number" in line only once every 4 weeks. I had just about given up...thinking it would be after January 2008...then...VOILA....my number was up!

Yeah, I started doing the 3x5 cards because I was just sick and tired of spending ALL NIGHT rummaging through books and leaflets for a pattern for some yarn I wanted to use...finding nothing...and going down to the LYS to get spend yet another few hours rummaging through her patterns! Sigh.

So, now when I find a pattern I like and want to knit within a year...I write it down on a 3x5 card. You saw all the specs and data I write down...then, most importantly, I put the book or mag in a basket next to me.

I started doing the same with favorite yarns.

The beauty of the system is: when I lay out all the "unmarried" yarn cards next to all the "unmarried" pattern cards...I can easily see who goes with who...based on stitch gauge, yardage, and then of course, color and fiber.

I put the "engaged" couples together...and the singles go back into the waiting line!

No more RUMMAGING! :woot:

AnotherBecca
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi'ya Prazzie! :waving: I checked on my "number" in line only once every 4 weeks. I had just about given up...thinking it would be after January 2008...then...VOILA....my number was up!

Wow, you have willpower! I check twice a day--once in the morning, and once at night. I usually move up 200-400 places each day. Which now means I might be in in 57 days! Again, all this time I'm spending checking & calculating could be better used actually knitting something, huh? I did begin taking pictures of my stash!

sandclove
09-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey, so I'm finally in and wading the waters, but I can't figure out how to upload my photos from flickr. Grrr. The help section doesn't say much but make sure the photos are "public" (which, they are). Any ideas??

lelvsdgs
09-28-2007, 01:36 PM

That's about where I am... they say patience is a virtue...

BostonBecca
09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
If you go to the add pictures page and click on the search button on the bottom, it brings up all your pictures.

JingleBell
09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Whoa...I just got on the list today...long line and I'm at the very end of it. :shock: ...for the moment. ;)

"You are #37312 on the list.
17425 people are ahead of you in line.
0 people are behind you in line."

Prazzie
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm down to checking once a day and as far as I can tell, they are inviting about 1000 people per day. At this rate, I'll be getting my invitation in about two weeks' time, since there are 14000 people ahead of me. 52% of the list invited so far.

This is probably a good thing, because I am moving house. I won't have internet access for a while, until I get the line installed in the new place. So instead of organising my ravelry account, I'm going to be organising my new cupboards.

hortonx5
09-28-2007, 03:58 PM
I hadn't heard of Ravelry until I looked at this thread. Shows how out of the "loop" I am. Oh well, it looks like a really neat site...and I can use all the organizing help I can get!

I signed up for the waiting list and there are only 17486 people ahead of me. And two behind me, so I'm not last!

I'm number 37373 on the list. That has to mean something good. :mrgreen:

DQ
09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I should sign up or not...is it really that good? :??:shrug:

ArtLady1981
09-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I should sign up or not...is it really that good? :??:shrug:

It is...and I am the original Reluctant Raveler! :aww:

Sign up, it's free...when you get eventually get your "invitation"...try it out!

Start by adding the free Mozilla FIREFOX browser.
Then, open a free Flickr photo account.
You will need them both.
(FYI: if you are using IE6 or IE7, you don't have to delete them from your computer. But, make FIREFOX your default browser, if you haven't already. If you are using Photobucket already, and dread the thought of transferring all those photos...DON'T...do like I did: I just add photos to Flickr as I need them for use in Ravelry)

Start by adding your yarn stash data.
Then, add any projects you are currently working on.
Join our KNITTING HELP group over there at the Ravelry Ranch!

Everything at Ravelry is interconnected. If I am knitting or have knit an Irish HIking Scarf using Malabrigo...when I open my IHS project page...I can click on two links that take me to all the Raveler's Malabrigo projects...and/or to all the Ravelers' IHS projects. I can then get ideas how the IHS looks with other's yarns...or I can see what things others are knitting with Malabrigo!

I can access many patterns on Ravelry, yarns, etc.

One thing that I especially like: when you click on someone's profile, you can see everything he or she has entered (thereby making it public) and is doing, stashing, wants to do, might do...and their comments on projects.

Over here at KH, it is a little different. Our personalities are spread all over the many threads and posts. You can get to know people little by little by the posts that they contribute, the projects that they post photos of, etc.

KH and Ravelry are complementary to one another, IMHO.

But, If I could only chose one to stay with...I would pick KH without a doubt.

Hope to see ya over at the Ravelry Ranch someday! :thumbsup:

DQ
09-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Hmmm...you are tempting me...but one question...why do you have to use Firefox? :??

ArtLady1981
09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Hmmm...you are tempting me...but one question...why do you have to use Firefox? :??

I don't know. The Ravelry "shop owners" said FIREFOX browser works better with Ravelry, and as a matter of fact...I think Sheldon here at KH agrees that FIREFOX works better with KH, too.

The Ravelry folks have a "free FIREFOX" download link. It works like a charm. When you get to it, you can also have all of your favorite bookmarks in IE downloaded into the FIREFOX bookmarks. So you don't lose a thing.

I don't use IE at all anymore. I heard it is an awful browser, but it is all I had ever known. I could go on and on about the superiority of FIREFOX over IE...from my own experiences with both, but why bore you? :eyes:

If you try it, you'll find out!:thumbsup:

G J
09-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, my feet are wet! I got my invitation a week or so ago, and have put in a few FO's and some stash. I don't have a big stash. I'm kind of like you, Prazzie. I don't buy stuff unless I have a specific PLAN and know I'll get to it.

