PDA

View Full Version : Baby banket kal

Ayla
09-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone was up to doing a baby blanket kal with me. I have al least 2 that I need to get done and I thought that if people knitted along with me it would make it go allot faster. So if you are interested please let me know.
p.s. the baby vlanket does not have to be a specific pattern that I am working on it could be one that you are working on. Ihope that I am making sense....

stagebear
09-23-2007, 10:55 AM
i'll join in. i have on otn now and i have to begin another one.

Doodknitwit
09-23-2007, 11:24 AM
:happydance:
I can p.m. my snailmail address

lucky_alf2
09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
I'll definitely join! I'm working on one now that I do in-between projects from some stash yarn (slow going lacey, but pretty) and am getting ready to cast on for a Dec-arriving niece and need to get another one done for Feb arriving niece -- maybe this will give mea kick-in-the-butt so I'm actually done early for once :)

webbfamily
09-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I would love to join this! I have one I need to do as well so I would love a KAL!

stacyk9
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I would love to join. I've got one otn right now that I have to get done by October 6th!!!:shock: Maybe this will get me moving on it!!!

Stacy

aprilbetty
09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll join in. Just found out yesterday that dd's baby, due in February, is a little girl. I immediately went on-line to find an appropriate blanket to knit, and started this one http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafheart.htm
last night. It will be perfect for a Valentine baby! I am doing it in Lion Pound of Love, pink, on size 9 needles. It is very soft. I think there is an error in the pattern, but it is pretty obvious, so it will not cause a problem.

What pattern is everybody else (or anybody else) using?

lucky_alf2
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
aprilbetty - that's such a cute idea for a Feb baby!! I may just have to steal that from you when I get to my niece's blanket, also due in Feb!!

bobi1218
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I have two to knit - DH's cousin is due in Nov and a good friend of mine is due in Jan, both with boys. I was thinking of doing a feather and fan for DH's cousin (it looks tougher than it really is, impress the inlaws, that sort of thing) and maybe a pinwheel blanket for my friend (sort of an off-the-wall free spirit sort of person, in a good way), though I've been contemplating a log cabin blanket for her instead lately.

I need to find yarn to start both blankets, I tried to start the F&F with Caron Simply Soft, but I couldn't stand it - too shiny and crunchy.

ETA: I finished this blanket for another friend, due in Oct: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4116091,00.html
It was really easy and came out really cute, unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of my finished blanket before I gave it to her :(

stagebear
09-25-2007, 07:48 PM
bobi, we're on the same timeline! my bf's cousin is due in november and his sister is due in january. i've already begun the one for his cousin, but i have yet to begin the pinwheel for his sister. (although i have just recently finished another pinwheel for my cousin)

aprilbetty
09-25-2007, 08:09 PM
aprilbetty - that's such a cute idea for a Feb baby!! I may just have to steal that from you when I get to my niece's blanket, also due in Feb!!
Hi Lucky Alf,
You will love the pattern. I have decided that there is no error in the pattern -- it's just that the picture does not match the pattern. I will take a picture of mine when I get a couple of repeats done.
Betty

hob
09-28-2007, 09:36 AM
i just found out my sisters baby is going to be a boy! so im off to get the blue yarn for her a baby blanket now....tho i havent picked a pattern yet.

stagebear
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
i'm now over two-thirds done with my ruffled blocks blanket, and the ruffle is nearly done! the rest should go pretty quickly - only 5 repeats left.

i still have to go out and buy the yarn for my next pinwheel. bernat just came out with a new striped boucle. my bf wants me to do the blanket for his sister just like the one i made for my cousin, so boucle it is. the stiped has the first shades of green i've like in their boucle line.

stagebear
10-04-2007, 02:16 AM
how's everyone doing with their blankets?

i just bound off my ruffled blocks blanket, so now all i have to do is attach the ruffle!

webbfamily
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I have had the yarn for a while but the pattern I bought just seems more advanced so I choose a different pattern. It's this one http://fortheloveofyarn.com/Issues/07Winter/patterns/winter07_pearlsblanket.shtml
Has anyone else started theirs? I can't wait to see your ruffled blocks blanket Stagebear!

lucky_alf2
10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
webbfamily - that's a very pretty pattern! What color is your yarn?

