PDA

View Full Version : Blocking And A Curious Cat

jdee
09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
I need some advice. Last year, I knitted a scarf for a Christmas gift. I don't like to block, but since it was a gift, I decided I should block it.

I had it laid out, and pinned to a towel, on the ironing board in the extra bedroom. When I went back in there to get something, I was horrified to see one of my cats on top of the ironing board, picking out the blocking pins with his teeth. I still shudder when I think of what could have happened to him if I hadn't walked in when I did.

After that, I didn't block anything anymore. I've been afraid to. It hasn't really been necessary, because I've been knitting a lot of socks, and they don't really have to be blocked, but I've recently started my first sweater. I've finished the front and back pieces, and have started the sleeves, and I can tell already, that it's going to need to be blocked before I seam it. What can I do? I can't endanger my cat's health. Is it possible to seam a sweater without blocking?

Please, help me. Any advice is appreciated.

Jan in CA
09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Can you block in a room behind a closed door?

LadyB
09-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I know that "everyone" says you must block, but I guess I'm the knitting heretic, because I NEVER block. I've also never had any problems because of it.

If you feel you must block, placing it behind closed doors, as Jan suggested, is the only thing I can think of. :shrug:

jdee
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I haven't closed the door, because thier litter box is in there, but that probably is the best idea. I could just put the litter in another room for a few days, and close the door. Thank you both.

LadyB
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
After thinking about it a bit, I remembered seeing these (http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/900013.htm). Perhaps they would work for you?

ETA: Instead of using pins (as shown in the pic) you could use safety pins to hold it to the towel. Hopefully, they would pose more of a challenge to your cats. If using a board, perhaps you could hold the blockers in place with clamps.

Jan in CA
09-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I understand about the litterbox. We've had the same problem (not with blocking) with figuring out what do when we needed to close the door. Fortunately in this house I've got plenty of rooms to lock her out of. :teehee:

jdee
09-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Our house isn't very big, but I think I could relocate the box to the bathroom, or utility room. Both are very small rooms, but it would only be for a few days.

Ingrid
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
When I block sweaters, I don't pin them. The wet wool seems to be heavy enough to hold it's shape when I lay it out. I have to put a sweater dryer on top of the sweater to keep the cats off, though.

jdee
09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Ingrid. I think I'll try that first. The yarn cascade sierra, which is a cotton, and wool blend. Maybe there's enough wool to hold it flat.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
I remember seeing blocking CLIPS someplace... or maybe I am imagining it. :??

feministmama
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Here they are

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300295.htm

jdee
09-20-2007, 10:22 PM
:inlove:Wow! I LOVE those! Thanks for the link.

jdee
10-17-2007, 07:22 PM
My problem is solved. At least for now. It's so simple, I don't know how I didn't think of it sooner....

I locked the pet door, and blocked my pieces on the screened in porch. My front and back are done, and I just pinned my sleeves down. Now if can seam it together nicely, I'll be very happy. (I don't seem to have inherited my Mom's sewing talent.)