PDA

View Full Version : It Would Be A Big Help If:

Lighting57
09-17-2007, 10:48 AM
It would be a big help if ...

If you have any suggestions, please list it.

Mine is the following.

It would be a big help if knitting patterns would tell what size the recommended yarn was. You know, like the # 1-6 that is on most wrappers. Then perhaps I could find a suitable substitute.

syndactylus
09-17-2007, 10:52 AM
knitting patterns would always list the models' size/ease.

webs had all the sock yarn I wanted, in every color.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
the instructions were always ACCURATE

rachejm
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
It would be a big help if all my knitting supplies could be purchased from the same place!

Nobones
09-17-2007, 11:33 AM
'Knit Picks' delivered to the U.k!

Actually I think my hubby wouldn't like if they did!:thud:

Susan P.
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
If all abbreviations used in a pattern were written at the beginning as a glossary (I know many are but often not ALL are in more complex patterns).

lauraknits
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
If pattern designers would specify which increase/decrease they used instead of just say "increase" or "decrease" or use the increase/decrease of your choice!

Sure i can always use what I choose, but I want to know what the designer did - sometimes it can really change the look of a garment!

knitgal
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I think it would be a big help if every pattern was labelled with some sort of difficulty rating as sometimes it's hard to know how difficult something is until you actually do it...Although this does make you try knew things, but I'd still like a rating!
I also agree that the patterns should have the weight of the yarn used so that you don't have to go figure out what the weight of the yarn they used is and then figure out how many yards it was etc. etc.

letah75
09-17-2007, 11:55 AM
If gas stations sold DPN's so that when mine split while on vacation last week I didn't have to wait until I got home to finish my knitting project!

laptop_knitter
09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
...there were more independent local yarn shops!

lauraknits
09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
..if each pattern would list total yardage (range corresponding to size range) rather than x number of balls of x yarn...

MrsDavis3
09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Knitting burned 1000 calories per hour.

mwhite
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
If ALL stitch patterns showed stitch count..... 12 + 1 or 8 + 5, etc....

I like to change things around and am not always sure if I've got the count right.

debinoz
09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
manufacturers came up with an acrylic yarn that was as soft as and draped like expensive wool.

Lindsey H
09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I agree, it is a pain to have to google the yarn used in the pattern before I can consider a substitute that won't put us in the poorhouse. BTW that's another thing, many designers use yarn that is just toooooo expensive.

Mulderknitter
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought I was the only one that got frustrated with the yarn type/weight thing. I thought I just didn't get it:shrug:

mwhite
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Debi and Lindsey, have you tried the "Vanna's Choice" from Lionbrand? SOOOO soft!

Sunny_Singer
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
it would be a big help if....

pattern writers wrote out the whole pattern instead of portions of it.

patterns all used the same abbreviations for the same type of stitches..... blah good luck. lol.

Suziblues
09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
It would be a big help if:
There were some YARN STORES around my house!

momwolf
09-17-2007, 04:49 PM
If yarns were ALL labeled in yards!!!
If people who wrote or published the patterns gave us EASY access to corrections!!!!!!!!!!

Jacklad
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
It would be a big help if:

- patterns came with both written instructions and a chart;

- if all patterns came with accurate diagrams with sizes for blocking;

- if those complicated toy patterns (in particular) came with better diagrams (or pictures) of the assembly process;

- if patterns listed gauge both in stockinette and in pattern;

- if Options had adapters to allow you to connect cables to each other (for longer cables) or to themselves (to act as secure stitch holders;

- if Options had compatible crochet hook ends available; it would make picking up stitches so much easier, would help with cramped manoeuvres like nupps, and would also allow the set to be used for Tunisian crochet or cro-hook patterns;

- if all those lovely but expensive yarns held their colour through washing and

- (just in counterpoint) manufacturers came up with an wool yarn that was as soft as and draped like good acrylic. (laugh)

Jackie

Lisa R.
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
- if Options had adapters to allow you to connect cables to each other (for longer cables) or to themselves (to act as secure stitch holders;

Actually, they do come with little caps to put on the cables so you can use them as stitch holders. I find that helpful

Songbirdy
09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I had enough money to pay someone to clean the house for me and cook for me... do my laundry...

I'll still home school my kids but then the rest of the time would be Knitting Time!!!

debinoz
09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I saw "Vanna's Choice" yarn at HL last month when I was there. I didn't touch it because I really didn't like the dull muted colors. They had just gotten it in and only half stocked so they may have better colors now.

mrslevite
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I saw "Vanna's Choice" yarn at HL last month when I was there. I didn't touch it because I really didn't like the dull muted colors. They had just gotten it in and only half stocked so they may have better colors now.The only colors I've seen are the duller, muted colors. Not what I'm looking for now. Even if it's fall colors, I want them to be a little more vibrant than what I've been seeing around here.

