PDA

View Full Version : Kill Me Now

Knitting_Guy
09-21-2007, 09:56 PM
As of today I'd been off tobacco for two months. I blew it.

I went to a local bar and got to talking with a young lady who happens to smoke. I wound up smoking and even bought a pack.

The idea of starting all over again with the nicotine withdrawal and all of that is simply miserable.

Just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

No excuses, I did it to myself, I know that. I am sooooo stupid.

Jan in CA
09-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Everyone has times when the fall off the wagon. You're not alone. Just toss the pack and continue on as you were before! You can do it! :hug::hug:

jennylozano
09-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, maybe you'll need to start going to non-smoking bars from now on. not from yesterday on. I quit 2 years ago. Its hard. very hard. temptations everywhere. nothing like sharing a smoke with others. or smoke over conversation. but to help yourself to quit, you need to convince yourself you are way stronger than your need for nicotine while you stay away from it your body gets rid of it. I know, nothing that I can say will confort you. but you are the only one who can do it.

auburnchick
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe the more realistic trick is running away fast if you see a lady pull out a cigarette. There are plenty of non-smoking gals out there!

Susan P.
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Heh..serves you right for moving in to appear suave :cool:

Empty the pack into a pile, set them alight and do a small war dance around it reminding that not every James Bond needs to smoke :)

Silver
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Eh, just hop back on the wagon. It's only as tough as you allow it to be. I quit 2 years ago. You can do it too. I'm rooting for you! :cheering:

auburnchick
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Heh..serves you right for moving in to appear suave :cool:

Empty the pack into a pile, set them alight and do a small war dance around it reminding that not every James Bond needs to smoke :)

:roflhard:

If you feel the urge to smoke, pull out those knitting needles! Much better than holding a cigarette!

Knitting_Guy
09-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Eh, just hop back on the wagon. It's only as tough as you allow it to be. I quit 2 years ago. You can do it too. I'm rooting for you! :cheering:

That's the part that bothers me, I really thought I had it licked. Once a junkie always a junkie I guess.

snowbear
09-21-2007, 10:35 PM
hey, hang in there... but I know you know that.. jsut remember... is a good looking girl you might never see again reason to put yourself through all that pain?

Find a nonsmoker... you can do it!

DianaM
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Hang in there Mason *hugs*
I quit for a year and then started again. Then quit again. It's going well so far. Just keep at it ^_^

mum2caden
09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm with Jan- toss it and keep going.. no worries! Everyone makes mistakes, its what you do after that counts!

Ingrid
09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Relapse is a part of addiction, whether it's nicotine or something stronger.

You did it once, you can do it again (and again and again if necessary.)

Kaydee
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I second Jan (or maybe third), just toss the pack and hop back on the wagon. You can do it!

Doublereeder2
09-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I agree with all of the above. Just throw them away and get over it! (I am also an X smoker.) It has been about 12 years for me - it took a few falls to stay upright. And I don't know if I have quit for life - but I have for today and so can you! And tomorrow I'll decide not to smoke again. You can too---

Dangles
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
I agree with the above. Mason, we are here to support you through this.

syndactylus
09-22-2007, 02:39 AM
if you only had one, or maybe 2, it will still be easy!
EASY!
withdrawal, pfft! :teehee:

and - you are on quitnet right? do you have the detox process fact sheet? ... do you want to go through all that again?
those people in that just-quit forum were always good for remotivating me when I was already halfway out the door to buy a pack.
& if they don't help, there are all the pages and pages long of cravings post by those who just quit after years and years and years. yours can't be that bad again yet (I hope). don't put yourself through that either!!

& also, you didn't fail, you just tripped.

you can do it!! good luck!

gingerbread
09-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Hey Mason you can do it. I am only a month ahead of you. I still have the cravings. Thank goodness not as bad. You can do this we are all here to help ya:clink:

vaknitter
09-22-2007, 08:03 AM
I think you should get a puppy or two - I find I don't have time to do anything since my Daisy came along : )

Seriously - never been a smoker, but done the diet thing and had "trips" as one poster said where after a bad day I would stop for food I shouldn't have been eating or my willpower would fail. You just throw it all away and start again the next day.

My cousin found the nicotine gum to be really helpful when she quit.

Best of Luck -

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I appreciate all of the positive comments folks. I don't make excuses for my actions, they're mine and I own them. I wish it had only been a couple of smokes, but it was a whole pack.

Now I am back to square one, trying to get started quitting again. I woke up this morning craving a smoke so bad I feel like I never quit. I'm going to have to approach this all over again as if it's the first time, setting a quit date and all.

