PDA

View Full Version : Cashmere too warm? Update: With Pics now

cando
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm planning to make the Manly Sweater in 100% Mongolian cashmere for my hubby. It's to be an anniversary present :inlove:

Do you think it will be too warm? We live in northern CO and do have pretty cold winters.

Thank you!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't think this site (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cashmere.htm) really answers your question, but it was interesting to read.

My understanding is that alpaca is SUUUUUUUPER warm... so maybe someone here who has knitted with both can give us a comparison?

redwitch
09-21-2007, 02:51 AM
People often say that a fibre is x times warmer than wool, but it's often different depending on who's making the claims, and I am not aware of anyone who actually has measured such a property. Why don't they tell you? I honestly think half the time it is a guess. Or wishful thinking, or PR crap.
If you are worried, maybe you could knit it at a slightly looser gauge?

GardenGirlKnitsToo
09-21-2007, 10:38 AM
I think warmth factor is pretty subjective. Is your hubby generally cold? Mine is, so I would not hesitate to knit him a super warm sweater. On the other hand, I know people who wear T-Shirts all winter. I wouldn't dream of knitting any of them a sweater of any kind. I say go with your instincts on this. And what a lucky man to be getting such a fabulous gift!

cando
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
True, warmth is subjective. Hubby is pretty average, he's neither very cold nor warm. And it's I who's lucky.. the 7+ years we've been together have been the best of my life :heart:

Hildie, thanks for the article it was very interesting. I went ahead and bought the yarn for it from Sarah (http://sarahsyarns.com) (she has a free shipping promotion going on right now) and best of all - it arrived today! It was shipped within 45 min of my placing the order and arrived in 3 days. Superlative customer service.

And the yarn. I think it's the most I've ever spent in one go but both the yarn and hubby are so worth it. I'm in love :inlove:

knitncook
09-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, if he doesn't like it, I'll take it! LOL!! It's gorgeous yarn and I think it would be a wonderful sweater. Heck, I live in Florida and think it would be nice and we don't really have all that cold of winters.

stirsmommy
09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
True, warmth is subjective. Hubby is pretty average, he's neither very cold nor warm. And it's I who's lucky.. the 7+ years we've been together have been the best of my life :heart:

Hildie, thanks for the article it was very interesting. I went ahead and bought the yarn for it from Sarah (http://sarahsyarns.com) (she has a free shipping promotion going on right now) and best of all - it arrived today! It was shipped within 45 min of my placing the order and arrived in 3 days. Superlative customer service.

And the yarn. I think it's the most I've ever spent in one go but both the yarn and hubby are so worth it. I'm in love :inlove:
Wow that is really pretty. I can't wait to see the finished product. I have to agree about the customer service at Sarah's. I order something this morning and it was already packed to go when I checked my email again an hour later. I can't wait to see what it is like.

cando
09-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, if he doesn't like it, I'll take it! LOL!! It's gorgeous yarn and I think it would be a wonderful sweater. Heck, I live in Florida and think it would be nice and we don't really have all that cold of winters.

Thanks! Sweaters in FL? Really? :)

I used the last bit of birthday money I had so I have GOT to lay off the yarn shopping for a while. I've been neglecting my WIPs in favor of yarn shopping *sigh*

stirsmommy, thank you. Hopefully the finished product will be worthy of the yarn (and hubby). What did you order at Sarah's?

marykz
09-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm drooling over all that cashmere. wow! and I can't wait to see the final result! my DH is not a sweater guy- always too warm. not even a scarf or hat or gloves in the snow!

Too bad we don't have "grope-a-vision" I'd love to feel up that yarn! I'm making some cashmere scarves for me and my friend and I just love it.

bip
09-23-2007, 09:17 AM
How did you get that yarn? When I went to the website, it said it was for wholesalers/direct order only.

cando
09-23-2007, 01:35 PM
How did you get that yarn? When I went to the website, it said it was for wholesalers/direct order only.
bip, I placed a direct order. I think there are restrictions on how they can sell cashmere that's the reason it's only wholesale/direct order (to keep it controlled).
For direct order, you can either place the order on the phone, via email or fax. Or ask Sarah for a direct orderable link for that yarn and she'll send it to you.
OR pm me and I'll send it to you :)