PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned about KnitPicks

robynbird
09-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Disclaimer: I love this store

But, I have realized that if you PAY for the best way shipping, you will receive your order quickly. I ordered on the 17th, it shipped on the 20th and I got it today the 22nd.

However, if you get the "free" shipping then it takes 2 weeks to get your stuff. Ordered on the 7th, shipped on the 11th and I got it yesterday, the 21st.

Quite the difference huh?

newamy
09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Actually I think it depends. I have had free shipping take a full 2 weeks or more and I have had it take less than a week and been really surprised.

suzeeq
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
It does depend. I don't buy much at a time from them, so am usually in the lowest tier of the paid shipping. It takes from less than a week to 10 days to arrive.

dagny
09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I have only ordered once from KP but I got the free shipping and my package arrived 5 days later.

chrislt8
09-23-2007, 12:08 AM
I always get the free shipping and it usually takes between 5-7 days for me :shrug:

cougarchick
09-23-2007, 08:27 AM
I think with them it depends on where you live on how fast you get your package it usually takes only about 5 days for me to get mine or if i choose 3rd day it is usually here the next day, but it ships from ohio and i live in indiana.

knitncook
09-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Yep, just depends. As long as everything is in stock I usually get my order in 5 days no matter if I pay for shipping or get free shipping. I don't think that they do anything to specifically hold up "free shipping" orders.

robynbird
09-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Ya'll are probably right. I just didn't understand why it sat in the distribution center in Ohio for 3 days then again in Sacramento for 3 days but I think that is a post office issue. It definitely won't stop me from buying more stuff from KP. :)

lauraknits
09-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Yep, it always takes my stuff 10 to 14 days to get to me if I get the free shipping. So fine, I either prepare myself for that or pay for the shipping. I do like the fact that if you pay for shipping, they pack up your order and send it off a little fast than most places...

Braden
09-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it depends on the size of your order. I have had $50 free shipping orders come to me in about 4 days. But, I have had $100 come to me in 2 weeks.

brendajos
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I have found when I am in no hurry for something I have ordered from them that they come VERY quickly. If it is something I want right away though and don't pay the extra for the faster shipping, it takes 2 weeks to get to me. And I can't find a real pattern to it so I can judge whether it is worth paying or not. Thankfully most stuff I get from KP anymore I am not in a hurry for so I can just go with the free shipping. :)

schoen1605
09-23-2007, 02:03 PM
It's never taken more than a week for me to get a shipment. (I always choose free shipping and generally order just enough to qualify for free shipping.)

The speed my last order arrived astounded me. I placed the order on Wednesday and received it (in NJ) on Friday.

LindaB2603
09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Robyn, I had a package from them (free shipping) that was "misrouted" by the post office and it took 3 weeks to reach me--it was definitely the post office fault, not theirs. They did kindly offer to replace my shipment if the delay continued. I thought that showed good faith on their part. Most of my shipments receive in less than 10 days. I live in South Carolina. I just love their stuff and frankly the free shipping makes it affordable for me. Thanks!

colleenm
09-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I've been thrilled with KP's free shipping. I ordered items on a Saturday morning and they arrived Tuesday afternoon.
Can't beat that!
The following week I ordered stuff on a Friday afternoon and the order arrived Tuesday afternoon.
KP Rocks!!!

Jan in CA
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I ordered my Options on the 12th with free shipping and got them on the 18th. I think the delivery thing has more to do with USPS than anything. :shrug:

OkayKnits
09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree with Jan, Knitpicks always ships the package the same or next day but their shipping service is bad. The smartpost service that they use for shipping is very very slow and inconsistent. Sometimes my packages will arrive into the sorting station within one day and be stuck in the sorting station for almost a week! other times though, it gets released quickly from the sorting station to USPS.

Quiltlady
09-24-2007, 04:22 AM
A few days ago I called KP's and ordered the interchangeable set of Harmoney needles. They sent me an email a few hours later saying it was shipped out that same day :woot:with the free shipping. So I am hoping to get them here this week.:woohoo:

robynbird
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Knitpicks always ships the package the same or next day Well that isn't always the case either because I placed an order on the 7th and it was not packaged and shipped until the 11th! That was the one w/free shipping.

It really doesn't matter, I just thought I finally figured it out and really, it's just random. LOL I still love their stuff, especially their needles!!

suzeeq
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
When there's a weekend involved, they might not ship until the Monday following.

MMario
09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
When I've ordered from knitpicks the LONGEST it has taken for them to **SHIP** the item was still under 24 hours.

But once they ship it it is out of their hands. I've had "overnight" take 4 days - and the free standard USPS come in two days.

But since the USPS can take 10 days to get a first class letter from the local post office to my house (7 miles) the fact I get ANY parcels is a miracle.

DragonsChest
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Yep, I have always had to wait for my orders from KP to arrive.

According to the tracking through KP, my Harmony needles arrived in my city's main post office (and we're smallish, really), on Sept. 17. I still don't have them, went down to the post office in person and asked, they looked in the back and said they have no idea about it. They were also good enough to tell me that I could lodge a complaint after 14 days of not getting it.

So, sigh, I don't know. Guess I'll wait through the end of this week, and then contact KP -- see what they say. I don't know if it's really on KP's end, or the post office. :sad:

suzeeq
09-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Once they've shipped them, it's the post office.

Mommy22alyns
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Yep, I have always had to wait for my orders from KP to arrive.

According to the tracking through KP, my Harmony needles arrived in my city's main post office (and we're smallish, really), on Sept. 17. I still don't have them, went down to the post office in person and asked, they looked in the back and said they have no idea about it. They were also good enough to tell me that I could lodge a complaint after 14 days of not getting it.

So, sigh, I don't know. Guess I'll wait through the end of this week, and then contact KP -- see what they say. I don't know if it's really on KP's end, or the post office. :sad:

I had that happen with a fairly large order back in June. It got "mis-directed" to a nearby town's PO. KnitPicks kindly sent out replacement orders - in about 5 different packages. So that was nice - the unfortunate thing is that apparently my original packages were found and I got it all at the same time!

I think that is the last time I'm going to get the free shipping from them. My very first Options mini-set got here fast, but every other free shipping order took forever.

...dotty...
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I had a small issue with sock yarn snagging as it passed over my first set of fixed circulars from knitpicks, so I called and let them know. They told me they would send me a replacement, :muah:, and the next day, the 18th, I received an email saying that the replacement had shipped on the 20th ! I laughed, since that was still 2 days away, but apparently, that was when it was scheduled to ship, as I just received it today..............great customer service, but the new needle still has a place where the yarn grabs. I'll just use my jeweler's file on both of them.

robynbird
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I know once it's shipped, it out of KPs hands. However, the specific order I'm talking about was ordered early Friday morning but not shipped until Tuesday. Oh well.

DragonsChest I hope you get your package soon. The tracking said that it arrived at the Sac PO on the 17th but I didn't get it until the 21st. The P.O. is slow sometimes.

DragonsChest
09-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, lo and behold! I received my size 4 and 5 Harmony tips in the mail today. They look beautiful. I will have to wait a bit to actually use them, as everything but my Lemon Citris Socks are packed away while we tile the downstairs.

I'm really happy they arrived. :woohoo:

robynbird
09-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Yay!!

PaperGirl
09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Ive had times where the site says my order is still pending, yet the package is in my mailbox. :roflhard:

suzeeq
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
My order from Joann's was that way. It was still pending after a few days and I called to see if I could change it. It had already shipped and I got it the next day. About 3-4 days later I got email notification that it had shipped....