PDA

View Full Version : Oh I can't wait... new tattoo soon, Appt is on 10/3

Silver
09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
I took my idea to my tattoo artist yesterday and last night he sketched up a perrrrrfect design. It's kinda small, and gonna be on my inside right wrist, but it's very, very cool. It's a knitting related tattoo and I can't wait to get it inked! But I have to wait because he's so busy I have to get an appointment! Gah! I hate waiting!!! :verysad:

Mulderknitter
09-13-2007, 08:25 AM
OOOOOOh I'm so jealous! I haven't had a new tattoo for 2 years now and have been wanting another one (they are addictive aren't they?)

Silver
09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Uh, yeah they're addictive... this will be my 6th. :teehee:

dustinac
09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm wanting a tatoo on my wrist... but I'm to afraid of the needle...and my dad :teehee:

PurlyGyrl
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Please :flirt: post a pix of the new tattoo-love to see it. Love to have one but needles (except knitting ones of course :teehee:) make me :thud:

msoebel
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I still want to get another one...on the back of my neck. I have dh talked into getting one "someday" on the inside of his wrist.

I WANT one...

I am jealous.

Misty

Mulderknitter
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
My last one was a small figure eight for the infinity sign on the back of my neck. It is by far my favorite so far!

PaperGirl
09-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I LOVE tattoos! I have 2 and want like 3-4 more.

stitchwitch
09-13-2007, 11:20 AM
OK, in no way is this meant to sound negative so PLEASE do not take it as such, but how can you guys get attached to something that you want on you for the rest of your life? I am so fickle that I'd get a tattoo and the next week I'd hate it and want something else. I am a total committment phobe. Do you guys make the decision and then whammo you're in? Or do you ponder it for a zillion years and finally do it? I can't even commit to a hair color, yet alone something permanent on my body. Gotta know.

Silver
09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm wanting a tatoo on my wrist... but I'm to afraid of the needle...and my dad :teehee:
LOL When I showed my dad my first tattoo, like 15 years ago, it was the day after I had it done. It was still pretty sore, and the first thing he does is scratches it with his fingernail and asked if it was real. :zombie: :teehee:

OK, in no way is this meant to sound negative so PLEASE do not take it as such, but how can you guys get attached to something that you want on you for the rest of your life? I am so fickle that I'd get a tattoo and the next week I'd hate it and want something else. I am a total committment phobe. Do you guys make the decision and then whammo you're in? Or do you ponder it for a zillion years and finally do it? I can't even commit to a hair color, yet alone something permanent on my body. Gotta know.
Well I'm completely not a commitment-phobe and have never been afraid to try something different or "permanent", obviously. I think about my tattoos for a while before I have them done, but I don't really mull over it for months and months. Once I decide, that's good enough for me. I have 5 tattoos and have never regretted any of them. I don't especially love one of mine, but it's a part of me now so I feel about it the way I feel about my butt. Eh. :teehee:

Although oddly enough, the one tat I don't love is the same tat that was inked by a local tattoo legend so there IS reason to love it none the less. If anyone scoffs at it, I just say, yeah, well it was done by Eric Inksmith and they go :noway: lol Even the guys at my tattoo studio (Inksmith & Rogers) are jealous that I have a real Inksmith tat.

Anyway, I digress. No, I'm not afraid of getting something done permanently. If you ARE afraid, then you shouldn't get a tattoo. No one should ever get ink thinking that "well one day I can have it lasered off". It's just not the way to think about tats. You have to jump in with both feet and be happy with your decision.

People are people... different strokes... I respect a non-tattooed person's reasons for not getting ink, I ask the same respect be given to me even though I do have tattoos.

I'm still a just sweet innocent knitter type on the inside.
:whistle: :roflhard:

stitchwitch
09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I think I'm going to tattoo my cat first and see if I like it! :roflhard:
I agree on the respect thing.

Silver
09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
:roflhard: You may like the cat tattoo, but how are you gonna feel when kitty turns your pillow into her litter box? :??

No joke though... some people DO tattoo their animals. And I'm not talking about for identification purposes... I mean real tats done just for their own amusement! :!!!:

stitchwitch
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
She would kill me in my sleep long before then. :roflhard: If I even so much as touch her with what she thinks is a dirty hand she gives me flack. I can imagine tattooing a flower or something on her. :roflhard:

kemp
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
So when is your appointment Kristin? I've thought about getting another one for a while...I really think there is a bit of addiction with it. If I could figure out where to put it I'd probably do it it again. I don't like the idea of my butt in the air for an hour though :teehee:

Silver
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
lol Kemp.
I don't have an appointment yet. He was supposed to call me last night, but he got stuck working on a back piece for 3+ hours. And I haven't been able to get through to him today. I'm gonna try calling him again in a bit.

kemp
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's soon for you. I remember once I finally did decide on the first one I could hardly wait to get it done!

willowangel
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I always think about what I want and make sure I still like the idea a wee while later before doing it - luckily for that (since I usually want them now now now!) the artist I go to has a 2 month waiting list at all times, so you have to wait. I *LOVE* all of mine - I have them on both wrists, and, while it sometimes gets the nerves twitching while it's done, they weren't that bad. My next one will be on the top of one of my wrists, to remind me to Breathe....

