PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Suggestions?

retireddiva
09-18-2007, 07:42 PM
My DH & I need to get a new computer, ours is so old (probably 9 or 10 years!). Anybody have any suggestions? I haven't been able to bookmark anything for a while! All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Retireddiva

dreamsherl
09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
All of my computers are Dell's and they work good. I would stay away from dual processors.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I just bought a sony vaio desktop (http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/category/desktops). It's all in one--the CPU and all the little hook-ins are connected to the back of the monitor. There's also TV and cable inputs. It has 4 USB ports, a wireless mouse and keyboard (and the keyboard has a little protective flap thingy to put up when it's not in use) and a built in camera. The sound is MAGNIFICENT and it's super fast. I'm not having any problems with windows vista.
HTH

dakatzmeow
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
i have a dell and it is fine. when i'm ready to buy again, i'm going to seriously consider a mac.

Carrie218
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I have been a Mac owner for almost 30 years, despite having to work on a PC in every job I have ever had. I now run a computer company and I have three systems; a PC that runs the Microsoft world, a PC that runs Ubunto (a Linux system), and my Mac.

I use the Mac more than anything else and would still recommend it more than any other system I have (and believe me, I have VERY GOOD, high-end, top-of-the-line computers).

Buy a Mac!

Rorshach
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
While there's nothing wrong with Dual procs, the downside to getting a computer with that is, that unless you're into either high end graphics programs, or top-notch gaming, it's wasted processor power.

On the other hand, most computers these days are dual core, especially if you're going with intel. As far as which brand to buy, well that's pretty much a matter of what you're comfortable with, most major name brand computers are pretty much all the same as far as computer parts go.

Best thing you could probably do, is do a little research, if you're used to Windows, then switching to a Macintosh machine, or Linux machine is going to require a decent learning curve. When it comes down to buying a computer, I hate to say it, but it's a lot like buying a car.

Knitting_Guy
09-19-2007, 01:23 AM
It depends on what you want to use it for and how much you can afford to spend. If your budget is tight I'd suggest buying an eMachines system from Wal Mart. They're a decent machine for the money and once you add some decent RAm they're really not bad at all.

If you can afford a better machine I'd order one from Dell.

gingerbread
09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I just got the e-machine from wal-mart in March,
I don't do much just come here and look up patterns. It is a great machine. Now like Mason said if you are going to do more with it then, you should get a more higher end machine.

knitasha
09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I am always attracted to the style of MACS, but when I buy computers I always end up with Dells. (I have two laptops and a desktop at the moment.)

I've been hearing bad things recently about their fulfillment and service and yes, shipment on my latest laptop was delayed by two weeks. But I've always been pleased with their service. At one point something strange happened to my desktop machine, which I use for work. The techie on the other end of the line did a quick diagnosis and I received a new motherboard by Fedex the next day. One day later a technician came to install it. I had an extended warranty, which I generally don't bother with. But in this case it was worth every cent.

auburnchick
09-19-2007, 02:18 PM
The new macs are really, really cool. That said, I don't think you'll go wrong with either a Dell or a Mac. The Mac will probably cost you more, but you'll have so much fun trying something new!!!

retireddiva
09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!! I'll be sooo happy to get a new computer, this one freezes up at least 3 times a day! Sounds like Dell and Macs are the way to go, my DH will do the research and we'll probably go to Best Buy (I love Best Buy) and start checking them all out. Then we're going to get Verizon Fios which just became available in our neighborhood. We still have another 1 year contract with Direct TV but we'll get our computer and phone with Fios. Hopefully, I won't have any more computer frustrations in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys!