PDA

View Full Version : Raining cats, dogs & ...

Limey
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
I know it's been a wet summer here in the UK - but I was a bit amazed one July morning to find these little guys quacking about the garden.

I couldn't imagine how they got there - the gates were shut and they couldn't have squeezed through the metalwork.

Anyway, thanks to the girl next door, who works for the RSPCA, we managed to find the owners - they lived on the other side of the busy main road!!!

Duckies re-united with happy owner and mystery solved a few days later.

A lady who works at a care home and starts work at the uncivilised hour of 7am, found them wandering on the pavement near my house, so she shoo-ed them into the garden and re-closed the gate .... and no, I haven't the foggiest why she chose our place.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Cute!!!!

stitchwitch
09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I found a chicken one time in our fenced yard. Might not have been such a strange sight in a rural area but this was a neighborhood. To this day I have no idea where it came from. It roamed the neighborhood for awhile and disappeared. :shrug:

Knitting_Guy
09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
You didn't keep one for dinner?

Ingrid
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
That's bad, Mason!

I found a cow in my yard. And a horse. And guinea hens.

Jan in CA
09-20-2007, 10:29 PM
That's bad, Mason!

I found a cow in my yard. And a horse. And guinea hens.

A cow. In your yard. :??

:teehee:

Most I've found in my yard is a big hawk, a weasel, possums and raccoons. My neighbor had mallards in their pool once though.

Ingrid
09-20-2007, 10:35 PM
What alerted me to the cow was the crashing around in the woods of the guys looking for it. They managed to catch it and tie it to a tree until they came back with a trailer.

What's funny is that one of the guys in the woods is a student in my school. He was just a kid then, but he remembers having to go looking for the cow.:teehee:

We always have deer and racoons and such, but it's the domesticated animals that make you look twice.

Once I came around the corner of my street and saw this huge pink rump running down the road. I don't think I've ever seen a pig that big.:rofl:

Jan in CA
09-21-2007, 12:06 AM
:shock: Do you live in the woods?

AnnaT
09-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Once I came around the corner of my street and saw this huge pink rump running down the road. I don't think I've ever seen a pig that big.:rofl:

That's hilarious! I would feel strange for the rest of the day if that happened to me. Once my mother went out very early to pick up their newspaper. She was leaning over to get it and heard "clip-clop clip-clop". When she looked up, a deer was casually walking down the street.

Limey
09-21-2007, 04:00 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::rofl::rofl::chair:

I'm keeping score here:

Stitchwitch: 1 Chicken

Ingrid: 1 cow, 1 horse, sundry Guinea hens and weirdist of all, rear end of pig perambulating down street

Jan: Sundry hawks, 1 weasel, sundry raccoons

Anna T's Mum: Deer ambling down the road

It makes finding the ducklings in my garden seem almost 'normal'.

Mason: My hubby asked the same question - men, horrors! - can't take them anywhere.

PurlyGyrl
09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Gosh, Ingrid--I live in the country (and I mean the COUNTRY) and I never have that many varmits wondering through the yard.

I did look out one day and saw seven HUGE turkey vultures (see below) in our maple tree. You know the kind they always show in the old western movies sitting on a catcus waiting for the cowboy hero to die of thirst in the desert. I thought maybe it was a sign or something--death ahead.

And by the way, that big pink rump disappearing around the corner was ME---- you see one night after - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -never mind:teehee:

Ingrid
09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

PaperGirl
09-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I saw a police car and a Blazer in my yard one night.

The blazer was being chased by the cop for something, and he slammed through my front, and back yards, knocking over our playhouse, and the cop followed him!

The Blazer came to a stop after hitting our well house...OMG, my dad was MAD!

This was at 3 AM, and we were all kids...Mom was NOT happy to wake up to lights and sirens, and the doorbell with the cops there.

(If only she had known what my sister & brother had for her in the future...) :roflhard:

Limey
09-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Papergirl said:

"The blazer was being chased by the cop for something, and he slammed through my front, and back yards, knocking over our playhouse, and the cop followed him!"

This is another of those "Two countries divided by a common whatsit ... thing"
Could you tell me please, what is a blazer? :??:??:??:eyes::eyes::eyes:

I'm having visions of bobbies chasing a schoolkid's jacket up and down your garden. That's the only type of blazer I've heard of.

Ingrid
09-22-2007, 11:09 AM
A Blazer is a very large vehicle. I kind of like the idea of the blazer as you know it. Reminds me of Dr. Seuss' spooky pale green pants.:teehee:

Limey
09-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the reply, Ingrid - I was beginning to think that a 'blazer' was an arsonist. :doh:

Purlygyrl wrote:

"I did look out one day and saw seven HUGE turkey vultures (see below) in our maple tree. You know the kind they always show in the old western movies sitting on a catcus waiting for the cowboy hero to die of thirst in the desert."

Do we have any advance on seven turkey vultures?

Any passing goats, camels, elephants, giant ant-eaters, Toad-in-the Hole, even?

Ingrid
09-23-2007, 10:08 AM
The vultures ate them.

Limey
09-23-2007, 03:20 PM
The vultures ate them.

:rofl::chair::roflhard:

Oh, rats!!! - and I wondered if you'd ever managed to get a cute pic of that pig!!!

I hope the goats give 'em heartburn.:grrr::teehee: