PDA

View Full Version : changing yarn in crochet

shortnsweetly
09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a great scarf pattern I want to use for christmas presents, but I need to change colors by starting new yarn several times. I know how to do this in knitting, but not crochet. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Riss
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I was never officially taught how to do it, so I kind of figured it out myself. It'll be something you might have to play around with to get it right.

At the end of your row, you can break the yarn and tie off that row like you normally would. Then turn, and insert hook, bring up a loop with the new yarn, bring both ends of the yarn through the loop, pulling the loose end all the way through. Then you'd do your chains, and continue on...

If you want, you can work over the end of the last row's yarn, by laying it on top of the row you'll be working into, as if it was just a part of the previous row. (kind of hard to explain...) And that'll save you from having to weave in that end. :)

shortnsweetly
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Awesome, I cant wait to try it. Thanks, I understood it all and it seems like it will work. Much appreciated!

Yarnlady
09-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I just loop the yarn over the hook where I want the new color to start and continue crocheting. After a few rows I'll go back and clip the old color leaving six or so inches to weave in later.

robynbird
09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I do the same as Yarnlady. At the end of the one color, I do the stitch until the final pull through then I change to the second color, do the final pull through and chain then turn. It's really an invisible color change.

EssenceRose
09-21-2007, 07:49 AM
I work the new color into the last two stitches of the row (of the old color).

So for example, if I was working on rows of red and needed to change to yellow I would work in red until the last two stitches of the row. Then I would use the yellow to make the last two stitches (one of them usually being a slip stitch), turn, and continue using yellow.

I'm not sure why... I've just always changed colors by working the new color into the last two stitches of a row. I hope that made sense.

CDBear
09-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I was taught to go to the last two loops of the first color, drop color 1 and pick up color 2, and finish the stitch. I hope that makes sense.