It would be a big help if . . .

. . . that 'Knitday' that I was reading about not long ago could be squeezed in, maybe between Sunday and Monday. :roll:

Mulderknitter
09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
actually, the Vanna's choice colors I had at my Michaels' were very similar to the caron's simply soft, which I have seen in very nice gem-like colors. Maybe they just hand't stocked it all? Or I bet you can find more colors online, I know that is the case with most yarns:shrug:

Sajomaro
09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I think it would be a big help if every pattern was labelled with some sort of difficulty rating as sometimes it's hard to know how difficult something is until you actually do it...Although this does make you try knew things, but I'd still like a rating!
It would also would be a big help if these ratings had sub-ratings. If I'm a Beginner knitter and I know how to do the knit stitch and the purl stitch and I want to try doing increases and decreases I need a pattern that just handles those. Lion Brand has the 5 different ones which is a help but it would be nice if all of them did.

Jacklad
09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Actually, they do come with little caps to put on the cables so you can use them as stitch holders. I find that helpful

I've used those, but I'd like to be able to join them in a circle so that I don't have to worry about the ends coming off (which has happened when a WIP is shoved into my knitting basket).

Jackie

Sajomaro
09-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Thought of another one.

It would be a big help if all patterns gave a stitch count at the end of an increase or decrease row.

Ingrid
09-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Knitting burned 1000 calories per hour.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cookworm
09-17-2007, 11:11 PM
It would be a big help if knitting patterns would tell what size the recommended yarn was. You know, like the # 1-6 that is on most wrappers. Then perhaps I could find a suitable substitute.

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves! As soon as I get a pattern, I go searching all over the place to find out what the fiber content is on the yarn, the yardage, the gauge, needle size, etc., just in case I don't want to use the yarn in the pattern, I can't find it, or <gasp!> it's been discontinued. I've learned that if I write that information down on patterns right away when I get them--even if the yarn does become discontinued at some point--I'll always know what the exact information was on that yarn, instead of asking the pattern designer what the information might have been, and hoping somebody might remember the correct information!

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-18-2007, 04:10 AM
It would help if patterns just went ahead and wrote out the directions for the LEFT SIDE.. I really don't want to fiddle w/ figuring out a 'reverse pattern' for the left front.. especially if it's in a more complicated pattern than just stockinette stitch.

ALSO.. if they listed: grams and yardage.. (not all the yarn that I buy where I live has everything listed by yardage- but, grams are always listed.)

List the skills needed at the beginning of the pattern.

dakatzmeow
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
....i had enough money and TIME to do all the projects i want to do.

mwhite
09-18-2007, 09:00 AM
....i had enough money and TIME to do all the projects i want to do.

AMEN!!!!! :thumbsup:

Cia
09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
'Knit Picks' delivered to the U.k!

Actually I think my hubby wouldn't like if they did!:thud:

Ok, I have a tendency to follow links and found this page
(http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/Knit_Picks.html)
Don't know if that would help you, just thought I could just aswwell post the link

rachejm
09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Ok, I have a tendency to follow links and found this page
(http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/Knit_Picks.html)
Don't know if that would help you, just thought I could just aswwell post the link
The range isn't quite as good, but they have the Options set and spares. I think they were trying to get the yarns as well but haven't yet. Its a good site tho, I ordered Cascade 220 on monday and it came on weds with a free pen and sweets so I was happy.

It would be a great help if...I could knit through my lectures and still manage to take in enough info to pass my exams!

candicane
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
If LYS had hours that accomodate the fact that many of us work. Closed 3 days per week with hours 12-6 really forces me to shop online.

candice

Cia
09-18-2007, 12:42 PM
It would be a big help if europe and us had the same needle sizes and yarn yardage and all.
It would be wonderful if knitpicks delivered to sweden
It would be wonderful if there was some way u could touch online yarns.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
It would be a big help if I actually knew what I was doing.

dip's mom
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
i think the wpi index should be used more -- wraps per inch. I think this would make it easier to compare yarns for substitution.
I also would like to see pictures of garments a year after their completion to look for things like pilling and growing. Knitted items always look beautiful when they are made but how do they hold up? I want my knitted items to last and look great for years.

newbieknit
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
If gas stations sold DPN's so that when mine split while on vacation last week I didn't have to wait until I got home to finish my knitting project!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
That would be dreamy :)
I wish I could find all the dpn's I needed at one place
Kats

aslangirl
09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
ONline patterns had a picture larger than a postage stamp!

kellyh57
09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I totally agree with everything here.

