PDA

View Full Version : cat eater !!!

hellokitty165
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
i watch a video on CNN yesterday and there is a report that particularly bothers me alot...

the people in some part of china are eating cats....cats !!!!!

my question first of all...are we running out of food ????????

why CATS ??? it seemed to me they eat anything that fly (not airplane but insects, ants, birds, grasshoppers, stuff like that, things that crawl like snakes etc, and tortise, squirrels, worms etc... they even eat monkey brains, dog meats, since there is such demand out there...people capture wild cats and those that will wondering outside their homes... how sick is that ????? next time coming might be human flesh ... yucks !

beckyrhae
09-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Well... My best answer for you is that it is a different culture and they do not define animals as only "pets" and only "food".

It does not make them bad. Its only cultural differences.

brendajos
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
There are a lot of people who think the same way about eating any animal... There are people in the world who think eating cows is wrong or pigs... there are people who think eating peas and brussel sprouts is wrong. That is what makes people wonderful.... so many amazing differences. ;)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-17-2007, 08:42 PM
they eat dogs in korea... a friend of mine is a master dog groomer... when she had her own shop she had a few clients that wouldn't stop bringing thier dogs in that would bite.. so she asked for recipes for dog (a woman from korea responded) and she put a big sign up "If your dog bites me..." followed by the recipes.

keep in mind my friend adores dogs...

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
See, it's those kind of stories that gross me out so bad, I just can't go back to eating meat:noway:...(My BF and I have been veggie for past 4 years)!

When I think about eating a cow or chicken, I just can't...I guess to some people dogs and cats are just like cattle (and they're not, sorry)....

Ugh...:cry:

Ingrid
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
They have cooked guinea pigs at the open-air market in Malaysia. :shrug: I saw it on Jeff Corwin.

It's all in your perspective, I guess.

IBAmyB
09-17-2007, 10:01 PM
they eat dogs in korea...

Yep, dog meat is called "Gaegogi" in Hangul (Korean).

Most younger Koreans do not eat it today and only a few of the older generation still do.

For the record neither DH nor I ever ate gaegogi while he was stationed in Korea.

Bulgogi is good though! Yum! (a kind of barbecued beef strips).

AnnaT
09-18-2007, 01:38 AM
They have cooked guinea pigs at the open-air market in Malaysia. :shrug: I saw it on Jeff Corwin.

It's all in your perspective, I guess.

My mom saw that and told me about it. Wish she hadn't. Vietnamese eat dogs, I believe.

When I was in college I worked at a Chinese restaurant. The Chinese employees were all completely disgusted by cheese.

Rorshach
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Yeah, I would agree with the cultural differences thing, after all, us americans eat meat that comes from cows, turkeys, chickens etc.

hellokitty165
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
well... i guess i will just take it as cultural differences then... as of Jan 2007 i stop consuming meat totally mainly for health issue... i eat only veggies and seafood... i hope one day will eliminate seafood too...

i read this article it said that you need at least 72 hours to digest your meat in your stomach... i was thinking the meat sitting there so long would have alot of bacteria grown over ...yeee... well ta-ta to meat !

msoebel
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I thought everyone knew about cat meat. No, I've never eaten it, but I have friends who live in China and they learned right away not to let kitty outside. Their chinese friends say that it tastes amazing.

In the Phillipines, they cook baby ducks in their eggs just a few days before hatching...then they crack the eggs open and eat the rubbery little thing, beak, feet and all. It's a delicacy. My friend Trent always liked to make his duckling "sing" at the dinner table when Americans came to visit.

While I certainly don't think I could ever try cat or guinea pig...It's not anything new.

Misty

stitchwitch
09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Watch that Andrew Zimmern show on the Travel Channel if you really want to see some odd stuff. Mosquito egg cakes and fried grasshoppers, yum, yum. :roflhard:
http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foods/bizarre-foods.html

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:40 AM
If you eat meat of any kind there's no difference between eating one sort of animal or another. What's the real difference between eating a chicken and eating a cat or dog?

Why do you think there are no stray cats hanging around Chinese restaurants? :whistle:

jodstr2
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
they eat dogs in korea... a friend of mine is a master dog groomer... when she had her own shop she had a few clients that wouldn't stop bringing thier dogs in that would bite.. so she asked for recipes for dog (a woman from korea responded) and she put a big sign up "If your dog bites me..." followed by the recipes.

keep in mind my friend adores dogs...