But I added a bunch of you as friends! :hug: I'm not sure what that does, but I like having friends, so there you go.

DQ
09-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I don't know. The Ravelry "shop owners" said FIREFOX browser works better with Ravelry, and as a matter of fact...I think Sheldon here at KH agrees that FIREFOX works better with KH, too.

The Ravelry folks have a "free FIREFOX" download link. It works like a charm. When you get to it, you can also have all of your favorite bookmarks in IE downloaded into the FIREFOX bookmarks. So you don't lose a thing.

I don't use IE at all anymore. I heard it is an awful browser, but it is all I had ever known. I could go on and on about the superiority of FIREFOX over IE...from my own experiences with both, but why bore you? :eyes:

If you try it, you'll find out!:thumbsup:

We used to have another browser on our old computer...I think it might have been firefox but I'm not sure. I suppose it would be ok to try it...Hmmm...

Thanks for your replies :hug:

*goes and jumps in the queue*

DQ
09-29-2007, 04:54 AM
You are #37535 on the list.
17495 people are ahead of you in line.
1 people are behind you in line.
52% of the list has been invited so far

Eep! At least I'm not last :teehee:

misstialouise
09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Firefox is SO much better than IE, and I've only been using it less than a week! The drag to click buttons (you'll know what I mean once you get in) don't work with IE 7.

I still haven't entered all my stash... it's a bit of a daunting process. Someone mentioned getting it all written down first in a notepad so when your invite comes in, it's easy to enter. I wish I listened :S

chillawilla
09-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I just got in a couple hours ago.

Holy Moly there's a lot to look at!

Look at all the groups..

Where to begin? :teehee:

tropicallie
09-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Artlady, thank you so much for posting your experience on Ravelry. I've been a member for well over 2 months and have done absolutely NOTHING there. I've been bouncing back and forth between this thread and Ravelry all evening. I had NO idea what all was there or what the big deal was. Not only did I add stash (OK, it was just one type of yarn - but it's a start) but I laughed till I cried at the "ugh" pics. Definately can relate to THAT part of Ravelry. It's really neat to see what everyone else has knit using the same yarn. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you because I would be missing out on all this if you hadn't started this thread.
Tropicallie

ArtLady1981
10-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I just got in a couple hours ago.

Holy Moly there's a lot to look at!

Look at all the groups..

Where to begin? :teehee:

Hi'ya Chilla! :waving:

I would join just one or two groups to start. Then, you can reasonably keep up with them. I joined just two: KnittingHelp Group, of course, and MALABRIGO JUNKIES!

Begin just by entering your stash. That will get your feet wet! :thumbsup:

I next put in a project or two...entering the photos of those projects into my FLICKR account as I needed them.

I did not take photos of all my yarns in my stash, however I will add photos as I am able.

Welcome aboard, Chilla! :woot:

ArtLady1981
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Artlady, thank you so much for posting your experience on Ravelry. I've been a member for well over 2 months and have done absolutely NOTHING there. I've been bouncing back and forth between this thread and Ravelry all evening. I had NO idea what all was there or what the big deal was. Not only did I add stash (OK, it was just one type of yarn - but it's a start) but I laughed till I cried at the "ugh" pics. Definately can relate to THAT part of Ravelry. It's really neat to see what everyone else has knit using the same yarn. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you because I would be missing out on all this if you hadn't started this thread.
Tropicallie

Hi'ya Tropicallie! :waving: You are very very welcome! And I know exactly how you felt because I did, too! But, before I wasted the opportunity (by not using it at least a little) I wanted to give it a try! I started by just wading in at the shallow end...and by gum...the water's fine so far! I'm up to my thighs now! ;)

I do like how everything is interconnected...yarns, patterns, etc...and I like the fact that I can see everything a certain knitter has graciously made available for viewing!

Welcome! If we haven't already done so...add me as your buddy over there at the Ravelry Ranch!

Hugs! :grphug:

Prazzie
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, my feet are wet! I got my invitation a week or so ago, and have put in a few FO's and some stash. I don't have a big stash. I'm kind of like you, Prazzie. I don't buy stuff unless I have a specific PLAN and know I'll get to it.

I'm glad to hear you are in and getting busy. Not having a stash seems to have multiple benefits. Entering your stash info on Ravelry is easy. You don't have yarn storage problems or even worse - yarn-attacking-you-when-you-open-the-cupboard problems. You don't feel any stash guilt - what you need is what you have is what you knit. You don't have any significant other glaring problems - "what? MORE yarn?" :tap:.

In fact, the only problem I have is my overwhelming envy of those with truckloads of yarn!

sandclove
10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Boston Becca,
I seem to have figured out the photo thing. Now to find more then two friends...

ArtLady1981
10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Hi again!

I have heard that lots of KH brothers and sisters are getting their invitations to the Ravelry Ranch, as I affectionately call it!

Someone asked me the other day: do you think Ravelry participation will slow down KH participation?

No! Whereas they are similar in many ways...they are dissimilar in many ways. Each has it's place in a knitter's life!

I think KnittingHelp excels in inter-communication and I think Ravelry excels in knitting-connectedness. Is that a word? IMHO, each is important.

