PDA

View Full Version : Secret of the Stole KAL?

PaperGirl
09-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I just happened to see it on Ravelry, and joined the Yahoo group for it as well. Its a beaded stole, but beads are not required..

The membership closes on October 4th...with the first clue coming on the 5th.

The swatch info is up in the Yahoo group, and it looks pretty!

Im going to cast on for the swatch as soon as my circs from KP get here.

Anyone else interested? I missed on MS3, so I thought Id try this one for my first lace project...it is VERY VERY simple...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/secret-of-the-stole

schoen1605
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I've joined -- even though I'm not quite through knitting MS3. It looks like fun.

dustinac
09-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm also doing it... even though my MS3 isn't done :teehee:

I'm going to start this one on time and do my best to stay caught up so I can finish it... :teehee:

PaperGirl
09-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Im looking forward to trying this. The swatch pattern looks terribly easy, and it just called my name...

I swear, it jumped on my screen in Ravelry too.

Samsam
09-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for posting this! I joined, just need to order some yarn :heart:

mintdee
09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm in this one as well :) It will be fun to go through it with my KH buds! :woohoo:

Dustina-I just realized that I never answered your pm :shifty:

I am using some lace weight that a woman is dying special for me. Its a deep red. I can't wait to see it.
No beads for me though. I am sure that it will be pretty I just really think that one new thing at a time is enough for me. ;)

misstialouise
09-15-2007, 05:15 PM
mmm.. do I?? mmm.. I have some laceweight yarn..... just sitting there.... mmmmmm......

trublnde
09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I just signed up. It looks like it will be great fun and is my very first laceweight lacey project. I have Malabrigo Lacewight yarn in pearl, and plently of seed beads to choose from. I can't wait until October 5th.

PaperGirl
09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I cast on for my swatch last night with sz. 3s.

I think I need to go buy some size 4s today. And maybe some 5s too. Just for comparison sakes.

jhelanee
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm joining in too. I was part of MS3 but didn't care for the final design and will not finish it (I wasn't very far along anyway), so I'll just re-purpose the yarn (ebony Zephry wool/silk) and beads I had for that. No clue when I will get around to swatching - although since I liked the fabric I got on my abortive MS3 I may just skip the swatch and use the same needles as for that. :think:

gingerbread
09-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Yup signed up and I think this is going to be fun. I just have to buy some yarn:clink: always a reason to buy.

So glad that I am going to be doing a chart that I have never done.:waah: I know I can get the help here thank goodness.:happydance::happydance:

gingerbread
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I was wondering what yarn is everyone going to use. I am going to get the lace weight I just don't know what kind I want to get. I like the Shadow from Knit Picks, but I love the Baby Alpaca.cloud9 I think the colors are much better. Well I guess I just made up my mind:flirt: I just have to figure what color to buy. :passedout: Oh well the fun of just being able to buy some nice yarn again.:roflhard:

jjminarcik
09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I have also signed up for this; I can't wait until it starts! I have ordered the Shadow from KnitPicks and I'm stalking the mailman until he gets here!

PaperGirl
09-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I got Shadow from KP in Campfire Heather..

I used the only sz 4s I could find in town, and those were DPNs.

Ive got a sz 3 circ..(too small)

A sz 5 straight...need to reswatch..

but the sz 4s look too small too.

cando
09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I joined a few days ago too!
I'm using Cashwool and no beads. Will be swatching sometime today!

PaperGirl
09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I swatched...

And Ive decided I need to buckle down and *sigh* order the KP size 4 and 5 circs and reswatch. I used some size 5 straights, and the tips were SO blunt, it was a pain.

gingerbread
09-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Oh Papergirl is that the color you are using. It is beautiful along with your beads.
Right now I have to wait until the first of the month to buy yarn. I think I am going to get the shadow from KnitPicks. I just can't wait to start. I did the swatch in fingering wt. that is all I have at the moment. Not to bad. Just don't have a camera.

quiltbugj
09-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I ordered a free sample of Zephyr from sarah's yarns to swatch. She's included a color card with my order - can't wait to get it in the mail. From the pic online I'm leaning towards the color peacock. I'm thinking about using a bead color that will stand out - like silver or gold. I'm liking the metallic beads in the the rainbow spectrum.

Samsam
09-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm using Knitpicks Shadow in Oregon Coast..sooo soft cloud9

PaperGirl
09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
If y'all are using circs...what size cable are you using?

I need to order the 4s...but Im thinking the 24 inch length?

dustinac
09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
I ordered my crochet hook :happydance:...hopefully this will make it easier for me... the mystery shawl I just couldn't figure the beading out...

Papergirl, the 24" should work ok...that is what I use on most of my shawls/stoles....

I still have to do my swatch :teehee:

jeanius80
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
i joined (i too an not finishing my MS3. sometime in the future though, i'll knit the 2 winged version. i bought the pattern).
i am using a 4 ounce ball of Zephyr in Ebony. i have no clue what color beads to use though. i want them to be subtle but with color. i am leaning towards some blues or green tones. help! ;)

dustinac
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I still haven't swatched...:oo:

PaperGirl
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
First clue is up! Ive been broswing in Yahoo, reading in Ravelry, and now Im here...just getting my bearing before I cast on.

The 2 point cast on looks difficult, but I assure you all, its not! Ive done the same thing for dishcloths.

