PDA

View Full Version : My Chronic Pain

gingerbread
09-22-2007, 06:02 AM
I thought that I had it under control not!!!!!!!
Any way I knew this day was coming that my system would say this medication is not going to work anymore. It was the highest dose and the doctor said he couldn't give me anything else. I was sent to a pain management Doctor. Here I go again. Same question that are in my folder that he is reading from. Anyway back to the hospital for shots in my poor cheek and not on my face:flirt:. So then it's it will get worse before it gets better. Right been there done that story.
Only this guy makes no appointsments like my last Dr did. I call of course get the nurse, I know the drill pain bad really bad. Well you know Mrs. P that it is going to worse don't you. Ya but it has been seven days!!!!!! I'll tell the doctor and get back to you. :whistle:yup had to call again oh dear Mrs.P got busy. Ya okay I may just rip your face off. My poor husband the heaven sent guy knows all this and is trying to tell them this is not working. :pout: Well I go to see him Monday and that is only because I had made it a while back. I think I need to go and see my regular doctor and find another pain management doctor.
I am now of my rant I haven't been able to do that for a long time. I feel so bad for my husband hearing me cry all the time.

Silver
09-22-2007, 08:49 AM
:hug: Awww I hope you find the right medication soon!! :hug:

marykz
09-22-2007, 09:58 AM
chronic pain is so very hard to manage- keep trying. I know the last thing you need is one more person telling you to "be strong" and "get through it". when its that bad words don't help much. but I'll be thinking of you and hoping you find a doctor who can help.

(ps I always make an appointment with my rheumatologist for every 2 months just in case things get bad. that way I don't have to call and have the nurse tell me (In september) "we are now scheduling for January." So if the time comes and I don't need the appt, I call and reschedule it for the next month.)

Knitting_Guy
09-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I know how you feel. I've lived with chronic pain for years and finally gave up on trying to manage it and now I just live with it. In my line of work I'm not allowed to take anything that actually works anyway.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Ingrid
09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
There was a show on tv the other night that had a man who had severe facial pain. They finally found the solution--a blood vessel was pressing on a nerve.

Do they know what's causing your pain?

Quiltlady
09-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry you are hurting. :heart:I have pain from the minute my feet hit the floor getting out of bed in the morning until I am back in bed at night.

I will be having left hip replacement surgery on Nov. 1.
I have arthritis. My knees hurt too. I just take one day at a time. Some days I just stay home other times I get out and enjoy myself. But I do hurt daily.

Jan in CA
09-22-2007, 05:32 PM
There was a show on tv the other night that had a man who had severe facial pain. They finally found the solution--a blood vessel was pressing on a nerve.

I saw that..it was Tic Douloureaux in his case.

I hope you can find something that eases your pain!

syndactylus
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry.
I hope the new doctor helps you soon.

MaryB
09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing. Chronic pain is exhausting for you and hard for your family and friends to watch.

I am especially sorry that your Doctor's office was not more responsive to your pain. That is their job!

:hug::pray::hug:

gingerbread
09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone they kind of know that it is nerve damage but they don't know where it starts! So they have been giving me shots in the butt, 3times so far. This last time he forgot to let me know that it was really going to take more time to work. Oh well I do think we are on the right track this time. The problem is like pulling teeth getting the information from the doctor. I have enough medicine in me right now, that I can tell and ask him what for. So come Monday so I can find out what he has in store for me this time around. :shock::shock::shock::shock:

karne
09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Gosh I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Chronic pain is exhausting. I deal with fibromyalgia, so I have an inkling of what you're going through.

I also went through a LOT of foot surgeries, oh my, talk about pain. I'm to the point again, where the surgeries need to be done again. but I don't think I'll do it. It was too long (3 yrs) too painful and for too short of time (about 1 yr pain free walking). It's not worth it, I'll eventually end up in a wheelchair.

I hope you find something that works really soon. And a good dr., as they can make all the difference. Hugs...