:roflhard: that's hilarious!

cheesiesmom
09-19-2007, 01:54 PM
When Korea was getting ready for the Seoul Olympics, they had to bring in people from other countries to teach them how to make cheese to accommodate the tastes of the visiting athletes. And there was a concerted effort to close up the dog shops (puppy actually, according to the WSJ article).

We used to have Korean neighbors (they totally kept to themselves and didn't get along with any of the others on the block). Whatever they used to grill on the patio smelled (stunk) to high heaven.

IBAmyB
09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
We used to have Korean neighbors (they totally kept to themselves and didn't get along with any of the others on the block). Whatever they used to grill on the patio smelled (stunk) to high heaven.

I wonder if they were making Kimchi? It's not grilled, but it is fermented vegtables and does have a paticular odor to it). The most common is cabbage. Most Westeners don't like it but I do. Then again, I like sauerkraut too. :)

Kaydee
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Watch that Andrew Zimmern show on the Travel Channel if you really want to see some odd stuff. Mosquito egg cakes and fried grasshoppers, yum, yum. :roflhard:
http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foods/bizarre-foods.html

I love Andrew Zimmern!! I made my roommate watch it the other night and she said it was all she could talk about the next day at work. He eates some crazy things, but its so interesting!

Queen of Rust
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I some parts of the world they stick baby calfs into boxes and force them to not move so their meat will be as tender as possible.
There're factories filled with chickens that have to be debeaked because they're so stressed out from being stuck in a cage with several other chickens that they start attacking each other.
There're corporate farms where they feed chicken parts back to other chickens. They feed those parts to cows too (despite the fact that they're herbivores). They feed the whole freaking barnyard to the pig. They stuff all of these with drugs, hormones and other tasty tidbits. Guess who gets to eat these critters.
These countries and their eaters think this is perfectly fine, or at least worth cost of having cheap meat at every meal. You probably live in such a country.

At least the cat was allowed to roam about and be a cat as opposed to our corporate farms that treat their animals like factory flesh machinery.

And yes, us Chinese will eat anything that moves. In fact, we prefer it alive and kicking the moment before it hits the pot. It's proof that the critter was healthy and good eats. Any idea how healthy or clean that saran wrapped chunk of beef in the styrofoam tray is?

knitasha
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
And yes, us Chinese will eat anything that moves. In fact, we prefer it alive and kicking the moment before it hits the pot. It's proof that the critter was healthy and good eats. Any idea how healthy or clean that saran wrapped chunk of beef in the styrofoam tray is?

It's not just the Chinese, but anybody who prizes freshness, health and flavor. Many ethnic neighborhoods have live poultry shops where you can select your own chicken (or duck or goose or turkey or goat), have it slaughtered and cleaned, and take it home to cook. You may not know how the animal was raised, but you do know that the meat is fresh. My Russian grandmother would never have bought a dead chicken, or a dead fish, for that matter. To her, it would have been like eating roadkill.

Nowadays, you'll find live poultry shops in Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern and Caribbean neighborhoods. You can also find kosher and halal butcher shops if you go outside the supermarket loop. And fresh fish markets. Or you can look for meat from humanely raised sheep, pigs and cows from local farms or at farmers markets. (You can also legally raise chickens in New York City, but you need a backyard for that.) Or you can become a 6-day-a-week vegetarian and only buy fresh meat occasionally, if at all.

But like my grandmother, there's no way I'm going to eat factory-raised, antibiotic-stuffed, preservative-packed, god-knows-from-where-it-comes-or-how-long-it's-been-there supermarket meat.

Mulderknitter
09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
While I cringe at the idea of eating cat or dog, my stepfather has a sheep farm, and sometimes raises chicken, rabbit and duck for food as well. He believes in home grown food, including meat. He treats all of his animals with the utmost respect and medical/personal care, adn often says that his sheep have the best lives up until the moment they go to the butcher.
I have bought from him and a lot of my friends have as well. I like knowing that I have seen the conditions (20acres of free roam) and I know he doesn't use any icky stuff on them. I like knowing where my food comes from
On the other hand, for pot luck I made a lamb chow mein, and made sure to put a label on saying it had home grown lamb on it. some people tried it, others said they didn't "like knowing there was a face to it" WHAT????? meat has a face! While I admit I would never be able to butcher my own meat, it does come from an animal! I would much rather know where that animal came from and how it was treated than pick up a styrofoam package from the grocery store!