PDA

View Full Version : I am about to become a yarn snob...

Brandy_m
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
OMGoodness!! Just got an order of Malabrigo in the mail for some scarves for Christmas presents.....

:muah: WOW!!!

I may never go back to Lion brand wool again :roflhard:

PurlyGyrl
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Insert evil :twisted: laugh here:

You have gone over to the dark side :evil:, there is no turning back now!!!!:teehee:

Lovely ain't it??!:-P

Songbirdy
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
I found a local yarn store that had some 'mmm' and I hardly dared to touch it, lol!

It was very nice... but I only quick touched it. Too much other stuff to knit up first!

But since hanging around here the first time I have become a yarn snob. I have to say my favourite is cotton.

Brandy_m
09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
It is so pretty!!! And its not horribly expensive either!!

(Now so far I have resisted the gorgeous $24/skein sock yarn I saw at the same site...so far)!

Arielluria
09-20-2007, 01:56 PM
OMGoodness!! Just got an order of Malabrigo in the mail for some scarves for Christmas presents.....

:muah: WOW!!!

I may never go back to Lion brand wool again :roflhard:I better stay away from it then!:teehee:

Arielluria
09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
OK........so say I want to make a scarf with Malabrigo.........how many grams or skeins of 50g would it take?????????
:flirt:

Ingrid
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Each skein has about 200 yards, so two make a nice long scarf.

Brandy_m
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
actually, the Touch of Whimsy scarf only takes one skein

http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/10/touch-of-whimsy-scarf-pattern.html

and I ordered from fabulousyarns.com and it was only about $10.00. Ordered on Sunday and it came today!

KT120
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I too have become a yarn snob and its all mmalabrigo's fault. In fact yesterday I happen to be in the city and decided to stop by a LYS. I ended up buying a hank of a color I loved and haven't found elsewhere (brown berries a pink with brown combo) and 2 new hanks of Brillante.
Yeah, I may have a problem in holding off buying yarn. But what to do with them now? Hmm....

brendajos
09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
If i recall (and i haven't looked at it in a little while) the Rebecca had said that the one skein touch of whimsey was a little shorter than she likes. (I could be making that up though.) I did a feather and fan in one skein that is about four inches wide. It fits nicely around my neck when i double it and pull the ends through. There isn't much of the end left over though and i do like my scarves a bit longer than that. So if I could have gotten another skein of that same colorway I would have done so to make it longer. But one skein does make a nice shorter scarf.

brendajos
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I may have a problem in holding off buying yarn. But what to do with them now? Hmm....

Unless I go in for something specific, I always wait for them to tell me what they want to be! ;)

I have a couple of gorgeous hanks of water green that need to hurry up and tell me what they are because i love that color so much!

mom232
09-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm with you all on being a yarn snob. LOL. I can't help it.

mrslevite
09-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I had to go look and see what everyone is talking about. And the colors are beautiful! But it looks to me like these are singles and not plied. Is that right or am I just not looking close enough?

Ingrid
09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
It's not tightly plied, no. But knitting with it is a dream!:heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I made a 9-foot by 6-inch 2x2ribbed scarf with an attached hood (loosely based on the project in tracy ulman's knit2together book) and I used almost 2 skeins, with maybe 5 or 6 yards left over

mrslevite
09-20-2007, 08:18 PM
It's not tightly plied, no. But knitting with it is a dream!:heart:Thanks! I may have to give it a try. :D

rebecca
09-27-2007, 05:55 PM
If i recall (and i haven't looked at it in a little while) the Rebecca had said that the one skein touch of whimsey was a little shorter than she likes. (I could be making that up though.)

Nah, you weren't making it up, Bren, lol! My personal taste in scarves runs long, the one I'm knitting for me will probably be about 10 ft long. But, A Touch of Whimsy Scarf (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/10/touch-of-whimsy-scarf-pattern.html) with one skein of Malabrigo (which is what I had when I designed it :wink:) is 5 in. wide & 5 ft. long...perfect for my sister's Christmas gift last year :cheering:

Brandy_m
09-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Thank you Rebecca!!! I ordered one skein for the scarves I'm making so it will have to do :grin: But that is a LOVELY and easy to understand and follow pattern for this beginner knitter!!! Its working up so beautifully!! (I have about 150 rows done)