PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a knitting slump....

Quiltlady
09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I can't seem to get interested in knitting anything lately. I've looked thru some of my books but nothing calls me.

I did just finish a vintage, hanky baby quilt. I haven't quilted in about six months...so I think the quilting bug has bite me instead!!:inlove:

The quilt is made of old hankes and I used machine embroidery designs for children. The border and back is an Aunt Grace 1930's repro. fabric. It even looks better in person.

Quiltlady
09-15-2007, 09:38 AM
pictures

dustinac
09-15-2007, 09:44 AM
That is really pretty!!

Silver
09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
That is really lovely!! Congrats!! :cheering:

I'm opposite of you right now. I'm in a quilting slump and only want to knit. I'm *almost* finished with a lovely pink/rosey quilt but can't get motivated to quilt it! But I have like 5 projects on the needles right now. LOL

stitchwitch
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm in a knitting slump too. I felt the knitting need fire back up a couple of weeks ago and I got motivated but I lost it. I think it's the heat here, it's been consistently around 94-98. Maybe when we get a cool front I'll pick up the pace. Right now I'm just "blah" about everything.

ritaw
09-15-2007, 01:00 PM
It is beautiful!
Are there no ends to your talents my friend?

I am sure you will think of something to make soon.

newamy
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
On the hanky quilt, are the designs emboidered on plain white handkercheifs and then sewn toegether?

I ask because my mother has quite a handkercheif collection. They are sort of old fashioned but my mom does use them; and then she has some she just keeps nice. Her sister quilts. Making a quilt of her hankies would be a fun way to keep them and use and see them.

Quiltlady
09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Here is what I did. I used plain muslin fabric and cut it into rectangles. Then I did the machine embroidery on each rectangle. Then I auditioned which hankies would look good with each design. Then I pinned the hankies in place and cut them accordingly. Then I machine stitched each in place. Then I machine stitched each one together to make the quilt top.

I think embroidering on the hankies is a good idea except many of my hankies were very old and very thin. The muslin is a heavier weight fabric to withstand the embroidery and the stabilizer behind it.

I only used the hankies that I didn't mind cutting up. I still have plenty left that I was not willing to use for this quilt.