I look upon KnittingHelp as "home"...and I look upon Ravelry as "summer camp"! :teehee:

If you are a Reluctant Raveler...reluctant to jump in and get busy entering data and photos to your Ravelry Notebook...
just get started little by little. Give it a chance to be useful for you! It is not as daunting as it looks, and it is much more useful than it appears to be at first glance. :thumbsup:

knitgal
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Don't you feel like you're cheating on KH? I joined crafster and felt guilty and came right back to KH!

MrsDavis3
10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I received an invitation but have done nothing yet.

I'm wondering if there is a word for someone who finds it impossible to open a second Yahoo account because she knows she already has one but it was opened with an old email address and she doesn't remember the user ID and password but knows it exists so she can't do flickr because she can't access that old yahoo account and because of some psychopathologic process won't open a new one so she hasn't done any Ravelling yet.

ArtLady1981
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Don't you feel like you're cheating on KH? I joined crafster and felt guilty and came right back to KH!

No guilt. KH is a knitting forum, first and foremost, featuring knitting help and communication with other knitters. KH excels!

Ravelry is a "knitting showcase". Ravelers showcase their projects and paraphenalia in their own "notebook" for two reasons: 1) to organize their projects, yarns, et al in one location, and 2) to share such with other Ravelers. The end result is a great cross-referencing! The more data that is entered by more and more Ravelers makes the "knitting showcase" a larger and larger comprehensive living knitter's encyclopedia.

Although it is possible to communicate with other knitters at Ravelry, the communication is best right here at homebase: KH!

No guilt here.:woot:

suzeeq
10-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I found craftster first and still read it. I don't post as much there, but get a lot of good ideas from the posted pattern pictures. I never would have knit an entrelac scarf if I hadn't seen the one made from SWS. I never thought much of the original Danica in two colors; to me the pattern looks better in a self striping yarn.

sinistral_needler
10-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Is it just me, or have they sent out no invites today? I feel bad for being impatient .. but I am getting so close!!!

annomalley
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM

I don't feel guilty for the same reasons Artlady mentioned. I should be working on uploading my pictures, but it's also a lot of fun just to sit and browse all the patterns and projects.

knitgal
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I still have over 13000 people in front of me in line for Ravelry, otherwise I know I would be addicted. I guess I just don't know the differences between KH and Ravelry yet, since I have never been on Ravelry! I desperately want to enter some yarn that I received as a gift to figure out what I can make from it....you can do that right? Enter a yarn and it comes out with what other people have made from it?

ArtLady1981
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I think the direct competition (if you can call it that) is Knitter's Review Forum and the Knitters Forum at About.com

I used to partake in those Forums, and I learned a lot.

But then I found the KNITTING HELP forum, and it is so superior to the others! I don't have time to keep up with more than one knitters' communication Forum...matter 'o' fact...somedays it is hard to keep up with all the stuff here at KH! I try to peek in at Whatcha Knitting...and General...and Knitalongs...but cripes...where does the time go????

Anyhoo...I certainly WOULD NOT participate in the Ravelry site if it did not offer something USEFUL and DIFFERENT.

It really really does. KH and Ravelry are perfect partners!
Complementary to one another!

Even the owner of my LYS is a Ravelry member! She just got her invite this week! TeeHee! I wonder what HER STASH will look like!?? I can hardly wait to nose around!
TeeHee! Her user name is Noble1 at Ravelry! Stop by to say hello and welcome her! We want her to feel the love of KnittingHelp Knitters, don't we??!! Her real name is Nancy and her LYS is Renaissance Yarns in Kent, Washington. Yeah, just 3 blocks from me house! :pout: THAT is utterly dangerous! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I still have over 13000 people in front of me in line for Ravelry, otherwise I know I would be addicted. I guess I just don't know the differences between KH and Ravelry yet, since I have never been on Ravelry! I desperately want to enter some yarn that I received as a gift to figure out what I can make from it....you can do that right? Enter a yarn and it comes out with what other people have made from it?

Yes!

And today, I clicked on a link for the MALABRIGO yarn...and there were 59 pages chock full of MALABRIGO yarn that others have stashed and posted! How cool is that? I certainly got an EYE FULL of the different colorways...and then you can click on any of them and it takes you to the person who posted that color...and you can see what all she is doing with it, or not doing with it, and what all else she is doing and stashing in general.

Then, CLICK!...you can go back to the MALABRIGO yarn page!

Conversely, you can click on any pattern that someone has posted, and see how others are knitting the pattern up and with what yarn, what needles, alterations made...etc.

The cross-referencing is endless.

I saw a girl today who has 7 skeins of BUTTER color MALABRIGO...and in her comments she said she has no idea what to do with it all.

I was able to post a response to her, and gave her links to 3 patterns that will use up her 7 skeins: a vest, scarf and hat.

I got all three patterns right from Ravelry. Two were my own projects, and one was a hat project that someone else knit with one skein of MALABRIGO...that I have my eye on.
I saved the hat in MY FAVS folder in my Ravelry notebook.

Looking forward to seeing you over there soon!

chrislt8
10-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree with everyone that KH and Ravelry are perfect companions! Ravelry is a great data base, research resource - find lots of ideas, information and inspiration for different patterns and yarns. It has finally allowed me to organize my stash, record my projects in one place, track my needles and books (well, most of them!). When I want to start something new I go there and poke around on the pattern/project/yarn pages. When I am wondering about a new yarn - Ravelry has the links to people who have used it and I can read their comments on how it knits and how it wears...