As for the commitment thing - my belief is that my tattoos represent something very important to me - either to mark an occasion, something that means a lot to me, something I believe or something in memory of someone. Whatever happens in my future, these things will still have been important to me, and will function as a kind of road map of my life, with all its beautiful uncertainties. For example :

I have a phoenix on my foot, with 'and still I rise...' underneath it, to mark when I got out of the wheelchair. I always said I'd get it done when I managed that, and so the day I went was a very cathartic and emotional time.

I have a shooting star on my thigh, in memory of my baby Aron who died before he was born. His name means shining light, and he was only here for a little while but burned brightly.

I have a vine around one wrist, to signify nature - the core of my beliefs.

I have three chinese characters on the inside of the other wrist - 'dream', 'tranquillity' and 'willow' (both my nickname and a shortened version of 'the willow knows what the strom does not : that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it'). The latter is in the middle, over a previous suicide attempt scar, and the idea was that, if I ever got that bad again, I would have to cut through that tattoo to do it - and it's saved my life a couple of times. My mother, who was totally against tattoos, actually drove me to the artist and paid for that one.

And I have a tribal butterfly on my shoulder, my first one, because I love butterflies and I doubt that'll change ;-)

So, even if I move on from different beliefs or convictions, it's sometimes good to be able to remind yourself of where you've come from, how far you've come, and who you used to be.

And, in the wonderful Ani Difranco's words : 'A tattoo is only as permanent as I am'.

Fi xxx

kemp
09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow Willow, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing what your tats represent.

Silver
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's soon for you. I remember once I finally did decide on the first one I could hardly wait to get it done!
I don't know when yet... he doesn't work today. :verysad:

So, even if I move on from different beliefs or convictions, it's sometimes good to be able to remind yourself of where you've come from, how far you've come, and who you used to be.

And, in the wonderful Ani Difranco's words : 'A tattoo is only as permanent as I am'.
That's a really great way to think of it Willow, and the meanings of your tattoos are very deep. Thanks for sharing!

Most of mine have a certain sentimental reason behind them, but not all... and that's ok. I still remember when and where I got them and what things were like at the time. I appreciate meaningful tattoos, but I don't think that all of them have to be some monumental dedication. Sometimes it's ok to get a tat "just because". ;)

giedre11
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Oooh, I've always wanted a tattoo, but I too am afraid of needles! My biggest concern is that one day I'll get up the nerve to do it, and then right in the middle of having it done I'll find it too painful to continue, and there I'll be...a smudge of ink/halfway way done tat, and that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life! :gah:

Silver
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Oooh, I've always wanted a tattoo, but I too am afraid of needles! My biggest concern is that one day I'll get up the nerve to do it, and then right in the middle of having it done I'll find it too painful to continue, and there I'll be...a smudge of ink/halfway way done tat, and that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life! :gah:
That's exactly what happened to my brother-in-law! He has a little ... um... squiggle thingy... about 2" long on his back. :teehee:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Silver, have you ever seen any cover-up work done? I want to have the one on my shoulder done over with something else. Also, when you see an artist, do you just give him some info to work from, or do you have to have something conceptualized?

Silver
09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Silver, have you ever seen any cover-up work done? I want to have the one on my shoulder done over with something else. Also, when you see an artist, do you just give him some info to work from, or do you have to have something conceptualized?
I've seen photos of cover up work, and the results are always amazing. But I doubt they take pics of crappy results. lol Sometimes coverup just won't work because of the original tat color or placement. When you go see an artist, (a reputable artist that is), the first thing to remember is that they know what they're talking about. If they say it can't be done, or it won't work, believe them. They're not going to talk themselves out of money, they want you to be happy with the result. So if they say no, trust their judgment. And on the other hand, if he suggests how to cover it, be open to his suggestions, but be firm on what YOU want too. It's YOUR skin.

When you walk into the studio, you should have at least an idea of what you want. Of course, there's nothing wrong with looking around at all the art on the walls and picking something you like, that's why they're there, but don't go up to the artist and say "I don't know what I want". Figure out at least a concept before you consult with him so he has something to jump off from. If you want him to sketch something up for you, ask him to, and ask for a total price quote. The sketch is included in the tattoo price.

When I approached my artist with my knitting tattoo idea, I had prepared my own version in Photoshop so he could see exactly what I wanted. Then I left it in his hands to sketch up his rendition. I then took that, made some minor edits, and we're at a finished design. All I need now is an appointment... :verysad:

Silver
09-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I got my appointment... October 3rd @ 5pm. Wah!! Almost THREE weeks away! :biting:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
That is really exciting! When I was 18 I got a piece of flash (a cherub from Fantastia, real small) on my right upper arm. It's faded now and just blah. I want to cover it up with something that works in my knitting, kids, and love of books, but I am NOT an artist, and am rather uncreative. I can't really visualize anything, so I have just been waiting.

I can't wait to see your new tat!

kristinw
09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I got my appointment... October 3rd @ 5pm. Wah!! Almost THREE weeks away! :biting:

Yay!! Stinks you have to wait 3 weeks though. I waited about 3 weeks in between sessions and it was torturous!

Can't wait to see it! :cheering:

Silver
09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I know... waiting is not going to be fun. But it's good to know that the artist is so good he has a waiting list. :)

ecb
09-14-2007, 02:23 PM
here is mine