PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Irish Hiking Scarf - Update

Knitting_Guy
09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
After what seems like forever I finally found some knitting time recently and made some real progress on the scarf.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/scarf1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/scarf2.jpg

Slim
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh, wow, Mason! It is so beautiful. I love the yarn you chose. It won't be long now!

beckyrhae
09-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Looking good Mason. Not much longer and you will be sporting it in style.

*KnitPixie*
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
looks very nice mason:inlove:What yarn did you use for it?

Knitting_Guy
09-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks, it's Caron Simply Soft Shadows.

MerigoldinWA
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Beautiful! There is a lot of knitting in that scarf. Do you use a cable needle or cable without using a cable needle?

Knitting_Guy
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Beautiful! There is a lot of knitting in that scarf. Do you use a cable needle or cable without using a cable needle?

Thanks. I am currently using a DPN for a cable needle as I seem to have left my cable needle in some hotel room and haven't yet replaced it. The DPN works just fine. Cabling without a cable needle looks like more trouble than it's worth to me.

Itsabtme
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Mason that is amazing and the colors are beautiful! I LOVE it! :flirt:

Awesome job:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi'ya Mason! :waving:

Your IHS is truly a knitted work of art! Love your colorway choice! Thanks for updating us!

MerigoldinWA
09-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I am currently using a DPN for a cable needle as I seem to have left my cable needle in some hotel room and haven't yet replaced it. The DPN works just fine. Cabling without a cable needle looks like more trouble than it's worth to me.

Thanks for the answer. I have never tried using a DPN for a cable needle, but then I haven't been staying in a lot of hotel rooms lately either (so as to lose my CN :-)). Necessity causes us to do a lot of things in order to keep knitting. I agree with you about the idea of no cable needle. It always looks like so much fiddling around. But some folks love that technique.

cinnamon_girl
09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Love the colors! Very nice work!! I just started Silver's scarf (based on the IHS) but I'm not loving my yarn choice. That Caron yarn looks like it knits up nice. I'm going to have to check it out.
oh, and I'm using a dpn too. I couldn't find my cable needle in my knitting bag and a set of bamboo dpn's was all I had on the train with me. Does the job. :thumbsup:

newamy
09-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Great looking scarf. You're work has paid off.

Dangles
09-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Mason, what a beautiful scarf! Great job.

AnnaT
09-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks, it's Caron Simply Soft Shadows.

How beautiful! What a perfect choice for that pattern!

Jan in CA
09-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Looks like it's almost done! It's beautiful!

Debkcs
09-18-2007, 01:51 AM
You do great work!

I use to drive a rig, spent hours crocheting while waiting for the truck to be unloaded, or reloaded.

There's a truck stop in northern PA that has a yarn 'store' in it where I'd pick up a skein or two, think it was all donated, but they had some nice things.

dustinac
09-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Looks great :happydance:

dawnk777
09-18-2007, 08:19 AM
That's beautiful! I can't wait to see it all finished!

PurlyGyrl
09-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Excellent work :thumbsup:-I love your color choice.

sue in canada
09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Looks great. That yarn looks wonderful in that pattern.

nicoleheather
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
:inlove::inlove::inlove:
GREAT job!!!!! I love that yarn! It will look great when it's done. Can't wait to see the finished thing. Is this a gift or is it for you? How long is it/do you want it to be when it's done?
:knitting:Nicole

Suziblues
09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
HEY I LIKE THAT!:thumbsup:

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi,
I've used double pointed needles, a toothpick, a match.. many things will work-- when you aren't at home or have lost your cable needle.

I like the colors- I made that scarf a couple of times last year as 'guy gifts' and they liked it a lot and actually wore them!

:D

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the answer. I have never tried using a DPN for a cable needle, but then I haven't been staying in a lot of hotel rooms lately either (so as to lose my CN :-)). Necessity causes us to do a lot of things in order to keep knitting. I agree with you about the idea of no cable needle. It always looks like so much fiddling around. But some folks love that technique.

I prefer using an actual cable needle since it's curved and lays out of the way, but the DPN actually works quite well and now that I'm used to using it find it quite suitable.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Looks like it's almost done! It's beautiful!

Thanks, but it's only about 1/3 of the way done. Only knitting a short time here and there it takes forever, but since I'm knitting for the relaxation I'm in no hurry.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
You do great work!

I use to drive a rig, spent hours crocheting while waiting for the truck to be unloaded, or reloaded.

There's a truck stop in northern PA that has a yarn 'store' in it where I'd pick up a skein or two, think it was all donated, but they had some nice things.

No kidding? Where is this truckstop? I don't think I've ever seen yarn in a truckstop.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
:inlove::inlove::inlove:
GREAT job!!!!! I love that yarn! It will look great when it's done. Can't wait to see the finished thing. Is this a gift or is it for you? How long is it/do you want it to be when it's done?
:knitting:Nicole

It's for me. I won't start knitting gifts until my skill improves. I still make a lot of mistakes.

It should be about 6 feet long when finished.

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi,
I've used double pointed needles, a toothpick, a match.. many things will work-- when you aren't at home or have lost your cable needle.

I like the colors- I made that scarf a couple of times last year as 'guy gifts' and they liked it a lot and actually wore them!

:D

I was using a large paperclip until I realized I could use a DPN.

The pattern is something that appeals to a guy. That's why I chose it as the scarf is for myself.

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Mason,
I knitted one out of a grey tweed- it looked really nice and the other one??? I think it was a dark blue.. almost navy blue. You are doing a good job on your scarf.

I also made a light blue tweedy celtic knot stitch pattern for a departing AP (assistant principal)... it turned out really good too. :D I used a camel wool/merino wool. IF YOU CAN DO A CABLE you can do this stitch too. It's just a cable. Honest!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1090/1401757159_e4e6e0e199_m.jpg

sinistral_needler
09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Great job, Mason. It looks fantastic.

Mariblue
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
That's looking great! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Mason,
I knitted one out of a grey tweed- it looked really nice and the other one??? I think it was a dark blue.. almost navy blue. You are doing a good job on your scarf.

I also made a light blue tweedy celtic knot stitch pattern for a departing AP (assistant principal)... it turned out really good too. :D I used a camel wool/merino wool. IF YOU CAN DO A CABLE you can do this stitch too. It's just a cable. Honest!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1090/1401757159_e4e6e0e199_m.jpg

Thanks, the Celtic knot is on my to-do list. I really like the look.

I have an idea for a cabled scarf design using a black yarn for the bulk of the scarf and a white yarn for the cabling. I think it would lend itself well to the Celtic knot design as I am thinking of a single cable pattern up the center of the scarf.

dagny
09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
That's gorgeous, you really chose the perfect color for it. Nice!

Prazzie
09-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Wow, that looks magical. I love the yarn, I Googled for it as soon as you said what it was. I'm itching to order some, because that is a real looker of a scarf. I guess I'll restrain myself for now, but I'm saving your image in my "Inspiration" folder with the name of the yarn in the title. Gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

Sissy
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Mason,
I love your scarf........I want to make one too!:woohoo:Sissy

laikabear
09-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Beautiful scarf Mason! I love the colors. They look magical, must be that DPN. :rofl:

Tutu Carol
09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Your scarf is absolutely wonderful !!!