Here are some picture of my baby blanket WIP. I just love how pretty it is turning out. I do wish it was a different color (buttery yellow), but I've been really trying to knit up my stash....I need to start the blanket for my SIL soon tho or I worry I won't make her due date!

How's everyone else coming along?

aprildavis99
10-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Lucky-Alf, that is so beautiful. cloud9 Great job!!!:yay:

Can I join this too?
I am doing a couple of baby blankets, but they will be crochet. I have so many knit WIPs, but I need to get some blankets done quick, so crochet it will be since I can do that much faster. I hope that counts for this KAL.

I am, however, really eyeballing Lucky-Alf's blanket for the future. Sooo pweeety.:teehee:

lucky_alf2
10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Welcome aprildavis99! The more the merrier I say!

I tried to learn how to crochet, but I could never figure out how to hook it thru the existing row...so all I ended up with was one big long chain -- ha ha! I've been meaning to go down to Michaels and take a little class to figure it out, but never seem to have the time....some day.....I've heard crochet is faster, but uses more yarn.

fancyface
10-07-2007, 04:31 PM
send me the pattern if not to late.........

stagebear
10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
fancyface, it's not too late to join. there is no pattern though - we're all just working on our own patterns.

stagebear
10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Here is my Ruffled Blocks so far. I knew I would have to knit more ruffle, but I didnt know how much and I was anxious to get started on seaming, so now I have one side left.

ADAllen
10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
That ruffle looks great! I spent some major quality time with my blanket yesterday. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/1511717016_c81d96db57.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adallen/1511717016/)

Just a row and a half left and I can start the second one.

aprilbetty
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I finished my heart blanket -- now I just have to block it. ADAllen, I love yours with the different colored hearts. It is gorgeous!

lucky_alf2
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
:inlove: WoW!! Everyone's blankets are looking great!! ADAllen -- did you use intarsia for the different colors? Hearts seem to be a theme!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

stagebear
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
ooo - i love the heart blankets!

ADAllen
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
:inlove: WoW!! Everyone's blankets are looking great!! ADAllen -- did you use intarsia for the different colors? Hearts seem to be a theme!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
I did use intarsia. I also had to adjust the pattern. The pattern I am using is the same one that Aprilbetty made. Originally it is stockinette area with a reverse stockinette heart, but I made the hearts stockinette as well because the color didn't have very well defined lines in the reverse stockinette.

It is my first color work project and I'm kicking myself for it. Most of the time I have 11 different balls of yarn attached to the blanket. And I attach another five little pieces for each of the indents of the heart ( <3 <--this part) because I didn't want there to be loose yarn in the back for the baby's toes and fingers to pull on.

aprildavis99
10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Lucky-Alf, Yes, crochet is much faster, once you get the hang of it. Which is why I am doing crochet right now. I have 3 blankets to get out within the month. Darn people at work all getting pregnant at the same time...it must be in the water...lol. I had been procrastinating and now I need them done quick. Crochet does use more yarn, so it's either use more yarn or more time when it comes to choosing between knit or crochet...at least for baby blankets.

