PDA

View Full Version : More bloody health and safety stupidity

willowangel
09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
My bloke called me earlier to let me know about this latest event in health and safety gone mental :

Here's the link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=482143&in_page_id=1774

In another article they talk about older people being allowed to knit in the hospital but not young ones. I'm 26, what am I supposed to do when I go to hospital, which isn't infrequent!

Argh!

rachejm
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Read this earlier. It's Health and Safety gone mad, if there had been a problem I could maybe understand it but there haven't been any problems.

GinnyG
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
:passedout:

knitncook
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Sounds like one needs to take their own knitting when they go to the hospital now.

GiddyKnitter
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
How ridiculous is that!!!
I work for the NHS and have done for many years days and nights and knitting has always been a very popular hobby. I work night shifts now and always take my knitting to work...I dont know how I would cope if they told me I couldn't do my knitting anymore!!

marykz
09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
is that for real? that is ludicrous. just unbelievable stupidity.

PurlyGyrl
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
:noway: What a bunch of doofuses! (or should that be doofi? :teehee:) I especially love the people in the photo--look like real criminal types:hmm:-caption should read : "Drop your valuables, Mister! We've got a pair of knitting needles and we know how to use 'em!":wink:

Jan in CA
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
:noway: Insane I tell you!

Limey
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Where do they get them from?

"We believe this sensible and proactive measure will avoid preventable accidents."

Oh, silly me - it's 'proactive', well, that makes it alright then, he's even used PC jargon - so everyone will just do as he says.

Honestly, can you believe this Bernie Salisbury is Director of nursing and ops?

It's a pity someone else wasn't proactive and didn't give him that job in the first place.

Still, never mind though - I'm sure there are plenty of patients and visitors to tell him where he can shove his advice - and it won't be behind the desk.

Plonker!

McKnitty
09-17-2007, 03:02 PM
That is so silly. If they are going to take away knitting needles, they should also take away pens and pencils (which in my opinion, are sharper).

Rorshach
09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
what about taking away the paper? that causes more damage than a pair of needles does. might as well take the chairs too, those could cause blunt force damage. oh, can't forget the pens and pencils in the office either.

Sunny_Singer
09-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Almost anything used improperly can become a weapon... unbelievable.

The list of "banned" items in society has become hazardous to your health.

dagny
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Ummmm ... wow! This goes on the list of crazy stuff you couldn't make up if you tried.

:noway: What a bunch of doofuses! (or should that be doofi? :teehee:)

:roflhard:

knitncook
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh oh oh, I just got it. The proactive measures are to keep people from getting carpal tunnel from sitting in the waiting room for HOURS knitting away. I mean people might sue due to damages done to them by the knitting process, not the needles themselves. Oh and dont' forget about inflamed arthritis and eye strain. Yes; knitting is truly a danger that we should take proactive measures to protect the public's best interest.

MrsDavis3
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't know about accidents from the needles' sharpness, but I wouldn't use a pair of needles lying around the public areas of a hospital. I'm a retired physician, and it sounds more like an issue for Infection Control. Who knows what kind of personal hygiene the last person who knitted with those needles practiced?

Knitting_Guy
09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
The world has gone truly and completely insane. Political Correctness will be the death of us all.

jennylozano
09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
what about taking away the paper? that causes more damage than a pair of needles does. might as well take the chairs too, those could cause blunt force damage. oh, can't forget the pens and pencils in the office either.

:teehee: Exactly, thats exactly what I was thinking!!! It is simply ridiculous, and as someone else mentioned, if there were accidents reported.... but not even that! :knitting:

lauraknits
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Sad. Just sad.

ready2knit
09-17-2007, 09:58 PM
On the plus side, I'm really glad to know that a country other than the USA has silly rules.:p

Jana

Limey
09-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Mrs.Davies3 wrote:

"not appealing to me
I don't know about accidents from the needles' sharpness, but I wouldn't use a pair of needles lying around the public areas of a hospital. I'm a retired physician, and it sounds more like an issue for Infection Control. Who knows what kind of personal hygiene the last person who knitted with those needles practiced?"

If there were concerns about the spread of MRSA, though, he should have told people that - not made this stupid song and dance about the safety of knitting needle tips.

redwitch
09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't think she meant specifically mrsa or that the h&s guy had it in mind... I don't think the needles would be any dirtier than phones, lift buttons, light switches and doorknobs though.

willowangel
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Speaking of MRSA, now in the UK we're going to have no doctors in long sleeves of any kind - only short sleeve shirts, no doctor's coats, etc. Cuffs are Dangerous. So the temperature of the hospitals is going to have to go up *again* to compensate, and the patients will slowly cook. It's already unbearably hot in hospitals for me, but hey.

hummingbird
09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
:passedout:

just why?
grrr

marykz
09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Speaking of MRSA, now in the UK we're going to have no doctors in long sleeves of any kind - only short sleeve shirts, no doctor's coats, etc. Cuffs are Dangerous. So the temperature of the hospitals is going to have to go up *again* to compensate, and the patients will slowly cook. It's already unbearably hot in hospitals for me, but hey.

I saw that too!! no watches! now the doctors will be even LATER for their appointments..... (they also banned men's neckties, jewelry, the white coats, anything that might transfer germs from patient to patient.) Just put me in the plastic bubble please. don't breathe on me. (sigh)

it makes the whole experience dehumanizing. the nurses won't even take someone's blood pressure without putting on a pair of gloves. whatever happened to the healing touch?

(rant over. sorry....)