If you want to see, someone has already finished one of the tips!

http://lulsblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/secret-of-stole-here-we-go.html

Personally, I think Ill start with both points at once, and see how it goes, otherwise, I may split it up, and join at 51 like it says to do anyway.

dustinac
10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I started on the stole this afternoon... I decided to do both peaks at one time...it's moving pretty fast for the time I've had to work with it... and the beads are so much easier with a crochet hook!!

has anyone else worked a RS row on the right half and then when you get to the left you realize it's still on the WS cause you forgot to purl it before you turned....:oo:

jjminarcik
10-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Okay, so I read the first clue today. I'm not starting until tomorrow, but. . . did I get in over my head??? I have not knit lace before, but have done plenty of other difficult projects. So, do you HAVE to knit the 2 pieces at once? Or are you supposed to knit them separately? And do you join them in this clue on row 51? Or am I totally missing something? Help KH friends, help! :hair:

jeanius80
10-05-2007, 09:53 PM
i've only read it, not knit it yet... but! I understand that you are to knit two triangles (one of each chart) and on row 50 or 51 you break the yarn on the left triangle, then knit across both points with the yarn from the right triangle, making it one piece like a "W"...HTH

PaperGirl
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
You dont HAVE to knit them both at once. Ive seen alot of people knitting the right point first, then the left, then joining them on row 51. I think thats what Im going to do.

Oh, and heres a nice video someone in the Yahoo group posted on beading..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2IVe416pc

jjminarcik
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Okay, here goes. I'm starting this afternoon. I think I might understand what I'm supposed to do. I'm going to try knitting the two points at once and we'll see what happens!

Samsam
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
hm. I still didn't start.
I have the yarn and needles it's just that the hanks of yarn are a pain to ball up. I reallly want a ball winder :pout:

I still have some sock yarn hanging on a chair waiting to be balled but...

jeanius80
10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
i won't start until I am done with 2 pairs of socks, and can go get the beads.... (so i should get knitting! ;) )

PaperGirl
10-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Im up to row 25 on the points. It looks really pretty so far!

astonh
10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I signed up for this as well... WHAT was I thinking? LOL..

I've not CO yet. My computer and I are having a bit of a "failure to communicate" as it is REFUSING to print out the charts for me. URG. Oh well, I'll try it on a different printer here in a couple days. I've got my crochet hook for the beads but STILL don't have my yarn yet. That is probably okay though, I'll just be a bit behind. Like Jeanius80, I've GOT to get a couple projects DONE before I CO the Secret of the Stole.

I do, however, like how it is coming along for others.

NinaT
10-09-2007, 02:00 AM
How did y'all find out about this?! I missed out on MS3 and now this one!:cry:

PaperGirl
10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I stumbled upon it in Ravelry.

I really ought to take a pic of what Ive gotten so far. Im only on like row 33, I need to get knitting if I want to be done by Friday. :roflhard:

jhelanee
10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, you're further along than me - I just cast on this afternoon and have only made it to row 16!

gingerbread
10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Help me I know I am over thinking this :shock:.On the charts. I casted on and then began to think what was the right side and what is the left side of the chart. Is the first chart the right side and the second one the left :ick:. See what I mean by over thinking it :pout:. I guess I could use the written instructions but I really want to learn to use the charts. This one seems to be really easy to learn if it weren't for the two peaks.:thud:

PaperGirl
10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
The charts are read from right to left. There is a spot on BOTH charts that is duplicated. It should be on the right side of the LEFT chart, and the LEFT side of the RIGHT chart.

So when you put them together its LEFT chart (right side overlapping left side of) RIGHT chart.

I bet thats more confusing than anything...:doh:

jjminarcik
10-15-2007, 02:10 AM
I am so mad at this stole! :hair: I have worked and counted stitches so much my eyes are crossed. I figure I have about 20 hours in the project so far. Well tonight I am knitting along and without realizing, drop about 6 stitches where the two points join. I didn't have a lifeline through there yet and there is no way to save it. :pout: Seriously, I almost cried.:waah: I have decided to frog the whole thing. I'm not sure if I will start it again or not, I think I need to forget how painful the experience was. Or maybe I'll start on another lace pattern? I guess I'll see what happens.

To everyone still working on it, good luck!!! :hug:May your stitches be clinging onto the needles for life!!! :teehee:

dustinac
10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I wasn't really caring for the pattern after I finished clue 1... so I decided to wait till I seen clue 2 finished and then decide... I've decided for now not to continue with the stole...maybe once it's done I'll understand the pattern and then I'll knit it...:teehee:

jeanius80
10-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I wasn't really caring for the pattern after I finished clue 1... so I decided to wait till I seen clue 2 finished and then decide... I've decided for now not to continue with the stole...maybe once it's done I'll understand the pattern and then I'll knit it...:teehee:

:teehee: too funny dustina.. i keep thinking it looks like space invaders! lucky me, i promised i wouldn't buy any beads until i make another sale in my etsy shop.. so i haven't cast on at all ;) maybe it has something to do with stars or comets? :think:

PaperGirl
10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
You gals are too funny!

I still havent finished clue #1. I am so slow. :roflhard:

dustinac
10-16-2007, 08:49 AM
dh says he sees a bug... a june bug I think is what he said:shrug:...after talking to another knitter I see a nautical theme...with crabs...and the x as star fish or something... and the lines dropping down as the water...:rofl:

Papergirl~that is how I was with the MS3...it's still not finished and mom is wanting it for Christmas :oo:

gingerbread
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
good gosh I still am waiting for my yarn. It won't be here until the end of the week. Just in time for the third clue :pout::pout::pout::pout::pout::pout::pout:.