Stagebear, that ruffled blanket looks wonderful. cloud9

ADAllen and Aprilbetty, I love those heart blankets. It it so cool to see the same pattern done in very different styles. :muah:

I am crocheting the baby blanket I am doing in 12 12" squares. Half are blue/pink varigated yarn and the other half are plain white. I think I will do a diagonal pattern with the squares. I don't have any pics yet, but I will soon. ;)

bobi1218
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, everyone's blankets look great!!! Good work, guys :)

I'm about 1/4 of the way through my feather & fan blanket for DH's cousin. It's going pretty quickly, and I really like the way its turning out. I'm using Laines du Nord Baby Cover - so soft and warm, perfect for a winter baby.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/rpultorak/FeatherFanBlanket.jpg

hob
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
im sorry i havent started i know bad bad me i shall have to get my *** moving you blankets all look so nice. i am efentaly starting tomorow i promise!

hob
10-23-2007, 12:58 AM
ok ok i have finaly CO but dont be expecting anything good as i want minless tv knitting with this one.

aprildavis99
10-23-2007, 02:59 AM
I finished my crochet baby blanket. I didn't have an chance to take pics, though. I had to give it to the babycloud9

I did start another one for another co-worker. I am going to knit this one also. I am doing a very plain simple stockinette with a garter border. I need mindless right now also:aww:
This one is being done with Simply Soft in Jonquil on size 10s.:thumbsup:

BostonBecca
10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
I have a baby blanket going. The baby was born October 12th, and it is not done. I need this KAL.

You can see pictures on my blog and ravelry account (Knitting Defender).

onefriedegg
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Can I join too ?

I'm all ready knitting a baby blanket for my second grandchild that's due in mid December . I'm using the Devils baby blanket pattern in Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk , Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair book . I'm using " I Love This Yarn " in bright red and also a as a contrast for the horns and tail I'm using a shade darker red thread with a metallic sparkle to it .

webbfamily
10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I have about 20 or so inches to go on my KAL http://fortheloveofyarn.com/Issues/07Winter/patterns/winter07_pearlsblanket.shtml
I am using Blue Sky Organic Cotton in Willow. It really is turning out lovely and soft. I am hoping to have a ball left so that I can knit up a hat and some booties to go along with it. Anyone have a fave hat and bootie pattern?

stagebear
10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
here's my finished ruffled blocks blanket. i actually finished a little bit ago, but just got around to taking a pic. it's 32"x36". the baby girl was born yesterday.

stagebear
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
i also knit this one up really quickly. it's shandeh's pattern and i love the yarns together.

msmelody
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Is it too late for me to join? I have one blanket OTNs and two more need to be done before Christmas. Just found out that the babies due in Feb. will be induced at the end of December or beginning of January. Just my luck.

aprildavis99
10-30-2007, 12:57 AM
MSMelody...it's definitely not to late. Welcome.:star:
Stagebear...both blankets are gorgeous. Great job!:heart:

lucky_alf2
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
OOOOoooooh Nooooooo!

.:waah: .:waah: .:waah: .:waah: .:waah:

I realized yesterday while working on my blanket that the skein before the one I was almost through was not quite the same color of buttery baby yellow!!!!! I'm using stash baby yarn and I must have 2 colors of similar yarn in the stash or maybe years ago when I bought the yarn one of not quite the same color got mixed in --- it was a faint difference, but you could see a "band" -- so I sucked it up and frogged HALF the blanket! Oh it hurt -- about a month's work.....

....all DH said was, why didn't you just leave it in, you could hardly tell....so I needed to vent to some folks that would understand.....

:waah: .:waah: .:waah: .:waah: .:waah:

BostonBecca
10-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh I am sorry, that is so painful.

aprildavis99
10-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh nuts!!! I'm so sorry that happened. :shock:

Phooey on mismatched colors:ick:

hob
11-01-2007, 10:23 PM
i had to frog mine right back to the start!-sad- i acdently droped a st and it just got realy bad.oh well babys not due till feb.

lucky_alf2
11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
OH Hob -- I'm sorry to hear about the dropped stitch -- all the way back to the beginning :( I feel for you :(

March_girl16
11-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Sounds good, just that im busy with a hat im making
90 stitches
90 rows

msmelody
11-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Well, I have made some progress on my first blanket. It is now up to 20", so only 20" to go. Lately, I have been making so many mistakes, I am almost to the point of chucking it, but I promised my friend a handmade blanket. "It does get better" has become my mantra. Pictures when it is finally done.

