PDA

View Full Version : If you have this book, can you please give me your review?

CindyS
09-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I just purchased The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns (http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Handy-Book-Sweater-Patterns/dp/1931499438/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5944086-9292455?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190502694&sr=8-1) by Ann Budd at Borders today. I liked it because it had so many different kinds of patterns, both adult and child sizes, plus a lot of good information about sizing. I've never made a sweater before and I'm hoping this will be the book I use for my first.

If you have this book or have used it, can you tell me what you think of it? Thanks a bunch!!

Ingrid
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
It's a great book. It allows you to use your yarn and gauge to fit a sweater pattern rather than the other way around. Well worth having.

CindyS
09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Thank you Ingrid. I just finished going through it quickly, page by page (can't really do that in the store with 2 little ones) and I confess I'm completely intimidated. I'm curious, though...there's a folder and elastic in the back, but it's empty. Did I pick up a copy that's missing something? ACK!

Ingrid
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
The elastic is to hold your page, and the pocket, I imagine, is to add any notes so you can remember what changes you made, size you chose, etc.

Or maybe you can keep candy in it to throw when the kiddies get too close.:teehee:

CindyS
09-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Hm, I'm thinking more along the lines of a cattle prod. Thanks once again; I'm glad I'm not missing anything.

dakatzmeow
09-22-2007, 09:32 PM
sounds like a good book to get. hmmmmm.

zkimom
09-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I like The Handy Book of Sweaters very much. It has helped me a number of times when I wanted to design my own sweaters and also when I needed to adjust the gauge on a pattern to match a different yarn.

It's worth having IMO.

karne
09-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I have this book too and it's a very good one to have in your library of knitting books. You can make any number of any kind of sweater in any size. Add a book on edge finishes and you could possibly never need to buy another book again. oops, that would be bad. :(

I still like the book :)

CindyS
09-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I can't see that being a problem...I have a book collecting fetish. Thanks for the review!

cando
09-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I have this book and although I haven't knit anything using it, I've read through it.

IMO, the sweaters in the book are the big boxy kind (think 80s). If you prefer sleek fitted sweaters you may have to re-work the math a bit. Add some shaping and measure correctly and choose size correctly.

I still think this book is invaluable though. I have no problem with numbers and a little re-work is fine with me. But this book tells you about all kinds of construction styles and combined with the Vogue Stitchionary and Knitting on the Edge books you'll have tons of ideas to choose from :mrgreen:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
It's a library book for me. I'll check it out and flip through it every once in a while, but it isn't one I care to own. I think that Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears is much better for making your own sweaters, and you can find average measurements on the internet.