PDA

View Full Version : FO: Saucy marries KHAKI CABLES!

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi'ya!

I finished KHAKI CABLES cardigan back in August. Have worn it to church about 3 times. Ack. Just couldn't find the right shirt for it. Always fussin' and squirmin' with the collar, the sleeves, you name it. :hair:

All of my white camisoles and tanks were not the right "white".

KHAKI CABLES (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=63653) is a pure white. So every one of my camisoles and tops looked crummy. :pout:

So then I had this lightbulb moment! I had about 4 skeins left over...so why not? I made this Saucy tank top. Knit in the round...a simple 'up the middle' cable...3 st I-cord straps. Voila! Also threaded cord elastic across the top to keep it snug across the chest.

It looks bell shaped in the photo. It isn't. It hangs wierd on the hanger. Saucy is straight up. No shaping. I did some decreases towards the top, of course. (BTW: "Saucy" is the name of the yarn)

Khaki Cables finally found a mate!
And I have a Sweater Set! :thumbsup:

Wore it to church with a longish dark blue denim gored skirt.
I didn't squirm and fuss around in my seat! :woot:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2890.jpg

Jan in CA
09-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Wowzers! That is beautiful! I don't like spaghetti straps on myself (boobs too big),but I love the overall effect. :cheering:

dip's mom
09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Your sweater set is just beautiful!!!! And smart thinking on the camisole to go!

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Wowzers! That is beautiful! I don't like spaghetti straps on myself (boobs too big),but I love the overall effect. :cheering:

Hi Jan! :waving: Thanks! Yeah, the spaghetti straps are really just 'window dressing'! I added 'em as a 'fail safe'! The top stays up on its own actually. The cord elastic, plus I decreased the 'rounds' sufficiently to make it a snug fit over the chest.

I sure didn't wanna have DH fussin' with 'cleavage alerts' during church! :eyes: You know how that is. He is 6'1"...I am 5'0"...from his perspective...he sees the top of my head and down my camisole! I tell him to "chill...no one else is going to be looming over me, lookin' at my little bit." Ack.

Anyway, I like to wear tank tops with a snug fit and kinda high across the chest myself. I think they look better.

PurlyGyrl
09-14-2007, 03:19 PM
OMGosh that's lovely! :inlove: And you are so clever :notworthy:

And like Jan, me and spaghetti straps are a bad-combo--like socks and sandals:teehee:--my anatomy and thin straps-NOT a pretty sight. :shock::ick:

And yeah sure Saucy:wink: is the name of the yarn--:roflhard:

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
OMGosh that's lovely! :inlove: And you are so clever :notworthy:

And like Jan, me and spaghetti straps are a bad-combo--like socks and sandals:teehee:--my anatomy and thin straps-NOT a pretty sight. :shock::ick:

And yeah sure Saucy:wink: is the name of the yarn--:roflhard:

Purly Girl, you tickle me! Really really...it is called Saucy! :eyebrow:
A wierd name for a workhorse mercerized yarn, eh?
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1227.jpg

Mulderknitter
09-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Again with the gorgeous knits Artlady! :passedout:And of course you had to put your yarn next to that gorgeous cabled afghan that I have the yarn for but yet to make!:hair:

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Again with the gorgeous knits Artlady! :passedout:And of course you had to put your yarn next to that gorgeous cabled afghan that I have the yarn for but yet to make!:hair:

Thanks Mulder!! Nice to hear from ya! :muah:

SusanMarie1956
09-14-2007, 07:42 PM
ArtLady,

That is so pretty! :-)

Susan

cam90066
09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
How creative! Should make for a great complement to your cardi.

I recently did a cardi in Saucy (their 'navy'...which I bought at my LYS). Took my garment in to them a couple days ago to show how the same-numbered dye lots didn't match. There's quite a bit of 'gradiation' even w/in a given skein. I also found the weight of the yarn wasn't consistent (some skeins thick, thinner). You'd not have had dye issues but did you find inconsistencies of yarn thickness? Having said that, I did like the actual yarn and the resulting color has kind of a 'washed/faded' look.

cam

MFuentes
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Great Job!! Looks like a perfect match!

chrislt8
09-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Good idea! Looks great, and it's nice to now have a "sweater set" - easy grab while dressing with no thinking needed ;)

Slim
09-14-2007, 09:04 PM
ArtLady, you're amazing! What a gorgeous little top -- I'll bet it goes with your cardigan perfectly. And you sound as if it's just a little something you whipped up. I'm so impressed.

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Good idea! Looks great, and it's nice to now have a "sweater set" - easy grab while dressing with no thinking needed ;)

So true!!! :thumbsup: Thanks for your kind words, everyone! :happydance:

ArtLady1981
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
ArtLady, you're amazing! What a gorgeous little top -- I'll bet it goes with your cardigan perfectly. And you sound as if it's just a little something you whipped up. I'm so impressed.