chie96
11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I am new to knitting, but will start my 1st baby blanket on Mon. when my yarn arrives. It is for friends of ours who just had their 1st baby after a decade of trying. He is a very special little boy! I also need to make one for my precious nephew, who has already turned one. We have yet to send a baby present (bad Aunt) for him! This is my first KAL!!! :knitting:

hob
11-04-2007, 01:58 PM
im going to restart on monday so i dont see why u cant start then 2, im also knitting a promised handmade blanket for a boy hes not due to arive till jan or early feb but at this pace he shall get it when hes 1.

lucky_alf2
11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome chie96!!

webbfamily
11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I am almost finished with mine but am not sure if the length is where I want it.... it measures about 30-32 inches but I still have to add 15 rows of garter stitch. What length will your blankets be when you are finished?

msmelody
11-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Well, a week of knitting has put me to 27 1/2 inches. :woohoo: only 12 1/2 inches to go. Mine when done will be 32ish inches by 40ish inches. Hopefully it will be done by the 10th or 11th of November. Wish me luck.

Sunny_Singer
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
I started knitting a corner to corner baby blanket. A teen girl I know is having a baby in March. She hasn't a lot of help or support from her family - sadly.

I am using Bernat baby coordinates sweet stripes yarn.

The.Knitter
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I started a baby blanket yesterday. I am knitting it with DK yarn (don't know the brand name as it was in my stash, but if I were doing it again I would make it something a little bit thicker) and I am using the Ribs and Ruffles pattern and the stitch is called Eve's Rib. I started by CO 75 stitches, knit one row and started in on the pattern. I will make it about 24" long. It is wide enough to be used for a blanket to put over the car seat when little one is taken outside in the winter but airy enough so the child can breath under it. I am at 3 inches now. Can I join?

Sunny_Singer
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
What length will your blankets be when you are finished?

The pattern for this says 28 x 28.

I am using the pattern from the yarn package, so it should be pretty close to that size when I am done as my gauge was correct when I swatched it.

Sunny

aprildavis99
11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I started a baby blanket yesterday. I am knitting it with DK yarn (don't know the brand name as it was in my stash, but if I were doing it again I would make it something a little bit thicker) and I am using the Ribs and Ruffles pattern and the stitch is called Eve's Rib. I started by CO 75 stitches, knit one row and started in on the pattern. I will make it about 24" long. It is wide enough to be used for a blanket to put over the car seat when little one is taken outside in the winter but airy enough so the child can breath under it. I am at 3 inches now. Can I join?

Sure you can join. Welcome!!! Your blanket sounds great.cloud9

I am still working on my blanket. It's very simple and plain. I am using Caron Simply Soft in Jonquil (a bright yellow). I'm just doing a garter border with a stockinette center. I am putting 1 row of garter about every 20 rows so it's not totally plain. It sould be about 36x30 inches when I'm done. I needed a nice mindless knit since my other project is my first set of gloves. I'm about a 1/3 of the way done with the blanket. I have another I need to make soon, but I haven't decided what to do for that one yet.

msmelody
11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Okay, question time. I have a baby blanket that is about 32"ish by around 31-32"ish. Would I be a horrible person if I do not make it 40"? I am really tired of this blanket, and really need to work on the other two and get them to America before Christmas. Any advice would be nice.

The.Knitter
11-11-2007, 01:12 PM
That is a good "newborn" size blanket. If you are sick of it, bind it off and go on!!

aprildavis99
11-12-2007, 12:45 AM
DITTO!:mrgreen:

msmelody
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, I decided to go ahead and finish the last 20 pattern repeats so that it would be even and bind off. Then I talked to my friend, Brittany, and found out she will probably deliver early since contractions have started 6 six weeks early. The blanket just needs the ends woven in, and a picture for flickr, and into the mail it goes.