KH is my "social side" of knitting - where I can come and talk about knitting related things, share ideas, ask for help, etc. Although there are tons of forums/groups on Ravelry - they are a bit overwhelming and broken down into so many different "niches" that I don't think I'll ever make the same kinds of "connections" to the individuals - to me there is just a little bit too much on that front. I am very happy with the number of forums here and like the fact that, because it is less scattered, I feel like I am getting to know the people who participate here. I have never seen a question asked that wasn't responded to by many (even the ones that have been answered many times before) and everyone is always so welcoming of both the newer knitters and the more experienced.

KH is "home" and Ravelry is my "tool"...

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi'yall! :waving:

How are you doing with your Ravelry toybox?

I am enjoying Ravelry very much. I think I have now waded in up to my hips!

I especially like the feature that directs me to other's similar pattern projects! This feature launches directly from my particular project page!

For example: I have entered my Irish Hiking Scarf...and from my IHS project page, a link will automatically be inserted (by the Ravelry software) that allows me to migrate to a page where ALL OTHER Irish Hiking Scarves are gathered together for an IHS Convention! It is really nice to be able to view how other knitters did theirs!

On the other hand, I knit my IHS using Malagrigo yarn.
There is a 2nd link (automatically) inserted into my IHS project page on the side...and this link will take me to the MALABRIGO projects. I can view what other knitters have done using Malabrigo. Truly inspirational!

I like these two features very much.

I started a project using a yarn that was NOT WORKING OUT. Ack. But, when I clicked on the yarn link...I saw that all is not lost. I saw dozens of other knitter's projects that uses my yarn...so I was able to get inspiration about what to do with the yarn. I frogged my project...and began something else THAT WILL WORK!

Well, that is my 2 cents for today! :eyebrow:

inkaholic
11-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Aww, Ravelry sounds so cool...I want my invite to come already!! I still have 5004 people in front of me. :(

Nanaof6
11-25-2007, 04:03 PM
I filled out my profile and that's been about it. I have only posted a few questions and I joined two groups . One is 'Knitting Chicks' and the other is a Sock group. I haven't done a notebook . I guess I should go and see what all is there to do.

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I filled out my profile and that's been about it. I have only posted a few questions and I joined two groups . One is 'Knitting Chicks' and the other is a Sock group. I haven't done a notebook . I guess I should go and see what all is there to do.

Hi Nana! :waving: I started with the simplest thing possible: inputing my yarn data. That is a good start.

As for projects, I started by adding projects I am currently working on. That is a good 2nd!

Will wait to see your notebook soon! :hug:

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Boy am I glad I read this thread. I signed up with Ravelry but wasn't sure why until I read this thread. I decided to separate my stash and make a spreadheet with it all (enter data), now I just need to wait for 7800 people to be invited before me. Went down about 800 since I looked yesterday. Now I am excited to get invite and enter my stash. I guess the next time I look through it I'll take some pictures as well.

Thanks for the info.

Mary

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Boy am I glad I read this thread. I signed up with Ravelry but wasn't sure why until I read this thread. I decided to separate my stash and make a spreadheet with it all (enter data), now I just need to wait for 7800 people to be invited before me. Went down about 800 since I looked yesterday. Now I am excited to get invite and enter my stash. I guess the next time I look through it I'll take some pictures as well.

Thanks for the info.

Mary

You are very welcome dearmommy! :muah:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I am bumping this thread UP because so many of our KH brothers and sisters have been receiving their invitations to Ravelry...and some may be feeling overwhelmed by the prospects of developing their notebooks like I did! What to do, and then, what to do first! It is hard to decide!

of troy
12-17-2007, 10:08 PM
there is a flicker group for shared ravelry photo's.. so if you have common yarn (cascade 220, paton's classic merino, lorna laces..yada yada) you can use the shared photo's

(you can enter yarn with out a photo, too)

and there are 'trial' groups for other photo storage places (like snapfish/photobuckets/etc) so you don't have to use Flicker.

i like Friends feature.. one tab under friends is blogs.. you can see who has posted and check out blogs.

another great feature.. you can see who knit what with what yarn..

i have some alpaca.. i thought it was enough for bed socks.. and a quick check of FO's with the yarn, showed dozens of socks (each knit with 2 skeins.. just what i have!)

and the groups--so many.. but knitting style, by interest (american girl? or re-enactors, or ..) by geography (i've met many new knitters in my area..

and i am still learning features!

loveswildflowers
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I am very excited that I finally got my ravelry invite just in the last couple of days. I am slowly building my notebook. Thanks for the tips. I am loveswildflowers in ravelry too! :-)

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
there is a flicker group for shared ravelry photo's.. so if you have common yarn (cascade 220, paton's classic merino, lorna laces..yada yada) you can use the shared photo's

(you can enter yarn with out a photo, too)

and there are 'trial' groups for other photo storage places (like snapfish/photobuckets/etc) so you don't have to use Flicker.

i like Friends feature.. one tab under friends is blogs.. you can see who has posted and check out blogs.

another great feature.. you can see who knit what with what yarn..

i have some alpaca.. i thought it was enough for bed socks.. and a quick check of FO's with the yarn, showed dozens of socks (each knit with 2 skeins.. just what i have!)

and the groups--so many.. but knitting style, by interest (american girl? or re-enactors, or ..) by geography (i've met many new knitters in my area..

and i am still learning features!