Mulderknitter
09-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I actually dealt with chronic chest pain for 4 years before I found out the cause. Before I took matters into my own hands I was on 4 different medications twice a day. NONE worked. but my doctor kept increasing the dosages instead of exploring other options.
One day I had chest pains so bad I thought I was dying. I actually knew I was dying. But insstead of going to the ER like I had all the other times I had chest pains, I walked myself through it. Literally paced the house for hours.
The next day I called a therapist. He immediatly put me on anti-anxiety meds and changed my life. I stopped the other meds cold turkey and started to work on what is now diagnosed as a panic disorder.
It took time. And it was frustrating. I know your problem is medical, and mine is mental health, but I sense the same frustration. I never thought I would ever find relief. I lived with the pain, real physical pain brought on by the disorder, for so long that I just didn't think it would go away. and the indifference by my doctor was not helping
My point is that eventually it will get better. you will find some answer, and you will find someone that is dedicated enough to helping you find that answer. You too will find that I am sure of it:muah:

ecb
09-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I feel for you

I am dealing with some pain issues myself
its very specific, just severe twinges of pain, randomly at places where my ligaments or tendons connect to the muscles. No Idea what it is, and its not constant enough to take anything (but it makes driving interesting sometimes) My kids are used to it, and in some ways that bothers me more than knowing the pain will just happen over and over again. The kids still want to make me feel better, and there is Nothing they can do.
I used to work at a Pain Center with Thomas Jefferson Hospital. I learned a LOT there but not enough to help with this thing.

ecb

gingerbread
09-24-2007, 04:32 AM
As much as this new doctor gets to me, I think he is on the right track.
It started out almost six years ago. Back surgery started it. A very bad disk and shards everywhere well I guess he got it all. Then stupid me when the pain started going down my leg again he fused my spine. The pain was still bad I finally told him after almost a year, just rip the damn leg off at the hip!!!!!!!! He through me and my husband out of his office!!!
Yup I could not believe it thank goodness my regular doctor saved me. Gave me my meds and has worked with me and other doctors to see why there is pain.
I see my doctor today for the pain and will let everyone know how it goes. Keep me in your thoughts that it goes well and that he can give me some good hope this time. He thinks it is nerve damage we just don't know how much yet.

blueeyes28
09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Mulderknitter I just had the same thing happen to me with chest pains it only started last year but I really thought that I had some crazy problem that was going to kill me like my heart swelling or something and I turned out that it was anxiety due to a hormone imbalance and believe or not it is birthcontrol pills that have finally taken away that pain.

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
OMGosh!:hug: Chronic pain s*cks! Hope you soon get some relief.

willowangel
09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Good luck! I have fibromyalgia and a bunch of other things, and live with chronic pain. Everything they give me can take the edge off, but not enough to not be in pain all the time. It gets exhausting, but I hope you can find a solution.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to see what else I can do, but doubt there's anything. I just keep going along to see if there's new stuff. They just upped my painkillers again last week cause I'm in a flare.

I often think I'd love to see Dr House - he seems to be able to take people with random symptoms and find a cure for their terrible problems - wonder if he'd work on me ;-) I wish. I'm hoping that, hopefully before I'm too old, they'll find something that works for fibro and I can have my life back. I may not have got my 20s, but maybe I could get my 40s or something. That would be nice.

We also don't really have pain management doctors here. We just have GPs who prescribe random stuff and hope for the best, or just say 'you have this, go home and wait to be better'. I wish we had a pain clinic up here, I know they've got them further south, but I don't know how effective they'd be.

Good luck again,
Fi xx

gingerbread
09-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Well went to see the doctor today he uped the meds and next week I go and have another procedure on my butt:waah::waah: this is the third hope it is the charm:pout::pout::pout::pout:

Mulderknitter
09-25-2007, 06:29 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Sending hugs your way!

DorothyDot
09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Another fibromyalgia victim here, as well as chronic knee pain [no cartilige - just bone on bone].

Seems like the nights are the worst. Then I put on the earphones and crank up the music. I work real hard to think myself into the tunes. Seems to help, at least through the worst times.