I have started the second blanket needed before Christmas, and will cast on for the third when I finish with KH.

chie96
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
OK - I CO my very 1st baby blanket a few days ago and I am really excited. At first I wasn't wild about the color of the yarn (I bought it from the Lion Brand site and the color on my screen wasn't exactly what I ended up with). But...I started knitting it anyhow and now I :heart: it! By my measurements, I am 20% finished. I hope to finish it by Sun. evening. We are having company this weekend so if I can't get it done, I at least want it done by Thanksgiving. TY for looking!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/chie96/tmpphpmXBzDw.jpg

onefriedegg
11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I finished my Devil's baby blanket . It turned out awesome . it's knit from one corner up and has a hood in one corner with horns ( it's a devils baby blanket after all ) and then has a pointed tail . I got the pattern from Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk Divorced and Covered In Cat Hair .

the grandbaby I knit this for should be born in about three weeks or so .

bobi1218
11-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm almost finished my fan & feather baby blanket :) I'm on the border now, I should be able to bind off tonight. I'll get a picture up tomorrow, hopefully!

I started my third blanket a few nights ago, too - I'm doing the modern log cabin baby blanket from Mason-Dixon Knitting, in primary colors. The friend I'm knitting this for is due in January, but she's gone early in the past, so I'm hoping to finish it by mid-December.

lizardknits
11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I am almost finished with mine but am not sure if the length is where I want it.... it measures about 30-32 inches but I still have to add 15 rows of garter stitch. What length will your blankets be when you are finished?
mine will probly be 36 square (the one in progress, the other one im making will probably be 40 inches square with the crocheted edging i will add after all the seaming is done)
can I join this KAL?

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I had to put my blanket on hold for a few days. I am knitting a pair of cheater fingerless gloves for the DH because the ones I knit for him are far too big and stretched out of shape when he wore them. I have one done and will finish the second one tonight. I am also knitting the Teddy All-In-One for someone at the same time.

aprildavis99
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I finished my Devil's baby blanket . It turned out awesome . it's knit from one corner up and has a hood in one corner with horns ( it's a devils baby blanket after all ) and then has a pointed tail . I got the pattern from Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk Divorced and Covered In Cat Hair .

the grandbaby I knit this for should be born in about three weeks or so .
:woohoo: I just got that book from the library and the blanket looks so very cute.

msmelody
11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Started the two hearts blankets, and will have to frog one of them. For some reason I keep making mistakes with one of the blankets. I am doing the same pattern with two blankets, but I make mistakes with one and not the other. Can someone please explain this to me? I am confused and want them in the mail before December 15.

The.Knitter
11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Sometimes when I find myself making mistake after mistake I walk away for a day, an afternoon, a few minutes, whatever I can grab. Clear the mind and take a break and then go back at it with a fresh attitude. Good luck on your deadline!

msmelody
11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks, I frogged it. Now I am recasting on. I really need to get them done so that the arrived before the girls do. I pray that my fingers, and children allow me to get them done.

The.Knitter
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Good luck to you! Remember if you are overtired or stressing too much about it, that is the time you will make your mistakes. Be kind to yourself. You are, perhaps, trying too hard!

msmelody
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I know I am trying to hard, but one of the twin is only given 50/50 chance of living at birth. I want her parents to have something to bury her in if that is the way the Lord chooses for it to go. If she lives (which is what we are praying for) then I want them to have something pretty and warm for them.

That and the faster I finish the blankets, the sooner I get back to knitting socks, and other things that I love knitting.

The.Knitter
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
My most positive thoughts go out to the Mom, the Dad, the precious babies and to you. Again I say to you, be kind to yourself. I understand now what is going on, that you are putting every bit of love and hope you possess into that blanket. I applaud you for this. Just remember to be good to yourself and patient with yourself while you are doing this very hard task. Hugs to you from Canada!

msmelody
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, after visiting the frog pond, I am now about 35% done with both blankets. I am really amazed at my progress considering how bad I feel. I just hope I can finish on time.

