PDA

View Full Version : An Aha! Moment

Knitting_Guy
09-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I'll admit that up to now I've always had trouble "'reading" stitches, being able to look at the stitches on the needles and tell the knits from the purls. It's easy in the actual worked part, but what was on the needles eluded me. Until now.

I was knitting on the scarf and got a phone call in the middle of a row. I set it aside and took the call. When I picked it back up I was like "where was I?" Before I would have just counted the stitches to figure it out but this time I looked at the stitches and saw that the next two stitches were knit stitches, followed by two purl stitches, and I knew exactly where I left off in the pattern.

That little light bulb went off and I realized that somewhere along the way I learned how to read the stitches and tell the knits from the purls on the needles.

It's very handy to be able to tell them apart as it makes it a whole lot easier if you lose track of where you are in the pattern.

Ok, so I'm slow, but I finally 'get it'.

newbieknit
09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I do believe that moment creeps up on most of us. I know that I remember the exact moment when it seemed to all just make sense like never before. I thought, "OMG I just read knit!!".

I am happy that you have reached that point as well... it's all down hill from here!

Kats

Jan in CA
09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
:thumbsup: I'm always telling new knitters that. It makes a lot of difference!

PaperGirl
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Yay! I remember that light bulb!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Congratulations!!!! :cheering:

McKnitty
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Congratulations! It took me quite a while to 'get it' too, but it has made all the difference in my knitting. Now I notice mistakes much sooner and I know how to fix those mistakes! This has also made me more relaxed when I knit.

Hoo-ray for you! :woohoo:

dreamsherl
09-18-2007, 05:47 PM
The force is with you. http://planetsmilies.net/star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

Carla1019
09-18-2007, 05:55 PM
That Great Mason. I am knitting the same scarf.. It is nice when you can "read" knit.

DianaM
09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
It took me a while to figure that out too. Feels great ain't it? ^__^

Dangles
09-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Yipee :cheering: Mason! Less counting for you now. :D

Kels Joy.
09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
aww jealousssss! go mason for being smarter than me! lol :cheering::cheering::cheering:

misha rf
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Hee! I remember when I figured that out. Couldn't believe that it took me so long, either. :rofl:

SabrinaJL
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I had that moment too. My favorite aha! moment was when I realized that instead of tinking back to a mistake, I could just drop the stitch, fix it and pick it back up with a crochet hook. What a time saver that is.

panchita
09-19-2007, 12:11 AM
I had that moment too. My favorite aha! moment was when I realized that instead of tinking back to a mistake, I could just drop the stitch, fix it and pick it back up with a crochet hook. What a time saver that is.

That's the best! I do that, too. It's fun to have attained a proficient level of knitting literacy.

Knitting_Guy
09-19-2007, 01:28 AM
aww jealousssss! go mason for being smarter than me! lol :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Nah, not smarter by a long shot. It took me quite a while. You'll get there too. It's funny but now it just seems so frigging obvious.

Knitting_Guy
09-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Hee! I remember when I figured that out. Couldn't believe that it took me so long, either. :rofl:

Exactly. Why does it take so long? Dense brain matter? :rofl:

Sunny_Singer
09-19-2007, 03:00 AM
I just figured that out in August too.

Kind of startling - it just kind of hits you full force.

gingerbread
09-19-2007, 05:31 AM
It is great once you can read the knits from the purls. Congrats:clink::clink: It all comes in time for us sometimes longer.:passedout:

cindycactus
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Me too Sabrina. That saves a lot of frogging. I am teaching a friend to knit and I keep telling her that one day she will recognize the stitches. I will tell her about your aha moment Mason. Congratulations:cheering:

PugMom
09-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes - it's great to finally read the knitting. It makes it SO much easier! I know when I heard people talking about reading knitting prior to me actually being able to, I was baffled. And one day it just clicks!

Lisa R.
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM
The lady that was helping me along kept talking about "reading your knitting." I thought I'd never get to that point, but the "a-ha" is such a great feeling!

I was thrilled just last night to be able to help my daughter who's also learning to knit, figure out a mistake--that was a milestone for me--to be able to look at someone else's stuff and figure it out!

It all comes in little steps. :)

Ronda
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The force is with you. http://planetsmilies.net/star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

I love that little smiley thing!!!

Mason, I think I just recently figured out the same thing. Cool, isn't it?!

Knitting_Guy
09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Mason, I think I just recently figured out the same thing. Cool, isn't it?!