Thanks for sharing these features, ofTroy in Queens! :thumbsup: Ravelry has many features that are simple to use, and very productive!
I prefer verbal communication with other knitters here at KH, however, I've met some really nice FRIENDS at Ravelry, and we post notes to one another everyday. They are kinda like PM's over here. I don't think they are public.

Thanks again!

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I am very excited that I finally got my ravelry invite just in the last couple of days. I am slowly building my notebook. Thanks for the tips. I am loveswildflowers in ravelry too! :-)

Hi Jen! I added you in MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry! Thanks for sharing your name and the info with us! Your knitting showcase is REALLY NICE! Very diverse! Well done! Thanks so much for taking time to share with us! Whee! :happydance:

goysu
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for adding me to your friends, artlady! When I got my invite to Ravelry and joined, I just did some of the things some of the people here did, like putting in all my stash. I found my friend there, the one I bought my Jayne hat kit from, and I found groups of knitters with the same interests I do.

So yeah, it was a little overwhelming at first, but when I found some friends, including ones from here, it really wasn't so bad.

capgemlib
12-26-2007, 10:53 PM
How on earth are you guys putting all those icons and graphics to the other KALs on your posts?????

capgemlib
12-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for adding me to your friends, artlady! When I got my invite to Ravelry and joined, I just did some of the things some of the people here did, like putting in all my stash. I found my friend there, the one I bought my Jayne hat kit from, and I found groups of knitters with the same interests I do.

So yeah, it was a little overwhelming at first, but when I found some friends, including ones from here, it really wasn't so bad.
Hi Goysu,

How did Serenity/Firefly inspire you to knit? My husband and I are big fans...

ignora
12-27-2007, 03:38 AM

Do you know what the group is called? I did a search and can't find it.

sue in canada
12-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I joined Ravelry a long time ago but so far have done nothing but look at patterns. One of these days I will work on it. I don't really know where to start. I guess I will read through all these post to get ideas.

DorothyDot
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, I just signed up to be put on the list for Ravelry. They asked for my blog site - I gave them my website which WILL have a blog on it sometime this year. Hope that works!!

Dot

VictoiseC
12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi! :waving: Oh geez, talk about stalling! I've been in for a few months now but I haven't visited in weeks. And to LIST ALL MY STASH!!!!:shock:
HOLY Moly that sounds like a lot of work. It's everywhere, in there, under here, back there...

It would be great though to see what I have all in one place. hmmmmmmm

maybe one day soon

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
How on earth are you guys putting all those icons and graphics to the other KALs on your posts?????

Hi capgemlib!

1) First, you have to right click an icon and "save it" to your computer. Now it is in MY PICTURES on your computer.

2) Next, go to your UserCP here at KH (means User Control Panel) in the top left corner of this page, next to Knitchat. Click UserCP and it will open up your personal account.

3) In the right hand column called CONTROL PANEL, there is an option called Edit Signature. Click on that.

4) You will now see two windows on the right side: one is called PREVIEW, the other says EDIT SIGNATURE. It is within the EDIT SIGNATURE window (box) that you can put stuff into (or out of) your automatic signature. (An 'automatic signature' appears below every post you ever submit.) If you ever change your signature, every post you have ever submitted (even if in the 1,000's) will reflect the new signature.

5) This is how I inserted the 'little knitter lady' into my signature: first of all, she is saved into MY PICTURES on my laptop. (I got her saved to my computer from the internet somewhere.) Next, I uploaded her into my Photobucket account. (Flickr is ok, too). Within my Photobuckets account, just below the uploaded 'little knitter lady' are 4 options for 'copying' her. I clicked the 2nd one that says 'Direct Link'. Now she is copied into my browser, and I am ready to insert her into my signature.

6) So now, we are back to our EDIT SIGNATURE box. First, put your cursor into the location/position that you want your 'little knitter lady' to be. You are ready to insert her once the cursor is in place.

7) Next, see that little yellow postage stamp up there? (It looks like it has a mountain in it. It is located just above the word Smilies.) That yellow box is what you use to insert images into your posts, or into your signature. Click the yellow box, and another insertion box will appear. Clear it out, put your cursor into it, right click and select PASTE. Then, click OK in that little insertion box. Voila! Your little knitter lady (or whatever you have copied from your Photobucket or Flickr) will appear!

To finalize your signature, scroll down and click SAVE SIGNATURE.
(or, if you want to see it first, click PREVIEW SIGNATURE. If you like what you see, then click SAVE SIGNATURE).

You can edit and re-edit your signature as many times as you like. I edit mine almost everyday...making changes to the area, in my signature, called My OTN'S as of 12/27/07. I update my OTN progress everyday almost.

There are other ways of posting icons and photos into your signature and posts...but the one I described above is the method I prefer to use. But, as I said, it requires that you put the stuff into Photobucket or Flickr first.

I like it best. I have both Photobucket and Flickr accounts. I use Photobucket for KH mostly, and Flickr for Ravelry.

Hope this helps you. Don't be shy about asking further questions. My directions are clear to me, but maybe not to someone else. I will re-read them now to check for step-by-step clarity...but ya never know!

KnittingNat
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I finally listed all my "quality stash", well, not all, almost all... Besides that I have lots of different weight and colours acrylic I got from my grandmother. I don't know how to list it... Any ideas? I would love some help :??