Ayla
12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Gee it has been a very very long time since I started this kal. So sorry I have not posted in a long time. The blanket can be anything knitted or crocheted. I am still working on the blanket I planned for my little one I am on row 28 I think...it is going fast but slow at the same time. I am sure many of you know what I am talking about. How is everyone else doing on their blankets? I will hopefully post a picture here soon. Although I am not following the pattern guagewise because I wanted my blanket bigger anyway. I wanted to have her blanket done along time ago and now she is crawling! Gee time flies again so sorry for the not posting in a long long time things have come up and I have had to deal with a sudden death so please forgive me. Hope things are well with all!

msmelody
12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I am now about 60% done with both blankets, and the end is coming near. The babies can be born within the next two weeks or so. So I do not think they will arrive before the girls do, but Lord willing, they will be in the mail before Abigail and Bethany arrive. Wish me luck.

aprildavis99
12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Good Luck, msmelody. I just missed my deadline. My friend had her baby yesterday and I still have about 1/3 to go. I better get on the ball. I think I should have it done in a couple of days. It will be nice to bring it on by to her along with a fully cooked meal for her family.cloud9

msmelody
12-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Both blankets are done. One took 29 days, and the second one took 30 days. They will go into the mail on Monday. My friend will either give birth by Thursday or she will be put on a list to be induced. She is starting to swell too much for the doctor's liking. She plans on bringing the girls home in my blankets.:woohoo: :cheering: :happydance:

Thank you for all y'all encouragement.

lizardknits
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Both blankets are done. One took 29 days, and the second one took 30 days. They will go into the mail on Monday. My friend will either give birth by Thursday or she will be put on a list to be induced. She is starting to swell too much for the doctor's liking. She plans on bringing the girls home in my blankets.:woohoo: :cheering: :happydance:

Thank you for all y'all encouragement.

check out www.myspace.com/stitchingstitchfan

for pictures of my finished baby blanket

its a diagonal made with Pound of Love in yellow

Ayla
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi all!
I finally finished my finals and can now at least knit more on the blanmket(s) yay! Anyway to all newcomers I just wanted to say that it is never to late to join! I started this kal in the hopes of encouragement on making blamkets( as they are a big project and I know at least I need encouragement to keep going because well lets just say that there are times I want to chuck my blanket in the trash) anyway there is no time limit to join or get done the only requirements are that you encourage other people, you post your progress every so often, and you never give up on the blanket you are making. Speaking of progress I am still making the baby blanket but( i will admit this) I have started a cable blanket :zombie:( this blanket is huge and one of my own design the finished size will be at least 6 ft by 6 ft:whoosh: just writing that I am getting :eyes: dizzy) Anyway I hope all are well and keep up the great work on your blankets. I will be :X:(knitting away) so wish me luck! Hope things are well!:)

Ayla
12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
well here is a new update I am on row 36 with the blanket for my daughter ( I made a mistake and my husband won't let me fix it * sigh*) and with the cable blanket I have almost 2 ft done ( making it scarf style) anyway just thought that I would let you know where I am at with my blankets. Hope things are well and Merry Christmas!

Miley384
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
When making large things like blankets, I prefer crocheting. Is that okay?

stagebear
12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
here's my 2nd pinwheel:
Pattern: Pinwheel Blanket (http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm)
Yarn: Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Boucle in Green/Cream, 0.8 skeins. Bernat Soft Boucle in Natural, 0.75 skeins.
Needles: Size 8
Border: 2 rows in st stitch and 10 rows in garter; bound off in knit with the main color.
Final measurments: 37" diameter
Knit for: Kate & Tim's baby - Caleb John (born on December 19th) - just in time for a Christmas gift
Time spent knitting: 1 month.
Changes I’d make next time: none.

aprildavis99
12-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I finished the knit blanket I started. :woohoo: It's knit in stockinette with a garter border and about every 20 rows I added a single garter ridge to give it some texture. I was making it sideways...working along the long edge of the blanket. It turned out to be 38 inches long and 27 inches wide. I was hoping to make it a bit wider, but I ran out of yarn. :nails: I am on a yarn ban per my hubby since I just bought a $55 hank of lace weight yarn. :roll: It think it will be ok, though.