Very cool. Makes the whole thing so much easier. Now it just looks so obvious I can't believe it took so long to see it.

jodstr2
09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
yay Mason! good feeling, isn't it? :cheering:

I finally had my 'aha' moment when I realized I had just finished *calmly* ('calmly' is unusual for me in this situation) picking up a dropped stitch in a cable that had ran down about 8 rows. how I even cabled without noticing that one stitch missing is beyond me. :rofl:

Queen of Rust
09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Right on!
I once had a conversation with a computer software whiz and we compared the computer language of binary code to the language of knit and purl. I felt very smart that day :cool:

Being able to read stitches is kinda like looking at a Magic Eye picture (remember those and the ensuing eye strain those caused?). Once you see it, you can't stop seeing it.

laikabear
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I got lucky and in one of Amy's videos she explains how to tell the difference. On the needles, if you picture the loops that are on the needles as heads of little guys (or gals), the knit stitches look like they are wearing a scarf around their necks. The purl stitches look like they have a noose around their necks. I remember it because I hate to purl.

That probably doesn't make sense typed out with no visual, but I think it was on the video "Small Project Demo" which was SO HELPFUL to me starting out!!!! I agree it makes all the difference, and then you begin to figure out how to fix mistakes. :happydance:

I never could see those Magic Eye pictures, though. :teehee:

Jan in CA
09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Another ah HAH! moment is when you learn to tell a twisted stitch and learn how to fix it! That helps if you have to frog a lot. :shifty: :teehee:

Doublereeder2
09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
:woohoo: Congrats! It was not too long ago when I arrived at the same place.

You have been assimilated....:guyknitting:

pauly81
09-20-2007, 02:24 AM
every knitting book tells me it's a whole lot easier to know what your stitches look like. I never thought about it, and I found out why when I got distracted, and had to count. I am still learning to do it. The light bulb hasn't came on yet Im knitting in the dark.

auburnchick
09-20-2007, 11:42 PM
That's great Mason! I love when light bulbs go on! Makes the little things in life so much more pleasant, eh? :cheering:

mrslevite
09-21-2007, 07:44 AM
I had an "Aha Moment" myself, last night. :mrgreen:

I had watched the video in the past for purling continental style and tried it. But it just didn't work for me. My fingers didn't move like that. :roll:

But last night, on a whim, I decided to try it again. And it worked! I could do it! Yay!!!! Life is good now! :yay:

knitasha
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes!
You are now the true boss of your own knitting.

MMario
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Mason, glad to see you are knitting away and progressing! Stop in over at MWK - you're missed!

I never had an A-HAH! moment re: reading my knitting - probably because it took me 40 years to figure out how to purl at *all* By the time I could make a purl stitch I already knew how to read my knitting - the ones that weren't the stitches I already knew were the purls!

winterblues
09-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Usually the bulb lights up at the most surprising times. Congrats!! :happydance: :woohoo:

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
every knitting book tells me it's a whole lot easier to know what your stitches look like. I never thought about it, and I found out why when I got distracted, and had to count. I am still learning to do it. The light bulb hasn't came on yet Im knitting in the dark.

Yeah I had the same problem. Somewhere along the way it just seems to happen when you aren't trying. Knitting the Irish Hiking Scarf pattern did it for me as it was rows and rows and rows of a distinct pattern. It just sort of appeared and now it just seems obvious.

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Mason, glad to see you are knitting away and progressing! Stop in over at MWK - you're missed!

I never had an A-HAH! moment re: reading my knitting - probably because it took me 40 years to figure out how to purl at *all* By the time I could make a purl stitch I already knew how to read my knitting - the ones that weren't the stitches I already knew were the purls!

Thanks Mario. I guess I haven't stopped in over at MWK in a while. I've been so busy with work that my net time has been a little limited. I'll make a point of it. Thanks for the reminder.

Jenn_Knitter
09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
That's always a good feeling when you learn to recognize what stitches are supposed to look like on your needles. It saves a lot of time and heartache. That was something that, when it dawned on me (the actual mechanics of the stitches), made my knitting a whole lot easier. It also made it a lot easier to go back and correct mistakes.

ArtLady1981
09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi'ya Mason! :waving: I wanna grow up to be like YOU: able to read computerese! We all have our learning curve! :thumbsup: Up until about 5 years ago...I didn't know how to turn a computer ON. Literally. :shrug:

Congrats on the lightbulb moment! :thumbsup:

bip
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
How cool! I love it when that happens, there are more knitting things like that in store for you :)

To me, it feels like that moment when you are looking at one of those 3-D Magic Eye pictures, and it suddenly pops out and then you can't believe you couldn't see it before and you can't make it go away.