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I finally listed all my "quality stash", well, not all, almost all... Besides that I have lots of different weight and colours acrylic I got from my grandmother. I don't know how to list it... Any ideas? I would love some help :??

Hi Nat! Hmmm...that's a tricky one. I had the same problem when I listed my acrylic odds-n-ends yarn on my Excel Stash Yarn spreadsheet (before Ravelry).

Do you have labels on them?

If not...why not get out a scale...and list 1) the color, 2) the fiber content (acrylic), 3) if it seems to be DK, worsted or bulky, and 4) the amt/weight in ounces or grams. That is good enough I think!

You could "destine" the yarn to be knit into one nice big log cabin afghan for yourself, a child, an elderly person in a nursing home, or another charity!

KnittingNat
12-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Hi Nat! Hmmm...that's a tricky one. I had the same problem when I listed my acrylic odds-n-ends yarn on my Excel Stash Yarn spreadsheet (before Ravelry).

Do you have labels on them?

If not...why not get out a scale...and list 1) the color, 2) the fiber content (acrylic), 3) if it seems to be DK, worsted or bulky, and 4) the amt/weight in ounces or grams. That is good enough I think!

You could "destine" the yarn to be knit into one nice big log cabin afghan for yourself, a child, an elderly person in a nursing home, or another charity!

Actually' I'm planning on making a log cabin baby blanket for a friend's baby due in March, with the brighter colours and I'm making headbands and scarf for my Mom. I guess it will be a stash for little presents for people who don't want to get into handwashing :lol: I'm also making a pillow for my dog woth random colours in stripes. I'm going to take a picture of that and put on Ravelry too :cheering:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Actually' I'm planning on making a log cabin baby blanket for a friend's baby due in March, with the brighter colours and I'm making headbands and scarf for my Mom. I guess it will be a stash for little presents for people who don't want to get into handwashing :lol: I'm also making a pillow for my dog woth random colours in stripes. I'm going to take a picture of that and put on Ravelry too :cheering:

Oh yes yes yes! The log cabin afghan is such a great stash-buster!
One of the Mason-Dixon chicks said that she always has a log cabin going. She doesn't wait to work on it, she just adds the leftover yarn right to it when she finishes up a project! How cool is that? It would be really randomly colored, and sometimes those are the best afghans! When ya don't think too hard! :eyes:

It is rather expensive to go out and buy all the yarns at one time for a "color coordinated/planned out" log cabin. I can see the benefits of it, especially for a "show-piece bed spread", or etc. But just for loungin' around, watchin' movies, and eatin' popcorn...a random log cabin is fine by me!!

Be sure and post your progress! Yeah!:cheering:

raederle
12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I have been "waiting" for Ravelry, because I wanted to join once it was open to the public. (Something about not wanting to be on a waiting list, I'd rather have instant gratification...later?)

Anyway, I have determined that I can be reasonably sure that I will get on in about a month or less, whereas there is no "open to the public" date being floated about as of yet, so I caved:

You signed up on Today
You are #76243 on the list.
5834 people are ahead of you in line.
1 people are behind you in line.
90% of the list has been invited so farThis is crazy, I signed up, then immediately went to the waiting list checker, and there is already one other person behind me in line. All I have to say is... HA-ha! (a la Simpson's Nelson).
:P
This change of heart is mainly because I wanted to make some patterns for Xmas (sudden funeral requiring $$$ airfare before having bought Xmas gifts = last-minute stash-diving for Xmas knitting) and wanted to see what some good yarn substitutions were. Ravelry would be good for that, but oh wait, I'm not on Ravelry, because I thought I was being a smartypants. (I thought it might be gauche to ask KHers on Ravelry to check for me...just sign up already, lady!)

Xmas knitting tip: an index card, invisible tape and some yarn of your desired project shaped into (insert item here, e.g. sweater, socks, mittens) makes a funny IOU when Xmas knitting does not proceed as fast as it does in your sugarplum delusions.
:roll:

Just for giggles, I checked again just now:

You signed up on Today
13 people are behind you in line.
90% of the list has been invited so farI am SO silly!

e

Birdiegirl
12-29-2007, 01:05 AM
You signed up on Today
13 people are behind you in line.
90% of the list has been invited so far[/LIST]I am SO silly!

e

I signed up yesterday and there are already 738 people behind me! Maybe it won't take long!

Robin

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I signed up yesterday and there are already 738 people behind me! Maybe it won't take long!

Robin

Hi birdiegirl! :waving: It goes quickly, believe me!

In the meantime, to get yourself ready for "R" day:
1) start taking digital photos of all your yarns; works-in-progress; and finished projects. If you are using the free version of Flickr, be sure and downsize the pixels of your photos before loading them into Flickr.

2) If you don't already have a Flickr photo account (it's free), get one set up, and get your photos loaded into it. (The 'pay version' of Flickr has an "uploader" that opens in your Pictures, you can drag-and-drop photos into the uploader, and it will automatically downsize the pixels for you, thereby eliminating that nuisance)

3) If you don't already use Mozilla Firefox for an internet browser, go to www.mozilla.com and download the free Firefox browser. If you use Internet Explorer, don't worry, it won't upset your ability to continue using IE if you wish. When Firefox is installing, it will ask you if you want to carry all your "favorite bookmarks" across into Firefox...say YES...you will have full acess to all your bookmarks. It will also ask you if you want to make it your "default browser"...say YES.