Hi Slim! :waving: Thanks! It was brought about by pure necessity! Besides, that KHAKI CABLES cardigan is kinda too hot with a shirt or blouse. I really needed a sleeveless something. Glad the yarn was relatively cheap and I bought a boatload of it at the time! :thumbsup:

I have 2 remaining skeins. Know what I'm goona do with it?
Make MYSELF some darn nice dishcloths! Tired of the Sugar 'n' Cream stuff...the way it shrinks, distorts and gets all ugly after 10 washings. Only good for the rag bag after awhile. NO JOKE! :pout:

dustinac
09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
What a great idea!! I love it...very pretty :thumbsup:

GinnyG
09-15-2007, 10:02 AM
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great idea!

MerigoldinWA
09-16-2007, 02:28 PM
ArtLady,

I found you! It is so nice to see you active again. I just posted somewhere that I hadn't noticed you in a while.

This is really a good idea. If you don't have anything that matches, make something. Did you make this without a pattern? I thought you didn't do that? See you can too. :-)

ArtLady1981
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
ArtLady,

I found you! It is so nice to see you active again. I just posted somewhere that I hadn't noticed you in a while.

This is really a good idea. If you don't have anything that matches, make something. Did you make this without a pattern? I thought you didn't do that? See you can too. :-)

Hi'ya Merigold! :waving:

I have been active! Sorry we have missed each other! I have been heavily participating in some threads...and haven't had time to jump into a lot of other threads. I try to view some of the Whatcha Knitting posts and send comments! It is validating when others like your work! Sometimes it is only our KH brothers and sisters who give a hoot about our work, ya know what I mean?

We go over to our Eastern Washington property for one week in May, June, July, August, and October. Other than that, we are home-bodies! I get antsy during those weeks because it is OFF THE GRID...no elec, no tele, no internet. :pout: It is relaxing, but I am always ready to come home!

I looked for "knit in the round" tank tops in all my books just to get an idea of how many stitches to cast on...but other than that...yeah...this baby was my design. That said, guess what? I got about 10" up...and realized that it was going to be size gargantua...and had to frog it back and eliminate over 100 stitches. What was I thinking??!! Well, that is what comes with the territory when you are flyin' by the seat of yer pants, huh? Sigh. Anyway, I really like it...it fits PERFECTLY. It will serve the purpose under my cardigan!

Stay in touch! Are you on the Ravelry waiting list?

My DH went over to the property this weekend (building materials supply run)...and he said that a bear, or the wild dogs on the mountain, had up-ended our propane BBQ grill!
No other damage in camp however. Hmmm. I asked him about the tracks around the BBQ...and he said he forgot TO LOOK. Then his tracks were all over. He did not see any semblance of a bear paw...just dogs. Well, we have two Treeing Walker Coonhounds...but, we thought their prints would have been blown away by now (we came home on Aug 19). There are wild dogs that bark and bark and bark starting every late afternoon and into almost dawn. What a racket. Coyotes don't do that. Do you think wild dogs could or would up-end a big BBQ GRILL?

Hugs,

Dollyce

debinoz
09-16-2007, 09:08 PM
That is so cute! I was looking for a pattern like that when I was going to make myself a summer top. I need more fullness at the bottom to accomodate the saddlebags, but it would either have to have wider straps or a yoke. Definately can't go braless!! Someday I'm going to suprise everyone and actually get the hang of cables. Good seeing your work, it's always well done and inspiring!

soobeeoz
09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Wonderful idea, and it looks great! :yay:

MerigoldinWA
09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
ArtLady,

I'm glad you are around. I guess I just missed you.

..... guess what? I got about 10" up...and realized that it was going to be size gargantua...and had to frog it back and eliminate over 100 stitches. You do those big swatches too? :lol: Why does it take us so long to notice that we are way off? :shrug: I could sure save myself a lot of time if I paid attention to those sorts of "little" details. I'm glad your top now fits perfectly. ;) With that under your belt, you'll be up to trying something else that needs to be made before you know it. :thumbsup:

I don't get what Ravelry is. I have seen all the commotion abut it, but don't really know what it is. So maybe that answers your question. :lol: No.

DH thinks dogs could knock over your BBQ grill if it smelled like something good and they were trying to figure out how to get at it.

:hug: Merigold

ArtLady1981
09-17-2007, 04:28 AM
That is so cute! I was looking for a pattern like that when I was going to make myself a summer top. I need more fullness at the bottom to accomodate the saddlebags, but it would either have to have wider straps or a yoke. Definately can't go braless!! Someday I'm going to suprise everyone and actually get the hang of cables. Good seeing your work, it's always well done and inspiring!

Hi Deb! :waving:

This top is E-Z. When you are in the mood, we could tinker around with pattern adjustments so that the top will work for you. It was knit in the round, bottom to top...so the secret is 'casting on' the number of stitches to fit your hip area....and doing decreases on your way up to the top...to make it bell shaped.

Or, you could knit a yoke/band first using a "firm" type of stitch...change to st st...and work your way down, increasing as you go.

The wider straps are E-Z to "pick up" and knit later on.