You know what is far, far worse than chronic pain and pain flare-ups?

Having chronic pain and flare-ups all by yourself. No one else is there with you. Friends get fed up with helping you all the time. You don't dare talk about it because no one wants to be around so much negative.

Hurting by your self is the worst.

Luvmyrottnboy
09-26-2007, 09:45 AM
I feel your pain. I had two episodes, 18 years apart, of sciatica caused by a herniated disc. I am just getting better from the second bout.

The first time I went to the doctor and all he did was prescribe high doses of ibuprofen. Then I went to a chiropractor. I didn't feel like I got much relief from the adjustments, but the series of stretches she gave me worked great. After The pain went away I had a numb leg from the nerve damage for a couple of years. BUT I also started to work out regularly...so much so I became a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I never felt better!

Then 2 years ago I had to stop because I was caring for my mom who has Alzheimers Disease. I placed her in a memory care facility in January but never got back into a fitness regime. By July I couldn't sit down from the pain. Even driving 5 minutes made me cry.

Sooooo, I started my back exercises and slowly but surely improved. No doctor, no chiro just Aleve and back stretches, with a little light walking.

I would NOT recommend avoiding medical attention. It was dumb of me.

But it seems to me that physical activity saved me pain for 18 years and I am back to gym soon as my back is almost completely better.

I know how horrible that pain is. You can't have a life and everything revolves around your pain. It sucks. I am sending good vibes your way.

PS: Acupuncture worked well for a friend of mine...but she doesn't move so she has to go periodically.

willowangel
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
You know what is far, far worse than chronic pain and pain flare-ups?

Having chronic pain and flare-ups all by yourself. No one else is there with you. Friends get fed up with helping you all the time. You don't dare talk about it because no one wants to be around so much negative.

Hurting by your self is the worst.

It really is. I want, in my later life, to become a counsellor for the sick and the dying, because the one thing I didn't have when I was really bad, and other people I've known who were dying didn't have, is someone to say, 'this is really, really ****, and I'm really scared and sad and angry' to. People are so scared that you're losing hope that the minute you start talking about your pain or how much you've lost or the things you wish you could do they try to jolly you out of it, and try to distract you.

I found that the only way I could cope, long-term, with everything that I'd lost both in the past and the future, was to face it headon. To sit with the knowledge of what was gone, what would never be, and accept it. To not spend my days being groundlessly positive about 'getting better tomorrow' but about doing what I could today. I had to say to myself that I have this thing, and I'll probably have it for the rest of my life, and I probably won't get to do a bunch of things I really wanted to. I'm probably going to need care for the rest of my life, and will always need to rely on others, and not be self-sufficient (which I hate).

And then I had to look at what I have left and make the best life I can out of it. It's not what I dreamed of, but whose life really is? And I hope that there'll be some kind of cure before I die and I can have a few years of doing all the things I wanted to, but if not, at least I'll have lived and not spent my life waiting to get better.

Sorry, rant rant rant. I made a whole website about it 7 years ago, but it's a little emo and angsty ;-)

Fi xxx

gingerbread
09-27-2007, 04:16 AM
The Herniated Disk was what started this whole mess. Only I had it removed to stop the pain. It was in my ankle and it was the most awful pain I ever had. Once that was done and said the pain started up in my butt. My doctor said it was do to the fact that my spine needed to be fused!!! Oh God what was I thinking. Long story short had it done pain was worse in the butt. After about six months going to him every month I just said to him Just cut the leg off. He threw me and my husband out of his office. Needless to say the look on my face must have been priceless :shock: He just about said it was in my head. Was not going to be duped into giving me pain pills. As was he did to me was healed and that I was just saying I was in pain. Thank goodness my pain management Doctor said it was not in my head and has really helped me a lot. It is just again it wants to rear it's ugly head on me.
Like one doctor years ago said to me you are just going to have to live with the pain. Ya alright for him to say that he is not the one with it.
Thank you all for your support sometimes ya just need to vent a little.