PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Party?

newknitter44102
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I want to have a knitting themed birthday party this year but I don't have a clue about what I should do. I know for a fact that I want knitting related gifts like books, needles, yarn etc. I know I want so cute finger foods and some cute matini's or something but otherwise I'm clueless, I need help so I'm asking ya'll for advice. I'll be 28, is that too childish?
~~Newknitter44102 a.k.a. Jackie

dustinac
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think it's childish at all... some one posted this a few wks or so... I thought they were really cute and kept the link...you could make any cupcake and then do the icing like in the pictures....

http://veganyumyum.com/2007/06/knit-night-cupcakes/

Also on diy (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wke/episode/0,2046,DIY_14344_38512,00.html)they have some ideas for a knitting party

Here (http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/throwknittingp_skje.htm)is some tips I found just googling Knitting party it focus on if you guys will be knitting...

Here (http://craft.dow.com/craft/proj/1518.htm)is a cute idea I think they are ornaments but might give you an idea for something...

I'm not sure for finger foods... you could make things in a circle shape to represent the yarn ball and then take tooth picks to represent the needles...kinda like this pin (http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1095):shrug:...I'm not sure how you could do the drinks... maybe paint a knitting theme on the outside of them?

I think a knitting party would be really cute :blooby:

marykz
09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
you could name the drinks silly things like Mmmmmmalabrigio MMMMMMartinis...

Jan in CA
09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Those ideas on DIY are great! :yay:

:think: How about something for the coffeetable that everyone could get involved in.. Using straight needles cast on for a narrow scarf and knit a few rows and put it in a big bowl with your favorite colors of yarn and have everyone knit you a birthday scarf! Alternatively you could use it as a door prize to give away at the end of the party and let the winner finish it if it needs it.

scout52
09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
What a great idea. My friends all got me knitting related gifts because of my love for knitting so i don't think that's childish at all.

if you laminate patterns or knitting magazine covers you could use them as placemats. the current vogueknitting would make a very beautiful setting that matches. plus it gives like 24 covers all from one magazine. check out www.vogueknitting.com to see the covers.

you could use jeweled stitch markers for drink markers.

of course you could knit coasters. probably in hemp so its sturdy.

make a seating chart giving your friends all a name of a famous knitting designer.

that's all i could think of for now. but i think a knitting party would be fabulous.

PurlyGyrl
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
You use that squeezy cheese-in-a-can to make "yarn" on crackers:eyes:--other than that I got nuthin':pout:

BTW--I don't think a knitting party is childish--I'd love to have one and I'm definintely not 28 :teehee:

simplethings
09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
If you plan on having your guests knit I think Stephanie Pearl McPhee said in one of her books to make sure all the food is on toothpicks or skewers so knitters don't get their hands (and their wool) dirty. Also, serve clear drinks like water, sprite, ... vodka... so that any accidental spills won't stain yarn.

Arielluria
09-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I'll be 28, is that too childish? Heck no girl!!!!!!!!!!!! Life's meant for living, so enjoy what you enjoy best..........knitting I presume.........if, like the rest of us here you are addicted. :woot:

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muah:I'll be 28 again in December.........for the 12th time.:whistle:

newknitter44102
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Thank you guys soooo much. I talked to my friends at my knitting group and they thought it would be cute too. Now...I just have to find a place. Definitely NOT my apartment. Way too small.. but there are a few local places we could go. So, I'll keep you guys posted and have pics whe the party happens. I'll be 28 on November 7th. I'm a Scorpio and I love it!!!!

cftwo
09-18-2007, 02:41 PM
:waving: Just saying Hi to another Scorpio knitter. I'll be thirty-something on November 5. :) Enjoy your party!

gingerbread
09-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Thank you guys soooo much. I talked to my friends at my knitting group and they thought it would be cute too. Now...I just have to find a place. Definitely NOT my apartment. Way too small.. but there are a few local places we could go. So, I'll keep you guys posted and have pics whe the party happens. I'll be 28 on November 7th. I'm a Scorpio and I love it!!!!
Same here another November Baby mine is on the 13th! And it was a Saturday that year:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

misstialouise
09-19-2007, 09:35 AM
This is exactly what I want for my 32nd birthday :D hehe.. I'm for sure making those cupcakes :D

newknitter44102
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah...some Scorpios in the house!!!! I'm looking at all trhe ideas and i'm waiting for some places to call me back so keep ya'll fingers crossed.

DianaM
09-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Another Scorpio here. I'll be 29 on November 11th.

hob
09-20-2007, 06:00 PM
thats such a cool idea i want one!

feministmama
09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
aw jeez, I wanna go to yer party. Cleveland is not too far from Oregon is it? :shrug:

newknitter44102
09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
You can come if you want to. If you start walking right now you might make it LOL...Just kidding. Who's the pretty little girl in the pic? You ? Your daughter or niece? It reminds me of me when I was younger.

feministmama
09-29-2007, 04:31 PM
You can come if you want to. If you start walking right now you might make it LOL...Just kidding. Who's the pretty little girl in the pic? You ? Your daughter or niece? It reminds me of me when I was younger.

That's me at 4 years old.

I'm actually going to Cincinnati in June for a conference. Are there any good yarn stores between Cleveland and Cincinnati?

Mulderknitter
09-29-2007, 08:30 PM
If you do it you must post pics. that is the requirement.:roflhard:
Is it bad for me to feel sad when I don't get yarn for holiday/birthday presents?:pout:

mrslevite
09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
:waving: Just saying Hi to another Scorpio knitter. I'll be thirty-something on November 5. :) Enjoy your party!Hey, that's my birthday, too! I'll be 48 on 11/5! I just stopped and figured it out this morning? I was wondering when I could stop counting? the numbers just aren't important to me any more.

mrslevite
09-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Oh, and I think a knitting party is a great idea! I have knitting friend with a November birthday, too. Maybe could have one together! :mrgreen:

newknitter44102
10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I've found a location and now i just need people. I think I might be upset if no one comes or doesnt bring me anything because I'm spending some money on this party. AM I selfish to think that way?

misstialouise
10-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Of course, but that's why we have birthday parties.. so we can be selfish without the guilt :D.. :D Well, that's why *I* have birthday parties.. LOL....

knitwit88
10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
"serve" cream colored yarn in chinese takeout boxes with knitting needles stuck in them like chopsticks! Makes great favors and lookes like noodles!