Why? Firefox works much better with Forums in general. And you can always surf the web using IE if you elect to do so...but you will love Firefox...and I have heard that it is much safer surfing. From my experience with it, IT IS...and it is far more useful.

You will need Flickr with Ravelry when you want to integrate photos into your notebook. Photobucket isn't an option.

cindycactus
12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks Art Lady for all the useful information. I have been wondering how to do some of these things. I got my invitation to Ravelry yesterday and signed up today. Took about three weeks. Now all I have to do is get busy entering my information.:knitting:

ignora
12-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I added you! :)

pmknit
01-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow! Great advice! You have convinced me that Ravelry is a great place for organization/research, etc, so I've started simply...by adding my needles.
I have a very basic question. I did not keep the wrappers for my needles, so I don't know how to measure the length of my circulars. Do I just measure the flexible wire, or do I measure from tip to tip?
I look forward to adding my stash and WIPs when I get my camera back from my dd! I'm getting started with organization!
Thanks again for the advice! I'll see you in Ravelry!
Peggy

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow! Great advice! You have convinced me that Ravelry is a great place for organization/research, etc, so I've started simply...by adding my needles.
I have a very basic question. I did not keep the wrappers for my needles, so I don't know how to measure the length of my circulars. Do I just measure the flexible wire, or do I measure from tip to tip?
I look forward to adding my stash and WIPs when I get my camera back from my dd! I'm getting started with organization!
Thanks again for the advice! I'll see you in Ravelry!
Peggy

Hi'ya Peggy! :waving:

Circs are always measured from tip-to-tip! Looking forward to following your Ravelry Notebook soon! :thumbsup: Be sure and look me up...I am Artlady at Ravelry, and you can add me by clicking my name down below in my signature, too!

Dreaming Knitter
01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I already posted something about this earlier at the 2008 Year of the Stash thread, but just wanted to add, that when I got my Raverly invite last month, the very first thing I did was to add to My Stash.

But I've only had time to add one yarn and one project... my reluctance to go full blast into Ravelry is simply because I find it rather overwhelming, in a positive way...it's like being invited to a fabulous buffet and you have to take your time with it so you can savor every bit...starting with the appetizers, soup, salad, etc.

I'll probably add to My Stash at least one yarn and project every 1 to 2 weeks...

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I already posted something about this earlier at the 2008 Year of the Stash thread, but just wanted to add, that when I got my Raverly invite last month, the very first thing I did was to add to My Stash.

But I've only had time to add one yarn and one project... my reluctance to go full blast into Ravelry is simply because I find it rather overwhelming, in a positive way...it's like being invited to a fabulous buffet and you have to take your time with it so you can savor every bit...starting with the appetizers, soup, salad, etc.

I'll probably add to My Stash at least one yarn and project every 1 to 2 weeks...

Hi Dreaming Knitter! :waving: You said that so well! Yes, it is like being invited to a fabulous buffet...and you just don't know where to begin!

Totally overwhelming!

That is why I started with simply adding my Stash.
Next, I added only the projects currently under construction.

Everytime I took another step, I told myself: "Ok, this is it."

But, as I added projects, I also added a GROUP (Knitting Help)...and then, added FRIENDS...and then, nosed around in their Stash details, and Projects details...and got inspired!

I also liked traveling to the links provided on my personal Projects page. It would take me to: link 1) the same pattern being knit by other knitters with different yarn...or... link 2) the same yarn being used by other knitters but with a multitude of projects different than mine.

Anyway, you have it right. Just add Stash, a baby step at a time...maybe getting fancy and adding a photo of each yarn (!).

Then think about adding a current project, along with a photo, and your thoughts (Notes) about the project. Problems you encountered, how you fixed the issue; what you like about the pattern; etc. I like to read people's notes about the pattern/project just as much as seeing the photo! Their Notes are actually more helpful! I'll tell you, I am quite frank with my NOTES about a project...both PRO and CON! :eyebrow:

Knit on Good Woman! :thumbsup:

SteveDallas
01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
I haven't read this whole thread... but yeah, ArtLady, your intro post was right on! I see a pattern that looks interesting... I can go to Ravelry and see FOs. Hey, I have some of Yarn X that might work... let's see if anybody else has done that project with that yarn. Wait, they used a size 0 needle instead of the size 1 in the instructions? Hmm...... It's a great research tool!

md21
01-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Ravelry is amazing! I got my invite yesterday, and I have all of my stash, WIP's, and FO's in there already. It wasn't too bad considering I don't have much of a stash or anything, but I did have to take (rather terrible) pictures of everything. I love how easy the site is to use, and so far it seems bug-free - not what I was expecting from a BETA.

By the way, I'm Kyle over there -
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Kyle

pmknit
01-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Kyle,

I just added you as my friend! I'm new, too, and can't add any photos til I get my camera back from my DD.

DorothyDot
01-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey, I'm in! Been through this whole thread - so much to learn here!

But.... I'M IN!!!!:woohoo: :cheering: :woot:

And I'm dorothydot over there, too.

Dot

NJnewbieknitter
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I am so inspired by you all :notworthy:

I have "officially" signed up to get Ravelry......now I just have to wait patiently for my invite. :pray:

Knit Princess
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
:woohoo: I'm IN!!!!! YAY!!! I'm Knitting Princess over there (knit was taken). It's so fun to look around and finally see what everyone has been talking about. I've entered in my (very modest, very inexpensive) yarn stash and am now looking around at projects and groups. How fun!

