PDA

View Full Version : What 3 Books Would YOU Take???

Arielluria
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
At the end of the movie The Time Machine, the scientist's friend notices that he left forever (into the primitive future) taking only 3 books with him. Then someone asks which 3. That ending ALWAYS intrigued me! The implication being that he would change the future by what he used to influence it.

Since my Bible is the only book I would save from a burning building, there's no doubt that's #1, and it certainly has the power to save lives.

:think: I have thought on this for years and have never quite come up with #s 2 & 3 though I love to read. What 3 books would YOU take??????????

1. The Bible
2. ? [perhaps Robinson Crusoe]
3. ?

debinoz
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
A book on natural/herbal medicine
A book on horticulture
A dictionary

Mulderknitter
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I am a Joyce Carol Oates collector/fan/stalker, so I would take all of her 1st signed editions. Every time I read them I see something new.
I would imagine the theme for books for most people would be the same, they would bring books that every time they read them they learn something new, from the bible to a crossword puzzle...

vaknitter
09-17-2007, 09:18 PM
HMMM - I haven't seen the movie so I am not sure if there is something I should be considering as I decide what books I would take.

#1 definitely the King James Bible (grew up with this version)
#2 Grapes of Wrath
#3 would a photo album count as a book ?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-18-2007, 07:34 AM
this is an interesting question.

1. Unabridged annotated Alice in Wonderland
2. The element encyclopedia of magical creatures (mostly because it's GIGANTIC)
3. Vogue Knitting (in the hopes that somewhere, wherever it is that I'd end up, there was some string and sticks around)

Arielluria
09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
3. Vogue Knitting (in the hopes that somewhere, wherever it is that I'd end up, there was some string and sticks around)

I hear ya! :X:

PurlyGyrl
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Only three????????? :shock: I've been known to read that many books in a DAY! :teehee:

Hmmmmm. This will take some pondering!

msoebel
09-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I would take my 3 favorite books of all time:

The Bible (it is always wise...even if you do not believe in God, you will admit that it is wonderful literature).

Jane Eyre

Little Women

It wasn't even that hard to come up with them!

Misty

Arielluria
09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I do love Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights too. Been a while since I read either.

I guess my 3rd would be A Confederacy of Dunces. :roflhard:

I recently posted about it here on KH (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=65701). An undiscovered Pulitzer Prize winner by most readers.

rachejm
09-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking...

1) Pride and Prejudice - because I love it and Jane Austen is my favourite author
2) What Katy Did - because I couldn't part with it when I cleared out my children's books
3) And The Complete Works of Shakespeare

Don't hold me to it cos given lots of time to consider it I'd probably change my mind but looking at my bookshelf those were the ones that jumped out.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
1. Dictionary

2. Thesaurus

3. Complete Works of Plato

Quiltlady
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Okay, If I could only take three books..they would be...

1. "The Last Sin Eater" by Francine Rivers

2. "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers

3. "The Phantom Of the Opera" 2004 :heart:movie companion book.

Arielluria
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
This is great! I'm loving to see all these books you all couldn't live without. It's giving me good ideas about what I might want to read next.
:waving:

Denise in Michigan
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
1) Shakespeare-complete works
2) Lewis Carroll-complete works
3) Gilbert & Sullivan-complete works

Queen of Rust
09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
1- Journey to the West - one of the 4 great chinese literary texts. About the journey of Monkey King to India and enlightenment
2- Importance of Living by Lin Yutang. The original "slow movement' philospher from the 1930's.
3-The Silmarillion by Tolkein.

cftwo
09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
1) I like Mason's idea of the complete works of Plato. I'd take that one, too - my copy is well used and was a gift from my dad when I headed off to college.

2) A volume of the complete works of Shakespeare would be nice, too. You get plays and poetry, drama and comedy and wars and love. It would be difficult to get bored if you had that around.

3) Either the Bible (the Psalms in particular would be nice to have), or a good-sized blank book to write in.

Those would keep me busy for a while.

psammeadred
09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
1. The Bible
2. The complete works of J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

dagny
09-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Doctor Zhivago
Labyrinths by Jorge Luis-Borges
The Odyssey and the Iliad

scout52
09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
1. To Kill a Mockingbird
2. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
3. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowkling

and are we allowed to borrow each other's books in the hopes that we are stranded together? if so could i borrow vogue knitting and the hitchhiker's guide?

cdjack
09-19-2007, 06:29 PM
1. To Kill a Mockingbird
2. Ellen Foster
3. Shakespeare's As You Like It.

Oh, wait, no knitting book...
Three books is just too hard...

debinoz
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
It would be hard to pick just three. I've seen the movie and read the book, but H.G.W. doesn't say which 3 he took. I just assume that they would be on subjects that would help the Eloi survive since they had never had to provide for themselves having been used as "cattle" for the Morlocks.

knitwit88
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Just out of curiosity,. how many of you have actually read these books, like those of Plato and Shakespeare? I would take a cookbook, HP&DH, and a chicken soup book.

rachejm
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Did literature at school, love shakespeare, Macbeth and R&J are my faves, didn't like As You Like It so much - but I got a D on that exam (twice!!!) which might explain why. I haven't read all of them, but that is why I would take the complete works, because there are some old faves in there along with some that would be new reading material.

auburnchick
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
What an interesting thread!

My picks:

1) Bible

2) The Hiding Place (Corrie ten Boom's life was a wonderful testimony to God's providence in the most horrid of times)

3) Anne Frank's Diary

HollyP
10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
AuburnChick I just finished rereading The Hiding Place for the possibly millionth time. I love that book!!

auburnchick
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
AuburnChick I just finished rereading The Hiding Place for the possibly millionth time. I love that book!!

I still have my copy from high school. Isn't that amazing? My daughter has to read it this spring for her high school English class. When she told me the required reading, I dug into my closet and pulled out the book. I am so psyched for her to read it. I think it will really open her eyes to some awe-inspiring work, eh? I also have a devotional book that Corrie ten Boom authored. It's so old, and the pages are brown, but I just love her words of wisdom.