Who would have thought that quitting smoking will still be so hard after 2 months?

The sad thing is, I was perfectly happy not smoking. A craving here and there yes, but it's not like I was miserable about it. Now I am.

knitasha
09-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Okay, so now you're a serial quitter. That's no reflection on your character.

Falling off the ashy end isn't a question of weakness; it's part of the process of getting past a really bad addiction. (I've heard it's harder to quit tobacco than heroin.) Some people quit permanently the first time; for others it takes several tries.

Move on. Quit again. I'm lucky enough not to speak from personal experience, but my best friend has quit four times, each time for a longer period. (It's been over two years now.) She says that it's easier to stop every time you do it; apparently the withdrawal becomes less unpleasant. And any amount of time you remain smoke-free is a bonus for your health.

So tell us, what was the lady like?

syndactylus
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
upside: this time you already know you can do it and that it will get better!

I'm sorry you have to have the pain of it all over again though. sucks. :help:

stiff upper lip! no crying in baseball?

(kidding.)

dakatzmeow
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
hey mason, *I* don't smoke. ;)

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Ok, happy for ya.

dagny
09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Just make yourself get rid of the pack. If you buy another one, pour water on it so that you can't smoke anymore. I once threw away a pack only to dig it out of the trash and smoke another one :ick: , thought "wth did I just bring myself to do? digging in the trash for cigarettes?" then ruined them with water. The idea of buying another pack that I knew I could ruin again and the thought of wasting 6 dollars and starting all over again wasn't worth the misery.

Hope you can stick with it!

chillawilla
09-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Feeling this bad about it is a pretty good sign you're over and done with being a smoker.

You no longer smoke. Say screw off to the monkey on your back and move on. You can totally do this!

Last June I made my 9-year quit anniversary. Smokey bars are still the worst for triggering a "maybe just one". Almost nostalgic like.

Maybe pretty smoker-girls while drinking is too much temptation for most guys? That's 3-strikes against quitting sittin' on a barstool right there!

Welcome back to the quitter club.:thumbsup:

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't beat yourself over this. :fingerwag: Just try again.

msoebel
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Ok, happy for ya.

I believe the lady was flirting with you, not rubbing it in your face.;) She was referencing the above posts that said you could easily find a beautiful woman who DOESN'T smoke.

Misty

annomalley
09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
It took me four tries before I finally kicked the habit, and every time I relapsed I remember that "wanting to climb the walls" feeling I'd get when the craving and the urge was too much. I remember the guilty feeling I'd get when I gave in to the urge and lit up. It sucked. It absolutely, unequivocally sucked. It was one of the worst feelings in the world. It was that fifth try that stuck. Yesterday was my 3 year quit anniversary. :woot:

Like chillwalla said, your feeling bad about your relapse is a sure sign that you're done being a smoker. Your not making excuses for the relapse is also a sign that you're ready to give it up, too. You just have to pick yourself back up and start over again. Relapses happen. Don't beat yourself up over it. You can do it! :thumbsup: You've got the support of *a lot* of people here.

Mommy22alyns
09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Mason... just remember, you catch more women with knitting needles than cigarettes! ;)

dakatzmeow
09-26-2007, 04:44 PM
yes, i was flirting. i'm sorry if you didn't take it that way. :(

i have a food addiction. i can only imagine how hard this must be for you.

again, i did not intend to offend you. i'm very sorry.

kbagel
09-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I know you can totally quit smoking. But here's some advice you may not know. A lot of health insurances will pay for smoking cessation products now. My sister tried quitting a bunch of times before she got new health insurance that payed for it. It made it quite a bit easier for her. If you have health insurance, you should definately look into it.

Good Luck, I know you can do it!

Knitting_Guy
09-26-2007, 11:18 PM
yes, i was flirting. i'm sorry if you didn't take it that way. :(

i have a food addiction. i can only imagine how hard this must be for you.

again, i did not intend to offend you. i'm very sorry.

No offence taken, I was just in an odd state of mind at that moment. Totally my bad.

Knitting_Guy
09-26-2007, 11:19 PM
I know you can totally quit smoking. But here's some advice you may not know. A lot of health insurances will pay for smoking cessation products now. My sister tried quitting a bunch of times before she got new health insurance that payed for it. It made it quite a bit easier for her. If you have health insurance, you should definately look into it.

Good Luck, I know you can do it!

Thanks, that's good to know if I ever get health insurance.

kbagel
09-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't have health insurance either. I've been thinking about moving to Canada though.

Sunny_Singer
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Just hang in there.

You don't need to beat yourself - just reaffirm your goals and keep going.

I know you can do it!