ArtLady, I've read so much of what you've done on this post, and want to say a big THANK YOU for explaining so much and encouraging all of us. I added you as a friend! :aww:

ArtLady1981
01-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Hi KnitPrincess! :waving: You're most welcome! :muah:

Hi NJNewbieKnitter! :waving: Oh, we'll all join hands and hope that you get your Ravelry Invite reeeeal soon! I heard that the line is going faster these days!

Hey there DorothyDot! :waving: I'll have to run over to the Ravelry Ranch and make sure you are in MY FRIENDS! I've been sick with the bug for that past month, and I think I've done some things that I will never remember! :teehee:

Hi Kyle and SteveDallas! :waving::waving: So nice to have some brothers onboard! Keep in touch! I added you as my buddy, Kyle! Love the ski hat in your Ravelry Projects folder! Steve, your Pine colored chunky cabled scarf is on its way to becoming a very handsome scarf! Keep at it! I just love nosing around in MY FRIENDS' stuff! And legal, too! :thumbsup:

mom2hancj
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey all! I am happy to say I have joined you all on Ravelry. I have no idea what I am doing or how to manveur the site...so where do I start? I can't even figure out how to put a pic of myself up. Any help would be great :cool:

knitqueen
01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
A question about RSS feeds....I don't get it. What is it? Would it allow me to somehow get an update on all my friends' stuff without having to go through each one of their profiles to see if anything new has come up?

On my 'friends' page right above the first friend avatar is that little orange RSS thingie. I clicked on it, then on 'friends activity', now I get this screen that at the top has me choosing "Subscribe to feed using...". This is where I get stuck. How do I use this feature?

ArtLady1981
01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
A question about RSS feeds....I don't get it. What is it? Would it allow me to somehow get an update on all my friends' stuff without having to go through each one of their profiles to see if anything new has come up?

On my 'friends' page right above the first friend avatar is that little orange RSS thingie. I clicked on it, then on 'friends activity', now I get this screen that at the top has me choosing "Subscribe to feed using...". This is where I get stuck. How do I use this feature?

Stay tuned Knitqueen! I copied your post to our Mod Forum, and asked Sheldon for his input. I am clueless about the subject, but have always wondered about RSS feeds and such.

ArtLady1981
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Here is what our MOD, Jan in Cal, found for you:
CLICK HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=RSS&match=all&titlesonly=0)

I hope it helps! :thumbsup:

sheldon
01-18-2008, 10:56 PM
RSS is a format for sharing headlines, forum post, blog articles, or basically any kind of structured text data. You need to "subscribe" to an RSS feed. I use RSS to keep up with about 100 or so blogs I read read regularly. It allows me to plug in the RSS feeds from all these blogs into my feedreader software and see when new posts are made to the blogs I follow. All this without having to visit the each individual blog which would take forever and would make the experience less than enjoyable.

Feedreader software is the key to taking advantage of RSS feeds. Google has a web based feedreader as part of their Gmail suite. I know the email client Thunderbird also enables you to manage RSS feeds. I don't have any extensive experience with either of these. I personally use a program called NetNewsWire which is a Mac based feedreader. It allows me to create categories for organizing my feeds by topic and when I click on a RSS icon with my browser it automatically launches and adds my feed. The same company makes a PC version as well called FeedDemon. Both have a nominal licensing cost of $29 or so. That's the basics.

I've been working on an application for KH to allow knitters with blogs to add their feeds to a KH bloggers page which will display the headlines on a page on KH and automatically update as new blog posts are posted by members. Then our members can visit the page and read the headlines from KH member blogs and click to visit the full post on the member's blog site. I have a test demo running, but I am not sure it's ready for primetime yet.

Hope this helps.

Sheldon

NJnewbieknitter
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, I am " IN ".....got my invite during the week, and with my work schedule, I had NO TIME until around 12am last night to finally sign up. I've got the little bit of stash I have entered, but I'm off to AC Moore for today's WARM YOUR HEART event to stock up !!

See you around the knitting needles....:woot:

knittingymnast
01-19-2008, 09:39 AM
um, i know this sounds dumb, but how do you get into ravelry? :??

suzeeq
01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Go to ravelry.com and sign up. Right now it takes about 10 days to get your invitation.

ArtLady1981
01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Sheldon!

Thanks for taking the time to help us understand RSS feeds!

Many Thanks from All of Us! :muah::muah::muah:

Dobek1011
02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm in. :woot: I am Purlingkitty on ravelry. I spent multiple hours (you don't want to know the true # :aww: ) I have a limited stash so ....but at least I'm there. It is so weird to see other peoples projects that are the same as mine, but at least I know I did it right :rofl: !!!!!

DorothyDot
02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm really enjoying all the forums on Ravelry. Hope to "see" y'all on them!

Dot

ArtLady1981
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Welcome Sisters! I love the Ravelry tools & Groups, and I love the Knitting Help community and video clips! Yeah!!!

ArtLady1981
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
This is a little BUMP! There has been more discussion about the uses for Ravelry! I remember some real good discussion!

Lucy78green
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I mainly check to see who else has knit what I knit, plus I like it when someone hearts my project or leaves a nice comment. I also have a few oddments and random purchases that I don't know what to do with so I search patterns by yardage and yarn weight for ideas.