PDA

View Full Version : FO: Felted Mosaic Booga Bag

roseybee
09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
I made this as a gift for my doctor, who left for a different job. I got a bin full of wool (for free!) from my sister-in-law's boyfriend's mother, so I used some from there. I didn't want just stripes, so I taught myself slip-stitch knitting in the round. I learned a lot, and now I know how make my next one even better!
The wool was Galway colors 104 and 44. It took about ten minutes to felt in my front-loading washer -- I'm glad I checked it early on!
I took the pictures on my kitchen floor so I can see how much it shrinks with the tiles as a reference.

amishgirl281
09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
It looks fantastic! Great job :)

letah75
09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh, that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nonny2t
09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
It looks great, very southwestern feel to it ! I am sure she will love it

Jan in CA
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
That is really beautiful!

PurlyGyrl
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
That's great :thumbsup:

robynbird
09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
THAT is beautiful!!

Mariblue
09-21-2007, 05:06 PM
That's great! It looks awesome with the slip stitching! :thumbsup:

dustinac
09-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Great job... very nice :happydance:

Arielluria
09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
:cheering: Super terrific!!!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to make something like that.

How did the 2 colors felt on the inside....were there any issues???

I've made a couple of swatches trying something similar to the little squares you made. I wanted a 60's-ish look to the bag. Though both yarns on my swatch were Patons, one color seemed to shrink more than another, or they shrunk unevenly when I did the design..........So I've been afraid to try this.

mdog182
09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
that looks great!!! i love how the colors look together

Mayday
09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
That is sooooo cool! :drool: I'm doing a booga bag right now, my first felting project. I like how you did the size reference with the tiles.

newamy
09-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Very clever design, lucky doctor.

Tutu Carol
09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Really nice !!!!! I haven't tried felting yet.

rorygilmore
09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Wow, its so pretty! :cheering:

becjo
09-21-2007, 10:51 PM
That pattern is beautiful! It adds so much to the bag! I'm sure it was loved!

roseybee
09-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone for all your comments! I haven't posted pictures before, and I'm so glad I did. I feel almost like a real knitter now since so many people who actually can knit (as opposed to my family and friends) like what I've done.

Arielluria: I didn't have any issues with the inside -- the strands across the slipped stitches felted together nicely (my 7YO DS said he liked the inside better!)
Both colors felted well -- I'd heard that white doesn't felt well -- this is an off-white, yellowy beige color -- but it was fine.
The areas with the designs ended up being knit tighter than the plain knitting, so those parts were smaller after felting. I managed to stretch it while wet. Next time I do mosaic knitting within areas of solid colors, I will try to keep those stitches really loose, or even go up a needle size just for the design.
Also, you'll notice that unfelted, the squares were rectangles, then after felting turned into squares. I made them tall on purpose, since felting shrinks things more tall-wise than width-wise. The squares were actually twice as many rows tall than stitches wide, if that makes sense.
Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to answer any questions people may have so that you will be ahead of the game if you start designing something like this (unlike me -- I frogged quite a bit -- I'm a perfectionist when making things for other people)
I highly recommend felting, and slip-stitching designs! Thanks again for all the comments!:muah:

ah
09-22-2007, 03:51 PM
That is cool. Another technique to learn.

PaperGirl
09-22-2007, 04:12 PM
It looks amazing!

ArtLady1981
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
HI! :waving:

I am in awe! :passedout: Gorgeous, warm colors...wonderfully knit! A true knitted artwork!

MerigoldinWA
09-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Very nice!! Is it going to have some sort of closure, or handle? You mentioned the issue about the white yarn and felting. If this is not white it is pretty close and it felted nicely. Good to know. Your designs are cool.

roseybee
09-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the wonderful comments. Since I just taught myself how to knit a few months ago, praise from real knitters feels great! There is no closure on the bag, but there are red i-cord handles. I actually finger-knitted the red holding two strands together -- it made perfect handles!
The first bag I did, I used needles to make the i-cord but I wasn't very good at it, and the handles were too thin.
I didn't post a picture with the handles, but they are on there! My doctor loved it, too -- she always used to comment on whatever I was knitting while I waited in her office, so now she has something of her own.

auburnchick
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh wow! I've seen a lot of felted bags, but I think your's is one of the most beautiful! What a great job! Don't wait so long to post FO's!!!! It's obvious you have quite a bit of talent in those hands of your's!

Sunny_Singer
09-26-2007, 12:26 AM
I love the colors and pattern. super job