PDA

View Full Version : Knitted House Taken Down - H&S rules

Limey
09-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Think this is the second time in less than a week that Health & Safety rules have hit knitting.

First, it was knitting needles put out of "harm's way" behind a hospital desk and now this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=460754&in_page_id=1770

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2500730.ece

Wool house ‘fire risk’
Fire officers have ordered a knitted house to be taken down after declaring it a fire hazard. The 10ft-by-14ft house was knitted by 500 women from all over the world and was on show at Atlantic Village at Bideford, North Devon, where it has raised Ģ10,000 for charity. Ann Tattersall, who helped to create the house, said: “This is absolutely outrageous and is health and safety gone mad.”

It's heart-breaking that so much work, done by so many people all over the world, and raised thousands for charity, should fall foul of H&S rules.:verysad:

Following this logic, the only place to safely display knitting would be in an empty aircraft hangar. :fingerwag::fingerwag::fingerwag:

sig
09-21-2007, 06:20 AM
omg!!!!!!!! :oo::!!!:canīt believe this!!! Are they insane??? :!!!::doh:

Jess_knit
09-21-2007, 06:35 AM
That doesn't even make sense! Don't they know that wool is flame retardant?

PurlyGyrl
09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
:doh: :verysad:

marykz
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
that was such an enormous effort by so many knitters for an amazing cause. I can't believe it has to be taken down. That is seriously deranged.

if anyone hasn't seen the pictures go find them. the whole house was knitted- the walls, roof, furniture, food, dishes, broom, pictures, EVERYTHING was knit to scale. they raised a huge amount of money for charity and it was a wonderful testament to knitting.

I am really upset they did this. is there ANY recourse?

(I've been following the assembly of the house through Simply Knitting mag that I buy here in the states.)

knitasha
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Idiots.
Wool burns slowly, if at all.
All they had to do was spray the thing with fire-retardant, put a fire extinguisher nearby and ban smoking.

momwolf
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_3_25.gif

iza
09-21-2007, 12:03 PM
:shock: how ridiculous! Maybe some of the yarn used was acrylic? :?? Even then, like knitasha says, just have them put a fire extinguisher near it!

When I see things like that, I can't help thinking that some government employees have way too little work to do! :shrug:

stitchwitch
09-21-2007, 12:32 PM
OK, I'm going to find a little good or at least a tiny bit of humor in the fact that at least it wasn't in the US. It's comforting to know other countries have morons in their governmental agencies too. :teehee:

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, I was equally sad today to observe that the work of one of my favourite street chalk artists (brilliant stuff) is often stopped by Councils and he receives fines. His works are masterpieces in clever design as you can see from the images.

The issue of the knitting house is very sad however these days it ALWAYS pays to investigate issues to do with ANY type of public performance art. I suspect that the building housing this art did not have ceiling sprinklers.

I am NOT arguing with anything anyone has said here but my mind naturally had to ask why it's ok for galleries to have installations that are very subject to fire and I think ceiling sprinklers are the reason why. It's a crazy world but in 'sue happy' cultures can one really be surprised at conservatism. I am hoping a suitable venue will offer this knitted house a new home.

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
If you're not sure..the person on the left is a chalk drawing. Another example:

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
I think for those of us who 'do' craft, we ache for ALL the work people put in to these projects and the significant time people spend organising etc. And not for profit, for art sake or charity.

Jan in CA
09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
:noway:

Kaydee
09-21-2007, 02:55 PM
That's so silly! Would they tell someone they couldn't have lots of knitted items in their house because its a fire hazard?? Probably not.

Doublereeder2
09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Obviously these government officials have WAAAAAY too much time on their hands.

Hmmm - maybe they should try knitting!

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Kaydee..Public spaces are different insurance wise than private homes. You could fill your house to the brim with cardboard if you wanted to :) Mind you, then you'd be had for something like creating a vermin potential :)

Jess_knit
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
If the space the knit house was stored in had any wood in it, that would be more likely to burn than wool!

I just don't really understand the reasoning.

Denise in Michigan
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Susan P, those chalk drawings are amazing!

And I think we all have to concur in hoping the Knitted House will find a venue!

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Denise, this is one that really blows my orientation. I find it impossible to see it as a flat image even tho I know it is. He's done another one of a laptop computer the same way, Julian Beever is one amazing guy. You Tube has a vid of him doing his work and how he maintains some of his positions across a small wire frame until (as he's colouring in) I do not know:

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
That came out smaller than I hoped sorry but I'm sure you get the gist.

feministmama
09-21-2007, 06:35 PM
H&S rules=stoopid:grrr:

Kaydee
09-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Kaydee..Public spaces are different insurance wise than private homes. You could fill your house to the brim with cardboard if you wanted to :) Mind you, then you'd be had for something like creating a vermin potential :)

That's true. Its still a shame though.

Limey
09-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Denise, this is one that really blows my orientation. I find it impossible to see it as a flat image even tho I know it is. He's done another one of a laptop computer the same way, Julian Beever is one amazing guy. You Tube has a vid of him doing his work and how he maintains some of his positions across a small wire frame until (as he's colouring in) I do not know:

I dunno about blowing your orientation, I'd be more scared to tripping up over it!

Amazing stuff - I'll go and have a squint at the YouTube video.

Susan P.
09-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I can send you his url too if you like to see the full range of his art.

I was thinking when I saw your nick how much I used to like lime milkshakes.

Susan P.
09-22-2007, 07:12 AM
This is a YT vid of him in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfn8Dz_13Ms&mode=related&search=

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Bureaucracy and stupidity are synonymous.

Rorshach
09-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Yup, I agree, mason, funny thing is, the definition for insanity and stupidity are also the same, so I guess we could derive that bureaucracy is insane.

Susan P.-- I see I'm not the only one that like Julian Beever, definitely an amazing artist.

Susan P.
09-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Rorshach.. He is indeed and there are more people out there that do this sort of work. So painstaking and I always feel a poignancy that it won't last of course. I hope if Aveen put their ad to TV that it was really brought to life beautifully via digital intervention.

Limey
09-23-2007, 04:50 AM
Whew! I watched the vids and I was just rapt.

It's truly amazing and while I was watching it, I remembered how a pile of house bricks won the Turner Prize a few years ago (I'm not kidding); and Damien Hurst gets recognition for a sheep festering in formaldehyde.

I'm wondering if Tate Modern, here in the UK, know about Julian Beever's work - if not, they should do. Hmmm.

I take it a lime milkshake is Strine for something untoward!

There are some cheeky beggars furkling around this forum.