Here's mine:
Lion would do away with Homespun and make a pretty yarn with all those colors instead!

Kelly

mare-nitt
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
It would be a big help if........a pull skein had an actual end you could find and pull out. (on the first try!)

Instead of making a mess, that you end up winding into a ball attached to the skein.

annomalley
09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
It would be a big help if...

Pattern writers would put alternate choices of yarn that would work well with that particular pattern because either nobody near me carries the yarn specified or I can't afford the yarn they call out in the pattern or put in their patterns that the yarn they used was a particular size (worsted, bulky, fingering, etc.) so I can find something equivalent.
That all yarn companies put the ball of yarn with the number on it on their ball bands to indicate the size yarn instead of just the gauge.
My LYS would carry Malabrigo, if for nothing else, I could go in and pet the yarn. :whistle:
That Red Heart Super Saver didn't feel so icky. I quit working on a Dr. Who scarf I started for my DH earlier this year because I couldn't stand to work with the yarn anymore and it was the only yarn I could afford at the time that had all the colors I needed to make it...if each pattern would list total yardage (range corresponding to size range) rather than x number of balls of x yarn... :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Mulderknitter
09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Seriously, if we could make the stash a bit invisible. Like only the really pretty yarns that DH agrees I had to buy were visible, and the rest of the closet was invisible. So many not-saying-a-word-when-i-come-home-with-yarn experiences could be avoided.

cdjack
09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I wish patterns told you what kind of increase or decrease to do. You know, like if the pattern read, "ok, now do a left slanting increase".
And I wish all the craft store yarn felt as good as some of it looked.

madidolly
09-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I would like to see the weight of the yarn on BOTH the yarn sleeve and listed in the pattern materials list. I would also like to see yardage on all yarn sleeves. ARGH that makes me crazy. Why can't everyone play nice and do these few simple things in the industry? Thank heavens for sites like http://www.yarndex.com/ that gives you the answers you need on most yarns!

Lieke
09-19-2007, 08:12 AM
it would be a big help if there would just be more hours in a day, so I'd have time left to knit.

Prazzie
09-19-2007, 08:18 AM
it would be a big help if there would just be more hours in a day, so I'd have time left to knit.

HEAR HEAR! I wish for this daily!:pray:

cheesiesmom
09-19-2007, 01:11 PM
It would really help if pattern designers made more plus size patterns in things that are nicer looking than gunny sacks.

Queen of Rust
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I wish I had Hermione's bag so I could carry all my stash, knitting books, needles and WIPs with me where ever I went instead of spending 20 minutes in the morning humming and hawing over whether I should bring my sock project or my shawl project with me that day, only to find that by the time I get to the afternoon, I really feel like working on my sweater while waiting for the bus home.

I wish I they're write out written instructions in a manner that was grouped stitch patterns and subpatterns together. Preferably each on it's own line.

I would also be a big help if I could telepathically explain to my students techniques in the shorthand language that my brain understands but nobody else does.

dagny
09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I "second" (or 12th by now) the motions about indicating yarn weight and yardage in patterns

I wish there were more affordable options for non-acrylic yarns, for us acrylic-sensitive types I wish there were no acrylic snuck into yarns at all :hmm:

I wish a ball winder and swift weren't so expensive

I wish I had a craft room!

pauly81
09-20-2007, 02:44 AM
It would be a big help if there were knitting resorses in small towns.

It would be a big help if the craft stores would tell you when the yarn sales start instead of getting there and being to late because you didn't get there in time, and there is no more.

It would be a big help if I had all the hours in the day to knit

dawnk777
09-27-2007, 12:39 AM
It would be a big help if...

That Red Heart Super Saver didn't feel so icky. I quit working on a Dr. Who scarf I started for my DH earlier this year because I couldn't stand to work with the yarn anymore and it was the only yarn I could afford at the time that had all the colors I needed to make it.:cheering::cheering::cheering:

Yikes, why is that stuff so scratchy? I bought some once, because someone just needed yarn for something (not knitting) and it was cheap. We use it for practice knitting, but my daughters and I almost hate to use it for even that, because it's just so icky! I know I surely wouldn't want to wear ANYTHING made out of it!

It would be a big help if I just had more hours in the day, to knit.

It would be a big help, if the next time I work on the gusset of my sock, that all the stitches would just stay on the dpns!