I am starting my next one. It will be a giant crocheted granny square using to different but similar variegated yarns. One is Red heart Pink Camoflauge and the other is Cherry Chip. They both have pinks and browns, one is paler and the other is dark. I will put a cream colored yarn in between. Should work up quickly.

Ayla
01-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Regarding blankets if you are more comfortable using crochet to make your blanket then by all means do so. Congradulations to Aprildavis99 for the completion of your blanket! So sorry for the short post but I have a grandmother who is being rude..Not to mention the fact that I have to take care of my cute little one. Hope things are well and happy new year!

lizardknits
01-31-2008, 07:42 AM
becca, how big is your blanket that you finnished and what sort of gauge does it have?

rorygilmore
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I would love to this KAL, I'm working on a login cabin blanket for my unborn boy. I'm using yarn I hand dyed. My blanket is about 12x12 right now, maybe a little bigger. I don't know how big its going to be yet, I only have four skeins of yarn which are 220 yards each.

Stagebear,I love that green and cream pinwheel blanket! :heart:

lizardknits
03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I am mostly done with the baby blanket that I made in squares. I hope to have pictures of it within a few weeks. i started a new project today. a baby blanket in pale green.

Hugg
03-21-2008, 12:36 AM
If this is something that might be ongoing, I want IN lol I have a grand daughter due July 4th. I just finished a crocheted ripple blanket using the bernat baby stripes yarn. I would MUCH rather knit them. My grandson who will be 4 on Monday has decided that I have to make him one tooooo. I just have NO idea what colors or what pattern to use for a lil boy. I know I want to make the hearts baby blanket that the link on the first (or second) post showed. I have the lion brand pound of love in turquoise for it. My daughter doesn't want a bunch of pink and loves the aqua color.

I just need motivation so I don't start on them and toss them aside because I found a bazillion other projects I just HAVE to do :teehee:

lizardknits
03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
If this is something that might be ongoing, I want IN lol I have a grand daughter due July 4th. I just finished a crocheted ripple blanket using the bernat baby stripes yarn. I would MUCH rather knit them. My grandson who will be 4 on Monday has decided that I have to make him one tooooo. I just have NO idea what colors or what pattern to use for a lil boy. I know I want to make the hearts baby blanket that the link on the first (or second) post showed. I have the lion brand pound of love in turquoise for it. My daughter doesn't want a bunch of pink and loves the aqua color.

I just need motivation so I don't start on them and toss them aside because I found a bazillion other projects I just HAVE to do :teehee:
try the pound of love pattern

kayrun
03-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I finished the knit blanket I started. :woohoo: It's knit in stockinette with a garter border and about every 20 rows I added a single garter ridge to give it some texture. I was making it sideways...working along the long edge of the blanket. It turned out to be 38 inches long and 27 inches wide. I was hoping to make it a bit wider, but I ran out of yarn. :nails: I am on a yarn ban per my hubby since I just bought a $55 hank of lace weight yarn. :roll: It think it will be ok, though.

This sounds really simple, but classic!
And would work for either gender....
Did you use worsted wt yarn?
And approx. how many st. did you cast on?
Thanks for the help,
Karen G
in GA

lizardknits
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I am mostly done with the baby blanket that I made in squares. I hope to have pictures of it within a few weeks. i started a new project today. a baby blanket in pale green.
i have finnished the green blanket and I now have pictures of the other blanket
green blanket
http://photos-080.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v192/50/3/193901080/s193901080_30693033_6499.jpg

big patchwork blanket (my first baby blanket)
http://photos-080.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v192/50/3/193901080/s193901080_30693032_6211.jpg
this blanket will probably be saved for when I have kids

lizardknits
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I am now making the heirloom baby blanket http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/baby.html in Caron Simply Soft in Soft Green. I have made one panel and have gotten halfway through the next panel. I have started the border as well. Since I am using a worsted weight yarn, I will make 6 panels and the border instead of 7 and the border.

