PDA

View Full Version : What do you store them in?

EssenceRose
09-21-2007, 07:44 AM
What do you store your crochet hooks in? I started out with only a few crochet hooks so I didn't have to worry about it. I now find that my crochet hook collection is growing and I need somewhere to store them all.

I suppose I could put them in one of those little roll up knitting needle holder things. But the pockets are kind of deep - and my knitting needles are stored in that! LOL

Then today I saw a crochet hook organizer. It was felted and OH so cute! But the woman at the LYS didn't have a pattern for it. Grr!!

So... how do you store your crochet hooks?

CDBear
09-21-2007, 08:12 AM
I have a really nice roll-up case that a swap partner on Crochetville made for me. I've made a couple of felted hook cases that turned out really nicely. Here are the links:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kluster/kluster.html

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/BK4K-0612005.html

marykz
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
right now they are all in a makeup bag that zips closed. (one of those freebies when you buy makeup) I am going to make a roll up holder for myself out of fabric: it uses the same idea as the knitting needle rolls, but has pockets that are narrower and not as deep.

Miss Moosey
09-21-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a little old pencil box from first grade or so. My crochet hooks fit in there pretty well!

Riss
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Right now, they're sitting in a Shrek3 glass from McDonalds, as if they were pens. :D

smartcat
09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I keep most of mine in a zippered make-up type case that I carry in my bag, but I keep duplicates in a mug near my work area which allows me access to the hooks to help me correct my knitting or picking up stitches, without depriving my current crochet projects of the hooks used. I also have the zippered case in my bag for the same reason and so I have them in case a friend wants me to demonstrate a crochet stitch or help with a pattern.

The only ones I don't carry with me everywhere are my thread hooks.

I do have my hubby working on a better holder for near my work area, but he is being slow on that for me.

samm
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Mine are in a Japanese fabric covered box that a present from one of our students brought from Japan years ago. It has little latches that I love, and it looks beautiful on the shelf. :) samm

cmk
09-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I store mine like Riss does, except my hooks are in an old jam jar.

Carolyn

toomuch
09-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Mine are not organized at all right now and I intend to gather them all up into one spot. But I have several old hooks that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother (that I cherish) and the steel hooks are stored in an old cigar case. I don't know if you can still buy cigars like that, but the case is perfect. I've always thought I'd like to collect old hooks. Do yall know of anyone who does? I just wonder where you go to find them.
Julie

purlwise
09-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I use a plastic zippered pencil pouch that has I side with three holes in it that I got at the $1 store. It keeps my hooks and I can put it in my binder where I file misc patterns.

aprildavis99
09-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I keep them in my knitting needle roll up thing. The one I have has tall pockets for the regular knitting needles and shorter pockets for the DPNs and those are also just the right size for the crochet hooks. I have also used zippered pencil bags and even those travel toothbrush cases in the past.

krazy4kats
09-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Berroco has a freebie pattern for a felted crochet hook organizer, I think it's called Kluster.

mathwizard
09-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I have several holders. I have my mom's zippered one with a separate place for each. My are in an plastic labeled box they came in and the loose and old one are in an zippered plastic pencil case. I have thought about organizing them all in one place but it would have to have lots of pockets. Haven't found one that fits the bill and right now don't have time to design one. Too busy crafting.:cheering:

remclave
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I have a Boye etui that I bought in 1982. I do have more hooks than the case will hold so I guess it's time to invest in making one.

KnittinMitchie
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I have my hooks in a pouch in my Knit picks options case. How ever I am starting to collect a few more as I progress and develop my skills. Having my hooks and needles together makes it great when I travel.

EssenceRose
10-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I made the Kluster holder. It turned out ok, but the wool didn't felt very well. I have no idea what I did wrong... ???

I'm actually glad it didn't shrink as much as the pattern said to because it was just the right size to hold all my hooks in the end. :)

I'll be making one for my mother in law for Christmas now. She "hinted" that she would like one. LOL

WandaT
10-08-2007, 07:16 AM
I have my hooks and needles in vases *small for my hooks, larger for the needles) with those little glass "marbles" in the bottom. The marbles help them stand up and I keep them on the table beside where I usually sit. I pretty much use them a table decorations and just leave them there all the time.

cftwo
10-10-2007, 12:08 PM
What great ideas! I have mine in a roll-up needle holder with pockets which unfortunately doesn't have a flap over the top so my hooks are always slipping out.

knitcindy
10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
a cloth, rolled up thing that ties on the outside. It's like a needle holder, but much shorter. I have 1 for my tiny hooks and another one for my C-K size hooks.

Don't remember where I bought them, but they're REALLY handy!!!

knitcindy

hydeemarie
10-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I put mine in a pencil pouch that is divided into two differnt pockets and on the other side I put my tape measure, scissors, row counter, tapestry needles, etc. I like it! :yay:

larudden
10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I made this holder out of a cloth napkin. I love it! However, I just bought myself all the light up hooks that were on sale for 50% off at Michael's soooooooooooooo I need to find a way to store them. For now, they're in the larger pocket on the right side.

monzogary
11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I store most of mine in a zippered pocket in my large knitting bag! Before I had that bag, I used some plastic storage totes meant for crafts and one had a seperate compartment in the lid so that's where I kept all my needles and hooks.