lizardknits
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
im working on finnishing panel five
the border is definitely getting somewher
I hope to have a picture to share soon (at least of the progress)

lizardknits
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I finished that blanket
I am seaming it together
id like some advice
my cousin's wife is due in December with her first child and does not want to know what she s having, so the baby blanket that she has commisioned for me to make will be in mint green and light yellow stripes (made in strips, to be sewn together later). I want to do an original pattern for the blanket, and since babies love texture, I want to do different stitch types for the different color strip(e)s.(two different types of stitches for the two different colors of strips). Purl ridges and moss stitch or seed stitch and moss stitch were my ideas for the blanket. (one for one color and one for the other color). I want to do the strips in about the same width that the strips were in the blanket that I am seaming right now (about 5-5 and a half inches wide, so about 27-29 stitches to cast on for any strip). I want to do it green, yellow, green, yellow, green, yellow ( I want to make six strips) as the order of placement for the strips when I seam it together. I want to do a border for the blanket but im not sure if it is necesary. If I do a border, I thiought about doing a scalloped eyelet edging or a basic lace trim (enough to go around all four sides) in green. I want the finished dimensions to be somewhat like that of the Heirloom Knit Baby blanket (the blanket that I am seaming together right now).

(note to all members reading this- all of the stitch type patterns are on lion brand's website under the FAQ in stitchfinder).
thanks

lizardknits
08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
im working on finnishing panel five
the border is definitely getting somewher
I hope to have a picture to share soon (at least of the progress)

the blanket is done

yay!!!!:woohoo: :woot: :happydance:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v335/131/122/169803943/n169803943_30773491_1779.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v335/131/122/169803943/n169803943_30773492_8613.jpg

made in Simply Soft in the color Soft Green

approximate size- 35x42

time- 3 months to make

susi
09-01-2008, 04:40 AM
[quote=lucky_alf2;977123]webbfamily - that's a very pretty pattern! What color is your yarn?

Here are some picture of my baby blanket WIP. I just love how pretty it is turning out. I do wish it was a different color (buttery yellow), but I've been really trying to knit up my stash....I need to start the blanket for my SIL soon tho or I worry I won't make her due date!

i love your blanket, do you have the pâttern link or name as i'd love to make that one please

I have 1 on the go right now, its a stash one. just really basic one, it may end up being a bit bigger than a baby one as its for ds who's 5 justtp throw over him when its chilly

lizardknits
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/baby.html
its a free pattern
I only had to modify it for the yarn weight (I used worsted weight yarn, so I made six panels instead of seven)

susi
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/baby.html
its a free pattern
I only had to modify it for the yarn weight (I used worsted weight yarn, so I made six panels instead of seven)
thank you so much, i will add that oe to the to so list. i only have 1 blanket that i am working on, so as sopon as thats done i'll get cracking on this one :)

knitandpurl520
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Hello!

Sure, I'll join.. I have one OTN now as a baby shower present. It doesn't have a pattern, just st st with a garter st border, so it doesn't curl.

How's everyone else's blankets going?

aprilbetty
03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm glad this is an ongoing KAL because I have started another baby blanket. I am using this "Baby Bear" pattern: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby-child/merino5-bear-baby-blankt.html
I am using soft blue Bernat Satin for a baby boy. I will post a picture soon of my progress.

aprilbetty
03-16-2009, 09:30 AM
This is my progress so far. I have made the borders 2.5 in. to give a 'frame' to the bears, and also because I am not using two strands of the yarn, as the pattern suggested. I am using one strand, and size 8 needles. I have 3 bears across, and with the borders, the blanket is 30 in. wide. I may do four rows of bears. The pattern is fun and easy to do -- only knit and purl -- but I would not call it a beginner pattern, because the instructions are not "beginner" style.